Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

If anyone is interested, please sign the petition to help restore the Everglades and keep Big Sugar from hoarding all the water. This is a big deal in Florida right now, we need all the help we can get!

https://captainsforcleanwater.org/d...source=hs_email

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exU9ZAUVqoY

As a 4th generation Florida man (though not currently located there), signed, joined the org and bought some merch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Thanks man. Spread the word and get anyone and everyone you can to sign it, no way these assholes are gonna get away with this.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Signed. I've seen how people in the fish keeping hobby go all rabid when lovely legislation comes up and gotten wins. Y'all fish catchers should do OK.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
All them nice pretty laws that keep people "protected" re:fish are mostly badly drafted and get struck down cause everyone with a pole or a tank just comes out of the woodwork.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I ordered a Minn Kota Riptide 55lb with the 54” shaft last night, the bloke reckons it might arrive before the weekend which is cool.

I’ll also buy a second rocket launcher to bolt onto the gunnel and give me space for 4 more rods.

One thing I noticed was the boat tended to want to drift sideways, so next time I’m on the water I’ll take the drift chute I use on the kayak and see if it’s big enough to swing the boat around.

Other than that I’ll just try and get it on the water as often as I can to get a feel for how it handles different conditions and get used to balancing while casting.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I was looking for some advice about finding bank fishing spots.
I've been looking around Google maps and fishbrain during downtime and flagging potential spots, but so many promising looking small lakes and ponds end up being on someone's personal land or public works property behind a gated road or whatever.

what are you supposed to do to get away from city parks and stuff? how do you know what isn't gonna get you in trouble?

do you just put some waders on, park on the side of the highway and gently caress off down a creek?

is it possible to catch enough fish for dinner from the bank? is it a fantasy?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sarah Cenia posted:

I was looking for some advice about finding bank fishing spots.
I've been looking around Google maps and fishbrain during downtime and flagging potential spots, but so many promising looking small lakes and ponds end up being on someone's personal land or public works property behind a gated road or whatever.

what are you supposed to do to get away from city parks and stuff? how do you know what isn't gonna get you in trouble?

do you just put some waders on, park on the side of the highway and gently caress off down a creek?

is it possible to catch enough fish for dinner from the bank? is it a fantasy?

Don't trespass on private property. Its just not worth it most of the time. There is a difference between land owned by a person and land owned by a business. I personally wouldn't trespass on private property owned by a person without asking the owners. A golf course pond? Eh, make your own judgement. I did this a ton as a kid and kids but things are just different as an adult.

City parks are public spaces. They have their own ordinances you can lookup on the city website or even calling the city. States are going to be wildly different in their enforcement.

Catching fish from the bank and eating them is as old as time. Just make sure to look up your area your fishing to be sure the fish are safe to eat. In texas for example, many lakes are polluted and have health advisories while others don't.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

One of my biggest complaints about a lot of youtube anglers is some blatant examples of trespassing. See: Jon B and Disney, Six Flags, etc. but there are others. Intentionally breaking the law gives anglers a bad name and all but guarantees that places will never get opened up to fishing or other public access if the rules aren't respected to begin with.

That said, if you post your city or general area I bet we can find you some spots to try out that won't cause issues.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My son has had luck with just asking the property owner if it's ok to fish. He even made friends with an elderly lady and she lets him use her dock and paddle boat on a big pond in the neighborhood. Lots of big bass in it too.

It's lots of trial and error tho, sometimes you luck out sometimes you don't, for my son it's like a treasure hunt he's always on google maps looking for new spots both fresh and saltwater.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

charliebravo77 posted:

One of my biggest complaints about a lot of youtube anglers is some blatant examples of trespassing. See: Jon B and Disney, Six Flags, etc. but there are others. Intentionally breaking the law gives anglers a bad name and all but guarantees that places will never get opened up to fishing or other public access if the rules aren't respected to begin with.

That said, if you post your city or general area I bet we can find you some spots to try out that won't cause issues.

I think trespassing against disney/six flags , huge mega corporations, to fish isn't a big deal unless you aren't being safe. I generally don't advise it because those companies are loving evil and may prosecute and nobody needs that for fishing.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Finding fishing spots is kind of art of it's own. And no one will want to give up a good spot to strangers if they can avoid it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fisherman are allergic to sharing information, even to their own detriment. Professional fishing is currently getting dominated by young folks who aren't part of the good ol boys club because forward facing sonar makes secret information less important. This is in turn making old boomers VERY angry as they aren't winning anymore.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

To give an example, i live in texas and we have had a lot of rain. Most parks on the lakes are closed to high water. Since the parks are closed, it also means the boat ramps.

To get fishermen to talk about which boat ramps are even open is like asking for nuclear launch codes. Its loving brain worms. There is no "community" with fisherman unless there is a sponsored product involved. Its gross.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

I live near the mokelumne river and a lot of its access is on private properties because you gotta have that water front property! I found a little river access that’s open to fishing starting this weekend but I have a feeling I’m gonna have to do some walking to find a spot that isn’t pressured by a million anglers

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

There's a pond that's pretty well known in the area for having Tarpon in it, but the trick is to know what they will eat.

We put in a lot of work to figure out what they like so we sure as hell ain't advertising it lol. Even tho we figured out what they like it's still very difficult to land them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Sickening posted:

To get fishermen to talk about which boat ramps are even open is like asking for nuclear launch codes. Its loving brain worms. There is no "community" with fisherman unless there is a sponsored product involved. Its gross.

I'm always happy to talk about what and where and how i was catching, and give a couple plastics of whatever color / pattern to anyone who asks if i have extra.

Anyone who can't act with basic kindness can lick the entire area i poo poo from. Also people who unfairly exploit basic kindness and cause others to button up and become tight-assed with their knowledge can suck poo poo too