Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
I use XenOrchestra to manage 5 XCP-NG servers. Works well enough for management. Don’t use it for anything “advanced” though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I use Xenorchestra and Puppet

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
What do you guys think about the Intel Xeon 5512U vs. AMD EPYC 8224P? They seemed to be the most comparable in terms of price & performance for this core count, the product lines kind of leap frog each other. The AMD certainly seems like a much better value - any other aspects that would make one that much more compelling over the other though?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

fletcher posted:

What do you guys think about the Intel Xeon 5512U vs. AMD EPYC 8224P? They seemed to be the most comparable in terms of price & performance for this core count, the product lines kind of leap frog each other. The AMD certainly seems like a much better value - any other aspects that would make one that much more compelling over the other though?

Intel's list prices are not real numbers, ask your vendor for prices before you do any planning based on costs. Is there a reason you're looking at single socket parts specifically? Are you power/heat density limited?

I'm guessing from your low core counts / clocks that you don't have CPU intensive workloads in line, but Intel's 5xxx line has been in an awkward middle place recently. 6xxx and higher have a 2nd FMA port and can perform noticeably better with vectorized workloads. If you're trying to hit 24 cores per node specifically I think I'd rather hang around the bottom of Intel's stack with 2x Xeon 4510 than either of those options. MSRP for a pair of those is less than a single 5512U.

The 6 memory channels on a 8224P are really low for a modern server system, but depending what you're doing with these things that may be fine. If this is for homelab, I'd ask "why not consumer platform" because a 7950X is cheaper and faster than an 8224P, 16 fast cores vs 24 slow ones. If you're after big RAM at home I'd ask "why not DDR4", because filling these systems up with DDR5 won't be cheap.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Twerk from Home posted:

Intel's list prices are not real numbers, ask your vendor for prices before you do any planning based on costs. Is there a reason you're looking at single socket parts specifically? Are you power/heat density limited?

I'm guessing from your low core counts / clocks that you don't have CPU intensive workloads in line, but Intel's 5xxx line has been in an awkward middle place recently. 6xxx and higher have a 2nd FMA port and can perform noticeably better with vectorized workloads. If you're trying to hit 24 cores per node specifically I think I'd rather hang around the bottom of Intel's stack with 2x Xeon 4510 than either of those options. MSRP for a pair of those is less than a single 5512U.

The 6 memory channels on a 8224P are really low for a modern server system, but depending what you're doing with these things that may be fine. If this is for homelab, I'd ask "why not consumer platform" because a 7950X is cheaper and faster than an 8224P, 16 fast cores vs 24 slow ones. If you're after big RAM at home I'd ask "why not DDR4", because filling these systems up with DDR5 won't be cheap.

Thanks for the response! It is for a homelab and I am somewhat power constrained, trying to find the right balance of performance vs. power consumption. Maybe a consumer platform is the right way to go, looks like there are some AM5 options from ASRock Rack that support ECC, IPMI, and 10GbE. It would be nice if they had more than a single M.2 slot but not a dealbreaker.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I am a huge sucker for vPro and Intel AMT for IPMI but three of my M93P kube nodes have magically deprovisioned AMT configuration after an extended power outage. What a pain. Now I have to dig into the back of my small, cramped rack to attach VGA. If I had any more space I'd just see if I can find a cheap KVM to have as a "backup" for next time. I'm just outta U's.

Yes I know AMT is a security nightmare. It's a throwaway homelab -- everything is a nightmare

I actually have one of the old pod-based Dell KVMs that work tossed but it has a corrupted flash. I've been idly thinking about trying to figure out how to re-flash it somehow but that seems really involved since everything is soldered to the board and I'm not even sure where I'd begin.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 8, 2024

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

some kinda jackal posted:

Man I am a huge sucker for vPro and Intel AMT for IPMI but three of my M93P kube nodes have magically deprovisioned AMT configuration after an extended power outage. What a pain. Now I have to dig into the back of my small, cramped rack to attach VGA. If I had any more space I'd just see if I can find a cheap KVM to have as a "backup" for next time. I'm just outta U's.

Yes I know AMT is a security nightmare. It's a throwaway homelab -- everything is a nightmare

I actually have one of the old pod-based Dell KVMs that work tossed but it has a corrupted flash. I've been idly thinking about trying to figure out how to re-flash it somehow but that seems really involved since everything is soldered to the board and I'm not even sure where I'd begin.

I've been very much enjoying my PiKVM. I haven't had to use it a whole lot but the couple of times I needed it I was really glad I had it so I didn't have to go crawling around behind my rack to try and find my monitor's VGA cable and then try to get it to the right server.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
2u to not have to deal with that is worth it.

I have IPMI everywhere but they can have my VGA KVM when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
As I have quite a bit of configuration going on between my linux VMs, some of which I rely on (wireguard) I wanna backup the config files. What would be the best way to just keep a redundant copy of all my important config files? I'm fine specifying every single one in a task list somewhere.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The way i'd approach this is to not just backup the configs, but also to try to orchestrate their deployment through Ansible or something like that.

I've been slowly converting my stupid little lab/play nodes into Ansible playbooks, testing them on garbage VMs, then once I'm mostly successful I try to tear down and re-provision the actual thing I'm concerned about.

I don't know if that suits your purpose, but that's probably how I'd try to tackle the problem. I just know that a year from now, barring some sort of automation, I'd probably have to spend a bit of time trying to figure out how to re-implement them.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Do you have system-level backups? If not, might be a good time to play around with Restic. Set it to only back up /etc and any other config paths.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Cenodoxus posted:

Do you have system-level backups? If not, might be a good time to play around with Restic. Set it to only back up /etc and any other config paths.

I do, but on a lot of these systems the only important thing is the config file (like my wireguard machine really only needs the wireguard config and the firewall rules). I want to have those backed up in addition, because pulling those files out of a backup is more effort than just setting up a new one and dropping the config back in.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Hrm. Might have to upgrade some HVAC infrastructure to add this to the homelab: https://gsaauctions.gov/auctions/preview/282996

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

I don't even want the compute, I just want one of those SGI ICE XA racks. God drat. Rackable-era SGI stuff always looked sharp.

Keep an eye on eBay over the next few months, v4 Xeon and DDR4-2400 prices are about to tank hard. :getin:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So I migrated off the HP C3000 Bladecenter onto the Dell VRTX and some M630s, and while they consume a LOT less power, they do not recover as gracefully from cold shutdowns as the C3000 did. Oh well.

The PCIe Passthrough is much nicer through.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

CommieGIR posted:

So I migrated off the HP C3000 Bladecenter onto the Dell VRTX and some M630s, and while they consume a LOT less power, they do not recover as gracefully from cold shutdowns as the C3000 did. Oh well.

The PCIe Passthrough is much nicer through.

Interesting, what kind of stuff are you passing through? Mine tend to be pretty picky with PCIe devices and the GPUs I was originally planning to test with are too new for it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

H2SO4 posted:

Interesting, what kind of stuff are you passing through? Mine tend to be pretty picky with PCIe devices and the GPUs I was originally planning to test with are too new for it.

Yeah I did have some weird issues - the M630s do not like GPU passthroughs outside specific ones, but the M620 passed through the Quadro P4000 I added with no complaints, whereas the M630 rejected it. Not sure why the older blade would accept it fine, but the newer one would not.

Other than that, added some 10GB Fiber card PCIes since I only have the 1GB Switch for the builtin Ethernet, both blades accepted them fine.

The VRTX PCIe passthrough is nice because you can select which PCIe slot goes to which Mezzanine fabric from within the CMC GUI.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 5, 2024

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

That's very good information, much appreciated!

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
That's cool I remember when the VRTX line hit and was interested for our remote sites for a minute. Always seemed nice to get that much convergence but never seemed to really take off and Nutanix seemed more successful with it at the time.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Does anyone have a ZWave USB stick to recommend in 2024 for use on UnRaid with Home assistant through a VM? My HUSBZB-1 has issues with a number of devices and I'm interested in swapping it out as some googling shows that it has some outdated chipsets.

Once I identify a replacement, am I going to have to do some new pairing magic with all of my devices or will HA preserve those and just slip in the new stick?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm using a Zooz Z-Wave Plus stick and it's been solid. I got it many years ago now though so it's probably not the latest and greatest. Passing it on through with proxmox to a Home Assistant VM.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

TraderStav posted:

Does anyone have a ZWave USB stick to recommend in 2024 for use on UnRaid with Home assistant through a VM? My HUSBZB-1 has issues with a number of devices and I'm interested in swapping it out as some googling shows that it has some outdated chipsets.

Once I identify a replacement, am I going to have to do some new pairing magic with all of my devices or will HA preserve those and just slip in the new stick?

Aeotec's zwave sticks are always solid; you could also get a reference-design one via SiLabs (https://www.silabs.com/development-tools/wireless/z-wave/efr32zg14-usb-7-z-wave-700-stick-bridge-module?tab=overview), which is what I have and use.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

odiv posted:

I'm using a Zooz Z-Wave Plus stick and it's been solid. I got it many years ago now though so it's probably not the latest and greatest. Passing it on through with proxmox to a Home Assistant VM.

Kalman posted:

Aeotec's zwave sticks are always solid; you could also get a reference-design one via SiLabs (https://www.silabs.com/development-tools/wireless/z-wave/efr32zg14-usb-7-z-wave-700-stick-bridge-module?tab=overview), which is what I have and use.

Thank you both for the recommendations! I see that the 800 version was released, any reason to go that route, or just go with the solid 700?

e: Also, any reason a reference design version is better than not?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

TraderStav posted:

Thank you both for the recommendations! I see that the 800 version was released, any reason to go that route, or just go with the solid 700?

e: Also, any reason a reference design version is better than not?

I mean, you could get an 800-series, but I don't know that it brings any benefits until there are 800-series switches/etc. available?

And no particular advantage to a reference design except that it's usually a decent amount cheaper than the OEM-branded ones. But also no real disadvantage, so.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Got it, will just grab that one.

Will I need to repair every zwave device in my house? Or will HA carry it over to the new stick?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

TraderStav posted:

Got it, will just grab that one.

Will I need to repair every zwave device in my house? Or will HA carry it over to the new stick?

There's a way to try to backup/restore your network, but honestly it was kinda glitchy when I did it and it might actually be faster/easier to just re-pair depending on how many devices you have. (Network is stored on the stick, so HA definitely can't move it over for you; the backup/restore uses SiLabs tool.)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Kalman posted:

There's a way to try to backup/restore your network, but honestly it was kinda glitchy when I did it and it might actually be faster/easier to just re-pair depending on how many devices you have. (Network is stored on the stick, so HA definitely can't move it over for you; the backup/restore uses SiLabs tool.)

Thank you! Just ordered from Digikey as the link above is out of stock. Will muscle through the transition, hoping it'll make these other devices work in my house!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

TraderStav posted:

Thank you! Just ordered from Digikey as the link above is out of stock. Will muscle through the transition, hoping it'll make these other devices work in my house!

Also, come join us in the Home Automation thread! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Bah! I'm subscribed to that and forgot it existed. Thanks for the reminder

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

After spending an inordinate amount of time trying to get K8s running and playing nice via virtualized servers on my MBP (and arriving at "gently caress it" and just running something in kind) I've decided I want to start taking steps to replace/compliment my memory (16GB) and CPU limited (i5-2500K) Proxmox build with something more purpose built while not going fully off the rails.

There's a goddamn lot out there it turns out. In terms of just putting some OTS parts in a case and going from there, what would be general guidance on a recent-ish Intel CPU that would provide enough headroom for ample virtualization workloads? I'm not opposed to AMD, but if I ever migrate my Plex instance off of my NAS I would like to continue to make use of Quicksync as that's been very impressive on handling my needs. This said I've also been wanting to try doing some game streaming stuff as well, so a GPU is going to go in there at some point.

I also understand that the new AMD/Intel chiplet stuff has been a bit harrowing in almost all areas. Is it safe to presume that Linux support on less than current gen CPUs is pretty rock solid?

Edit: Or if there is a generally accepted guide or writeup of guidance on how to approach this I'd be happy to go and read through that. Googling the subject matter is fraught with AI generated nonsense these days.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 7, 2024

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Hey I have some home VLAN/NIC/Router/Switch questions

I have:
A Protectli 4 port vault (wan, lan, opt1, opt2) router running pfsense community
A Netgear 8 port smart managed switch (GS308EP)
A dell desktop box running Windows Server 2019 and Hyper V (1 NIC, 1 port) with the following VMs
- AP Controller
- Plex Server

I am trying to keep the Plex server VM on its own DMZ VLAN, while keeping the Windows Server Hyper-V host its own on my main LAN. I set rules on pfsense to be able to connect from LAN -> DMZ but not vice versa. Whenever I copy files to my Plex server, I crash the router. I'm guessing because the same router port (LAN) is getting slammed with traffic going in and out at the same time. My switch is connected to the LAN port on the router, and my Hyper V host, client computers, and AP are hooked up to the switch. My VLANs and firewall rules are defined on pfsense

So my questions:

What is the correct way to go about what I'm trying to do? Do I need to put another NIC in my Windows Hyper-V host, tag the additional NIC with my DMZ VLAN, and create a Virtual External Switch in Hyper-V tagged with my DMZ VLAN, and then attach my Plex VM to the Virtual External Switch stuck to its own NIC?

Should I abandon running the DMZ and LAN out of the same router port and move DMZ to OPT1?

Is there something on the switch I could be doing smarter? Can my switch move the traffic on its own without it going back to the router?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I don't think that switch will do L3 routing so probably not. In my experience with the protectli FW4b or C it's a grossly underpowered, over heating prone piece of junk and I regret buying one. Nothing but crashes on opnsense, proxmox and Windows for me.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Aware posted:

I don't think that switch will do L3 routing so probably not. In my experience with the protectli FW4b or C it's a grossly underpowered, over heating prone piece of junk and I regret buying one. Nothing but crashes on opnsense, proxmox and Windows for me.

Crud. I thought picking one up used off ebay was the move

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

scott zoloft posted:

Crud. I thought picking one up used off ebay was the move

The current hotness for opnsense compact boxes seems to be the gowin r86s, available in either gigabit, 10g or 25g variant.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's been eons since I kept up to date with "modern" network technology so sorry if this is super basic stuff:

I've been putting melanox connectx-2 SFP+ cards in each of my bare metal machines in my lab on the intention to go to 10gig one day, but all my switch gear and NAS are still gigabit and I have no immediate plans to upgrade them.

I recently got into homelabbing mainframe stuff so I'm in the position where I have to move around almost 200gb of disk images any time I colossally gently caress something up and need to re-start from scratch (which, when you're starting out, is very often) and I'm wondering if I can get some easy wins with a 2.5 or 5gbe switch, USB adapter for my Synology DS920+.

Now I'm not certain whether having a Melanox connectx-2 SFP+ card implies that they have to run at 10gb, or whether that depends on the module that's inserted. So I suppose my question is whether there is any SFP+ option that would negotiate down to a 2.5 or 5 switch, or whether I'm stuck having to plan a 10gig network and NAS update.

Does that make sense? I'm not sure I articulated it well, hopefully it's not gibberish.

I have no real immediate plans to get any sort of enterprise gear that does 10gbe. I think the closest I would come is that Ubnt eight port 10gb distribution switch but I'd still need to figure out how to get my NAS to speak at > 1gig , and buying a 10gb usb nic feels stupid when the actual usb bus can't give me more than 5.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

It's been eons since I kept up to date with "modern" network technology so sorry if this is super basic stuff:

I've been putting melanox connectx-2 SFP+ cards in each of my bare metal machines in my lab on the intention to go to 10gig one day, but all my switch gear and NAS are still gigabit and I have no immediate plans to upgrade them.

I recently got into homelabbing mainframe stuff so I'm in the position where I have to move around almost 200gb of disk images any time I colossally gently caress something up and need to re-start from scratch (which, when you're starting out, is very often) and I'm wondering if I can get some easy wins with a 2.5 or 5gbe switch, USB adapter for my Synology DS920+.

Now I'm not certain whether having a Melanox connectx-2 SFP+ card implies that they have to run at 10gb, or whether that depends on the module that's inserted. So I suppose my question is whether there is any SFP+ option that would negotiate down to a 2.5 or 5 switch, or whether I'm stuck having to plan a 10gig network and NAS update.

Does that make sense? I'm not sure I articulated it well, hopefully it's not gibberish.

I have no real immediate plans to get any sort of enterprise gear that does 10gbe. I think the closest I would come is that Ubnt eight port 10gb distribution switch but I'd still need to figure out how to get my NAS to speak at > 1gig , and buying a 10gb usb nic feels stupid when the actual usb bus can't give me more than 5.

Connect-X2 can run at 1/10G speeds and a 8 port all sfp+ switch can be found pretty easily and cheaply(aliex web managed are available and so do mikrotik if you don't need unifi shiny). Your best bet for the syno is a sfp+ to rj optic to slot in the switch and a 2.5g usb adapters (5g usb adapters are a waste of time since you will get 3.5g tops) but beware that it's going to eat the nas cpu under load, i would assess finding a buyer for that chassis and getting a new nas instead.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 8, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's what I was suspecting, My secret hope was that there were SFP+ modules that could negotiate 2.5/5 but still interface with the card at 10 but I honestly have no idea how much of the speed negotiation was dependant on the actual card itself.

I think the real minimum effort solution to my immediate problem here is just to go the cheap 10gig route between all the bare metal hosts and keep the massive files on one of them rather than the NAS itself.

NAS upgrade is definitely in the cards but I think I'm waiting to see what the rest of my network plans are. I'm really indifferent on 5 vs 10, I suspect both would give me the upgrade I'm looking for.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

That's what I was suspecting, My secret hope was that there were SFP+ modules that could negotiate 2.5/5 but still interface with the card at 10 but I honestly have no idea how much of the speed negotiation was dependant on the actual card itself.

I think the real minimum effort solution to my immediate problem here is just to go the cheap 10gig route between all the bare metal hosts and keep the massive files on one of them rather than the NAS itself.

NAS upgrade is definitely in the cards but I think I'm waiting to see what the rest of my network plans are. I'm really indifferent on 5 vs 10, I suspect both would give me the upgrade I'm looking for.

SFP+ RJ45 optics with NBASE are expensive (50€/unit here) and incredibly hot (since they are a miniaturized 2 port switch) so they are not a good idea, especially in a NIC.

Your other alternative is a 2.5g switch with sfp+ uplinks if you don't need more than two sfp+ cages. Four ports units with two cages cost less than a official brand (ubnt or mikrotik) SFP+ RJ adapter if you go thru aliex.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 8, 2024

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Really wish Ubiquiti would get their rear end in gear with the 2.5/5/10GB stuff on the cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

CommieGIR posted:

Really wish Ubiquiti would get their rear end in gear with the 2.5/5/10GB stuff on the cheap.

They seem to be stuck on doing l3 everywhere for nbase even when it's of limited use, which doesn't help their case when aliex has nbase and 10g web managed kit for peanuts if you don't mind no name items.