Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

mAlfunkti0n posted:

After looking at vehicles for the past couple of days (no chance of selling our model 3 anytime soon thanks to Hertz), I am not sure how Plug In Hybrids are even viable for most people. Besides the Kia Niro PHEV, you're as expensive as a BEV in many of the categories.

That and now you still have to complexity of having the ICE .. I just don't see how they are really a thing. Regular hybrids are far less expensive and I can see more people going that route (especially since Toyota isn't selling a non hybrid Camry now).

PHEV is great if you can only have one car and do a lot of short city trips. Most people I know with them drive most of the time on just battery but can also make a 3+ hour drive without even thinking about it. Even better if you have solar or your time of use electricity is cheap. When you can have two cars then it makes more sense to me to consider a pure EV for one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

grahm posted:

PHEV is great if you can only have one car and do a lot of short city trips. Most people I know with them drive most of the time on just battery but can also make a 3+ hour drive without even thinking about it. Even better if you have solar or your time of use electricity is cheap. When you can have two cars then it makes more sense to me to consider a pure EV for one of them.

Our family has both a Bolt and a Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid). The Bolt gets most of the driving, but the Prime can usually handle the shorter trip on battery only when two simultaneous trips are called for. And when we occasionally road-trip to places with uncertain or inconvenient charging infrastructure, it gets the nod.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Only place I know of where for $85 you can get a hand beezy from an old lady wearing an alien mask.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

bird with big dick posted:

Only place I know of where for $85 you can get a hand beezy from an old lady wearing an alien mask.

Do they have a DCFC out front that only charges in 15 minute increments.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

grahm posted:

I guess my thought was how much is it really saving though? The best I have seen out of these is around 40 miles EV range, for the cost increase it just seems like the cost savings would be going with a standard hybrid.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

SlowBloke posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZOjcfY2bqI

500e are hitting stateside, with a very barebone starter spec tho. I think not even fleet models didn't have adaptive cruise stock here.
This would be a dream car for us if not for the ridiculous price tag (starts at $32k) and the pitiful range (~150 miles). One or the other might be fine, but together there’s just no value proposition to this vehicle.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I guess my thought was how much is it really saving though? The best I have seen out of these is around 40 miles EV range, for the cost increase it just seems like the cost savings would be going with a standard hybrid.

For the use case of 2nd car that takes the shorter trips and the occasional much longer trip, ours has been fantastic. Over 90% of the miles on the Prime have been electric. When we bought it in 2018, it still qualified for a $4500 rebate, which basically closed the price gap with the non-prime. Was a no-brainer to take the option that enabled basically no fuel use but with standard gas range when useful/necessary.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Peanut3141 posted:

For the use case of 2nd car that takes the shorter trips and the occasional much longer trip, ours has been fantastic. Over 90% of the miles on the Prime have been electric. When we bought it in 2018, it still qualified for a $4500 rebate, which basically closed the price gap with the non-prime. Was a no-brainer to take the option that enabled basically no fuel use but with standard gas range when useful/necessary.

Makes sense with the rebate.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I love my PHEV for commuting, with my 64km/40mi I can easily toodle around on battery for most if not all of the day, and then put it in fun mode when I’m feeling spicy. I didn’t buy it because it was a PHEV though that was just incidental.

Just wanted something relatively fun to drive that was practical for hauling kids and dogs around! If the BMW wagons were still in NA probably would have gotten one of those.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

Not in the US. The economy is roaring.

If you only look at Wall Street numbers, sure. But if you look at the fact that people are paying double what they were less than 2 years ago for groceries, rents are going up exponentially and wages having been stagnant for a decade or more, then the reality is that people are struggling. The economy loving sucks.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Makes sense with the rebate.

I'd make the same decision today regarding plug-in vs not. Where I live I can get electricity at $0.06/kWh for overnight charging. On the prime that's $0.015 per mile in electricity costs. At $4/gal and 50mpg, either version would cost roughly $0.08 per mile burning fuel. After 77k electric miles, the Prime would actually save money.

Costs of electricity and gas is extremely local and with the right combination, a sizeable premium can make sense even without rebate.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

If you only look at Wall Street numbers, sure. But if you look at the fact that people are paying double what they were less than 2 years ago for groceries, rents are going up exponentially and wages having been stagnant for a decade or more, then the reality is that people are struggling. The economy loving sucks.

Couldnt say it any better. Anyone not wealthy is hosed fro all sides

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

drk posted:

I never really considered a Bolt, though maybe I should have. I somehow thought it was discontinued, but I guess that was the hybrid Volt.

The Bolt was discontinued for the 2024 model year, but uncancelled for 2025 due to strong sales of the 2023 model.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

dissss posted:

The Atto 3 has a built in dashcam but it's actually a dedicated camera in the exact location you'd install an aftermarket camera.

Presumably they went this way because the 360 parking cameras wouldn't provide a useful view, and the lanekeep etc camera which is pointing the right way wouldn't provide a high quality image.

It was the same with my Song, but it came without the camera installed (just a rubber plug). I had to order one off aliexpress for 50 bux, and just snap it in and connect the cable. Works well and uses the onboard miniSD for storage.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Couldnt say it any better. Anyone not wealthy is hosed fro all sides

Even with all the economic problems happening, I keep hearing that EV sales are actually still up compared to previous years, but only just barely instead of the huge gains everyone was hoping and planning for.

I think Tesla specifically might be going in a bad direction because they have been stripping features and capabilities out of their vehicles for ages instead of staying competitive. When you only offer 5 models, they have to be really good and stay ahead of the competition, but Tesla's march of manufacturing cost savings have enshitificated their vehicles to the point where competitors are ahead on features and functionality in basically every way except the charging network. Like the model 3 was entry level luxury when it first hit the market, but today it is starting to lack stuff you find in other automakers base models.

That and also its looking like a bad bet on the cybershit:
https://imgur.com/sHnjnBi
Hey look everybody, this thing steers as good as Elon Musk steers the company.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

grahm posted:

This is my exact circumstance and I'm pretty happy with it. Runs on EV mode almost all of the time (charges at home for next to nothing) and the occasional road trip we take I don't even have to think about chargers and whatnot. The added weight in ICE drivetrain gets mostly offset with the lower weight of a smaller battery.

Having an ICE does mean more regular maintenance services, but BYD included 6 years/100k miles worth of free services with the car so :shrug:.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZOjcfY2bqI

500e are hitting stateside, with a very barebone starter spec tho. I think not even fleet models didn't have adaptive cruise stock here.

I sure like when companies decide that the higher trims shouldn't come in colors. While the black is fine, the seats aren't.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

mAlfunkti0n posted:

After looking at vehicles for the past couple of days (no chance of selling our model 3 anytime soon thanks to Hertz), I am not sure how Plug In Hybrids are even viable for most people. Besides the Kia Niro PHEV, you're as expensive as a BEV in many of the categories.

That and now you still have to complexity of having the ICE .. I just don't see how they are really a thing. Regular hybrids are far less expensive and I can see more people going that route (especially since Toyota isn't selling a non hybrid Camry now).

a friend of mine bought one of volvo's plugin hybrids and loves it. a class two hitch, enough battery to commute on, and zero range anxiety for weekend stuff. what's not to get?

e: he also lives out in the sticks where the only reliable charging infrastructure is a 240v outlet at home and a charger at his wife's work, i'm sure that factored in

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 3, 2024

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Indiana_Krom posted:

Even with all the economic problems happening, I keep hearing that EV sales are actually still up compared to previous years, but only just barely instead of the huge gains everyone was hoping and planning for.

To wit, California's ZEV sales figures for 1Q 2024 are out after I spent a wonderful Friday night furiously de-duplicating VINs jfc. Here's the quarterly breakdown.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I have a plug-in hybrid too (Hyundai Ionic). Got it because I can usually grab the street parking in front of my philly row home to charge, but not always. So it's not a huge deal if I don't get a chance to charge it. I do end up doing like 50% of my driving on battery.

At the time I purchased it, the EV rebate made the plug-in version very competitive to the pure hybrid. If there was a 5k difference in price though, I don't think the gas savings would be worth it given how little I drive.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Wages are up significantly though, much higher than inflation. I am not saying its great for everyone, but people have more purchasing power now. The fed has to keep a high interest rate to stop people from buying so much crap.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Tayter Swift posted:

To wit, California's ZEV sales figures for 1Q 2024 are out after I spent a wonderful Friday night furiously de-duplicating VINs jfc. Here's the quarterly breakdown.

Still seems healthy. Where I am in CA, it feels like every 4th car I see is an EV. I can't drive anywhere without seeing a shitload of Teslas.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Latest stats from AU are that EV sales are up 30% for the year to date compared to the same period last year, even though in April they weakened slightly.

Tesla AFAIK are still selling like hotcakes, though im not sure what official sales figures we'll get from now on because both Tesla and Polestar quit the motor industry governing body that manufacturers report to because they were Toyota/Mazda - chaired ICE shills

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Arrived at sandwich shop

FSD was A+ the first half of the trip and then Autopilot was D- the second half of the trip.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Full Sandwich Driving

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

That picture makes the sandwich look like the size of a twin mattress

real double dare sandwich art

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
BWBD posting food that isnt a food crime....?

Imposter, who are you and what have you done with the real BWBD?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

BWBD has been on point in the Costco thread lately.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Looks like a sirloin stuck between two pieces of wonder bread with the crust cut off.

I’d probably eat it.

Also, gonna check out that Costco thread.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

You have to have been a Costco member as of April 30 this year.

Trust me, I looked.

e. I might still go for it. I'll just be really loving annoyed.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

bird with big dick posted:

Arrived at sandwich shop

FSD was A+ the first half of the trip and then Autopilot was D- the second half of the trip.

Looks like a sandwich in the back of a cyber truck. Normal sized sandwich I assume, the truck bed is just that small

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

borkencode posted:

Looks like a sirloin stuck between two pieces of wonder bread with the crust cut off.

I’d probably eat it.

Also, gonna check out that Costco thread.

thats a japanese thing isnt it? huge square red meat between flush-cut white bread

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yes, it’s a steak katsu sandwich

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Rusty posted:

Wages are up significantly though, much higher than inflation. I am not saying its great for everyone, but people have more purchasing power now. The fed has to keep a high interest rate to stop people from buying so much crap.

There is also more homeless people in the US than in over 70 years iirc. The wages cannot keep up with greed-driven inflation.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Vegetable posted:

This would be a dream car for us if not for the ridiculous price tag (starts at $32k) and the pitiful range (~150 miles). One or the other might be fine, but together there’s just no value proposition to this vehicle.

Not much you could do with the range, if you use skateboard battery packs and you have small cars, you cannot fit bigger packs. The price is steep but, since it's a 30k€ car plus the RORO ship trip from Europe, it's understandable. If they decide to set up production in South America the price should go down.

Duck and Cover posted:

I sure like when companies decide that the higher trims shouldn't come in colors. While the black is fine, the seats aren't.

Red edition is one step above the steel wheels fleet model, it's not the top of the range (LaPrima). Every other trim has a full set of interior and exteriors personalizations.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 3, 2024

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

how many people go more than 150 miles a day in their fuckin tiny rear end fiat five hundred. that seems like a good compromise for what the car is

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cactus Ghost posted:

how many people go more than 150 miles a day in their fuckin tiny rear end fiat five hundred. that seems like a good compromise for what the car is

in europe this is very normal op

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

200-mile commutes are normal in europe?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It really isn't, you will get a comfy German tourer if you do, not a tiny A-segment city car. People will do long journeys with A segment BEV like twingos but it's more of a "gently caress you, I won't do what you tell me" statement, especially with their lack of fast charging (the 500 is a rare exception, most A segment BEV are AC charging only).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Cactus Ghost posted:

200-mile commutes are normal in europe?
And via personal car? The whole of an extensive train setup is to avoid personal autos for long trips.