Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Anyone got any thoughts on The Extra's Academy Survival Guide? It fits pretty solidly into the "wake up in a villain/villainess body and try fix poo poo" isekai subgenre, but dude wakes up in a VERY minor side villain that already got his rear end kicked/kicked out of the dorms right at the beginning of the hero's scenario. Now he's living in the woods, trying to build a hut and fish while still going to classes every day, and is just trying to keep the hero's story on the rails while keeping his head down. Artwork is really clean, great use of colors, I think AuraScans' translation and typesetting is pretty decent, and the story has remained interesting for 23 or so chapters so far. Mangadex has it listed, but what used to be a bunch of sequential chapters got nuked I think, so now I'm reading it on AuraScans' site itself, which seems to be fine with uBlock Origin or similar adblockers, and was mostly fine even without an adblocker on my iPad.

Mangadex (like I said, something must have gotten nuked recently from a translator slapfight or something so it's only like the past 6 chapters)

AuraScans (if it's not ok to post translator's sites I'll delete this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I enjoyed the Survival Guide webnovel a lot, unfortunately it's stuck on Yonder so uh, good luck reading it.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I enjoyed the Survival Guide webnovel a lot, unfortunately it's stuck on Yonder so uh, good luck reading it.

Story is pretty dang good so far, and like I said I love the art. Can you tell me approximately where the webtoon is in comparison to the WN? The comic is currently at the end of the first summer break, right after the Ophilis Hall dorm fire plot masterminded by Lortelle and right as Janica helps Ed to contract Mug as a spirit.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
The Ophelis Hall arc ends around chapter 40, so if summer break is over, I'd say about 45

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Another chapter of Speedrunner Isekai

Would be a good end to this if the slime decides to leave the demon army to pursue a career in speedrunning. But the fact that they have eaten countless people probably means giving them such an ability would lead to everyone in the world being in danger.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Where did this whole idea of doppelganger slimes come from anyway? I feel like I've seen it fairly regularly in more recent works.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Clarste posted:

Where did this whole idea of doppelganger slimes come from anyway? I feel like I've seen it fairly regularly in more recent works.

I mean, it's not uncommon for shapeshifter/changeling archetype characters to 'not have a form of their own', slimes fit that mold pretty nicely.
Though it probably became a lot more common post reborn-as-a-slime, which is probably the biggest example of shapeshifting + slime I can think of, off the top of my head.
I know one of the obligatory 'fierce monster turns into teenaged girl to hang out around protagonist' monsterpals in Middle-aged Hunter is similar, though there it's more a thing any sufficiently skilled monster can learn to do, seemingly.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's less general shapeshifting and more "eating people to be able to replicate them perfectly."

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, that one I blame on reincarnated as a slime.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Clarste posted:

Ditto from pokemon is the first example I can think of from a purely japanese perspective so it's been around for a long time. The assimilation aspect reminds me of 1980s 'The Thing' but it's a much, much older concept than even that. But like SubNat said, the idea that a shapeshifter has an indeterminate form of their own is old as dirt.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Clarste posted:

Probably an uptick since people played Elden Ring.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Paracelsus posted:

Probably an uptick since people played Elden Ring.

Was about to comment on that since I immediately thought of the Mimic Tears.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I feel like people are misunderstanding me a little: I didn't mean the existence of shapeshifters who can melt, I meant the conflation of "slimes," as in the classic fantasy monster originating from D&D's oozes before being forever changed by Dragon Quest, with shapeshifters. As in, they are called slimes instead of shapeshifters and identify as slimes in a world with generic fantasy monsters.

Edit: I ask this partly because there's another work I follow featuring a shapeshifter who the fans are calling a slime despite that word never being used, and it's confusing the heck out of me.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Could it just be translation goofiness?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Clarste posted:

I feel like people are misunderstanding me a little: I didn't mean the existence of shapeshifters who can melt, I meant the conflation of "slimes," as in the classic fantasy monster originating from D&D's oozes before being forever changed by Dragon Quest, with shapeshifters. As in, they are called slimes instead of shapeshifters and identify as slimes in a world with generic fantasy monsters.

Edit: I ask this partly because there's another work I follow featuring a shapeshifter who the fans are calling a slime despite that word never being used, and it's confusing the heck out of me.

The fans might just be pousoned by recent fiction.
Its like if it was made circa terminator 2 and the fans started calling that character a t1000

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Like a lot of things these days, it's probably down to some subtle shift in the light/web novel zeitgeist.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Clarste posted:

I do see what you're talking about; I recently started following a mediocre villainess story where the mc is a slime who possessed and inhabited a dead girl's corpse. I would be inclined to blame Rimuru too but I don't have any particular hidden knowledge here.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

nrook posted:

I do see what you're talking about; I recently started following a mediocre villainess story where the mc is a slime who possessed and inhabited a dead girl's corpse. I would be inclined to blame Rimuru too but I don't have any particular hidden knowledge here.

I'm reading that one too. It seems alright. Not sure how much Tense Slime had a hand in the recent trend, but I wouldn't doubt it given it's sheer popularity.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The X-Parasites from Metroid Fusion (c. 2002) is another gaming iteration of this with the assimilation aspect baked into it. While they aren't called slimes outright they are still the Sci-fi equivalent

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
I'm Originally From the Gamma Quadrant and Found Myself On a Deep Space Station As the Security Chief While Being a Changeling

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Odo's just going to be here in his bucket.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

captain innocuous posted:

I'm Originally From the Gamma Quadrant and Found Myself On a Deep Space Station As the Security Chief While Being a Changeling

I'm An Almighty Wizard But The Clown Is Too Robust

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I was Reincarnated as the Weakest Job, Butt I Turned it Into the Butt Annoying and Butt Butt Honk Butt.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
here is a mundane, fanservicey isekai with a guy who collects a group of monstergirls. it's nothing much but I do really, really like Shiro's character
Monmusugo!: Living in Another World with the Strongest Monster Girls with Translation Skills

weaponized motion sickness :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
three new chapters of sufficiently advanced medicine is indistinguishable from magic.

I wasn't too hot on it abruptly shifting from the current events and the surgery on the doctor's shoulder to a flashback of the six priests uncovering the cause of a death at a barony, but I wound up immediately getting drawn into that too. this series is so drat good

and holy poo poo this series is good at getting brutal without warning.

and then it pulls you right the gently caress back out of it with yet another characters utterly, utterly ridiculous getup
ah yes, the regalia of archbishops, Elton John heart sunglasses and a horned crown straight out of dark souls or elder scrolls

mannnnn the translator does a great job but I loving hate the little notes they leave all over the pages

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Giant Sister Being Eris is suffering.

This chapter had a lot happen but we're starting to understand why otherworlders are brought over here now. With some obvious embellishments in the reason given. But it sounds similar to how the Ride-On King's elves used humans from earth as well.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

here is a mundane, fanservicey isekai with a guy who collects a group of monstergirls. it's nothing much but I do really, really like Shiro's character
Monmusugo!: Living in Another World with the Strongest Monster Girls with Translation Skills

weaponized motion sickness :allears:

I have also been enjoying this extremely stupid manga. There is basically nothing interesting to say about the writing but the goofy humor and how willing the artist is to make shiro do weird things in the background of the duller conversations makes it stand out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Finally got impatient and decided to catch up to current with Surviving the Game as a Barbarian with non-official translations as the webtoons.com official dripfeed drops every Saturday, and the first season has actually been done since back in early February. That makes their lag about... 5 months at the pace they're going? I really enjoyed this first season of it, and hope the artist keeps it up. I like how it's a bit of a "I've played this game a hundred dozen times and know all of it's secrets and tricks" power fantasy, but dude has bad enough luck that poo poo constantly goes WAY more sideways than it would have if he wasn't there, so it's a great balance. The art is pretty great, and the official translation is pretty good without being too localized; the characters and writing are a great blend of serious and comedic, and it mixes slapstick and bloody violence without tipping too far toward one or the other. I really hope it keeps up the quality for season 2, which should be happening any day now.