Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

We need another He-Man origin story like we need another Batman origin story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
So the lesson they learned from the ‘87 film was “We need to think of an even more contrived way to shoehorn Earth into our Masters of the Universe movie!”

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

DangerDummy! posted:

I learned the other day that, according to Shiguri Miyamoto, Mario is 24 years old.

This is apropos of nothing, I just thought it was kinda funny.

Scott and Jean were 24 during the Dark Phoenix saga.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh so they're turning He-Man into Space Fantasy Shazam? I mean it's not like there's much to He-Man anyway so whatever.

EDIT: Oh, I missed the "two decades later" part. Sounds better the other way to be honest.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

The Last Call posted:

According to its official synopsis, “Masters of the Universe” introduces a 10-year-old Prince Adam, who crashed to Earth in a spaceship and was separated from his magical Power Sword — the only link to his home on Eternia.

“After tracking it down almost two decades later,” the synopsis explains, “Prince Adam is whisked back across space to defend his home planet against the evil forces of Skeletor.

I don't even like MotU but what the heck is this nonsense? Stop bringing Earth into it, no one gives a toss!

(yes, I know about his mom and Lyn but still)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can’t be the masters of the whole universe if you only spend the movie on a single planet.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't think this implies the movie will be set on Earth at all. It's basically the same setup as GotG.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DangerDummy! posted:

I learned the other day that, according to Shiguri Miyamoto, Mario is 24 years old.

This is apropos of nothing, I just thought it was kinda funny.

A hard 24. He ages like it's the 50s.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

24 in cat years, maybe.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
On the surface, sounds like a film that's scared to embrace the source material. It's the Xmen black leather outfits all over again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

twistedmentat posted:

A hard 24. He ages like it's the 50s.

You'd think it's because being a plumber in Brooklyn is rough but really it's from having to babysit Luigi's dumb rear end

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Sentinel Red posted:

I don't even like MotU but what the heck is this nonsense? Stop bringing Earth into it, no one gives a toss!

I'll be shocked if this film is just ok. I want it to be good of course, but I have zero confidence in that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It won't be good unless it has gay she-ra and catra

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Parkingtigers posted:

On the surface, sounds like a film that's scared to embrace the source material. It's the Xmen black leather outfits all over again.

I have a feeling they'll jump full force into Eternia weirdness since the MCU really broke that ground and made/showed that sorta thing mainstream. The raised on Earth bit is just so they can do that hack "Whoa a talking tiger!/insert skull for a head joke/this is crazy!" poo poo because we need to have a grounded way in that we can relate to blah blah blah.
Basically I'm optimistic they won't shy away from the source material (ha! Which source?) But I'm pessimistic that we'll still get yellow spandex and they fly now style humor. I would prefer it be funny over super serious, Guardians would be a great example of tone even but Peter wasn't a fish out of water and Xandar didn't need explaining.

I'm pretty MOTU obsessed, I collect the original toys, I run an internet D&D campaign, I go to the conventions, but all I really want is camp. Just make it camp guys, you're over thinking it. Can't it be both ridiculous and awesome? Like a better made Flash Gordon with modern action set pieces and fight choreography.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Yeah definitely the current rule in Hollywood is the Super Mario movie one: character must be from Earth so that they can start the movie dumbstruck and afraid of everything and then become a shockingly competent badass during a montage.

Makes them relatable, plus since the love interest is always a local from weirdo world, they can start the movie being also shockingly badass and competent, allowing them to do some cool action scenes before they are surpassed by the lead during the montage and can be safely damseled.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

theironjef posted:

Yeah definitely the current rule in Hollywood is the Super Mario movie one: character must be from Earth so that they can start the movie dumbstruck and afraid of everything and then become a shockingly competent badass during a montage.

Makes them relatable, plus since the love interest is always a local from weirdo world, they can start the movie being also shockingly badass and competent, allowing them to do some cool action scenes before they are surpassed by the lead during the montage and can be safely damseled.

The recent Mario movie was cool and good.

Edit— also I don’t believe Mario surpasses Peach at any point in the movie, or is ever damseled.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Mario is the damsel

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mario and Luigi have always been from Earth, and end up in the Mushroom Kingdom by accident.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

site posted:

Mario is the damsel

Luigi is the damsel. Mario is the Jack Burton.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Like a better made Flash Gordon
You shut your loving mouth right now.

Flash Gordon is the zenith of the moving picture medium. I know for a fact that Werner Herzog does that voice because he's depressed he wasn't its director. It's so good Sam J. Jones retired from acting after starring in it, knowing that he would never play a better role. Brian Blessed was grown in an Area 51 test tube so that he could play Prince Vultan; all that Shakespeare stuff was just prep for the role of a lifetime. Timothy Dalton quit playing 007 after only two movies, saying, "It's just not as thrilling as being Prince Barin," just before thrusting his hand into a custom-made holey stump in his home, filled with chambers, some holding venomous animals. Max von Sydow spent several months shadowing Idi Amin, Saddam Hussein, and the Ayatollah Khomeni to learn how to be an effective terror-driven dictator just for this movie. The real Nobel Prize for literature that year was awarded to the script, but in secret, because the committee was afraid that making it public would raise the bar too much. The Vatican plays the Queen soundtrack backward as part of its new exorcism ritual.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Paul Walter Hauser cast in Fantastic 4 in a mystery role.

https://deadline.com/2024/05/fantastic-four-movie-casts-paul-walter-hauser-mystery-role-1235902723/

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

We've found our Dr. Doom.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Welcome to the MCU Willie Lumpkin

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wait what

quote:

After being tapped for the role of Captain Ed in the untitled Naked Gun reboot from Paramount Pictures,

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

site posted:

Wait what

They announced it a while ago.

Liam Neeson is playing Drebin.

It's going to either be amazing or amazingly terrible.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They announced it a while ago.

Liam Neeson is playing Drebin.

It's going to either be amazing or amazingly terrible.

the lonely island guys are doing it so it'll probably be an underappreciated gem like pop star

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Admiralty Flag posted:

You shut your loving mouth right now.

Forgive me, I meant no disrespect. Merely that I wouldn't want the Masters of the Universe movie to suffer from the pitfalls of 1970s filmmaking but to also be different enough from Flash Gordon so as not to be endlessly compared to and over shadowed by its greatness. Please allow me to commit seppuku

Admiralty Flag posted:

...Max von Sydow spent several months....

Wait what?! Holy poo poo! How did I never realize that was him?!
It's like in my head I just never questioned who played Ming the Merciless because, I don't know, Ming is just Ming I guess? Like he just exists, like Godzilla or the Muppets.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

What's this about Lyn? I thought only the mom was from earth.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Like a better made Flash Gordon

Challenge: Impossible

E: hell yeah what Admiralty said

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Max Von Sydow looks like he is having a lot of fun in Flash Gordon.

I think a he man film that really leans into the science fantasy aspect of it could be a lot of fun, but I have a hard time trusting Hollywood execs these days.

" is there any way Skeletor could dance to Take On Me?"

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
“And then we end on the He-man doing the “flossing”.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

twistedmentat posted:

I think a he man film that really leans into the science fantasy aspect of it could be a lot of fun

this is what i want to see. this was foundational science fantasy poo poo for us.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

X-O posted:

Oh so they're turning He-Man into Space Fantasy Shazam? I mean it's not like there's much to He-Man anyway so whatever.

EDIT: Oh, I missed the "two decades later" part. Sounds better the other way to be honest.

It sounds like the model is maybe Guardians of the Galaxy, which just sounds exhausting.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Disco Pope posted:

It sounds like the model is maybe Guardians of the Galaxy, which just sounds exhausting.

I saw The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare in the theaters yesterday, and they played a trailer for Borderlands that was such an unbelievably blatant ripoff of The GotG trailers that it actually made me mad lol

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

DangerDummy! posted:

I saw The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare in the theaters yesterday, and they played a trailer for Borderlands that was such an unbelievably blatant ripoff of The GotG trailers that it actually made me mad lol

Yeah all I could think is "wow they want to do GotG but like... worse in every way" Bold strategy...

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

TwoPair posted:

Yeah all I could think is "wow they want to do GotG but like... worse in every way"

GotG 3 already beat them to it.

*sigh*

yeah, I'll get tutted at for this, but let it be known your disapproval cannot hurt more than my disappointment.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

GotG 3 already beat them to it.

*sigh*

yeah, I'll get tutted at for this, but let it be known your disapproval cannot hurt more than my disappointment.

I get it. I thought it was fine, but still not nearly as good as the second one. Was definitely hoping they'd stick the landing better. It wasn't Spider-Man 3 disappointing, but nonetheless...

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
It could always be worse.

Chris Pratt could be He-Man.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Personally as a medical experiment subject which was painful and traumatic I really got it but also never want to watch it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

2 didn’t do as much for me because I come from a loving family.