Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
My main takeaway about the emotional spectrum stuff from the heyday of the 2000s was that Peter Tomasi kept doing the coolest poo poo with the concept, just nonstop bangers after bangers, and then I would look over at what Johns was doing in the main GL book and it was never anything particularly exciting.

I will hand it to Johns for making rage kitty, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One thing I hated in that era was I'd get attached to a Lantern and then they'd be killed off, often without ceremony. Some fun stuff, though. I still fondly recall Mongul's brawl with Arkillo.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

*bryan alvarez voice*

Ar-KILL-O?!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alaois posted:

*bryan alvarez voice*

Ar-KILL-O?!
I'm now thinking about Meltzer and Alvarez reviewing comics

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Calax posted:

Can John Stewart get paralyzed again?

Maybe bring Grayven back and have him do it?

Also, I wonder what happened to the guy Kyle just... gave green legs to back in the 90's. (GL Volume 3 #72 when he went to Fawcett City... before the Marvels moved to Philly).

His name was purgatory. He was going up some steps when he cut his hands, that caused the GL created legs Kyle made for him to vanish since he lost his concetration on keeping them. Neron was going around making deals at the time and offered him his legs and power in exchange for killing Kyle. He failed twice so Neron made him a minion in hell. Happy ending!

I always regretted what happened to Alexander Nero. Guy was crazy and given a yellow power ring, he was like Kyle an artist, only he drew....disturbing things. It made him a good opposite to Kyle. A real enemy. He kinda lacked some real threats. He even went to the JLA to ask for help to take him down and asked if any of them realized his ring could crack atoms and if he could do that, Nero could do that. Nero gets defeated, and imprsioned, Hal returns and Nero during a very lovely Ion Mini is made into a Kyle impersonator and is ultimately killed by the Alpha lanterns after. The whole thing was a train wreck. The mini was horrible and it felt like it did a correction mid way through due to having little to no direction. That and fan feedback was extremely negative.

It was also another lovely costume replacement for Kyle, the one with the black face mask. The one you see as a joke in that Supergirl gif meme from years ago.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I mean, Nero was built originally to be Kyle's Sinestro. With the Weponeers of Qward making the ring because they wanted to honor Sinestro, even in his failure.

IIRC he popped up during the first Ion story as a competitor for the powers of Ion.

For him to come back would probably require the writers to actually make Kyle important again, instead of the 5th string he's currently idle on.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Endless Mike posted:

I'm now thinking about Meltzer and Alvarez reviewing comics

I would pay good drat money for this.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Vandar posted:

I would pay good drat money for this.

Hal Jordan: Am I going over?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Calax posted:

I mean, Nero was built originally to be Kyle's Sinestro. With the Weponeers of Qward making the ring because they wanted to honor Sinestro, even in his failure.

IIRC he popped up during the first Ion story as a competitor for the powers of Ion.

For him to come back would probably require the writers to actually make Kyle important again, instead of the 5th string he's currently idle on.

You don't like Kyle crying in the corner in the latest GL book?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Last Call posted:

Didn't the Blue Lanterns get nuked except for Walker.

They got better I believe.

They just got nuked again along with all of the other corps though

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Xelkelvos posted:

They're all gone?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Last Call posted:

They're all gone?

The current storyline in GL is that the new management (they're currently being run by the United Planets) is going around blowing up all the other power batteries and that the new lanterns can somehow switch powers on the fly. It's currently still a mystery as to what exactly is going on.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Xelkelvos posted:

At one point there was an attempt to seek out new Blues but Dr. Manhattan was literally suppressing all hope in the universe.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Last Call posted:

They're all gone?

What TwoPair said but also a lot of the various names lantern users are in lock up in United Planets science cells so expect a scene where everyone busts out possibly with their rings

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Power Batteries get blown up at about the same rate as Cybertrucks they'll be fine

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Azubah posted:

You don't like Kyle crying in the corner in the latest GL book?

Current GL Tier List based on how DC portrays them:

Hal

John, Jo

Jessica, Guy, Alan

Kyle

No I didn't forget anyone. DC did

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Gotham City Sirens is back! And they're going head-to-head with Punchline! This should be amazing news for me, a huge fan of both the Sirens and Punchline!

https://www.polygon.com/24152237/dc-comics-gotham-city-sirens-2024

...oh Leah Williams is writing it.

drat the monkey's paw. :negative:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
It'll probably be remembered for the half naked cowboys. Called The Nasty Boys.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The Last Call posted:

It'll probably be remembered for the half naked cowboys. Called The Nasty Boys.

This is my own personal hell.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Vandar posted:

Gotham City Sirens is back! And they're going head-to-head with Punchline! This should be amazing news for me, a huge fan of both the Sirens and Punchline!

https://www.polygon.com/24152237/dc-comics-gotham-city-sirens-2024

...oh Leah Williams is writing it.

drat the monkey's paw. :negative:

interesting that this is a weekly miniseries - I can't recall DC doing one in years

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it'll be like X-Terminators in which case I am all the way in.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
What has Leah Williams written?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Power Girl, which is the main reason I'm not happy.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

thetoughestbean posted:

https://www.marvel.com/comics/creators/12972/leah_williams

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

thetoughestbean posted:

just gonna copy this straight from the discord too lazy for new material

she did a What If? Magik one shot where magik became sorceror supreme,X-Terminators obviously, she did the Mary Jane and Mysterio mini, the age of x-man mini X-Tremists where she rehabbed blob is probably where her popularity took off

e&c pointed out she also did the war of the realms Giant Man mini which was pretty well received

site fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 9, 2024

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Leah Williams is good. I like Power Girl, but like we discussed, it doesn't really feel like it's a Power Girl comic.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I still hold the Gwenpool mini against her for being yet another person to see "pool" in her name and think that meant Gwen had to be so random lol. But then again, that's basically everyone not named Chris Hastings.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Darth Nat posted:

I still hold the Gwenpool mini against her for being yet another person to see "pool" in her name and think that meant Gwen had to be so random lol. But then again, that's basically everyone not named Chris Hastings.

tbf it was directly stated that her actions in that miniseries were a combination of a manic episode and desperately attempting to stay relevant so she wouldn't be canceled.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Oh she did Trial of Magneto. I read through that and wasn’t super impressed—it felt like it thought it was smarter and more meaningful than it actually was.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Power Girl is fun and cool. Leah Williams hasn't written any bad books I've read imo

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I agree with the goon that Power Girl isn't bad, it's actually good! It just feels like it should be about Supergirl. Also Paige as a name for her feels like it will stick around even less than trying to call Kitty Pryde Kate.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

thetoughestbean posted:

Oh she did Trial of Magneto. I read through that and wasn’t super impressed—it felt like it thought it was smarter and more meaningful than it actually was.

The X-Factor run before it was good and certainly a more interesting read than a lot of X books at the time. Trial of Magneto is absolute dogshit trash though, no denying it. Definitely should have just stayed an X-Factor arc and not get blown out to be a mini crossover event that nobody liked or remembers.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

quote:

DC Comics' attempts to extend their trademark for Blue Beetle may have hit a snag with Volkswagen, the manufacturer of the VW Beetle car.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-comics-trademark-for-blue-beetle-challenged-by-volkswagen/

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Time for Blue Shazam to hit the scene!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The X-Factor run before it was good and certainly a more interesting read than a lot of X books at the time. Trial of Magneto is absolute dogshit trash though, no denying it. Definitely should have just stayed an X-Factor arc and not get blown out to be a mini crossover event that nobody liked or remembers.

Her stuff is normally so good I wonder if Trial wasn't editorial mandates.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
iirc she did an interview during or after trial came out saying that was the case

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I want to say she was also really unhappy with how X-Factor ended, and that some of the pages where not written by her or even shown to her before it hit the stands.

Anyway, if Sirens is half as fun as X-terminator's, it's worth a pull.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I read the free comic book day book setting up the new event where everybody gets depowered. They gotta kill Amanda Waller after all this, right? Like, she is insanely evil and destructive, they can't let her be around anymore, right?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
they are just gonna give her a stern talking to so she can start the next even in six months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Trial of Magneto was a five issue mini-series that to my knowledge didn't have any 'tie-in' books besides I guess having a plot point that spun out of the Hellfire Gala one-shot. I know the whole "what even is an event" is a thing I harp on a lot, but if Trial of Magneto was a "mini crossover event" then basically everything that is not entirely self-contained is a crossover mini-event. Not defending the editorial interference or the general not-greatness of the published comic, it could have easily just had "X-Factor #11-15: The Trial of Magneto" on the cover and been effectively the same book.