Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Froghammer posted:

I distinctly remember Braska's Final Aeon being loving impossible without Magus Sisters and trivially easy with them, but I was also 13 so who knows how accurate that is to anyone else's experiences first time through

I also remember him being hard when I was first playing and had no idea what I was doing.

But Aeons by the endgame, especially Anima or Magus Sisters, will destroy everything no problem so you can get by like that.

Whenever I go through FFX again I really wanna step out of my comfort zone and use a different party by Calm Lands. It never fails but by then I always stick to just Tidus, Rikku, and Auron. It's just the perfectly rounded team. Rikku is insanely fast and has a ton of great items for status effects or healing, Auron is a mountain of HP and hits really hard, and Tidus is kind of in the middle, hitting decently hard, being decently fast, and has Haste to boot.

I wanna see how a team of Wakka, Lulu, and Kimahri might do instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Froghammer posted:

I distinctly remember Braska's Final Aeon being loving impossible without Magus Sisters and trivially easy with them, but I was also 13 so who knows how accurate that is to anyone else's experiences first time through

BFA is a very hard final boss if you fight him at a normal level. He hits like a truck and gets constant passive healing/overdrive from the Yu Pagodas, which get harder to kill each time they reactivate.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, BFA is a solidly difficult final boss if you hit the final dungeon straight for Zanarkand, but he doesn't really hold up if you do any real amount of endgame grinding. In particular, any form of Break Damage Limit and the ability to actually do the damage limit-breaking damage (like Anima and the Magus Sisters) kinda rip BFA to shreds without too much trouble because he's built to be an endurance fight.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Froghammer posted:

He absolutely wrecked me the last time I replayed it, I was really surprised because I didn't remember having that much trouble with him ever before. But then I taught Yuna Ultima and that was all it took to demolish him.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Whenever I play FFX, Yuna always ends up completely replacing Lulu in the party once she gets access to black magic. She just does so much more damage.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah at least with the standard grid (not sure about expert), Yuna will naturally end up with much higher magic than Lulu (also assuming you mostly keep each character in their own section for most of the game). She does that while also having much, much higher speed than Lulu, and that makes a huge difference.

Once Yuna had Ultima, she could reliably hit 9999 on the Yu Pagodas which meant that their whole escalating max HP thing was never an issue, because they'd just always have 9999. Made it effortless to keep them down.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yuna's ultimate weapon is also one of the easier to acquire while Lulu's is part of the reason why you can say things like Yuna's is easier to acquire.

My end game party in FFX was entirely dictated by ease of weapon acquisition so come on down Rikku, Yuna, Auron.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

playing Remake for the first time and lmfao there's a photo of Shinra from X-2 in the Shinra building museum

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I definitely got Lulu's ultimate way more quickly and easily than Auron's.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The thing is that the ultimate weapons for Yuna, Auron, and Rikku are all obtained by playing the main game, whereas the others are all acquired from minigames. That's why those three are the only ones I've gotten. I don't have the patience for Wakka's, Lulu's, or Tidus', and I never figured out what the game even wants from me to get Kimahri's.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

The thing is that the ultimate weapons for Yuna, Auron, and Rikku are all obtained by playing the main game, whereas the others are all acquired from minigames. That's why those three are the only ones I've gotten. I don't have the patience for Wakka's, Lulu's, or Tidus', and I never figured out what the game even wants from me to get Kimahri's.

The game wants you to get a cushion for Kimahri to be more comfortable on the bench

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

playing Remake for the first time and lmfao there's a photo of Shinra from X-2 in the Shinra building museum

I hope this mean part three ends with Cloud fist-bumping Tidus in the Lifestream.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Welp. Finished Stranger of Paradise. Pre-DLC SoP, that is; I might do those DLCs at some point, but that back end doesn't exactly make me want to come back.

Jack... did not get better after he started asking questions. He got worse, actually. I'll grant that I respect a game that makes me confront new feelings and thoughts I hadn't considered before, but I don't think it meant to.

SoP is officially the only game where I wished it ended with the protagonist being beaten to death in the street after he assaulted a woman. I wasn't exactly fond of him before that point, and there was no redeeming him afterwards. The game's exclusively tell-don't-show method of trying to explain the story couldn't overcome that; I don't care if a lore drop calls Jack 'pure', he punched out Princess Sara because she was arguing with him. He's scum that everyone around him keeps saying has a 'good heart'.

On the upside, the final boss was actually kinda difficult. Mostly because the small arena made it hard to keep up teleporting away from their attacks.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Why did you even come back to post in this thread?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

RevolverDivider posted:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RevolverDivider posted:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I beat the remake and rebirth back to back. I've never played such good games that have such rough patches. The good parts of those games blow everything else out of the water and cover up so many video game crimes it committed. Top 10 experience honestly, but if it had another year in the oven rebirth could have the true video game GOAT.

I love weird FF songs and this one is an all timer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVk6jv-I7XY

Another weird FF song I love:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txEbcmDKrYE

I started laughing so hard when the lyrics started it was so out of place compared to everything else in FFX but its also so good

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cleretic you must know that this take is so blazing hot that no one will ever engage with it seriously.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

RevolverDivider posted:

Because this is the Final Fantasy megathread, and I just hit the credits of a Final Fantasy game?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

Welp. Finished Stranger of Paradise. Pre-DLC SoP, that is; I might do those DLCs at some point, but that back end doesn't exactly make me want to come back.

Jack... did not get better after he started asking questions. He got worse, actually. I'll grant that I respect a game that makes me confront new feelings and thoughts I hadn't considered before, but I don't think it meant to.

SoP is officially the only game where I wished it ended with the protagonist being beaten to death in the street after he assaulted a woman. I wasn't exactly fond of him before that point, and there was no redeeming him afterwards. The game's exclusively tell-don't-show method of trying to explain the story couldn't overcome that; I don't care if a lore drop calls Jack 'pure', he punched out Princess Sara because she was arguing with him. He's scum that everyone around him keeps saying has a 'good heart'.

On the upside, the final boss was actually kinda difficult. Mostly because the small arena made it hard to keep up teleporting away from their attacks.

Cleretic posted:

Because this is the Final Fantasy megathread, and I just hit the credits of a Final Fantasy game?

Shut the gently caress up you dummy!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Just hit the credits of playthrough 25 of FF5, making my mandatory post to notify you all.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Cleretic posted:

Nobody can even bother engaging with you because you warp the narratives of things you talk about to fit whatever pre-conceived notion you made up the moment you saw the first footage of a story to the point where it barely even resembles reality, and people don't want to talk about the bizarre version of games that only exist in your head.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Just hit the credits of playthrough 25 of FF5, making my mandatory post to notify you all.

Was worried Id have to call your Role Officer and report you missing.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Mega64 posted:

Final Fantasy V is officially the only game where I wished it ended with the protagonist being beaten to death in the street after he creeped on a woman. I wasn't exactly fond of him before that point, and there was no redeeming him afterwards. The game's exclusively tell-don't-show method of trying to explain the story couldn't overcome that; I don't care if a lore drop calls Bartz's dad a "Dawn Warrior", he peeped on Faris while she was sleeping. He's scum that everyone around him keeps saying has a "good heart".

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

RevolverDivider posted:

Nobody can even bother engaging with you because you warp the narratives of things you talk about to fit whatever pre-conceived notion you made up the moment you saw the first footage of a story to the point where it barely even resembles reality, and people don't want to talk about the bizarre version of games that only exist in your head.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

God bless Cleretic and their weird takes that make nerds super irrationally mad

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I want Cloud to shove his sword deep into Elena, repeatedly. With lots of blood. Maybe even cut her head off. And then I want him to do it to Scarlet.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

RevolverDivider posted:

I'm sorry that you seem to ignore or downplay that he literally punches a woman out for arguing with him. Like, that's not 'warping the narrative', that is the literal text of that scene. That's a step too far for me, even if it apparently isn't for you.

I keep comparing him to Jotaro Kujo, and I actually didn't bring up that I dislike Jotaro for a very similar reason. I didn't bring that up because I just assumed that something like that wouldn't happen in this, so it would've just felt like a weird non-sequitir of a comparison point, but... welp.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What the gently caress is going on in this thread.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

*looks at thread*
*looks at Cleretic's Redtext*

People are ignoring Cleretic's Redtext instead of ignoring Cleretic.

So, business as usual.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Mega64 posted:

thanks! :cheers:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Salt Fish posted:

Mega64 beat Final Fantasy 5 again
:stoked:

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I'm sorry that you seem to ignore or downplay that he literally punches a woman out for arguing with him. Like, that's not 'warping the narrative', that is the literal text of that scene. That's a step too far for me, even if it apparently isn't for you.

I keep comparing him to Jotaro Kujo, and I actually didn't bring up that I dislike Jotaro for a very similar reason. I didn't bring that up because I just assumed that something like that wouldn't happen in this, so it would've just felt like a weird non-sequitir of a comparison point, but... welp.

This trick is truly ancient and should be read as slightly more aggressive than a vulcan nerve pinch

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Final fantasy is an r p g

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Meowywitch posted:

Final fantasy is an r p g

*chuckles* oh?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

wizard2 posted:

*chuckles* oh?

The only one I need

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've queued a break for Cleretic. Not for disliking a game or for posting hot takes, but for cutely suggesting another poster doesn't care about domestic abuse as much as they do. Let's draw a line under that one for now.

Christ almighty

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

HopperUK posted:

I've queued a break for Cleretic. Not for disliking a game or for posting hot takes, but for cutely suggesting another poster doesn't care about domestic abuse as much as they do. Let's draw a line under that one for now.

Christ almighty

i think it's time to decide whether the final fantasy thread needs a pet like that. i think some posters enjoy her posts as a novelty but it's probably not a good thing, just like it's never been a good thing in any thread across the forums

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mega64 posted:

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

grieving for Gandalf posted:

i think it's time to decide whether the final fantasy thread needs a pet like that. i think some posters enjoy her posts as a novelty but it's probably not a good thing, just like it's never been a good thing in any thread across the forums

I'll bring it up with the rest.