Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

AlmightyBob posted:

Arnold is in the wwe all of fame too

he was one of andre's best friends and one time he tried to sneak out and pay for andre's meal because andre always insisted on paying the tab for any meals he had with friends becuase of how much he ate and andre saw what he was trying to do. so andre picked arnold up like a child and placed him back in his chair and paid for the meal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he was one of andre's best friends and one time he tried to sneak out and pay for andre's meal because andre always insisted on paying the tab for any meals he had with friends becuase of how much he ate and andre saw what he was trying to do. so andre picked arnold up like a child and placed him back in his chair and paid for the meal

lmao i love that story

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
in the 90's they wanted to make a watchmen movie with dr. manhattan played by arnold and we were robbed of this cinematic masterpiece

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

snergle posted:

arnold also knew how to get his rivals to pick bad movies by pretending he was interested then backing out. see stop or mom will shoot.
You know the funny thing is Arnold also starred in an awful franchise-ending DC superhero movie, but unlike the Rock he didn't spend the aftermath going on a crusade screaming about how it was actually amazing and Warner Bros. was trying to ruin his career.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

OneEightHundred posted:

You know the funny thing is Arnold also starred in an awful franchise-ending DC superhero movie, but unlike the Rock he didn't spend the aftermath going on a crusade screaming about how it was actually amazing and Warner Bros. was trying to ruin his career.

And rightly, because he loving owned that role and his terrible puns and polar bear slippers are fond memories of a generation.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

The Rock can only dream of having the sauce that Arnold brought to that role.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I still believe that movie only failed the way that it did because George Clooney didn't understand what was happening and tried to play it like it was a real movie instead of a cartoon. Imagine Batman & Robin with Bruce Campbell as Batman instead.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

Matinee posted:

The Rock can only dream of having the sauce that Arnold brought to that role.

These comparisons are all tough to read after Arnold passed the torch to Rock in the hit feature film The Rundown.

Was Arnold mistaken???????????

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
the rock got too big for his britches and thought he was too big to fail

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

in the 90's they wanted to make a watchmen movie with dr. manhattan played by arnold and we were robbed of this cinematic masterpiece

I really want to hear the "I am tired of this planet" speech in Arnold's voice now

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Arnold rules:

https://youtu.be/tj8TmXbfKds?feature=shared

BodyMassageMachine fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 4, 2024

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Gavok posted:

It honestly got kind of sad. They did a show that was all one big tribute to his career, and Rock didn’t even send a video message or anything their way. They even promoted Red Notice, a Netflix movie starring the Rock, and instead of having anything to do with the Rock himself, they just had segments where Vince walked around with an egg prop from the movie and a mystery over who stole it from his office.

This was also around the time that Rock DID appear on TNA in a video message for Ken Shamrock, making the wwe snubs a whole lot funnier

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I really want to hear the "I am tired of this planet" speech in Arnold's voice now

ah am tired of these planet... these people (arnold screaming)

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

arnold is what so many loser fake self-made men claim to be he came to the country with nothing but through hardwork and determination bullied and tormented lou ferrigno into winning mr olympia and becoming a multi-millionaire

He also venomusly denies being a self-made man, too. Like he credits his bodybuilding coach for bringing him to America, he credits the directors and producers of Conan and The Terminator for his big break and all helping him get to where he is today.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

some of it is scripted but its a compelling story of one austrian man being an incredible rear end in a top hat its a pro watch

I really must argue that Arnold is being 'an rear end in a top hat'.

Assholes act like assholes all the time, no matter what. Arnold is being a competitor. He's using psychology. He's solely behaving like a jerk to get an edge in a competition. He's not cheating, he's not actually trying to cause pain to his rivals, he just wants to throw them off enough so that he can win. He succeeds. Yes, pretending to be Lou's friend is a pretty jerkass move, but honestly, these are sometimes the lessons one has to learn. I suspect if Arnold had retired from preformative bodybuilding at the time and was actually Lou's friend and supporting him, he would have been doing the same stuff to Lou's rivals instead. And when the competition was over, well, maybe Arnold was never really his friend, but he wasn't his enemy either. He took winning very seriously. Had it not worked, had Lou seen through him and won, Arnold probably would have congratulated him for it.

Maybe. I have never met the man, I have no idea what goes on in his head, all I can do is make guesses based on presented evidence. And someone who does stuff like tell his Nazi father and fellows to kill themselves and gives credit to others for his success is either not an rear end in a top hat or rapidly grew out of being one and probably regrets the nastier side of what he did to win.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lucky Guy posted:

Doom Patrol ruled

Hell yeah, underrated show

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Cornwind Evil posted:

I really must argue that Arnold is being 'an rear end in a top hat'.

Assholes act like assholes all the time, no matter what. Arnold is being a competitor. He's using psychology. He's solely behaving like a jerk to get an edge in a competition. He's not cheating, he's not actually trying to cause pain to his rivals, he just wants to throw them off enough so that he can win. He succeeds. Yes, pretending to be Lou's friend is a pretty jerkass move, but honestly, these are sometimes the lessons one has to learn. I suspect if Arnold had retired from preformative bodybuilding at the time and was actually Lou's friend and supporting him, he would have been doing the same stuff to Lou's rivals instead. And when the competition was over, well, maybe Arnold was never really his friend, but he wasn't his enemy either. He took winning very seriously. Had it not worked, had Lou seen through him and won, Arnold probably would have congratulated him for it.

Maybe. I have never met the man, I have no idea what goes on in his head, all I can do is make guesses based on presented evidence. And someone who does stuff like tell his Nazi father and fellows to kill themselves and gives credit to others for his success is either not an rear end in a top hat or rapidly grew out of being one and probably regrets the nastier side of what he did to win.

he is but parts of the documentary were scripted to add more drama

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
billy mitchell is history's greatest monster

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I liked Legends of Tomorrow because they embraced the cheese and low budget and it worked. Whereas every single episode of Flash has him being defeated by a rouge because he wasn't fast enough.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

billy mitchell is history's greatest monster

I assume you mean the Donkey Kong guy. Yes, now HE is an rear end in a top hat, and also, a cheater. Maybe Arnold was an rear end in a top hat, but as far as I know, he won all those contests legitimately within their rules.

Bonzo posted:

I liked Legends of Tomorrow because they embraced the cheese and low budget and it worked. Whereas every single episode of Flash has him being defeated by a rouge because he wasn't fast enough.

To be fair, Flash generally needs to have his main power handicapped because otherwise he could probably solve every problem in literal seconds, if not a literal seconD.

Hey Gavok, list some of the truly ludicrous things the Flash has done in the comics. If he only had constant access to his power at 1/50th of the states he reached to do them, he'd still be virtually invincible.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 4, 2024

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And rightly, because he loving owned that role and his terrible puns and polar bear slippers are fond memories of a generation.

100%

That summer we would theatre hop to watch a bit of B&R every time we went to a different movie. I've probably seen it close to a dozen times, though maybe once from beginning to end.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I love it someone use AI to insert Trump and Trump Jr into Batman Returns. I've always suspected that's who Max Shreck is based on.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Bonzo posted:

I love it someone use AI to insert Trump and Trump Jr into Batman Returns. I've always suspected that's who Max Shreck is based on.

it probably was because trump was the basis for a lot of sleazy new york businessmen in films before he became prez

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I've told people wrestling is just a live stage version of a superhero cinematic universe, complete with prima donna performers jockeying for position behind the scenes. And Rock's in both!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it probably was because trump was the basis for a lot of sleazy new york businessmen in films before he became prez

Oh I get it. I'm old enough to remember Trump as just some rich rear end in a top hat giving Robin Leech a tour of his home. Years of Trump business failure jokes on The Tonight Show but that same crowd voted for him. Probably because of all the kayfabe on The Apprentice and people think it's a real contest and he's super good, the best businessman.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
trump bought the WWE in kayfabe and it tanked the company stock so vince had to "buy" his company back from trump on the next episode of raw because of it lol

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

The movie would have ended with Dr. Manhattan going back in time to prevent his origin, which would have transported Rorschach, Nite Owl, and Silk Spectre into "the real world" where somebody exclaims, "Christ almighty, it's the goddamn Watchmen!" The end.

Cornwind Evil posted:

Hey Gavok, list some of the truly ludicrous things the Flash has done in the comics. If he only had constant access to his power at 1/50th of the states he reached to do them, he'd still be virtually invincible.

It's hard to come up with a good list when it all boils down to "dude is so fast that he did whatever he wanted, time and space be damned."

My mind does go to the YouTube series Death Battle, where they match characters against each other, go over their lore, animate a fight, then explain with LORE MATH why one guy won. Early on, before they went deep enough with their research, they did Mario vs. Sonic, which ended with Sonic winning simply because he's fast. About a decade later, they redid the match, but they had to make sure that they were only using their video game selves, because Sonic in the Archie Comics series was far too broken to make it fair. And keep in mind, they were going with, "Mario is excessively strong because look at him kick one of the castles into the distance in this Super Mario World cutscene!" and that was still going to make him out of his league against Comics Sonic.

But they did put Comics Sonic up against Wally West Flash in a battle to see who was more broken and ridiculously overpowered. Flash won because his bullshit breaks the scale way more.

Bonzo posted:

Recently, I realized that Max Jr. was played by Zangief from the live-action Street Fighter movie and it shattered my world.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Gavok posted:

The movie would have ended with Dr. Manhattan going back in time to prevent his origin, which would have transported Rorschach, Nite Owl, and Silk Spectre into "the real world" where somebody exclaims, "Christ almighty, it's the goddamn Watchmen!" The end.

Wouldn't anybody in the real world just say, "Hey, nice Watchmen costumes."?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gavok posted:

But they did put Comics Sonic up against Wally West Flash in a battle to see who was more broken and ridiculously overpowered. Flash won because his bullshit breaks the scale way more.

Is "His pants are made of GO FAST!" still banned? It was at one point but I thought it rather succinctly explained what is so broken about Flash and his comics specifically.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Animal-Mother posted:

Wouldn't anybody in the real world just say, "Hey, nice Watchmen costumes."?

I like Gavok, but this is a bad take

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I still can't get over the fact that Trump believed Vince blew up in that limo

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I still can't get over the fact that Trump believed Vince blew up in that limo

lol

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Bonzo posted:

I resent that. Max Schreck was ruthless and whatnot, but he was also efficient and menacing. Nobody in the whole loving world is going to be directly menaced by Donald loving Trump. By his cronies or the basic fact that a system exists that allows him to succeed? Sure, but Trump is too much of a moron to directly assault people without assistance. A character played by Christopher loving Walken is too cool to be based on that orange failure.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

trump bought the WWE in kayfabe and it tanked the company stock so vince had to "buy" his company back from trump on the next episode of raw because of it lol

WWE investors also thought Vince died for real on live TV when they did an angle where his limo exploded. The stock fell something like 8% in after-hours trading that night.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Wasn't that also around the time Benoit did the Thing? It's pretty easy to conflate several things here.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Defiance Industries posted:

WWE investors also thought Vince died for real on live TV when they did an angle where his limo exploded. The stock fell something like 8% in after-hours trading that night.

no loving way

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
pics or it didn't happen

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Grendels Dad posted:

Wasn't that also around the time Benoit did the Thing? It's pretty easy to conflate several things here.

Yes, the Benoit murders happened that same week.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Defiance Industries posted:

Yes, the Benoit murders happened that same week.

Ha ha. Yup. That's how we found out Vince didn't really die in that limo. He made a public appearance introducing the remembrance video of Chris Benoit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
pretty sure that isn't available on WWE entertainment anymore