Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

Victoria Corin-Mitchell says that David Mitchell straight up refuses to ever do the show because he believes his public persona relies on people assuming he’s clever, and he can’t have that assumption dramatically demonstrated to be incorrect.
I believe I saw a later interview where she said that he thought she’d meant Mastermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I mean David Mitchell is the first one to talk about how he's not actually all that smart, it's my impression that he goes on about it on Cats Does Countdown pretty regularly, where he is in the solidly medium tier of performances.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I can't speak for him as a person for real obviously, but way he does present himself, I can't imagine he'd enjoy doing the show.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I think David Mitchell would be one of the "...well I guess doing this other that clearly isn't intended technically meets the requirements of the task..." tasks. Which is nice for a twist on things now and then, but not as a regular thing.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm pretty sure Mitchell himself has said that people ask him about it a lot and he just thinks he wouldn't be very good on the show.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Naaah, he'd be good. Mitchell would eventually follow the instructions as YOU wrote it pointing angrily at little alex, and then he'd go on an angry harang while doing it as maliciously correct in the stupid way he thinks this all is, and then in the studio he would sink through the floor from embarrassment, and I would laugh

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I can absolutely believe that David Mitchell would have a heart attack from stress if he were to do Taskmaster. He's happy sitting down talking on panel shows and engaging in verbal repartee but would be driven nuts by most of the tasks and trying to decide what to do under time pressure. This of course would make for excellent viewing.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Josh Thomas is a fairly big name too for Australia. I'm sad I'll have to wait extra time to see whatever Aaron Chen gets up to though, he's guaranteed to be off the wall.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Just rewatched season 1 of Australia and in the final episode Tom asks a contestant if they thought the task was a bunch of red herrings and just finding the thing under the hat. And I think that would make for an amazing task. Just a task full of complete bullshit clues and they're supposed to find the thing by brute searching or guessing.

Make it a team task for extra spice.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 2, 2024

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Tagra posted:

So is it likely that as TMAU wraps up its two oddly timed combo seasons we can jump straight into TMNZ season 5?

Studio dates for TMNZ5 are 4th - 8th June. So it sounds like it will be a bit later than previous series, but 20 weeks from 23rd May takes us up to October. We'll almost certainly have TMUK18 by then, probably going to double up!

smackfu posted:

Does anyone know, is TMAU going to be on the official YouTube channel or am I back to shady options?

S1 of TMAU only went on youtube recently, which might imply there's a "12 month exclusivity" arrangement with the home channel.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Best episode of the series but they were robbed in the life task; two ring throwers was a bigger advantage than a few minor oversteps.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Steve should have got 5+4+3+2+1 points for his prize task, there must have been a phenomenal amount of time and effort put into that, my god, from the crossword itself to wangling the Guardian newspaper into printing it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Irisi posted:

Steve should have got 5+4+3+2+1 points for his prize task, there must have been a phenomenal amount of time and effort put into that, my god, from the crossword itself to wangling the Guardian newspaper into printing it.
I think I remember reading he actually composed crosswords for them before? This crossword was one of the first indications he'd be on this series, IIRC.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I really enjoy tasks where contestants unwittingly set things up for each other. Adds a nice element of controlled chaos to the creative ones.

anilEhilated posted:

I think I remember reading he actually composed crosswords for them before? This crossword was one of the first indications he'd be on this series, IIRC.

The crossword-themed episode of Inside No. 9 came from the place of love, clearly.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Most shows do mediocre photoshops to get the whole cast in one sharable image, but kind of surprised how lazy the Aus TM is being with theirs. NZ does similar ads, but they at least swap out the Paul and Jermey pictures with something slightly different.

Makes me appreciate the 'themes' the UK series has been doing to liven up the press imagery.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i think what's annoying about john is the visible desperation

mclem
Oct 2, 2021

Paladinus posted:

I really enjoy tasks where contestants unwittingly set things up for each other. Adds a nice element of controlled chaos to the creative ones.

The crossword-themed episode of Inside No. 9 came from the place of love, clearly.

And was *also* accompanied with the crossword from "Sphinx" that the episode hinged on appearing in that day's Guardian newspaper

itry
Aug 23, 2019

THEY ARE NOT PRESENTS :byodood:

Pablo Bluth posted:

Best episode of the series but they were robbed in the life task; two ring throwers was a bigger advantage than a few minor oversteps.

Yes, but, to paraphrase Alex: "None of it is fair".

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

itry posted:

THEY ARE NOT PRESENTS :byodood:

I love how it slowly dawns on him she called them presents.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

Best episode of the series

agree with this. They've gotten a bit more chummy now

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It really dawned on me during the watermelon donut task how small a man Nick Mohammed is. I mean I know they joked about it but he's not just short, he's petite. It just hit me all of a sudden.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Phigs posted:

I love how it slowly dawns on him she called them presents.

I would have switched up my entry mid-show and said the best thing to get into is calling prizes "presents"

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Easily the best episode so far. I was getting a feeling that something was going on between Joanne and John last week and this week felt like confirmation?? Yes they were potentially joking but it was a lot of jokes about that.

Great seeing Joanne get a win, funny that John had actually no way to win since she was ahead of him going into the team live task. Btw his prize task was dreadful and should've got 1 or even 0 points.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

exmarx posted:

I really don't want him to win, but I will say this is becoming his redeeming trait imo. Other competitive contestants at least tried to hide it a little, but he is just borderline pathetic in how much it matters to him to win, and it wraps around to being kind of adorable.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
They were poo poo memes, no denying that. Worse than an ice cube? Tough call.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I really don't want him to win, but I will say this is becoming his redeeming trait imo. Other competitive contestants at least tried to hide it a little, but he is just borderline pathetic in how much it matters to him to win, and it wraps around to being kind of adorable.

It helps that he's coming third. I can get behind a desperate loser.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

He's in first by a healthy margin of 8 points according to the wiki, https://taskmaster.fandom.com/wiki/Series_17

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Ah, seems I confused it with the episode ranks.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

exmarx posted:

Thing is, if you know him then you're absolutely watching for that

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Once again I feel like Greg is deliberately and gleefully testing the boundaries of what Channel 4 will let him say about advertisers and I am here for it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

PFT back on the podcast for a second time is such a tease :qq:

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

It dawned on me in this ep that the Queen clock Sara Pascoe brought in for her "flamboyant clock" was Johns

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Dragonstoned posted:

It dawned on me in this ep that the Queen clock Sara Pascoe brought in for her "flamboyant clock" was Johns

The deepest lore.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Dragonstoned posted:

Incredible detective work lad.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pablo Bluth posted:

On the other Joanne is a lot taller than Nick. A lot taller.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

i'm not australian but the other cast (or at least aaron chen and rhys nicholson) are more recognizable to me

Josh is on it? I'm keen to see how he does. I can easily see him being adorably bad at doing everything.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Awww yea, managed to get audience tickets to the new TMNZ series again. Stoked! Last season was such a good time (we saw the balloon-dressing studio task episode last season)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
wtf no banter section???

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Nick really looks like a child next to Greg.

E: What a fantastic studio task! Stephen's face was straight out of a horror movie.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

thehustler posted:

wtf no banter section???

I'm sure it will make it into the outtakes.

Another Greg title! Felt sure this one would be a Joanne...

After briefly considering Beethoven's Fifth, I decided that would have gone for Pachelbel's Canon for the classical music task, in the manner of Nick. The timbre of blowing bottles would be fitting to the piece, and it's very performable thanks to its slow and steady pace. You could even go round a few times with variations on the rhythm.