Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Can't say I like the occasional glimpses of dysfunction you catch from other families at school drop off points. A second grader with an influencer mom and a real albatross of a first name walked up to me today and volunteered "my mom gave me a middle finger because I wasn't going fast enough" :smith:.

I felt so bad for the little guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

a real albatross of a first name

A... Adolf?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
there's a kid in my son's class whose first name is Awesome.

that's all I got.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

We drove our daughter to a bougier town than ours for 2's preschool and is2g she was the only one with a normal name in her whole class

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the idea of giving a little kid the finger is really funny to me for some reason (but obviously you shouldnt!!!)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You guys only gave your kids one finger? We gave ours ten.
Ten toes too

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Perseus.

I recognize that there are some perfectly healthy family dynamics where an 8 year old could exist and get the bird from their parent in good fun, but it was clear that the kid felt bad about it.

My kindergartner noticed it too, though, and she dug through her bag and gave him an invitation to her birthday party. It was the sweetest thing I've ever seen and seemed to cheer him up. :unsmith:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

lobster shirt posted:

the idea of giving a little kid the finger is really funny to me for some reason (but obviously you shouldnt!!!)

Sometimes it feels like the only appropriate response (but not this time omg)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

HootTheOwl posted:

You guys only gave your kids one finger? We gave ours ten.
Ten toes too

Budum pshhhhhh

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
a kid in my kid’s class is named Tesla and their parents dress their kid up very inappropriately imo for a 8yr old.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
ive seen two brothers: leonidas and adonis

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

lobster shirt posted:

have you met some kids?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
so when my kid comes home as asks us what poo poo gently caress, etc are we are pretty calm and explain we don’t say those words and they can be mean so just best not to say it. we don’t make a big deal out of it and she moves on.

but, my spouse keeps on trying to correct our kid from not saying ain’t . and lol she uses it at the right moment to get a rise out of her.

kid has great timing

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Anecdote from one of the parents that I rather like: One of her boys was on her last nerve and they were really late for something and in a moment of exasperation she lost it and yelled "JUST GO GET YOUR loving COAT." The kid, five years old, was confused and hadn't heard the word before.

"Which one is my loving coat?"

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
got our house deep cleaned as an early mother's day present

I was a little stunned how quickly my kid hosed it up

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
^^^ after seeing how fast they can turn a nicely cleaned room into a post tornado landscape, and how I felt, I started wondering if that was why some of the adults in my life would absolutely lose it with me.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Votskomit posted:

My daughter has 3 viruses: rsv, rhinovirus and... I think coxsackie? Plus a bacterial infection TBD.

Apparently all the kids coming in have that combo now.

Luckily they're pretty good at treating it and everyone is getting better.

wtf is cocksackie

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Nothing much, what's coxsackie with you?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm thinking about grabbing a tablet, dumping my phone photos and baby pictures onto it, and sending that to my mom. I got two approaches to this

I can get purpose built picture frame tablet: Sales Page and that looks p cool I just email photos to an inbox and it shows up on my mamas picture frame (assuming it is attached to Wifi)

Or

I can buy a $140 Lenovo tablet, there is a deal at bestbuy. I'd do Linux at it to strip all the onboard ad buttons and have my big ol photo dump contained in there. Good for the box open pop factor.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
There's something slightly satisfying about delivering on a promised threat

Can see his cogs turning as he realises "OH poo poo HE MEANS BUSINESS"

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
My son had a fever this evening. I did him dirty though and put him to bed without an acetaminophen suppository. He fell asleep an hour sooner than he has the past week.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm thinking about grabbing a tablet, dumping my phone photos and baby pictures onto it, and sending that to my mom. I got two approaches to this

I can get purpose built picture frame tablet: Sales Page and that looks p cool I just email photos to an inbox and it shows up on my mamas picture frame (assuming it is attached to Wifi)

Or

I can buy a $140 Lenovo tablet, there is a deal at bestbuy. I'd do Linux at it to strip all the onboard ad buttons and have my big ol photo dump contained in there. Good for the box open pop factor.

Rare product endorsement, but we got my folks an Aura frame and I'm really happy with it. There's an app that you use to send photos to the frame and it displays them randomly or you can remote queue a specific one. My brothers family can use it to so it's a forever* refreshing grandchild hub.

We ended up buying another one to digitize the kid's artwork.

*Until the company goes under and the app lapses

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
My wife was out yesterday at dinnertime.

My inlaws bought pizza for themselves and they sat and ate stoically as my older had the understandable meltdown.

Like, you don't have to offer (and I didnt ask, obvs) but not even thinking what effect that's going to have? Changing a single thing of your plan so I dont have to deal with a nuclear meltdown?

Dawncloack has issued a correction as of 10:18 on May 4, 2024

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
What the gently caress is wrong with them?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Struensee posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with them?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I actually kinda disagree, they absolutely did need to offer some pizza to the kid. wtf??

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I fuckin know, my wife does the same thing. I keep telling wife that if she wants to eat in peace she needs to do it out of eye sight of the kids, but nope, her meals are always on couch, always with children unsecured, out of sync with when they eat. So they demand a piece while she ignores and meltdown goes on. I don't get it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Dawncloack posted:

My wife was out yesterday at dinnertime.

My inlaws bought pizza for themselves and they sat and ate stoically as my older had the understandable meltdown.

Like, you don't have to offer (and I didnt ask, obvs) but not even thinking what effect that's going to have? Changing a single thing of your plan so I dont have to deal with a nuclear meltdown?

What the gently caress though

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

loquacius posted:

What the gently caress though

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

silvergoose posted:

I actually kinda disagree, they absolutely did need to offer some pizza to the kid. wtf??

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Is eating dinner together with whoever is in the house not the normal thing? Just getting dinner for yourself feels super weird.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Swede discourse incoming

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Every family is a foreign country. Your parents are the old country. Your spouse's parents are their own old country. Impossible to achieve true understanding.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

BonHair posted:

Is eating dinner together with whoever is in the house not the normal thing? Just getting dinner for yourself feels super weird.

Ehhhhh, it depends. Sometimes we're cooking something the kids will eat, and then we all eat together. Sometimes it's scrounging night, kids are eating mac and cheese, I'm eating leftovers, my wife's making instant noodles, and we just all eat whenever.

But "order food in and eat in clear view of kids while offering nothing" is rude as loving hell. It would be rude to do that in front of friends, too! Kids are people!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

silvergoose posted:

Ehhhhh, it depends. Sometimes we're cooking something the kids will eat, and then we all eat together. Sometimes it's scrounging night, kids are eating mac and cheese, I'm eating leftovers, my wife's making instant noodles, and we just all eat whenever.

But "order food in and eat in clear view of kids while offering nothing" is rude as loving hell. It would be rude to do that in front of friends, too! Kids are people!

We are the first generation of parents who are being held to that standard.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

BonHair posted:

Mealtime is an endangered art. Guard it well from these savages.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ironically, God refuses to ack when I syn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Guess which day we scheduled a 6 year old birthday in a public park. :sigh: