Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

njsykora posted:

Was it them or Nvidia that was pushing that AI Ready PC spec standard a few months back? I do absolutely expect the "NPU" to become standard in CPUs soon though, even if no normal person actually wants it.

both, microsoft is pushing for NPUs built into CPUs specifically, and nvidia was like "um actually i think you will find our GPUs can do AI too"

"basic AI PC" being the min spec that microsoft is pushing OEMs to meet

repiv fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Last Chance posted:

I might be misremembering but I wanna say Valve did originally want to release a general desktop Linux but changed course to making their own hardware

Yeah, that was what the original Steam Machines thing was gonna be: Valve makes a linux-based OS and gets 3rd party PC makers to ship PCs using it. It was poorly thought out all around, and back then the wine/proton compatibility layer was far less good.

The whole thing was a massive over-reaction to MS coming out with the Windows Store and making noises about how it would be the best place to buy games and software going forward. So Valve took a huge swing back and was like "if you shut out Steam we'll start competing with our own OS".

Turned out all they needed to do was sit back and watch MS step on rakes with what they were doing with the Store.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I mostly just said valve because I don't know what other pipedream candidate there would be, being that they're privately owned, have the resources, relationships with hardware manufacturers, and enough buy-in with pc users that people would actually pay attention

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Yeah, that was what the original Steam Machines thing was gonna be: Valve makes a linux-based OS and gets 3rd party PC makers to ship PCs using it. It was poorly thought out all around, and back then the wine/proton compatibility layer was far less good.

steam machines were 2015 and they didn't start on proton until 2018, sure you could manually install WINE on a steam machine but they didn't provide anything to make it easy, they just expected everyone to start shipping native linux buiids of games

people did not start shipping native linux builds of games

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I read an article about the amount of time dedicated to a game developed for Windows and Linux, and the percentage of errors received from Linux was horrendously in excess of its user use.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Ultimately Linux is a great OS but it just doesn't natively support games anything like as much - thankfully, WINE/Proton are great nowadays. My preferred solution was WSL2 until recently but it really does look like I'm going to have to quit Windows until they get their poo poo together.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the other outcome was some of the games which did get linux ports ended up with that version being neglected compared to the windows version, or unable to sync saves with the windows version, so you're actually better off using proton anyway

valve ended up adding a flag which lets them make the windows version of a game the default on linux even if it has a linux build

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Even when you use a stable distro you immediately enter command line and troubleshooting territory when your game needs something crazy like “a GPU driver released within the last year.”

Using an AMD GPU can prevent a lot of headaches but AMD’s barely making them anymore.

I don’t think you’re going to get a mainstream Linux computer out there without fixed hardware, which is exactly what Valve already did.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

The command line isn't so bad, but I'm aware that is on some level an insane Linux nerd thing to say.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I read an article about the amount of time dedicated to a game developed for Windows and Linux, and the percentage of errors received from Linux was horrendously in excess of its user use.

lines posted:

Ultimately Linux is a great OS but it just doesn't natively support games anything like as much

I posit that this says more about the tools in use than the underlying OS. Not that either point is invalid: developer time counts for a lot, after all.

There was a time when it seemed like Valve was going to make a massive push to mature these tools for Linux. I guess now the focus is on porting the Windows API calls over instead, which is probably getting a better result per dollar invested.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Yeah basically I'm sure you could orient your studio towards making games exclusively for Linux, develop a serious 3D Linux game engine, all of it, but *why would you do that* - and there do exist things like Godot, of course, which I think makes smaller games possible.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

With Proton being mature and community supported any dev building for native Linux would be doing both their users and their business a huge disservice. It would be unrealistic to keep the kind of staff necessary to equally support both Windows and Linux branches.

I am curious about the long-term maintenance of Proton though. How dependent is it really on contributions from companies like Valve?

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
The upcoming thicc AMD APUs could make a nice little mini-PC for the living room. The Steam Slab or something, original idea etc.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

wash bucket posted:

source

Cooking the planet to sell a product nobody wants. Seriously, I've never met a real life person who wants this outside of brain damaged middle management linkedin posters.

I know, we should use human beings as batteries, that's an entirely plausible scenario

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

With Proton being mature and community supported any dev building for native Linux would be doing both their users and their business a huge disservice. It would be unrealistic to keep the kind of staff necessary to equally support both Windows and Linux branches.

I am curious about the long-term maintenance of Proton though. How dependent is it really on contributions from companies like Valve?

everything in proton is open source and much of it existed in some form before valve came along, but most of the ongoing work is done by contract developers funded by valve

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The article I read, maybe as a reaction to that had a dev say that the number of errors reported on Linux was largely because the users were much more engaged/savy and willing to submit error reports. Plus the errors were quite often not platform specific and ended up fixing cross-platform issues that were also affecting windows users, just not getting reported.

https://www.pcgamer.com/indie-dev-finds-that-linux-users-generate-more-better-bug-reports/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

karoshi posted:

The upcoming thicc AMD APUs could make a nice little mini-PC for the living room. The Steam Slab or something, original idea etc.

There’s already mini PCs designed for this purpose. Stuff like the Minisforum Neptune systems use laptop AMD GPUs and even the 7xxx APUs have good enough integrated graphics that they can do 1080p gaming. I know a few people who’ve bought them to be little Linux consoles.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

repiv posted:

"basic AI PC" being the min spec that microsoft is pushing OEMs to meet

Christ, it's "Vista Capable" all over again, isn't it...

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
InVasion Capable

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

How do I edit what's shown in the uhh... quick access thing when you click on the volume/network icons. New windows update put a lot of garbage in there I don't want.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Why does windows made from the media creation tool not come with the latest updates??

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AEMINAL posted:

Why does windows made from the media creation tool not come with the latest updates??

:effort:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

why does windows still not have a netinstall option if they're going to try to force you to connect to the internet during installation anyway

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

The ISO sometimes gets updated with another few months of updates, but it's a drat sight better than it was in the days before Windows 10.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There was a time period where you had to install and update Windows with the ethernet cable unplugged otherwise your PC might be backdoored before you could install the updates. It was a very long time ago, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think I've seen the Reset My PC - Cloud actually work once, ever