Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Meowywitch posted:

As posted in the RPG Thread by Endorph, Blue Reflection SUN is dead and shall not be missed

was that the one that added a male self-insert mobile game protagonist for all the lesbians from the jrpgs to fall in straight with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

was that the one that added a male self-insert mobile game protagonist for all the lesbians from the jrpgs to fall in straight with

yes.

https://twitter.com/BRSUN_game/stat...genumber%3D4383

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Note that you can't have cross-server guilds and the game is fragmented across hundreds of servers -- it's already up to #118 a few days after launch.

New players go to the newest server by default and all the "competitive" leaderboard stuff like pvp and the daily bosses that give rewards for being in the top X% compare you to the other players on your server.
If you really wanna play with someone in particular you can go back and pick an old server to make a character on but due to the timegated way level progression works from the afk income you'll just be forever behind everyone else, getting oneshot by people twice your level in pvp, and never able to get a good score on the daily dream realm bossfights.

Good game design.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Of course the main purpose of those time-sliced servers is so that new whales can join up and still have a chance of competing for #1 spot on their sever's leaderboards (if they spend enough $$$$) without being 100 levels behind the f2ps who've been playing since launch. If everyone in your little shard joined the game at the same time then the only way to get on top is to pay for faster progression.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

gross, glad it's dead

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if anyone is playing afk journey my protip is that if you get the undead king guy that self-rezzes, hes kinda frail for a tank but if you just run him with a second tank your comp basically becomes unkillable because they have to kill him, then your other tank, then him again. pair that with a healer and two ranged dps and you dont really need to worry about anything

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Of course the main purpose of those time-sliced servers is so that new whales can join up and still have a chance of competing for #1 spot on their sever's leaderboards (if they spend enough $$$$) without being 100 levels behind the f2ps who've been playing since launch. If everyone in your little shard joined the game at the same time then the only way to get on top is to pay for faster progression.

Yeah this sucks. Does it stay like this forever or do servers merge eventually? I haven't really played a game like this before.

There's a draft PVP mode that plays kind of like a traditional autobattler and it seems like it doesn't take into account your progression so it's a completely fair competitive mode. I'm liking that so far at least

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it stays like that forever. merging the servers would gently caress over the f2ps too because thered be way more whales

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It’s funny I’ve dumped more money into plenty of games but afk arena has a special place in my heart that is festering and cold.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Endorph posted:

if anyone is playing afk journey my protip is that if you get the undead king guy that self-rezzes, hes kinda frail for a tank but if you just run him with a second tank your comp basically becomes unkillable because they have to kill him, then your other tank, then him again. pair that with a healer and two ranged dps and you dont really need to worry about anything

Yeah, Thoran has been the anchor in pretty much all of my comps up to character level 80. A mix of: Thoran, Lucian, Cecia, Rowan, Marilee, Viperian and Smokey+Meerky has helped me push to fights 20 levels higher than my current team.

At this point I've started to reach the usual dust bottleneck so it's probably as optimized as it needs to be at the moment. Highly recommend tinkering with those characters if you want to just steamroll through the story and up 250 on the AFK fights.

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

what I like about the combat in AFK Journey is that it's like a really dumbed down autochess with a little puzzle-solving element, and there are some various modes like the crystal defense.

The problem with the game is what others have said about the servers. I was refreshing the server selection until a fresh one was made (a couple hours before reset) and rolled there to be able to get a head start and top 10 in the first dream realm. There was someone lvl 60 in the first 12 hours where I hit a wall around 40-50 so I guess spending can really get you there quick. Right now I'm just trying to manually push my afk battles in order to progress past chapter 3 miasma requirement.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

This time tomorrow SiF2 will be dead (in jp), and there will be no Love Live games to play anymore

Global to follow in 2 months

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I’ve been wanting to try a non-Mihoyo gacha game and an idle-type game for awhile, and this one is very pretty, and man can I immediately see how people get sucked into shelling out cash for these games. It feels like a finely tuned system meant for enticing you to spend money.

That said I’m enjoying playing the game - there’s just enough looking at characters and trying to figure out good team strategies to keep it interesting for now, and the numbers going up is super comfy. I’ve been resistant to being pulled into spending in the past so if that keeps up here I could see it being a fun 20 minutes a day kind of diversion at its current pace.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I started it and yeah it’s as addicting as arena with some competent updates.

Reminder to never spend money because it is completely pointless the void is vast and endless and you cannot fill it.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Oh and shout out to lillith for the Free If You Buy It rewards track. Never seen one of those before truly innovators in the space.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I gave them $1 and am going to give it a few weeks before I decide on anything else. “MMO subscription” is what I don’t feel bad about spending on these games since they fill the same basic entertainment, so if I’m still having fun then I’ll probably get the cheap battlepass or something.

My biggest complaint so far is you can’t make the hamsters super powerful. Hopefully there’s an S-rank hamster at some point.

Also the PC client runs well and looks nice but control wise it’s weirdly between a native client and the mobile UI. Hopefully they continue working on that but it’s good enough for now.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I've still not pulled a single Thoran and have spent like $30 on random stuff. I had to buy Granny from the Arena shop just to have one proper tank. One day...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

kater posted:

Oh and shout out to lillith for the Free If You Buy It rewards track. Never seen one of those before truly innovators in the space.

Lmao

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

ShaneB posted:

I've still not pulled a single Thoran and have spent like $30 on random stuff. I had to buy Granny from the Arena shop just to have one proper tank. One day...

Make sure you have him on the wishlist and actually save it. I've seen ppl screw themselves over thinking they had him in their wishlist but never saved after updating it.

I just realized today that the capes & titles for being top 10 in dream have a timer on them lmao, so you have to keep scoring high to keep them. You will start hitting a wall if you go thru the story too fast where you basically have nothing to do until your afk resources pile up enough so that you can level up your roster.

I was looking at what you can buy, and it doesn't seem like you can purchase the training manuals for money or gems, so I'm wondering how people are leveling so fast? Perhaps it has to do with spending to level up the VIP and also unlocking the Noble Path paywall will give extra manuals. Or does having the right heroes at Mythic+/Supreme+ really make a huge difference. Progressing in the AFK levels seem to be the biggest part of determining how quickly you can level up/progress through the story.

The more I play this game, the more I actually want to go back to the auto chess in dota 2 custom games where you just play a match. Might check out TFT as I never played it and it seemed really popular when it first came out. Is Underlords stil around or has it gone full Artifact TCG? The makers of the Dota 2 auto chess made their own standalone but it doesnt look nearly as good without the dota assets and UI.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Brass posted:

Make sure you have him on the wishlist and actually save it. I've seen ppl screw themselves over thinking they had him in their wishlist but never saved after updating it.

Oh trust me, he's there. Good looking out, though.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Weirdly enough, this actually came from the player/whale side. We just started noticing that when we'd have to fire up new servers, a lot of older players would jump ship to use their meta knowledge and understanding of relative whale status to get better status and return on their spend. All leaderboard based rankings are functionally dollar auctions, so if you end up on a server with some hyper whales, it's better to go elsewhere for your value. The industry side responded by realizing that dollar auctions work best when they are close, and started by building out around the server shopping that was happening.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Are there any goon guilds...IDK how to even see what server I'm in etc. I joined a rando guild but it seems like it's full of people going to quit in a day anyways.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Anyone playing AFK Journey (I dropped it due to performance issues), use code AFKJourneyLGIO for some freebies.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

New Leaf posted:

Anyone playing AFK Journey (I dropped it due to performance issues), use code AFKJourneyLGIO for some freebies.

There's a bunch of active codes right now by the way. There's a list of most of them here:
https://www.prydwen.gg/afk-journey/codes

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Brass posted:

I was looking at what you can buy, and it doesn't seem like you can purchase the training manuals for money or gems, so I'm wondering how people are leveling so fast? Perhaps it has to do with spending to level up the VIP and also unlocking the Noble Path paywall will give extra manuals. Or does having the right heroes at Mythic+/Supreme+ really make a huge difference. Progressing in the AFK levels seem to be the biggest part of determining how quickly you can level up/progress through the story.

By manuals do you mean xp? Theres the button on the afk rewards screen that gives you 2 hours of xp/gold/dust instantly once per day. You can pay crystals (thus also real money) to keep pressing it over and over. At least up up to some limit, not sure how far it goes.

The idea is that, once somone gets up to one of those "be this level to continue" walls in the main story they can bust out the wallet and buy just enough of those 2 hour skips to get over it. Then they can continue the main story and get all the xp rewards from the story/overworld fights which bring them much further ahead than the bought xp did alone. (Although you get enough crystals for free early on that you wouldn't actually need a wallet to do that... unless you were doing it every day to stay ahead.)

Also rolling the gacha a ton with $$$ gives dupes to boost your characters' stats and unlock new passives, which means you can go further in the afk stages than a f2p player would even at the same xp level. Which means you then get increased xp per hour (and per 2-hour skip) and can pull further ahead.

TaintedBalance posted:

Weirdly enough, this actually came from the player/whale side. We just started noticing that when we'd have to fire up new servers, a lot of older players would jump ship to use their meta knowledge and understanding of relative whale status to get better status and return on their spend. All leaderboard based rankings are functionally dollar auctions, so if you end up on a server with some hyper whales, it's better to go elsewhere for your value. The industry side responded by realizing that dollar auctions work best when they are close, and started by building out around the server shopping that was happening.

This makes a lot of sense!

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 1, 2024

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
It’s kind of incredible the amount of effort ShiftUp put into their Nikke April Fools event.

It’s also pretty hilarious.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

It’s kind of incredible the amount of effort ShiftUp put into their Nikke April Fools event.

Yeah it was really good, and thorough to boot. So many little details you can miss like the skill descriptions in the regular combat portion and item descriptions in the special intercept with hidden messages, and the story episode titles. The 8 bit alteisen theme remix is also really good, though they were starting with a banger in the first place.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Is there a place to go for specific game hints/tricks, or is it just find the reddit sub. I guess I'm wondering if there is a gamefaqs style thing.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

theblackw0lf posted:

I just really wish they'd make the SD combat a permanent mode.

LorneReams posted:

Is there a place to go for specific game hints/tricks, or is it just find the reddit sub. I guess I'm wondering if there is a gamefaqs style thing.

I guess it'll depend on exactly what you're looking for but https://prydwen.gg/ is a pretty popular resource for a bunch of gacha games.

uh you can ignore the doros

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

LorneReams posted:

There isn't really a singular site like gamefaqs that aggregates information/guidance on EVERY gacha - even Reddit is lacking in that way, where most posts are along the lines of "what're you looking forward/wishing for in the next update?".

Most games will have a singular site that's the most active/updated resource for it. Prydwen was linked earlier and is that for a lot of games, but finding the one for the specific gacha game you're playing basically boils down to looking through Reddit posts or a Discord that links to it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Game8 tends to have a lot of things too

Kale
May 14, 2010

Did Honkai Star Rail actually make an estimated 99 million USD in China last month on IOS alone or is that just the highest number that Sensor Tower will display in it's particular format and it broke the ceiling and it's just a placeholder?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

lol guess I found the wall in afk. Level 73 and in dark forest four, can’t kill a single wild mob and can’t progress the story at all until I gain 30 levels in the afk mode.

Kinda lame I was actually digging the story.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

kater posted:

lol guess I found the wall in afk. Level 73 and in dark forest four, can’t kill a single wild mob and can’t progress the story at all until I gain 30 levels in the afk mode.

Just come back in 24 hours. I’ve hit walls several times already and that always fixes it

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

kater posted:

This is pretty much the loop for AFK games. If you're behind by 30 levels in AFK mode, there's likely adjustments to your comp, placement before battle, or relic changes that will get you a bunch of wins.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I’m still really digging AFK Journey. I’m on AFK level 204, which the game tells me is top 2.9% on my server, and have still only paid the $1. Just started chapter 2, hoping to get through as much of the Dark Forest as possible by the time the world boss starts this week. Making sure to play arena the max 10x a day seems decently important - arena coins seem pretty powerful in terms of getting some key S-level characters to at least Legendary, which makes a huge difference. I was stuck on like 189 yesterday, got enough arena coins to buy a copy of Cecia and then had enough acorns to ascend her again and she instantly carried me another 15 levels.

And I’m also surprisingly enjoying the story/characters/world/whatever. It’s nothing revolutionary but it’s pretty polished and very comfy. I like that it at least begins pretty low stakes.

Anno fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 3, 2024

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Yeah dislyte had my brain seeping out my ears but this is competent enough.

I assume there’s some nasty level advantage involved because gosh things just got impossible fast.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I think it’s that and a stat (proficiency).

That said I’ve found you can go from getting rolled in a fight to winning handily with very little change. So much often rides on getting to a certain breakpoint with sufficient resources. If your tank can take one more hit then Rowan lives to get his ult off which lets Koko shield everyone which lets Cecia get to her ult which lets her get to her haste window which gets a second ult to heal her summon and he kills everyone. Stuff like that. It can change very quickly.

Anno fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 3, 2024

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I'm having a pretty good time with the Honor duel system right now, it's fun being able to play with a bunch of max level characters on a level playing field (for the most part, it also has a lot of draft based luck involved but it's way better than just losing to someone's wallet).

I always have a hard time parsing skill text in Gacha games. I don't know if it's a translation issue or that these kinds of games always seem to have walls of text explaining something that could use way less text. This game has short and long versions which is nice but the short version sometimes misses stuff, like mentioning an ability has some kind of CC component to it only shows up in the long text sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I’ve been on a shot streak pulling Granny. At first I was kind of annoyed because I didn’t really need a new tank, but then I pulled two more and had enough acorns to get her up to Mythic and then she carried me through 20 more AFK levels. She’s incredibly oppressive if you can’t burst her, just ults and heals back up. Doesn’t seem like she currently has a use in dream boss fights but she’s awesome in AFK/PvP. Just wish I had literally any Wilder synergy to go with her.