Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

adnam posted:

Becoming a middle-aged male myself I always wonder if people just get bored about how good they have it and a decade or two later wake up saying "yes this is the day I destroy everything I worked hard to achieve"

Boredom is absolutely a thing that kills careers, otherwise solid relationships, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It’s probably been a thing since forever, but broke brain rabbit holes are also easier and more targeted than ever thanks to social media. And one can silo themselves in an online echo chamber like never before. Fox News is awful but some of the stuff on social media is even worse.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

LanceHunter posted:

There are plenty of examples of men just kinda going crazy when they hit middle age long before anything like Fox News existed. It's likely that there is just some point that some people reach around that time (and possibly some cumulative CTE-style long-term brain damage from things like alcohol consumption) that pushes them over the edge. It just looks like Fox News poisoning today because the current media landscape is just especially good at funneling people going through that particular type of mental health crisis into certain political pipelines.

Some sort of crisis that hits you around the middle of your life. A midlife crisis, you might say?

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Splicer posted:

Lottery winner statistics say otherwise. E: I'm bad with page numbers

Lottery winner statistics have a huge selection bias problem.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Volmarias posted:

Some sort of crisis that hits you around the middle of your life. A midlife crisis, you might say?

Well we won't know for sure until they die, but most-likely-mid-life-crisis lacks punch.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

adnam posted:

Becoming a middle-aged male myself I always wonder if people just get bored about how good they have it and a decade or two later wake up saying "yes this is the day I destroy everything I worked hard to achieve"
I think I'll just a buy a boat

BAH GAWD THAT'S GRAHAM LINEHANS MUSIC

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
People who reach retirement or close to it have lots more free time than they used to and never really worked out what to do with themselves for more than an hour or two at a time between work and sleep.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Shifts in the consumption of psychoactives also play a role.

12Apr1961
Dec 7, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Shifts in the consumption of psychoactives also play a role.

How does this work? Is it like "drinking two cups of coffee instead of one", or more "I'm bored, let's take some LSD"?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

12Apr1961 posted:

How does this work? Is it like "drinking two cups of coffee instead of one", or more "I'm bored, let's take some LSD"?

The latter; market emergence and pressure on psychedelics, “nootropics” and ever higher dose THC products, including understudied synthetics are likely to cause a variety of fun mental illnesses. There’s now a lot of relatively potent psychoactive stuff sold in seemingly harmless formats, and FDA enforcement is increasingly hollowed out.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 24, 2024

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Discendo Vox posted:

The latter; market emergence and pressure on psychedelics, “nootropics” and ever higher dose THC products, including understudied synthetics are likely to cause a variety of fun mental illnesses. There’s now a lot of relatively potent psychoactive stuff sold in seemingly harmless formats, and FDA enforcement is increasingly hollowed out.

Lol what? I don't really buy that mid life crises in general are caused by people getting hosed up on RCs.

It's just the classic combination of finally becoming somewhat solvent + a réalisation that your lifespan is finite making people do stupid stuff.

Yes I have just got back from the Ducati garage, why do you ask?

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

He said "plays a role" not "is the sole determinant". It's probably a very small factor but I'm sure there are olds who it applies to

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
gotta lump it under mass organic brain damage. main source prolly leaded gas, so it'll prolly go down in a decade or two, not that this helps anybody right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah this is a, not the, causal factor in guys in vulnerable states going off the deep end at more or less all ages.