Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Democratic Pirate posted:

Vinegar based coleslaw is supreme in our house.

We use a head of green and 1/3-1/2 a head of red cabbage and it makes so much fuckin slaw.

It's kind of insane how much slaw is contained within a single head of cabbage. Those are some tightly-packed leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

Here's something that has been bothering me lately -

is there a meaningful difference between "scallion" and "green onion" and "spring onion"?

I used to use them interchangeably but I think a scallion is different to a spring onion, which to my understanding is a young onion that is harvested before it matures. They are used interchangeably here though (UK).

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

therattle posted:

I used to use them interchangeably but I think a scallion is different to a spring onion, which to my understanding is a young onion that is harvested before it matures.
Kinda.

Most types of onion called scallion or green onion or spring onion are non-bulb-forming. That is, no matter how long or in what conditions you grow them, they'll never form a bulb.

But most types of green onion aren't commercially produced. The green onions that are commercially-grown are usually cultivars of A. cepa. A. cepa is the most common onion species, and A. cepa is bulb-forming.

But because commercial producers don't want bulbs (if they're growing green onions), they'll select cultivars that produce more greens faster and won't form bulbs in the growing conditions they'll be in. This usually involves length of day and amount of sunlight.

There are also a bunch of hybrids, which are usually still identified as A. cepa although they've been crossed with A. fistulosum (Japanese bunching onions, which are not bulb-forming). They're in theory bulb-forming, but in practice you'll hardly ever see it even in ideal conditions.

So if you buy a bunch of green onions from the grocer's and put it in the ground, you'll get a bunch of green onions. Even if you let them grow as long as they want, you'll probably never get any bulb formation. Like I've grown green onions year-round for over a decade now and I've never seen a grocery store green onion produce a bulb.

I've also grown a number of A. cepa cultivars selected for green onion production (like Ishikura improved) and have never seen them produce bulbs either.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Is there a difference between these and Korean scallions? I've seen some massive ones from Korean grocers, and nothing similar from local ones.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I grew a patch of walking onions last year and they've just gone buck wild this year, maybe because we've had so much rain. These fuckers are tall, like seriously 3'.

Here's a picture of my boy (16 months) for scale, the onions are menacingly towering over him.

Please ignore all the curly dock and assorted nasty plants, this house's garden has a pretty intense seed bank and I have not much time for it lol.

Wonder how many bulbils they're going to make.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Eeyo posted:

I grew a patch of walking onions last year and they've just gone buck wild this year, maybe because we've had so much rain. These fuckers are tall, like seriously 3'.

Here's a picture of my boy (16 months) for scale, the onions are menacingly towering over him.

Please ignore all the curly dock and assorted nasty plants, this house's garden has a pretty intense seed bank and I have not much time for it lol.

That’s the stuff Koreans mean when they say green onion

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The green part is tasty but hard to work with. It’s just these gigantic hollow stems and they’re kinda slimy on the inside and curl up if they’re cut down the length.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah, and you need to make sure they're clean, all the ones we've bought lately have had grit inside the tube.

The longer I'm without onions the more I hate the taste. I can't even have spring onions as a garnish now. Some sort of poison reaction, "no don't eat that, that taste makes you sick!"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

btw as someone who grows this stuff I was asking to make sure that there was no specific nomenclature that my own vocabulary is violating - I tend to use "green onion" for the general ingredient in the kitchen, "scallion" for the non-bulbing plant, "green onion" / "onion greens" for the greens of the bulbing varieties, and spring onion for volunteer overwinter growth.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is there a difference between these and Korean scallions? I've seen some massive ones from Korean grocers, and nothing similar from local ones.
Just a specific cultivar. A lot of the Asian cultivars get huge.

I grow a Japanese variety called Ishikura Improved and they routinely grow to just under a metre long. I just let them be, but a common way to cultivate them is to keep mounding up soil around them as they grow, so they'll produce more of the white part of the onion. You can get 'em so they're almost half and half.

What's the name of the Chinese dish that's blanched tripe that you slide over a green onion like a condom and then grill? Good for that kind of thing.

Eeyo posted:

The ones with flowers on them aren't the regular onion greens (which are just the plant's leaves), they're scapes. If you harvest and use them, they'll usually be a bit sweeter and much more onion-y than the greens. Some of my favourite onion-related things are yellow potato onion scapes, which are fantastic in soup.

If you're wanting them to form bulbs, you're better off harvesting the scapes—onions that bolt tend to not produce bulbs, or produce weaker/smaller bulbs if they do.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
im learning so much about onions today

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

prayer group posted:

im learning so much about onions today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Yeah, I live in a strongly scallion/spring onion interchangeable place, and the idea of making a fuss about whether the bulb of the onion could potentially grow into an onion is extremely laughable.
No-one could, or ever would care about something so stupid and trivial.
They all taste good they all grow into delicious salad onions.