Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

The chuds are so mad rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Dongicus posted:

The chuds are so mad rn

https://twitter.com/FINALLEVEL/status/1786495813046194475?t=lAB0no2DYSaOfjgPykWGkQ&s=19

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Anyway the last couple pages suck rear end please talk about literally anything else. So many cathedrals everywhere for all of you to see and all you look at is chud. Open your eyes

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

New topic: what anime is the gayest

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Is that from Dungeon Meshi?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/SenFettermanPA/status/1786509165340357115

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
A clean stainless steel vat? Oh the humanity

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
hopefully they'll get them small and cheap enough to just have in home meat vats soon :yum:

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Byzantine posted:

Which was a little bit weird since the character was hetero in the original timeline, which implies that time-traveling spaceships turn people gay.

The only time Sulu was explicitly pursuing a woman was in the Mirror Universe, and, as we all know, your Mirror sexuality is the opposite of your normal one. Sulu was always gay, QED.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

You wouldn't last an hour in the asylum where they raised me

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Saddest Rhino posted:

You wouldn't last an hour in the asylum where they raised me

Wow, vat grown posters!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Big government tyranny preventing me from eating the lab grown meat.

It is my god damned right as a god damned american citizen to eat whatever the hell I god damned want.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

The only time Sulu was explicitly pursuing a woman was in the Mirror Universe, and, as we all know, your Mirror sexuality is the opposite of your normal one. Sulu was always gay, QED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M58aP5DtNqY&t=149s

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I'm not intellectually opposed to lab grown meat, but I just feel on an instinctual level it would have less oversight in terms of being actually safe to eat, so I'm not super against this ban. I'm not even sure if we should be studying it, if you care about the environment work on figuring out how to get people to eat less meat or work on getting the meat industry to be less terrible for the environment. I also think all of the people who hate the concept of Impossible or Beyond burgers would also hate the lab grown burgers, because a lot of it is just people being like "stop telling me I have to eat less beef."

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Air Skwirl posted:

I'm not intellectually opposed to lab grown meat, but I just feel on an instinctual level it would have less oversight in terms of being actually safe to eat, so I'm not super against this ban

I kinda think it would be safer - not exposed to disease, parasites, farmyard filth and so on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You already eat shitloads of things that are made in a lab.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, but it's very possible that companies pivoting to lab grown meat are doing it because it gives them a loophole to get around some safety regulation or other and it's actually legal for vat beef to be 30% lead by mass. With established labs, we've had time to catch that poo poo out

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Air Skwirl posted:

I also think all of the people who hate the concept of Impossible or Beyond burgers would also hate the lab grown burgers, because a lot of it is just people being like "stop telling me I have to eat less beef."

But the whole point of lab grown meat is so you don't have to eat less beef?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dabir posted:

Yeah, but it's very possible that companies pivoting to lab grown meat are doing it because it gives them a loophole to get around some safety regulation or other and it's actually legal for vat beef to be 30% lead by mass. With established labs, we've had time to catch that poo poo out

This is my worry, there's no set rules, so companies won't follow any rules and by the time we figure out "oh there should be some rules" if those companies are profitable they will have spent 100s of millions of dollars on lobbying and astroturf campaigns and what not to prevent an actually effective rules were passed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How is that different from literally any other food in existence?

Like what do you think is stopping someone from selling lead paint as yoghurt?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Late stage capitalism. FDA was invented because of the horrible poo poo people would claim was "food" and they were pretty good at shutting that down, but they kinda suck at it now. Also the poo poo the FDA was invented for was to stop poo poo that would give you a horrible disease in the short term, lab grown meat is going to involve a lot of synthetic hormones and stuff, so stuff like behavioral changes or cancer in ten years, not as easy to study.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But again that is literally true of anything you put into your body right this second. What is difference between weird extruded lab meat and any of the thousands of other food products that go on sale? Either there is something stopping people from selling stuff that kills you or there isn't.

Like if I say "I have invented fuud, which is legally distinct from food and so is not covered by the FDA" that doesn't then mean I can just put the label on a canister of hexavalent chromium and sell it to people to eat.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 12:22 on May 4, 2024

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Not everything.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Like what do you think is stopping someone from selling lead paint as yoghurt?

Well selling lead paint as yoghurt isn't a legal grey area, for one thing, and we at least have the expectation that regulators would come down on any company doing that like the fist of a wrathful god. New innovations don't get that treatment.

You want another example, experimental driverless cars in San Francisco are running people over and locking up in the middle of busy roads, causing traffic jams and blocking emergency services, but there's no law on the books that says the operator is responsible for their behaviour, so nobody gets punished. "But literally any vehicle could do that?" Yeah, but if there's a driver, they're subject to rules and have to suffer consequences for their actions, like being dragged from their piece of poo poo car and hurled into the sea by several angry firefighters.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes because "driverless cars" are an actually new concept, food is not. Food already comes in god knows how many chemical compositions, shapes, production methods etc. Synthesising a food using chemistry and culturing processes is not a novel idea, it's just nobody's yet figured out how to make something meat-like that you would want to eat, cheaply. But when they do there are going to be existing laws that cover it because it's still food. We already make cheese by utilizing cell cultures to convert feedstock into a desirable end product.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 12:35 on May 4, 2024

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

OwlFancier posted:

But again that is literally true of anything you put into your body right this second. What is difference between weird extruded lab meat and any of the thousands of other food products that go on sale? Either there is something stopping people from selling stuff that kills you or there isn't.

Like if I say "I have invented fuud, which is legally distinct from food and so is not covered by the FDA" that doesn't then mean I can just put the label on a canister of hexavalent chromium and sell it to people to eat.

That’s what the “Not for Human Consumption” *wink wink* label’s for, like on this salvia incense

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

And specifically for food related science projects, poo poo like Soylent (an insane thing to name your food replacement product), which actually advertises itself as being a replacement for being food, is almost completely unregulated.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Yes because "driverless cars" are an actually new concept, food is not. Food already comes in god knows how many chemical compositions, shapes, production methods etc. Synthesising a food using chemistry and culturing processes is not a novel idea, it's just nobody's yet figured out how to make something meat-like that you would want to eat, cheaply. But when they do there are going to be existing laws that cover it because it's still food.

"Lab grown meat" is a new concept, cars are not. That's a semantic argument.

My point is, neither you nor I have an intimate knowledge of the regulations that might apply to farmed meat but for some bizarre reason don't apply to lab meat, but some motherfucker in a suit that costs more than you spend on food in a year sure does. Lab grown meat is probably a net good for the planet in the long run, and Fetterman's a dumb rear end in a top hat for going "but the faaahhhhhmus" about it, but I ain't touching it until we've been through at least one poisoning scandal that ended in rewriting some regulation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not a semantic argument because the notion of liability in traffic accidents assumes that there are drivers of the cars to be liable. It runs into problems if there aren't drivers, that's what makes it new.

Making food in vats with chemical and culturing processes is already a very widely used process in food production. There's very little reason to assume that lab grown meat would be for some reason excluded from this other than that you've apparently just assumed that will be the case and are retreating to "well nobody can really know anything" to support that assumption.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

It's not a semantic argument because the notion of liability in traffic accidents assumes that there are drivers of the cars to be liable. It runs into problems if there aren't drivers, that's what makes it new.

Making food in vats with chemical and culturing processes is already a very widely used process in food production. There's very little reason to assume that lab grown meat would be for some reason excluded from this other than that you've apparently just assumed that will be the case and are retreating to "well nobody can really know anything" to support that assumption.

It's not the liability of who's at fault in the car accident, it's the liability of who's at fault in building the car when the car you bought crashes into a wall with you in it. The potential pitfalls of lab meat isn't a drunk driver, its someone being stupid enough to buy a Tesla

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

We can know if lab grown meat will be subject to the same safety regulations as other forms of food, it's simply a fact that I don't and I don't have the time, brainpower or attention span to figure it out. If you do, go ahead, the reassurance would be nice. In the meantime, I'm gonna go on not trusting any innovations from the country that's busy crushing children with tank-sized "light trucks" (not covered by environmental regulations) and choking the planet by burning all the fossil fuels we have left on cryptocurrency (not technically considered securities until very recently). Can you think of any new, innovative business models to come out of the US lately that weren't based on dodging regulation as long as possible to make the world measurably worse for no actual benefit?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes, that's the novel element, you have correctly identified that because there is not a driver to be liable for where the car was driven, it introduces the necessity for the manufacturer to be liable for where and how the car is driven outside of things like "the wheel fell off because of a manufacturing fault which caused an accident". This has now expanded to "every movement the car makes under its own power is the potential liability of the manufacturer" and that necessitates new legal precedents and possibly new legislation.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Would you like some lovely lab grown meat produced under EU regulations instead?

Last I heard it's still the case that it costs so much energy to produce that it would be quite expensive and also it's not available for public consumption even if you have a big wallet. But be assured, it's not just being worked on in North America.

Banning it outright is garbage politics trying keep/win favor with certain groups instead of actually spending effort on how to approach it with the needed caution. Posturing instead of policy.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 13:02 on May 4, 2024

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

Would you like some lovely lab grown meat produced under EU regulations instead?

Yes that would be more reassuring actually thanks

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Also fake meat is probably going to be less healthy than actual meat, not because real meat is healthy, but they'll test it and they will always go for taste over nutritional value. "This t-bone with some added sugar and a little less iron scores higher in our focus groups."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, it's like with beef or pork you know what you are getting - you are eating the musculature of a cow or pig, so the body will break it down into fats and proteins that can help with building muscle and replenishing fat stores (also pigs generally tend to be more fat and cows tend to be more muscular so you can tell the ratio in that way too), but lab grown meat is a bit less clear what's actually making it up, and therefore what kind of fat and protein you are getting out of it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Going by the historical example of Hershey's, they'll keep needlessly dunking it in chlorine to retain that familiar bleachy flavour

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

give me the bugs and the fake meat, I'll eat that poo poo, I don't care

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Just eat more vegetables instead of meat. It if you can't bring yourself to facing a vegetable, there's always potato chips. You don't have to create a whole new Frankenstein industry. Just let it go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dabir posted:

Going by the historical example of Hershey's, they'll keep needlessly dunking it in chlorine to retain that familiar bleachy flavour

The problem with lab meat is that it still needs to remove the waste products of metabolism, without the organs that deal with it in animals. In other words, it produces piss but has no way to piss

So I imagine the flavor to be ammoniac-y