Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
hmmmm
1st Gen
2nd Gen
3rd Gen
Goku
View Results

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

kpop is really bright highs and super dark lows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

smooth jazz posted:

lol. as a long time kpop listener and big general music lover it's definitely something ive always felt shined with eclecticism while being firmly entrapped by so many commercial forces that conveniently are why its trajectory has been how it is from late 90s groups to now(and probably before but my intro was SES/HOT/Sechskies etc) in terms of copying global trends but with a consistent unique and over the top ethos

ive learned about and been pretty into qwer the last week and realized their "label" is really an arm of Kakao which explains their extremely quick ride to stardom, and i started to wonder how much of the content is even real, at least as seen in the youtube content. Strange world

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i can't follow along with (or understand any of it, as i know exactly two korean words) the meta, for lack of a better term. i just like the tunes and i know which groups put out ones that make me bop and dance around. i know it's a tragically industrialized music scene, but so is american pop, and they don't actually put out anything good, so.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

smooth jazz posted:

One of the most evil and sinister industries to date

E: like apparently it was just revealed through a live stream that fromis 9 is barely getting paid salary for the first time ever this year.

This group has existed for 7 years. The poo poo is hosed and the root of the issue is and has always been these hosed up label companies

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

quote:

LOONA's Chuu appears on Channel A's ‘Humanly’ to discuss Donald Trump's continued hate speech and spread of fake news.

Chuu is such a boss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajNlhx6Dpog

Haewon on Knowing Bros :allears:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

chuupdate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLCGxI3iT_c&t=8s

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The REAL Goobusters posted:

E: like apparently it was just revealed through a live stream that fromis 9 is barely getting paid salary for the first time ever this year.

This group has existed for 7 years. The poo poo is hosed and the root of the issue is and has always been these hosed up label companies

I remember Yujin found out CLC was disbanded when she was told on a survival show she was going on. Didn't hear it from Cube at all.

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

haha she was going insane, they are my fav group too though. funny ep

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

And then there's things as well like Busters agency coming under fire all the time for sexualising them and getting them to do a lot of 'private events', not abnormal to have idols do private events but it's exceptionally weird with how that agency promotes them and them being mostly minors until recently. Also when Chaeyeon from Triples was in Busters, there was a whole thing where it seemed like she may or may not have been punched by a comedian on a show she was hosting, but she was definitely called a bitch and a prostitute by a comedian on the show when she was 15 and busters agency did not seem to care in the slightest.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://youtu.be/vrM2mrI83uk?si=uFAF_ZhdH494VQxM

A nice song to listen to while you’re ignoring every single conversation online about NJ

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Very nice, it fits the NJ vibe so well. What's got a hold on me is the album art/graphic design plus the girls look so drat cool.

I'm dying for Right Now it's going to be an absolute banger.
https://youtu.be/hOdrjjn1SOg?si=jbbc_zayV0_G1Cvu

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
singin pretty hard in this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIC-YFj1PIg

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq6UVL3H6SI

RM dropped a crazy video

DC Murderverse posted:

https://youtu.be/vrM2mrI83uk?si=uFAF_ZhdH494VQxM

A nice song to listen to while you’re ignoring every single conversation online about NJ

I like it. Is this just a digital EP? Bubble Gum the title track? Def doesn't feel like a full comeback (because of the Japanese debut timing?)

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they are both commercial songs, one for a japanese shampoo company and one for coke

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Super No Vacancy posted:

they are both commercial songs, one for a japanese shampoo company and one for coke

Ah ok that explains it. So we're coming up on a year from their last Korean comeback? drat. I really don't want them to become the next Blackpink as far as music releases go and I hope all this current poo poo doesn't make that more likely.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

well it sounds like hybe expects a lot of the ador staff that wouldnt be fired anyway to quit when mhj is out so they will have to restaff. and there wont be a spare bts team to plug in like they did with le sserafim and from todays petitions the key people there probably dont want to work with ador anyway

this strengthens my unserious argument that the best solution is trading newjeans to another agency though since aespa is hitting big rn i think the realistic option is probably itzy now

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Trading Itzy and NMIXX for NJ and a BG to be named later

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Super No Vacancy posted:

well it sounds like hybe expects a lot of the ador staff that wouldnt be fired anyway to quit when mhj is out so they will have to restaff. and there wont be a spare bts team to plug in like they did with le sserafim and from todays petitions the key people there probably dont want to work with ador anyway

this strengthens my unserious argument that the best solution is trading newjeans to another agency though since aespa is hitting big rn i think the realistic option is probably itzy now

doesnt hybe own aespa now since they bought out sm?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

no, hybe bought lee sooman's share but kakao bought out the controlling share in sm thanks to some shady stock manipulation with shell companies which hybe filed a complaint about. they then made some agreement to drop it in return for putting sm artists on weverse iirc

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

doesnt hybe own aespa now since they bought out sm?

In March they bought out LSM's remaining share of SM which is 3.6% of the company. That brings their total ownership to ~12%.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

no, hybe bought lee sooman's share but kakao bought out the controlling share in sm thanks to some shady stock manipulation with shell companies which hybe filed a complaint about. they then made some agreement to drop it in return for putting sm artists on weverse iirc

addendum 'Kakao founder and some executives are still under investigation. OneAsia Partner president has been charged' re the stock manipulation

https://www.allkpop.com/article/202...nt-stock-prices

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
jesus

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

following that debacle is why i give hybe's lawyers the benefit of the doubt when it comes to competency whereas it seems like the execs at kakao or ador (or the fifty fifty agency/sub-agency?) plot like its the wild west

I don't really follow how kakao remains in control of sm if their controlling share is found to have been obtained illegally though

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

quote:

The Korea Creative Content Agency (KOCCA), under the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism, has initiated an investigation into the alleged chart manipulation involving BTS's music.

Don't think I saw this mentioned. MHJ probably had enough real dirt on HYBE to cause as much harm on her way out, but I'm still surprised she pulled the pin on that grenade immediately instead of using it as leverage.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if korean army are anything like US army then all the chart manipulation is done by enterprising and organized fans and hybe doesnt have to bother lol

anyway just got ARTMS tix

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

16 years. Shinees back 🥹

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Earth Arcade spin off, Earth Arcade vroom vroom is available on youtube with eng subs now, will be available on channel fullmoon youtube channel every friday at 10pm kst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n2ZMo2590c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oh nice i'd wanted to sample that

na pd get to work on game caterers company picnics again