Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Nin seems like she's one of those tabletop-to-video game characters that becomes iconic for her sub-type of character, like how Dak'kon from Planescape is for githzerai and how Lae'zel from BG3 is for githyanki. I honestly never knew that wolves could become werewolves in WTA, since all the characters to my recollection were humans in their base form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Whirling posted:

Nin seems like she's one of those tabletop-to-video game characters that becomes iconic for her sub-type of character, like how Dak'kon from Planescape is for githzerai and how Lae'zel from BG3 is for githyanki. I honestly never knew that wolves could become werewolves in WTA, since all the characters to my recollection were humans in their base form.

Oh, yeah. Original Werewolf there were three breeds: Human, wolf-born (or lupus) and Metis (born from two werewolves that was a bad idea from the inception starting with its name and is now gone).

Recent funny bit of writing: "They met in Brooklyn when it was still hardcore to rap about growing up there."

Also:

Book of Hungry Names posted:

But the galliard has been at this for a few years, and is rarely flummoxed by a new experience, which means you mostly just get to have fun, listen to music, and wander around the grubbier parts of the Valley with a weird little wolf-born.

:allears:

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 2, 2024

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
FYI it sounds like there will be a patch on Monday that might severely roll back save data on the apps and steam version of Book of Hungry Names. I guess I'm marathoning this because I think I'm in the back 75%. How many chapters are there exactly?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

FYI it sounds like there will be a patch on Monday that might severely roll back save data on the apps and steam version of Book of Hungry Names. I guess I'm marathoning this because I think I'm in the back 75%. How many chapters are there exactly?

Ten I believe.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

okay when the hell did david lynch started co-producing the story

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

dead gay comedy forums posted:

okay when the hell did david lynch started co-producing the story

Did you just get to the Roadhouse? Or was it ontological evil began to exist in the world with the development of man-made nuclear fission?

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 5, 2024

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dawgstar posted:

Ten I believe.

Ah, yeah, I’m at the start of chapter 8 and it felt like there were 1-2 chapters of story left, but I wasn’t sure.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I also have this on my phone so I can play at work during downtime. My first playthrough on PC is a charisma/maniuplation focused black fury gaillard and comparing that to the start as a strength/dex focused ahroun (aiming for bone gnawers) is interesting. I'm sitting at 4 out 5 levels of damage from sleeping outside as compared to my social focused character who grabbed a shelter bed her first night and a house her second.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Did you just get to the Roadhouse? Or was it ontological evil began to exist in the world with the development of man-made nuclear fission?

Just finished!

I thought the later woofgame had put more nuance on "nuclear = bad" side of things lol

I feel I got the general flow of the story, but I dunno if my char was too much of a dummy to have more revealing dialogues and updates, to learn more about moments such as these amazing mindfucks because Melodie suddenly out-of-loving-nowhere started pontificating as if doing her bit of Rust Cohle from True Detective and the game's text didn't change or there was no acknowledgement of that at all, unlike other scenes. I just assumed that it was the Tiger/the book taking a greater psychic toll. Since I never played woof, I just went along without much planning and ended up being a child of gaia philodox built to be a groundskeeping machine with good physical stats and mechanical skill, then realizing that Resolve/Composure definitely are good ideas to splurge up.

thinking about a black fury/silver fang full moon to just wallop dumbasses silly for laughs

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Can confirm that "No, screw YOU!" style is very fun, which I did as a Silver Fang in a sort of Ahroun Von Punchenstein manner. Especially if you get Greynail and Clay's Gifts. Squirrel also, oddly at first glance maybe, comes in handy but Squirrel's Gift is honestly useful for anybody with any Dex + Athletics investment.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I bought The Book of Hungry Names based on the glowing reviews in this thread and absolutely love it, but my Chapter 8 save turned into Chapter 2 with the patch today and I keep goofing up trying to recreate where I was at so I guess I'm starting over.

Ah well. Now I better know what I'm doing anyway.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
the werewolf novel game pwns

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One minor gripe I had was my personality choices meant during my second I was locked out of basically every Gift but one, despite qualifying in all other ways. "Whoops, you told a joke. Nothing for Baby."

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm having knife-eyes tell me I'm too serious while owl tells me I'm too goofy to learn their gifts, I've been taking joke responses every chance I get and have 5 charisma!

One of the spirits said I was too obsessed with comfort and I thought to myself, yeah that's fair.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I don't really understand what spirit is for. Does it replace regular skill check? E.g. if I already have high investigation or awareness, owl spirit won't do anything for me. Or it gives bonus to skill check?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm not loving how advancement works this time around vs Night Road, but it's overall still great.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

pedro0930 posted:

I don't really understand what spirit is for. Does it replace regular skill check? E.g. if I already have high investigation or awareness, owl spirit won't do anything for me. Or it gives bonus to skill check?

The passive gifts like Owl give bonuses to relevant skill checks.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

I'm having knife-eyes tell me I'm too serious while owl tells me I'm too goofy to learn their gifts, I've been taking joke responses every chance I get and have 5 charisma!

One of the spirits said I was too obsessed with comfort and I thought to myself, yeah that's fair.

I think you need a rating in multiple traits for some of the spirits. I also had three dots in Find Courage Through Laughter but Katherine still wouldn't teach me her thing. Since she's a Shadow Lord that probably means she also wanted some Litany Has Failed. Since Knife-Eyes is a Silver Fang you might try putting some into Litany Sustains Us.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Yeah some builds collect a lot of spirits, some only a few. But we’re getting the rest of the tribes as DLC (eventually) so I imagine we’ll get more spirits too, and hopefully that can help cover the spread.

FWIW it’s possible to unlock some spirits by swerving your temperament within a chapter. I don’t love that kind of metagame but you might as well mechanically integrate dispositions beyond the weirder dialogue checks in the story.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

If you're doing it in the browser version you can also inspect element and delete the disabled class entries on the greyed out options and still get the Gift if you feel a particular restriction is not your cup of tea.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism
How accessible is Book of Hungry Names to someone who doesn't know dick about the setting?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

How accessible is Book of Hungry Names to someone who doesn't know dick about the setting?

it's fine, I don't know anything and it explains it very well.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

There’s a journal feature that explains all the lore stuff. I don’t know if there’s anything that explains how the game mechanics work, but I assume it’s modeled on the fairly basic dice pool system of the ttrpg. With that, each dot in a stat or skill is 1d10. There’s a target number usually between 5 and 7 and you’re rolling a pool of dice to see how many come up as that number or higher. I think the game is still rolling checks in the background, but you can only see the stats being used on Storyteller mode and it doesn’t say the results of the rolls. Just assume more dots means more chances for a success.

If you want a really broad idea of the premise: werewolves in the World of Darkness are planeteers chosen by the spirit of the earth to smash bad things that hurt the earth and its spiritual energy. This works out when you need furry hulk rage to smash things. This doesn’t work out in most other cases that need something besides smashing rage.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm pretty sure there's no rolling, it's all just raw stat+skill+modifiers vs some target amount.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
as someone who grew up in Cambridge and visited friends in the valley a lot, i got a slumdog millionaire style flashback when they described the noho peter pan stop

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm pretty sure there's no rolling, it's all just raw stat+skill+modifiers vs some target amount.

It is yeah.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Basic Chunnel posted:

Yeah some builds collect a lot of spirits, some only a few. But we’re getting the rest of the tribes as DLC (eventually) so I imagine we’ll get more spirits too, and hopefully that can help cover the spread.

FWIW it’s possible to unlock some spirits by swerving your temperament within a chapter. I don’t love that kind of metagame but you might as well mechanically integrate dispositions beyond the weirder dialogue checks in the story.

It is megagming, but it's in aid of dislocating you from your character's true beliefs, it's a weakness that the Big Bad is using to exploit. Once I figured that out I felt a lot better about the mechanic. Though it also means storyteller mode kind of ruins that.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 7, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It can genuinely be frustrating going after some Gifts. There's one only gives stuff out to theurges but doesn't like my PC because his magic is too 'shamanistic' and I'd been purposefully going for Find Courage Through Laughter and The Litany Has Failed this but when I looked and she still wouldn't give it and I saw both of those traits have been lowered and I had no idea why. I guess maybe because I'd talked to Melodie beforehand and that lowered something even though I hadn't taken anything that would obviously mess with them.. First stop really ought to be seeing if you qualify for Gifts, I guess.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

I think you need a rating in multiple traits for some of the spirits. I also had three dots in Find Courage Through Laughter but Katherine still wouldn't teach me her thing. Since she's a Shadow Lord that probably means she also wanted some Litany Has Failed. Since Knife-Eyes is a Silver Fang you might try putting some into Litany Sustains Us.

ohhhhh yeah, I am very much on the other side of that track lol

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

WrightOfWay posted:

Ah that makes it simpler then. I had a check I was sure I'd make and it failed, but maybe it was something with it being a social check and my rage level putting a heavier penalty on it than I thought.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

ohhhhh yeah, I am very much on the other side of that track lol

Yeah, Silver Fangs are uber Litany boosters (mostly because it puts them on top) so Litany=good is their thing. This can also help if you want to smooch Melodie.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Ah that makes it simpler then. I had a check I was sure I'd make and it failed, but maybe it was something with it being a social check and my rage level putting a heavier penalty on it than I thought.

It feels like if you have a rating of 6 in something you'll always succeed, 5 if you've got a boosting Gift (Squirrel for Athletics, Butterfly for talking to humans, etc).

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

With Gifts and Rage and all I have to strongly question the competence of the Garou, because holy poo poo those are some much easier gameplay mechanics compared to other splats (lol)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

With Gifts and Rage and all I have to strongly question the competence of the Garou, because holy poo poo those are some much easier gameplay mechanics compared to other splats (lol)

The Garou have been actively sabotaging themselves for pretty much their entire history.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

As I understand it, the Garou have the misfortune of being living hammers in a world where none of their problems are nails.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Khizan posted:

As I understand it, the Garou have the misfortune of being living hammers in a world where none of their problems are nails.

Correct. Also they actively killed all the other non-hammers. The Garou are basically a cancer, a cell that is way too good at its job and propagates itself to the point of killing other vital functions (the other lycanthropes) until the host body dies.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Every splat is extremely self-sabotaging and only the PCs can get anything done, as intended.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I think an unsustainable number of executives should die. They should focus on accidentally doing that too well.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I found BoN to be too bloated to be enjoyable. I was not surprised to find it doubled the word count of the comparably svelte Night Road at 1.6 million words. A rare and disappointing miss for Kyle Marquis. It seems they gave him a blank check after Night Road, when they should have given him an editor. Welcome to the grim and gritty word of the Garou, where we're not sure if the end of the world has already happened and we're just hallucinations in Gaia's death dream and Nazis lurk around every corner. BTW the main villain is Teen Wolf in a magic space suit. Looking forward to Pon Para 3!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I don't know, seems you're kind of taking the villains' ideologies as the truth? I'm sure if you keep agreeing with the ecofascists the whole thing seems grim, but I don't think that's remotely true if you think they can and should be fought?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

wiegieman posted:

The Garou have been actively sabotaging themselves for pretty much their entire history.

Khizan posted:

Dawgstar posted:

Every splat is extremely self-sabotaging and only the PCs can get anything done, as intended.

JUST SAYING that you can easily get a PC tank that can smash through a bunch of armor, regenerate damage on the fly, readily available gifts that can make - among other things - regen aggravated damage and provide insane benefits, well if I were Mother Gaia I would be seriously tut-tutting my angry beastchildren about their fail status when their magic battery only requires getting hyped up

(from oWoD, the other splat that apparently is more ridiculous from what I have gathered is Mummy)