Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

`Nemesis posted:

those things are almost useless due to their small size alone, dispose of it properly and get a full size one with a hose for aiming.

the small ones might put out a small fire on the stove but that's about it.

I upgraded to real ones back when this happened: https://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en/us/support/product-alerts/recall-kidde-fire-extinguisher/ (after making kiddie send me replacements of course)

If you've got a local fire protection store, they'll just sell you real ones for not a ton of money... I paid $76 for a 5lb one, and the 6 year maintenance costs $42. So about $20/yr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Stupid question, not sure if this is the right thread for it: Just moved into a new house (we're renting) and I've put my office in the basement. The only two basement windows are next to the backyard deck, and not too far from the windows are where all the house exhausts go. I've noticed if I keep a window open in the basement, I can occasionally smell the gas/exhausts for maybe 3-5 minutes every few hours. How concerned should I be? We had a contractor provided by the landlord come by earlier today and he didn't seem too concerned with the smells themselves, but suggested I use only the farther window from the exhausts for room ventilation. If the windows are closed, I never smell anything.

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 3, 2024

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Define, with specificity, what are "house exhausts". Devices, fuel, etc. You could be talking about anything from a bathroom fart fan to an oil furnace, all of which will have different potneital answers. You should also specify how far away from the window these are.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Will try to get a more thorough look tomorrow, but from what I can see on an initial pass is, a water heater exhaust and gas furnace. Rough estimate of maybe 8-10 feet between the window and the exhausts.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

withak posted:

it should go without saying
Starts like this:

Finishes out:

You really don't want to guess what it cost. The biggest take away goes back to the railings.
For as expensive as all the finishes are--the railings were on the lower end. If I remember, about $1,000 in materials for seventy-five feet of railing.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My brain struggles with fake shutters on larger windows. They're framing the window nice, but I can't stop thinking that they would never cover the glass. Though I don't know what the alternative is because doing something with a hinge or going super wide also seems silly.

Don't get me wrong that place looks gorgeous and I would like to live there I am just having this same problem with a wider window we're installing that I want to dress up.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Dave posted:

My brain struggles with fake shutters on larger windows. They're framing the window nice, but I can't stop thinking that they would never cover the glass. Though I don't know what the alternative is because doing something with a hinge or going super wide also seems silly.

Don't get me wrong that place looks gorgeous and I would like to live there I am just having this same problem with a wider window we're installing that I want to dress up.

Operable shutters on large windows like that were often about that wide when folded because they were 2-part (each shutter folded in half, sometimes in 3). That's what this style is mocking.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That boathouse is nicer than my apartment.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

withak posted:

That boathouse is nicer than my apartment.

That boathouse is nicer than my house, and my boat, but not my houseboat.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
My boat is pretty nice but not nice enough to go be parked in there.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

The saddest part about the whole thing. A month after it was finished--covid got the guy. His wife is not a fan. Now, I suspect, it is home to wasps and spiders.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

reversefungi posted:

Stupid question, not sure if this is the right thread for it: Just moved into a new house (we're renting) and I've put my office in the basement. The only two basement windows are next to the backyard deck, and not too far from the windows are where all the house exhausts go. I've noticed if I keep a window open in the basement, I can occasionally smell the gas/exhausts for maybe 3-5 minutes every few hours. How concerned should I be? We had a contractor provided by the landlord come by earlier today and he didn't seem too concerned with the smells themselves, but suggested I use only the farther window from the exhausts for room ventilation. If the windows are closed, I never smell anything.

get an air quality meter from amazon and make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector by your work area. that'll give you some actual data to start making judgements with.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

`Nemesis posted:

get an air quality meter from amazon and make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector by your work area. that'll give you some actual data to start making judgements with.

Thanks! I picked up a CO monitor a few days ago and I'm keeping it right by my desk. Good call on the air quality meter, already ordered, hopefully will turn up nothing concerning. Appreciate the advice!

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is ~half an acre too much for a push mower? My lot is .7 acres and I'm guessing about 75% of that is lawn. I'm not an outdoor type person, but I think I'm paying too much to have it done. I don't want to invest $2k+ in a riding mower, but one of the Ryobi self-propelled electric mowers would pay for itself after a few months. I'm also leaning towards the electric model so I could potentially mow at like 5 in the morning before it gets hot and not piss off the neighbors.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm on 8000sqft (~.2 acres) and have the Ego Power+ mower, which uses about 60-80% of its battery to do the front and back (it's hard to tell, the indicator on the battery isn't super precise). My yards are almost entirely grass. I'm using the self-propelled feature, which probably eats into the battery a bit more than if I just pushed it, but I doubt I'd get double the capacity by pushing it myself.

One thing to bear in mind is how much physical labor you're willing to perform. It takes me about half an hour to mow and weedwhack, which is pretty manageable for me, but if my yard had steeper slopes or was substantially bigger, then I'd be more annoyed at the grass.

What I'd recommend is finding someone with a push mower, and taking it for a spin once or twice, to see how you feel about it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

Is ~half an acre too much for a push mower? My lot is .7 acres and I'm guessing about 75% of that is lawn. I'm not an outdoor type person, but I think I'm paying too much to have it done. I don't want to invest $2k+ in a riding mower, but one of the Ryobi self-propelled electric mowers would pay for itself after a few months. I'm also leaning towards the electric model so I could potentially mow at like 5 in the morning before it gets hot and not piss off the neighbors.

Half an acre will probably take a couple hours to mow. If you're in good shape, it won't be too bad. I suspect it will get old pretty fast, though.

Start with the electric push mower, anyway. If you decide you need a bigger mower later, it will be useful for trimming and hard-to-reach spots.

For half an acre, I'd buy a riding mower, but I'm old and lazy.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Our house is in the middle of a half acre lot and for the first 10 years used a push mower. It'd take about 90 minutes or so to do everything, it wasn't the worst thing but it wasn't like we could quickly squeeze in cutting the grass.

Then I got a hand-me-down Cub Cadet riding mower and it's just ridiculously easy. I only use it for my front yard but if I want that cut I can hop on and in 10-15 minutes it's done.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Lester Shy posted:

I could potentially mow at like 5 in the morning before it gets hot and not piss off the neighbors.

Is this one of those oxymorons?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
also yeah, electric mowers are quieter than the gas ones, but they're not quiet. I don't think you could get away with running one at 5AM in most neighborhoods.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

also yeah, electric mowers are quieter than the gas ones, but they're not quiet. I don't think you could get away with running one at 5AM in most neighborhoods.

Same goes for weed whips. It don't matter if it's gas or electric. You're still gonna hear that string slapping grass.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I use an ego mower and we have a bit under .5 acre lot, takes me a bit over an hour to mow, can do the whole thing on one battery if I don't use the self propel, otherwise I finish the lawn with the weed wacker battery and then use it to trim. Been using it for 3 years now I think? Works good, way cheaper than paying someone as long as you don't mind the work and have the time to do it.

It's quite enough I mow early in the AM in the summer (like 0600), and can barely hear it in our house, I doubt it's woke up any neighbors.

Rakeris fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 4, 2024

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Lester Shy posted:

Having spent my teenage years using a push mower on our 2 acre property that was not remotely flat, I'd say its not a problem. On the other hand, my dad finally bought a tractor after the free labor us kids moved out, the wily old bastard.

So yeah, a self propelled mower would do the trick pretty well.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It's nice to not have to wear earplugs, the electric leaf blower is the loudest but for only a minute not a huge concern exposure-wise.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It’s really a question of flatness. If you’re mowing .7 acres with a slope it’s gonna be much different than a flat plot.

You’re at the tipping point for a rider though. Id check fb marketplace for low hour single cylinder riders. Something around the 18 hp range. I got a Husqvarna for $1400 that only had 30 hours on it (basically brand new in lawn tractor terms). You might find a similar or better deal.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Yeah it's insanely flat. Also it's very dry here and everything grows slowly, so if I need to do the backyard one weekend and the frontyard the next, that's totally doable. I could probably use the exercise anyway.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It's very wet here and even with just a quarter acre, I have to cut every week. Grass goes nuts here.

However, it sounds like I'm getting a couple goats soon, so I'll only have to mow the front.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

I have loved transitioning to battery power. Not having to deal with combustion engine maintenance constantly has been great. Everything starts all the time!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Dr. Lunchables posted:

It’s really a question of flatness. If you’re mowing .7 acres with a slope it’s gonna be much different than a flat plot.

You’re at the tipping point for a rider though. Id check fb marketplace for low hour single cylinder riders. Something around the 18 hp range. I got a Husqvarna for $1400 that only had 30 hours on it (basically brand new in lawn tractor terms). You might find a similar or better deal.

My yard is 100x70 plus the front (50x30). I've been using a self-propelled gas mower since we bought the place 32-years ago, and I'm an old fat gently caress.

I bought a vacant lot next to my son's house, about 100x100. Bought a 1982 Simplicity lawn tractor with a 42" cut for $400. Re-belted it, new blades, seat & battery, probably another $200. Cuts it in about 15-minutes.

This is southern NJ near Philadelphia; it's all pretty much flat.

The other issue is: how frequently will you have to cut? My yard is zoysia, which stops growing when it gets hot & dry, One summer I cut the grass four times in six months.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

HycoCam posted:

I have loved transitioning to battery power. Not having to deal with combustion engine maintenance constantly has been great. Everything starts all the time!

I do have to say my 12 year old Toro Recycler with a B&S engine is the most abused tool I own and it just refuses to have any real problems. I've sheared a flywheel key twice, ripped the starter rope, maybe a belt once? Outside of that I have never touched the air filter or given it a proper oil change and it's never refused to start or run smoothly.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The Dave posted:

I do have to say my 12 year old Toro Recycler with a B&S engine is the most abused tool I own and it just refuses to have any real problems. I've sheared a flywheel key twice, ripped the starter rope, maybe a belt once? Outside of that I have never touched the air filter or given it a proper oil change and it's never refused to start or run smoothly.

Uh

Change the oil. It's part of the cooling system.

https://i.imgur.com/NXjEKwH.mp4

This is after 3-seasons.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

I would not have put that out in the universe until October...

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Inzombiac posted:

It's very wet here and even with just a quarter acre, I have to cut every week. Grass goes nuts here.

However, it sounds like I'm getting a couple goats soon, so I'll only have to mow the front.
OK, new thread rule, you've gotta tell us how many goats you have before asking for mower recommendations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Slugworth posted:

OK, new thread rule, you've gotta tell us how many goats you have before asking for mower recommendations.

and share pictures of the goats

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Uh

Change the oil. It's part of the cooling system.

It's bigger than us now my brother, it's a battle of wills. (This is not our primary mower.)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If I want to repaint over what I assume is painted drywall, should I strip the existing paint first or paint over it?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
paint over it

Clean the wall thoroughly, remove the outlet/switch covers, tape over trim, apply paint. The prep work is like 75% of the job, don't skimp on it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

and share pictures of the goats

Here's one showing her teeth, like a goof.

The two in front will be mine, if things work out. They're old but in great health.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

paint over it

Clean the wall thoroughly, remove the outlet/switch covers, tape over trim, apply paint. The prep work is like 75% of the job, don't skimp on it.

Seconding everything he said. Prep work is the name of the game. You know you'll have an awesome paint job if you only spend 5-10 minutes of your hour long job actually painting.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
So my mother's day project this year is cleaning all this white/grey poo poo off this brick exterior:

edit: snip

1) Am I correct in the assumption that this is basically all just years of brick efflorescence?

2) What's the best chemical to remove all this stuff? There's no chemical-sensitive vegetation in the area.

3) What's the proper cleaning method? Does it need to be the pain in the rear end bucket-and-brush method, or a tank sprayer with hose follow-up, or a pressure washer?

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

Here's one showing her teeth, like a goof.

The two in front will be mine, if things work out. They're old but in great health.

Thank you for the photo. I hope the goats do well!