Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

cruft posted:

Question about EA chargers:

This has two plugs: CCS1 and CHAdeMO. I assumed that they were shared and you could only plug one in at a time.

This also has two plugs: CCS1 and CCS1. Why are there two? Is it because you can charge two cars from the same stall?

e: seems like there are two because EA didn't redesign their stall at the same time as abandoning CHAdeMO. Copper thieves must love this.

You can charge two cars simultaneously.

Was using a shared one like this just last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I still can’t give over to ACC + lane centering, I’m just always poised and ready to take over lest the car does something dumb. I’ve heard the Volvo system is good but it somehow seems more stressful to me to be babysitting a system than just driving myself, lol.

Also it yells at me if I take one hand off the wheel for more than 20seconds.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Supercruise is almost as good as autopilot used to be, and better than more recent autopilot.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Wayne Knight posted:

IMO you would not be happy with any EV unless you changed your expectations. It’ll be tough to get decent mileage going 80-90 in any EV, and your stops will be longer than 5min. Thems the breaks. If you don’t want to change, get a hybrid or PHEV. If you’re willing to change, find a car that has ACC+lane centering, good charging speeds, and a decent 70mph range. With ACC+lane centering you’ll quickly learn to not care about the speed. Find someone to caravan with, slot behind them, and let the car do its thing. It’s a much more relaxing way to drive. Give yourself more time for a break. Take a longer piss. Text(or call!) someone you care about. You will be very disappointed and frustrated with your purchase otherwise.

Also I challenge anyone making a fuel/piss/snack break in an ICE vehicle to start a timer on their phone when they put the vehicle in park and see if it really is under 300 seconds.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Normal Barbarian posted:

I;m thinking about thos Polestar 2s

Facts
  • The AWD is the same price as the RWD
  • The RWD gets 320 miles to the AWD's 270
  • I drive from LA to Oakland maybe 2-3 times a year
  • I drive in snow in Tahoe roughly 0.25 times per year
  • Blue paint is $1250

Thoughts
  • 50 miles of range is worth having to use snow chains maybe one time during a lease.
  • A heat pump is Objectively Better but maybe not too useful in socal?
  • The free paint is ugly but also free

Conclusion
  • The correct choice is RWD + Pilot Pack in Jupiter greige
  • It hurts to turn down "free" AWD
  • I'm going back and forth on the Plus Pack purely for the heat pump
  • I was gonna cancel my EX30 reservation anyways, probably. Buttons are good.

The seats with the plus pack are also top notch, the material is nice and is much easier to clean than cloth or leather. I think there's one other polestar owner in the thread, but I don't know if they got the plus pack

Personally I like the acceleration of the AWD, but I get wanting the extra range - that's extra efficiency, really, so definite upsides.

E: my Polestar 2 is easily the best car I've ever owned, so glad that I chose it over a model 3

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 4, 2024

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Finger Prince posted:

I saw a white polestar the other day, never seen a white one before (maybe popular in hot climates?). It looks really good in white.
Isn't the AWD one dual motor? It's quite a bit quicker in acceleration if that's a thing that interests you.

AWD is dual-motor, yep. 4.3s 0-60 vs 5.9s RWD. I wanna go fast, but I don't gotta go fast.

White is cool and striking, but white cars become dust-greige cars overnight where I park.

If I were paying for paint it would be a tossup between the silver-metallic, grey-metallic, and grey/blue metallic. I loving love the Swedish rainbow.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

drk posted:

gently caress that, why not fly or comedy answer take the train?

If you have buy a new car money, you can afford to take a few ubers or rent a car. Or enjoy the lovely sights, smells and sounds of BART

I drive when I'm lugging tools/cars to a diy robocars race. Otherwise, yes. Fly.

Also, I like BART. The novelty of functional* public transit has yet to wear off.

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 4, 2024

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

So I looked pretty thoroughly at getting a P2 about 1.5 years ago. At the time they had a lot of issues:

The software issues in particular seemed like the biggest problem, customers reported problems getting the car to unlock or start without a tow to the dealer in certain circumstances.

There were a couple of other minor problems, the biggest one being that as a 6'3" chungus I couldn't find a way to get the seat and steering wheel into a comfortable position together. Also the interior is kinda cheap, especially if you don't get the leather.

That being said, if they really have fixed these problems, I think it could be worth buying one...used. The values of these have nosedived so hard I can't imagine why anyone would buy one new right now. $25k for a well-optioned example with 20k miles.

Here's my overlong original post about driving one before the software issues swayed me away

Thanks for this; that post wasn't overlong at all.

I'm increasingly aware that all software is horrible and broken. God help our end users.

I'm 5'10" and slim, so we're good there.

I'm leasing a new one for that 10k deal and as a concession to first-BEV anxieties. Plus, I've spent 20 years driving and fixing tired old used cars. I sorta want something new for once, you know?

QuarkJets posted:

The seats with the plus pack are also top notch, the material is nice and is much easier to clean than cloth or leather. I think there's one other polestar owner in the thread, but I don't know if they got the plus pack

Personally I like the acceleration of the AWD, but I get wanting the extra range - that's extra efficiency, really, so definite upsides.

E: my Polestar 2 is easily the best car I've ever owned, so glad that I chose it over a model 3

Thanks for this, too. I've toyed with the idea of getting a model 3, but that's entirely off the table now.

As for acceleration, my current car would have done 0-60 in ~11 seconds brand new, 19 years ago. 5.9 seconds will be a rocket in comparison.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

Australians:
What is the charging network situation over there, specifically around Brisbane and between Noosa and Gold Coast, maybe down as far as Byron Bay or Ballina?
I'm going for a week and need to rent a car.

I live in Sydney not Brisbane, but if you are thinking of renting an EV, tesla has the only significant network. And its mainly closed to tesla cars (with some exceptions in remote areas where there is no other charger)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Beffer posted:

I live in Sydney not Brisbane, but if you are thinking of renting an EV, tesla has the only significant network. And its mainly closed to tesla cars (with some exceptions in remote areas where there is no other charger)

Looks like Queensland has a highway charging network covering everywhere we're likely to go, and Sixt is one of the industry partners, and offers free charging on that network with chargefox, and they're much cheaper than Hertz and Avis. So BYD Atto or equivalent, here we go!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
:negative:

I think I have water infiltration in my GM-supplied EVSE. We're supposed to get a Grizzl-E installed in a couple weeks but have just been leaving the included one sitting on a bucket until then. :sigh: Guess that's $450 gone unless sitting it in front of a fan all weekend fixes it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
have you put it in rice? /s

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm almost to 9000 miles on my Bolt

I still love the bolt

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.
I acquired an ex-demo 2023 MG4 LR (77kWh), 9k km, in the correct colour. Relatively cheap for how new and fun it is; made the toddler puke in it by day three. 5 stars

This was $46k NZD after tax, about $24k USD pre tax. No EV incentives at all anymore (gently caress off right wing pissgarglers). It'll do ~250 highway miles at 54F / 79F if you're not blowing it by always doing 0-60 in 6.5s. After ruling out CUVs/SUVs, the Polestar 2 was the only close competition IMO. They would have been 2021s almost out of warranty and 3-5x the mileage, so the value proposition just wasn't there.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Polestars don't come in bad rear end colours like that though so MG takes the win!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Extremely Penetrated posted:

I acquired an ex-demo 2023 MG4 LR (77kWh), 9k km, in the correct colour. Relatively cheap for how new and fun it is; made the toddler puke in it by day three. 5 stars

Looks great in orange.

I think the main competition is the Cupra Born, but those are $58k

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

priznat posted:

Polestars don't come in bad rear end colours like that though so MG takes the win!

it's true, that car looks really great in orange, i don't know why they don't have the color orange in sweden it's really weird.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

it's true, that car looks really great in orange, i don't know why they don't have the color orange in sweden it's really weird.

Volvo used to have a legit amazing colour in "Polestar Blue" and they don't have it on Polestars or the Polestar Engineered Volvos and it makes no drat sense!!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

binge crotching posted:

If I had to make a weekly 450-500 mile roundtrip drive, would an electric make more sense than a normal gas car? It's enough miles that the normal wear and tear (other than tires) feels like it would be less on the electric, and with cheap home charging on one end of the trip, fuel costs should be lower too.

I'm just not sure if it would be low enough to justify the extra cost of an electric, especially one that can go 250 miles, most of it freeway at 80-90 mph. A 5 minute break at a truck stop halfway would be fine, but I wouldn't want to need to charge for longer than it takes to piss and grab a coffee.

e: I know the real answer is "don't drive that much every week it will suck", but it doesn't look like that'll be an option.

that's like legitimately getting into general aviation territory. jesus, dude

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

priznat posted:

My kingdom for Polestar Blue

e:fb

e2: though it should be exclusive (and compulsorily) to the Performance Pack and Polestar Engineered

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 5, 2024

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

priznat posted:

Volvo used to have a legit amazing colour in "Polestar Blue" and they don't have it on Polestars or the Polestar Engineered Volvos and it makes no drat sense!!

Funnily enough the MG4 also comes in a blue that is quite close to Polestar blue.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

how does polestar blue measure up against world rally blue

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Cactus Ghost posted:

how does polestar blue measure up against world rally blue

Polestar Blue:

World Rally Blue:

I like em both tbh, polestar blue is pretty unique though

An exact same model + colour v60 is driven by someone who works at an auto shop near to me, it rules seeing it around in that colour.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I made it back home in the LEAF.

Thinking about starting the "LEAF road trip club". Our motto will be "49 in a 75"

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
I went and test drove a Polestar 2 yesterday. It drives very well and the interior is very nice. It's a far nicer car than the Model 3 imo, but that makes sense since it's more expensive (other than trap speed or getting thumbs up from homeless people, I guess).

That said, it's much smaller on the inside than I thought it would be and even with the liftback the cargo area isn't as large as it looks in pictures.

It would have been a great car for me 10 years ago, but would be a pain currently with car seats/boosters and Costco trips.

I guess I'm back to deciding if I want to get an Ioniq 6 or not.

Question for the thread: if you were to buy a trim with the larger wheels that decrease range, could you just swap out to smaller wheels/tires and get that range back? Since EVs tend to be heavier is there something specific to look for in wheels?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

cruft posted:

Thinking about starting the "LEAF road trip club". Our motto will be "49 in a 75"

That would be a great gang tag.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Grimey Drawer
I got the plus pack polestar 2 and yes the interior is surprisingly durable and I love the materials they've used. I have three kids that make the backseat a pig sty and it's super easy to just wipe it all clean with a damp cloth.

I'm also in the camp of "best vehicle I've ever owned". It's just so much fun to drive and almost 3 years in, I love it just as much as I did when I first got it.

That $300 a month lease deal through Costco is just insane. If I didn't have mine I would be considering that.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Extremely Penetrated posted:

This was $46k NZD after tax, about $24k USD pre tax. No EV incentives at all anymore (gently caress off right wing pissgarglers). It'll do ~250 highway miles at 54F / 79F if you're not blowing it by always doing 0-60 in 6.5s. After ruling out CUVs/SUVs, the Polestar 2 was the only close competition IMO. They would have been 2021s almost out of warranty and 3-5x the mileage, so the value proposition just wasn't there.

Great looking car especially with that color!

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

MrLogan posted:

Question for the thread: if you were to buy a trim with the larger wheels that decrease range, could you just swap out to smaller wheels/tires and get that range back? Since EVs tend to be heavier is there something specific to look for in wheels?

Correct, that is how it works. Putting smaller + lighter wheels will restore the range lost to the stupid giant wheels with rubber band tires. However the vehicle may not correctly calculate the range if the assumption of larger/heavier wheels is "baked in", but the estimate would be conservative in that case which is less of an issue.

The bigger wheels are 5 million percent about looks, objectively for driving a car on the street they are worse in basically every way it is possible to be worse (less range, less comfort, less durable, less performance).

The only thing you need to be cautious of w/r/t installing smaller wheels is matching the weight and speed ratings of the installed tires (and getting an EV type tire with lower rolling resistance will also help improve range). Aerodynamic hub covers can further improve cruising range by 3-4%.

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 5, 2024

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The only thing I like about the 20" wheels on my Ioniq 6 is that when they wear out I can swap them with the smaller ones and get back any range I'll have lost to battery degradation by then and then some.

I got this in the mail yesterday. Neat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MrLogan posted:

I went and test drove a Polestar 2 yesterday. It drives very well and the interior is very nice. It's a far nicer car than the Model 3 imo, but that makes sense since it's more expensive (other than trap speed or getting thumbs up from homeless people, I guess).

That said, it's much smaller on the inside than I thought it would be and even with the liftback the cargo area isn't as large as it looks in pictures.

It would have been a great car for me 10 years ago, but would be a pain currently with car seats/boosters and Costco trips.

I guess I'm back to deciding if I want to get an Ioniq 6 or not.

Swapping out to a small diameter trim is definitely an option - performance trims come with larger diameters (wheels + tires) because they handle better and the word "performance" is code for "sacrifice range efficiency in order to make the drive feel better", and also because they're more stylish. But the smaller diameters are still designed to work with the same car. With enough effort you can go to even smaller diameters than that, like I know there are Bolts out there on a 15" diameter but I don't know how much work that took.

I drove an Ioniq 6 recently; fwiw it has a surprisingly small trunk. Like it's definitely smaller than my wife's Honda Civic and noticeably smaller than a Polestar 2's trunk (which I use all the time for costco runs, with 2 kids in carseats ensuring that I only have trunk space - hatchbacks are amazing).

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

QuarkJets posted:

Swapping out to a small diameter trim is definitely an option - performance trims come with larger diameters (wheels + tires) because they handle better and the word "performance" is code for "sacrifice range efficiency in order to make the drive feel better", and also because they're more stylish. But the smaller diameters are still designed to work with the same car. With enough effort you can go to even smaller diameters than that, like I know there are Bolts out there on a 15" diameter but I don't know how much work that took.

I drove an Ioniq 6 recently; fwiw it has a surprisingly small trunk. Like it's definitely smaller than my wife's Honda Civic and noticeably smaller than a Polestar 2's trunk (which I use all the time for costco runs, with 2 kids in carseats ensuring that I only have trunk space - hatchbacks are amazing).

It is even debatable if larger diameter rims "handle" better. The clear advantage they have is the shorter sidewall means the tire cannot deflect as much when turning, so they can respond to steering inputs a little more quickly/sharply. Like the steering will feel slightly more direct because a tire with a taller sidewall can bend more under lateral loads which induces a small lag in steering response. This doesn't however mean larger wheels with thinner side walls actually have more grip or cornering ability though, in fact they probably have less and are more likely to break free at higher lateral loading because they can't bend as much to conform to the road surface.

And larger wheels have more unsprung mass, which means it takes more effort to turn them, but that probably doesn't have anywhere near as much of an impact on "handling" as it does on range/acceleration.

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 5, 2024

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

priznat posted:

Polestar Blue:

You are in luck my friend.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

cruft posted:

I made it back home in the LEAF.

I love my 2019 Leaf but man I felt this.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Pretty similar to Toyota's Neptune Blue as well. Good color either way.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

If you're fitting smaller wheels, especially to a performance model, you need to make sure they clear the brakes, big brakes also being a reason for big wheels.

Three Olives posted:

You are in luck my friend.

Grabber Blue is a great fuckin color, 90% of the reason I wanted a Mach E. Ford's sparkly metallic red is also a great color.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Grabber Blue
Soul Red
Midnight Purple

Why even offer any other colors

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh yeah, I got a call yesterday, from the dealership I had so warranty repairs on my Bolt, telling me I need to get the oil changed.

Yeah, I'll get right on that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Elviscat posted:

Ford's sparkly metallic red is also a great color.

Nobody reds like Mazda though. It’s a shame about literally everything they make that isn’t the MX5 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Grabber blue is pretty nice, Ford musta stole that when they were in cahoots with volvo :haw: