Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Depends posted:

Is Voice of Orpheus worth crafting? I've only seen it used a couple times but I think I have most of the troops I really wanted to craft at this point.

Grundulum's mythic list in the OP is pretty good. I'd say Voice of Orpheus is even towards the bottom of the Situationally Useful tier. Don't bother crafting him unless you already have everything else from the top two tiers and you're going for completeness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Here's the only other up-to-date Mythic tier list I've found: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1370142493

(It has Voice of Orpheus in the B-Tier, basically same as Grundulum.)

The primary disagreement that I see is that that list has The Possessed King in B-tier as well, but reports from Grundulum and others here on TPK are positive enough that I'm going to assume the other guy just hasn't given it a fair shake. A little surprised to see him put Megavore in S-Tier as well, given how relatively rarely I have seen it in teams.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

There are a lot of weird choices on that list. I'd say TPK is borderline top tier, but to say he's B tier is nuts.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Anyone else who was mostly ignoring pets, if you've played a while and upgrade all the pets that you can, the Total Pet Rank rewards will probably give you at least a regular Chaos Orb and maybe a Major Chaos Orb, and more regular orbs if you've got lots of pets.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

New update looks to be out.

:siren: you can set a different class for each team and change classes without penalty :siren:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Devor posted:

Anyone else who was mostly ignoring pets, if you've played a while and upgrade all the pets that you can, the Total Pet Rank rewards will probably give you at least a regular Chaos Orb and maybe a Major Chaos Orb, and more regular orbs if you've got lots of pets.

Every 25 levels of pet you earn a chaos orb. At 100 levels of pet the orb is a major one. Also, you earn 5 gems for each 5 levels of pet, but that’s minor compared to the orbs.

onefish posted:

The primary disagreement that I see is that that list has The Possessed King in B-tier as well, but reports from Grundulum and others here on TPK are positive enough that I'm going to assume the other guy just hasn't given it a fair shake. A little surprised to see him put Megavore in S-Tier as well, given how relatively rarely I have seen it in teams.

Time for some words!

TPK’s third trait is just bananas for mana generation, especially in a color-restricted environment, and especially especially if you have a storm running. Because it only triggers on 4+ matches, you never have to worry about the explosions handing a favorable board alignment to the AI. And the explosions can get rid of stone blocks in Delves. TPK’s spell is a Hail Mary; I very rarely cast it. But his ability to passively boost mana production is unparalleled.

As for Megavore, his spell is bonkers. It completely strips all enemy armor, and it does damage that scales as 2x Magic. The third trait is also intriguing, since there’s an 8% chance the battle could magically become a heck of a lot quicker on a 4+ match. But casting Megavore more than once feels like a waste. You’ve already stripped off the armor, so you are paying 24 mana for a decent-to-good single shot of damage. Lots of troops deal better damage, and for less than 24 mana.

Megavore’s use case would seem to be game modes with endlessly scaling enemy stats: Delves, Raid, Invasion, and Tower of Doom. But three of those four modes have an enemy in the back that’s immune to insta-kill (tower troops in Invasion, Zuul’Goth in Raid, and Dooms in ToD). So Megavore’s third trait will be far, far less useful. And since only the first Megavore cast does scaling “damage”, it’s good to ask if there are better things you can do with the 48+ mana it would take to reach a second or third cast. That would be three+ casts of any of the Mang clones. Which means three+ troops stripped of their armor. And unlike Megavore’s spell, the hero weapons can confer stat boosts to your team, so you come out better: Yasmine’s Pride gives life, Earth’s Fury and Mang boost attack, etc. And since you’re using the hero slot for scaling damage, that frees up a slot on the team for an extra troop to help with any other needs.

So I basically don’t see a use case for Megavore, while TPK is my favorite troop in the game right now for the “support” role.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 16, 2019

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Just started playing and these pubbie guilds ain't cutting it. Any room in the goon guilds?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Willeh posted:

Just started playing and these pubbie guilds ain't cutting it. Any room in the goon guilds?

Boiz is full, Gem Blossums can nearly always make room but participation in events is low.

(I'm still rankled that we didn't register for this guild war. Someone promote me so I can see it doesn't happen again.)

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Guess I'll wait for a bit then for a spot to open up! I'm still working on lowbie poo poo anyway like unlocking all kingdoms.

The OP here is more helpful than anything I found on the internet.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
It's definitely worth being in Blossums over not being in a guild at all. So much free stuff. I can only imagine what the Gem Boiz gravy train is like.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I went 5-0 with this team. Leprechaun is surprisingly good, despite the terrible art. And Phonecia is amazing. Her spell does double damage with a firestorm running, and is boosted by red gems (and burning enemies but whatever). So, for me, she can easily hit for close to 70 damage depending on the board state.

Krystenax is a solid tank and damage dealer, and War and Peace just rounded out the colors and let me run the Sunspear class for the Firestorms. Sunspear is required, but let me know if you find something else that works for these two.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Hmm. Maybe Phoenicia needs to be moved up a tier in the OP. I genuinely didn’t think there was a use case for her when I wrote the list, but doing 50+ damage per cast in Guild Wars is a solid option. Alas, I do not have edit rights on the OP!

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Grundulum posted:

Hmm. Maybe Phoenicia needs to be moved up a tier in the OP. I genuinely didn’t think there was a use case for her when I wrote the list, but doing 50+ damage per cast in Guild Wars is a solid option. Alas, I do not have edit rights on the OP!

Don't grumble about it, you specifically didn't want to run the OP! I'll update her when I get home from work tonight.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Sounds like everything is full but HAGOP_XSDX is my invite code. Is there a cooldown for switching guilds or can I go join some randoms while waiting for a slot to free up?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

waffles beyond waffles posted:

I went 5-0 with this team. Leprechaun is surprisingly good, despite the terrible art. And Phonecia is amazing. Her spell does double damage with a firestorm running, and is boosted by red gems (and burning enemies but whatever). So, for me, she can easily hit for close to 70 damage depending on the board state.

Krystenax is a solid tank and damage dealer, and War and Peace just rounded out the colors and let me run the Sunspear class for the Firestorms. Sunspear is required, but let me know if you find something else that works for these two.

I'm gonna give this a shot; I was running Nyx/Draak/Soothsayer/Finley and barely one my first match (with only Finley alive).

edit: or not; I don't have Phoenicia

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

Hagop posted:

Sounds like everything is full but HAGOP_XSDX is my invite code. Is there a cooldown for switching guilds or can I go join some randoms while waiting for a slot to free up?

Definitely join randoms. And it's so quick to ditch and join another guild that if you suspect you can do better, just swap.

e: I ended up shuffling my attacking team around a bunch today. Started by putting War and Peace in to clear a weak team more quickly, and ended with Jar of Eyes, Yao Guai, Queen Grapplepot, and Asha (ocularen banner, titan) to deal with a heavy mana drain team and an all-goblin defense team.

Enkor fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 16, 2019

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

If you had some money to spend on the game what would you spend it on? I see some packs where they give you stuff daily and after 30 days you get a troop. Worth it?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Piggy Smalls posted:

If you had some money to spend on the game what would you spend it on? I see some packs where they give you stuff daily and after 30 days you get a troop. Worth it?

The Deathknight Armor pack is the best single spend -- I think that's generally agreed-upon.
edit: Eh, it came with a large number of keys, accelerated my early and mid-game (double the XP bonus of either of the top-tier gem armors), and gave me the convenience of never having to think about swapping armor. I thought it was worth it, but it seems like the only thing worth spending on (other than important special event weapons you're missing, when they come around). Path to Glory 2 has no duplicate protection for the Mythic, and traitstones are all very very farmable.

onefish fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 16, 2019

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Piggy Smalls posted:

If you're in a semi-active guild you'll hit midgame in a couple weeks, and endgame stuff in a month or two without spending any cash

I'm completely free-to-play and enjoy myself great. Gems flow in well enough to buy the +100 gold and +100 souls armor - you just have to swap out (for free) when you're changing what you're farming. You don't need the armor that does both at once.

Fake edit: Jesus no don't spend $50 on Deathknight Armor

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

onefish posted:

The Deathknight Armor pack is the best single spend -- I think that's generally agreed-upon.

I have the armor. Is the Path to Glory 2 pack worth it?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Can anyone explain how the various "Links" work, like "Water Link"?

I see it on Valk for instance. She's red/yellow but has "Water Link", so who is getting the extra blue mana, every other blue character? Or is it something else entirely?

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Solkanar512 posted:

Can anyone explain how the various "Links" work, like "Water Link"?

I see it on Valk for instance. She's red/yellow but has "Water Link", so who is getting the extra blue mana, every other blue character? Or is it something else entirely?

When you get mana, it fills in your troops from top to bottom based on the colors they use. That's why you generally don't want a troop further down whose colors are all blocked by troops above it. Your higher troops keep getting filled, you keep casting their spells, and your lower troop never fills up.

The link traits add bonus mana for each match of that color. Valkyrie gets Water Link because her skill creates blue gems.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Piggy Smalls posted:

There’s a section in the OP about this.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Devor posted:

If you're in a semi-active guild you'll hit midgame in a couple weeks, and endgame stuff in a month or two without spending any cash

I dunno about this, I've been playing for a month and a half for at least a couple of hours a day and I'd say I'm just about starting to see the midgame (I'm level 240, just finished getting all the magic kingdoms to level 10, have no mythic troops and only a handful of decent legendaries).

But then I don't exactly play optimally and Gem Blossums isn't the most active guild in the world.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 17, 2019

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Maugrim posted:

I dunno about this, I've been playing for a month and a half for at least a couple of hours a day and I'd say I'm just about starting to see the midgame (I'm level 240, just finished getting all the magic kingdoms to level 10, have no mythic troops and only a handful of decent legendaries).

But then I don't exactly play optimally and Gem Blossums isn't the most active guild in the world.

I guess midgame can mean lots of things. With a few decent legendaries you can probably field a team that can win most of your fights, you’re no longer limping along with a newbie team that relies on loops, and probably have a decent legendary weapon at +9.

I see myself at endgame with a team with one mythic that can win just about every PvP battle. Collecting all the chase mythics and finishing Dawnbringer is postgame

Plus you probably get a lot fewer keys compared to Gem Boiz

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
OP edit request: please change my suggested Crypt Keepers faction team. Right now it’s “Mist of Scales banner, Lady Morana x3, Grave Seer”. I think it works better with “Mist of Scales banner, Lady Morana x2, Spectral Knight, Grave Seer”. I just beat level 300 with the faction team (it took quite a few tries), and I think Spectral Knight is better than a third Morana. It uses the purple gems Grave Seer produces, and it can do targeted true damage. This latter is very useful to help control what troop gets the enchant bonus from the AI’s Grave Seer; the last thing you want is for their Spectral Knight to constantly be enchanted.

Edit: also, please move Phoenicia up a tier. kthx

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Does anyone think that Turtle Cannon is worth 2,000 Glory to turn it orange?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

Does anyone think that Turtle Cannon is worth 2,000 Glory to turn it orange?

Epic glory troops in general are almost always worth buying multiple copies of, because for 400 glory you get 2 Arcane traitstones, when for other rarities you spend 300 glory for 1 Traitstone

the OP posted:

Every week a troop is available in the shop for glory. Buy these troops, multiple copies even. They come with gold (yay), keys (more on this shortly), and arcane traitstones (more on this next). These weekly glory troops are one of the best ways to cut out some of the mid-game grind.

Go here to see what troops need what traitstones, so you can decide if you want to stock up them from the glory shop. Troops you'd want to trait with this week's Arcane Shield include Emperor Khorvash and Forest Troll at Legendary/Epic, but also the Ice Wraith bounty troop at Rare. I find Royal Engineer useful for its 3rd "Fire Link" trait for a lot of daily quests (Human/Adana/Blue/Brown) as well.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Grundulum posted:

OP edit request: please change my suggested Crypt Keepers faction team. Right now it’s “Mist of Scales banner, Lady Morana x3, Grave Seer”. I think it works better with “Mist of Scales banner, Lady Morana x2, Spectral Knight, Grave Seer”. I just beat level 300 with the faction team (it took quite a few tries), and I think Spectral Knight is better than a third Morana. It uses the purple gems Grave Seer produces, and it can do targeted true damage. This latter is very useful to help control what troop gets the enchant bonus from the AI’s Grave Seer; the last thing you want is for their Spectral Knight to constantly be enchanted.

Edit: also, please move Phoenicia up a tier. kthx

Updated, cheers.

ianvincible
Jan 23, 2004

Grundulum posted:

Every 25 levels of pet you earn a chaos orb. At 100 levels of pet the orb is a major one. Also, you earn 5 gems for each 5 levels of pet, but that’s minor compared to the orbs.

Time for some words!

TPK’s third trait is just bananas for mana generation, especially in a color-restricted environment, and especially especially if you have a storm running. Because it only triggers on 4+ matches, you never have to worry about the explosions handing a favorable board alignment to the AI. And the explosions can get rid of stone blocks in Delves. TPK’s spell is a Hail Mary; I very rarely cast it. But his ability to passively boost mana production is unparalleled.

As for Megavore, his spell is bonkers. It completely strips all enemy armor, and it does damage that scales as 2x Magic. The third trait is also intriguing, since there’s an 8% chance the battle could magically become a heck of a lot quicker on a 4+ match. But casting Megavore more than once feels like a waste. You’ve already stripped off the armor, so you are paying 24 mana for a decent-to-good single shot of damage. Lots of troops deal better damage, and for less than 24 mana.

Megavore’s use case would seem to be game modes with endlessly scaling enemy stats: Delves, Raid, Invasion, and Tower of Doom. But three of those four modes have an enemy in the back that’s immune to insta-kill (tower troops in Invasion, Zuul’Goth in Raid, and Dooms in ToD). So Megavore’s third trait will be far, far less useful. And since only the first Megavore cast does scaling “damage”, it’s good to ask if there are better things you can do with the 48+ mana it would take to reach a second or third cast. That would be three+ casts of any of the Mang clones. Which means three+ troops stripped of their armor. And unlike Megavore’s spell, the hero weapons can confer stat boosts to your team, so you come out better: Yasmine’s Pride gives life, Earth’s Fury and Mang boost attack, etc. And since you’re using the hero slot for scaling damage, that frees up a slot on the team for an extra troop to help with any other needs.

So I basically don’t see a use case for Megavore, while TPK is my favorite troop in the game right now for the “support” role.

My go-to PVP team for a few months was

Giant Spider ***
Stormsinger ***
Taloca ***
Megavore ***

Essentially you just loop the first two until everyone is full, then cast Megavore once which should let Taloca finish them off. A long ago version of this team had Kraken in that spot, and I consider Megavore a kind of a souped-up version of that. With all the looping, you increase the chances of Megavore's third trait firing and speeding things up. I almost never cast Megavore more than once, but I also hardly ever cast TPK when I use him, and I agree with you that he's a great support unit. I'd say Megavore is solidly at the top of the second tier (it's no Infernus, sure). All of the spell's quality is frontloaded to the first time you cast it, which isn't necessarily bad, and then the third trait and other incidentals (like the fact that it's spell also submerges itself, plus it's Impervious) add up.

I also use

Dawnbringer ***
Hellcat ***
Alchemist ***
Megavore ***

for some Delves, along essentially the same lines.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I'll have to give that first team a shot. It sounds fun, and I ran that Kraken looping team for forever.

I'm still digging that Wrath explosions team.

Wrath
Writhing staff Hero
TPK
Scylla

It goes sideways sometimes, but it's so fast it makes up for it. Giant nonstop exploding skull cascades are fun.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.
This guild wars I've noticed a defense team record. I suspect it's new, and mine are shocking. All told 0/26 and we're still on day 4. So, post teams that are defending well!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Enkor posted:

This guild wars I've noticed a defense team record. I suspect it's new, and mine are shocking. All told 0/26 and we're still on day 4. So, post teams that are defending well!

I shifted to using the teams in the OP, just subbing in troop substitutions for the mythics I don’t have. Ive managed to also lose all my defense attempts this time. And I’ve only gone 4/1 not 5/0, whereas I’ve always made some 5/0s before.

Aren’t we also ten tiers higher than before?

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Yes, we are a few ranks higher than last time, and it makes a big difference at the level we are at. And I would not expect any defense setup to get more than one or two wins a week. If you used the same, very effective defense team every day of the week, you might get a few more, but the unique troop bonus is more important.

Think about your own offense. Most losses are bad luck. Either a poorly timed devour or insta-kill, or a string of 4 matches for your opponent. The AI is just not good enough to seriously challenge you in a mirror match.

One of my wins on defense was with this team:

Anti-Purple
Grosh-Nak banner
Kerberos
Giant Spider
Sunbird
Forest Guardian

This team makes no sense. In 99 out of 100 matches, I would steamroll it without a second thought. But it went 1/4 this week, which means one poor sod had devour proc and never recovered. I am 2/29 this week, and the other win was with the standard issue dwarf team on the red day.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I want to play in guild wars :( Any possibility of a slot opening in Gem Boiz in the near future? I guess I could seek out a pubbie guild regardless.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Membership in Gem Boiz was originally based on doing Guild Wars every week. Since then we have had three new guild modes introduced, and Guild Wars is only every four weeks. For the last months, Boiz has had one member consistently show up for Guild Wars, but go absent most of the remaining three weeks. If there is agreement among the members of Gem Boiz that we want more regular activity, I can boot Russad if they go dormant again after this week’s Guild Wars. Of course, if anyone else goes dark without saying something here, their spot is Maugrim’s.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
The only defense team I have regular success with (as in, 1 or 2 wins) is a 4x Goblin team, because the AI can generally handle the strategy of stacking extra turns.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Arbetor posted:

Yes, we are a few ranks higher than last time, and it makes a big difference at the level we are at. And I would not expect any defense setup to get more than one or two wins a week. If you used the same, very effective defense team every day of the week, you might get a few more, but the unique troop bonus is more important.

Think about your own offense. Most losses are bad luck. Either a poorly timed devour or insta-kill, or a string of 4 matches for your opponent. The AI is just not good enough to seriously challenge you in a mirror match.

One of my wins on defense was with this team:

Anti-Purple
Grosh-Nak banner
Kerberos
Giant Spider
Sunbird
Forest Guardian

This team makes no sense. In 99 out of 100 matches, I would steamroll it without a second thought. But it went 1/4 this week, which means one poor sod had devour proc and never recovered. I am 2/29 this week, and the other win was with the standard issue dwarf team on the red day.

I was only attacked once with my Fenrir, Kerberos, Forest Guardian, Spirit Fox beast team but won. It loses a lot but usually grabs a few wins each week. In my attacks this week Spirit Fox beat me one match all on his own, sometimes he goes on a rampage casting over and over with the cascades he causes.

My Flammifier, Yao Guai, Titania, Tai-Pan went 5-2 this week which is the worst week it's had since I started using it. It's hard to beat even with a meta team so I imagine most people beating it in guild wars are starting with an insanely lucky board.

My Goblin team is usually 50/50 on wins and my Dragon team is usually around 30%, it used to be a lot higher but as the teams get better it falls behind.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Any way we can get some promotions for Gem Blossems? I’m pretty active every day and we didn’t have an officer register for Guild Wars this time around.

There was another person who asked about this, so maybe a few more folks could get upgraded or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Solkanar512 posted:

Any way we can get some promotions for Gem Blossems? I’m pretty active every day and we didn’t have an officer register for Guild Wars this time around.

There was another person who asked about this, so maybe a few more folks could get upgraded or something.

I think what happened was one person was consistently doing it and this time they just forgot, I had the ability to but every time I've tried it in the past I got some weird error message (from said person having already registered). I chose a bad week to not even try hitting the button this time :v:

I'll go ahead and promote everyone up from palace guard, they only thing the rank above that can do that palace guards can't is register for guild wars anyway.

Edit: Also Annoited, I think we need some inactives kicked to make room, there's been a few goons that have missed out since this thread started but only you have kick permissions.