Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'm definitely sensing the (Sugar EP4) alien (possibly even Things) plot now. It sounded a little wild at first but some of the lines from Ep 4 got me. I don't think it's gonna be a bad alien infiltration thing. They seem like kind ones trying to do good things. I think they are involving Stallings to recruit more bodies for them to inhabit. One of those girls might be Olivia. During this episode I thought maybe he was doing sex trafficking, because that was mentioned earlier and he chose young girls off the bus. But Davy said the girls seemed "happy" (which could just be something a creep like Davy would think). One of my side theories is that Stallings is a bad alien and maybe the aliens have like a pact/law to not harm another one of them. Maybe they are the last of their race and view each one as important. Which is why they are keeping Sugar from finding out because he might kill Stallings. The other theory involves the scene with Miller who calls a clearly alive tree "fertile and dead at the same time". They could possibly be getting new hosts because not only are there so few of them, but they know the planet is dying. Which might be why they want young girls and are using them to make babies. Who knows, maybe they aren't exactly aliens and are just humans from the future who are sending off new humans to whereever the future humans ended up.

I'm digging the show and there is clearly something going on underneath it all. I like all the little theories of whats going on.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I haven't watched ep4 that's just dropped yet, but the polyglot gathering in ep3 I maybe got a little 'Wings of Desire' Angels in the Library vibe, is this drat show a reboot of Highway to Heaven!? :o:

This was an interesting theory I didn't think of until you mentioned it. Maybe they are (Some EP4 stuff here) angels. Maybe Stallings is actually a fallen angel doing evil things in his basement because it's his own little hell he created. If that were true, not sure why some of them would be protecting him. Makes me wonder where Mr. Siegel falls into any of this though, but he did build a shrine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Some of the gore FX in this week's Sugar were very weak, especially the knife. With two episodes left I'm wondering if next week will be an info dump while episode 8 will wrap up the mystery.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I loved the latest episode of Sugar. Weird show in all the right ways.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I don't understand why all those reviewers were so blindsided by Sugar. They've been telegraphing things extremely hard, and most people pretty much called it after episode threeish. No way you could watch more than a couple of episodes and think this is a normal noir show. Although, I'm with Sepinwall that they should've revealed the twist earlier. This is a a badass concept for a show, but now we've only got two episodes left to explore it, after six episodes of winking hints that there is something up with this guy.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Quoting myself in a flipped context:

Only Kindness posted:

OHHHHHHHH FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKK OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

No, I loved it. It was obvious something was going on just at the edges. And the Stallings Gang takedown was very satisfying despite its flaws.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I'm assuming that in addition to being aliens they're also extremely long lived from other comments Sugar has made.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Now that that is over with, I have questions about other things, like (EP6):what is the mission? Why are they locating lost/kidnapped people? Why did Ruby presumably try and kill Sugar? Who is the girl that Sugar sees in his flashbacks that Olivia reminds him of? Is it just some alien that looks like her, but not blue? Because now we know they aren't just body snatching, or at least I guess they aren't based off Sugar basically just turning blue. Some things I did notice was the symbol on the bag is the same symbol on the card from earlier. During the fight when Sugar almost gets shot, the arm that usually gives him problems is the same one that he blocks the bullet with. At first I thought he used like mind powers or something, but I think it hits the arm and deflects. Maybe it's mind powers though, but it happens so fast.

Definitely a weird show, but I'm strangely somewhat less excited about the final two episodes. It's like we got the real pay off in episode 6.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Acapulco remains the funniest show on tv. Glad season 3 is starting strong.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't like the fake out in sugar of that locked door. What was the point of locking the door? Why did that lady need to shoot anyone who went near the door? They heavily implied that Olivia was down there, but it was just dogs in cages? Was he running an illegal dog thing? Was it so illegal that even the other criminals would call the cops on him if they saw it? Seemed pointless misdirection.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How do y`all feel about the big door prize? Its very very sentimental (almost cloying) and quirky but somehow not in a way that ever gets aggravating. I ususally dont like these types small town romantic comedies. Yet i found myself liking this show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Baudolino posted:

How do y`all feel about the big door prize? Its very very sentimental (almost cloying) and quirky but somehow not in a way that ever gets aggravating. I ususally dont like these types small town romantic comedies. Yet i found myself liking this show.

I haven't had a chance to check out the second season yet, but I remember the first season often being fairly tragic -- this machine turns up to tell them about their "potential" and it often just reinforces this idea that they've either missed whatever chance they had or that they're already living their best life (and that life kind of sucks). I think there's something horrific to that. Is that what you mean by "sentimental" or are you thinking about something else?

I will admit, I was expecting the season to go more Stephen King with its material, but that was very wrong haha. Generally Apple comedies tend to be a bit too nice for my tastes, but I did enjoy the season.

What's the second season like?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've only seen the first 3 episodes, but the second season seems to be about the machine explaining more about what their potential is vs them just guessing. I'm enjoying the show.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Tbh, I’m shocked anything on Apple + is classified as a comedy outside of Ted Lasso and Acapulco. Most of their comedies seem to be light dramas where something funny may happen every other episode. (Ted Lasso had this problem in the last season.)

I enjoyed most of Big Door Prize s1 but wish it was a miniseries. Will def give season 2 a shot.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Spacebump posted:

Tbh, I’m shocked anything on Apple + is classified as a comedy outside of Ted Lasso and Acapulco. Most of their comedies seem to be light dramas where something funny may happen every other episode. (Ted Lasso had this problem in the last season.)

I enjoyed most of Big Door Prize s1 but wish it was a miniseries. Will def give season 2 a shot.

The Afterparty was a good comedy, at least the first season which is the only one I saw.

I liked WeCrash too, and thought it was pretty funny.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Chairman Capone posted:

The Afterparty was a good comedy, at least the first season which is the only one I saw.

I liked WeCrash too, and thought it was pretty funny.

I did not see either of those, thank you for the recommendations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Season 2 is enjoyable of Big Door Prize especially since we are getting more Giorgio in the episodes and his character is amazing.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I find Big Door Prize hard to figure out because I don’t understand what story they are trying to tell. The machine seems to be making people’s lives worse, but I get the impression the show is trying to tell us the opposite.

Trina being in a relationship with the stoner kid continues to be weird.

One small thing in season two that I don’t like is the pixel graphics of the second stage of the machine, it really messes with the bittersweet vibe the show has going on.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I'm enjoying big door prize but I also think that all the stuff with the machine is just a tool to interrogate the inner life of these people and see how they respond to these types of mysteries and personal provocations

I'm not actually all that interested in the answers, I'd be fine if the show finished without them ever getting definitive answers to the hows or whys

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I seem to be making a habit of walking into ATV+ shows right as things heat up. Started For All Mankind right before the season 3 ending, saw some goons discussing Slow Horses and decided to binge it, ending right as the season three clusterfuck shootout started. And now I see you guys talk about Sugar so I took the evening to catch up, ending with the most recent episode… Why do I always make these week waits so intense for big revelations to wrap up 😣

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Oasx posted:

I find Big Door Prize hard to figure out because I don’t understand what story they are trying to tell. The machine seems to be making people’s lives worse, but I get the impression the show is trying to tell us the opposite.

Trina being in a relationship with the stoner kid continues to be weird.

One small thing in season two that I don’t like is the pixel graphics of the second stage of the machine, it really messes with the bittersweet vibe the show has going on.

I think the first season was about people confronting who they are, or what they wanted to be. You have people who get a card that tells them some deep desire they've always had, so they go pursue that. Other people get some quality about themselves that they need to face.

I think season 2 is about dealing with a regret from your past. We haven't seen everyone, but people who have regrets or wonder what would have happened if they had chosen a different path seem to end up with blue dots. In this latest episode, Mr. Johnson deals with his past of longing for that repair guy, and the years he spent wondering what could have been. The machine tells him that all that wondering isn't doing him any good and he needs to move on with his life. When he realized that at Beau's house, his dots disappeared. So I think we are going to see Dusty having to deal with his big what-if about whistler, maybe with that teacher lady. And Hana has dots as well, and it's pretty clear that she has a bunch of poo poo in her past that she needs to work on.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Anyone know anything about Dark Matter coming out next week? It popped up on one of my feeds and it's sci-fi and I like sci-fi in general but I'm not aware of the books, and it seems like there's already another show in recent history called Dark Matter.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Boris Galerkin posted:

Anyone know anything about Dark Matter coming out next week? It popped up on one of my feeds and it's sci-fi and I like sci-fi in general but I'm not aware of the books, and it seems like there's already another show in recent history called Dark Matter.

Yeah the old one by the stargate guy, it's unrelated.

The book for the new Dark Matter is pretty drat good.

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 4, 2024

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.indiewire.com/features/interviews/sugar-twist-colin-farrell-explains-episode-6-1234999533/
An article about the Sugar twist. Originally it was at the end of episode 1 and then they moved it to the season finale before putting it to where it ended up.

Boris Galerkin posted:

It seems like it is getting good reviews with star Joel Edgerton getting highlighted as turning in an especially strong performance.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.indiewire.com/features/interviews/sugar-twist-colin-farrell-explains-episode-6-1234999533/
An article about the Sugar twist. Originally it was at the end of episode 1 and then they moved it to the season finale before putting it to where it ended up.

I'm with Sepinwall that they should have kept it in the first episode. Alien noir detective who learned about humans by watching old movies is an amazing hook for a show, but now we only have two episodes left to explore it, after spending six episodes hinting that there is something up with this guy. At least they didn't move it all the way to the finale

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don’t think I would have watched Sugar if I didn’t know there was a twist beforehand, and I’m still not quite sure what to think of it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I liked it even with just the knowledge that something was up with him and not knowing anything yet

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I’m cool with the sugar reveal in the current episode.

Noirs at times can feel like something is off and I was wondering what the hell was up with the “good guys” the whole time which worked well against the dysfunction of the speigels.

Definitely one of the more unusual shows out right now.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
i like sugar a lot, but the episodes feel maybe too short. this one was 30 minutes. i guess at least that means there's no wasted filler like other streaming shows

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

thats not candy posted:

i like sugar a lot, but the episodes feel maybe too short. this one was 30 minutes. i guess at least that means there's no wasted filler like other streaming shows

You can absolutely make an 8 episode thirty minute show and be nothing but filler; that's arguably part of the concern about where they decided to place the reveal.

Speaking of I'm a bit perverse, but I reckon three quarters through your season is too far, but the first episode is too early. IMO episode four, just after the first act of your season but early enough that it forces the show to confront its weirdness as a central part of its rising action rather than as a swerve towards the climax. Avoids it becoming the lead in to a sad backstory explainer, that cliché of the streaming era.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

SimonChris posted:

Yeah, I don't understand why all those reviewers were so blindsided by Sugar.

lmao even in EP6 "A trafficker ... in humans?' when he could have just said a human trafficker, all the little pings on the :thunk: radar :o: You'd have to be doing some serious laundry folding while watching to not pick up something was going on.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lmao even in EP6 "A trafficker ... in humans?' when he could have just said a human trafficker, all the little pings on the :thunk: radar :o: You'd have to be doing some serious laundry folding while watching to not pick up something was going on.

I'm pretty good at calling twists and turns and it took me completely by surprise. I think I was just in the mindset of "This is a basic detective show" so I wasn't even looking for it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

NoneMoreNegative posted:

It’s an odd show for sure, though for me the old movie clips are the things I paid most attention to.
If I didn’t know to expect a twist I probably wouldn’t have noticed anything, I certainly didn’t hear the trafficker part.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I thought him and his "friends" were a product of some shadowy military experiment that resulted in psi powers or something like that

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
It feels like the alien body swapping is going to tie into the Seigel failson's coma and/or his grandfather's post-heart attack recovery somehow. There has to be a reason they're both still alive after enduring traumas that by all rights should have killed one or both of them.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
eh, the gun was a pretty small caliber, could easily have not killed him while leaving him a vegetable.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
big door prize is good this season so far, about as good as the last. not a favourite of mine but very likeable even though it isn’t a super light show. I like many of the cast including the daughter and Giorgio and Mary Holland

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Giorgio is much better now when he’s not a creep.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Watched Sugar after hearing it had a batshit twist. Even if I didn't know there was something coming knowing three languages and having a superhuman alcohol digestion would've been a sign of something. After the first episode I thought vampires but once he said "I know, I know, the mission is to observe" a few episodes later it clicked.

It feels like they're going for Under the Skin meets Dexter when it should feel like a Michael Mann project but the protagonist is an alien. If they had just leaned into it from the first episode I think it would've worked better.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Dark Matter: man, does it feel like this story has been done a million times before. I've never read the source material and I'm writing this as I watch episode 1. This statement may change

e: at least (ep 2 spoiler) he figured out what's going on by episode 2. It would've been a slog if it went longer

also Jennifer Connelly lookin smokin hot, nothing new there

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Scrotum Modem posted:

Dark Matter: man, does it feel like this story has been done a million times before

e: at least he figured out what's going on by episode 2. It would've been a slog if it went longer

also Jennifer Connelly lookin smokin hot, nothing new there

The only 50+ actress that tops her is Tricia Helfer.

The intro for the show is slightly different to the book so far, but i'm only 30 mins in.

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 8, 2024