Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
DND combat is so snowball-y that being able to delete a foe with a huge alpha strike before anyone else gets a turn frequently ends up warping the balance of the entire encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Gloomstalkers are strong from their 3 and 11 first round abilities alone. As soon as you introduce any sort of darkness then you become a murder machine with Umbral Sight.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Scoss posted:

DND combat is so snowball-y that being able to delete a foe with a huge alpha strike before anyone else gets a turn frequently ends up warping the balance of the entire encounter.

Yeah agreed.

Gloomstalker 5 / Assassin 3 / Battlemaster 3 gives you the core of the build:

Attack + Extra Attack + Dread Ambush Attack + Action Surge Attack + Action Surge Extra Attack + Action Surge Dread Ambush Attack, with extra Sneak Attack and Ambush damage, and Assassinate providing Advantage on all attacks and an automatic crit on every hit. You can correct any misses with the Precision Attack Maneuver, and then Hide with your Cunning Bonus Action.

Then you can layer on feats, items, and spells of your choice.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wait so do Gloomstalkers get advantage on their attacks in their first round due to the unseen foe rules? Is that what I'm missing? I mean I know their invisible to dark vision in darkness. So anyone attacking them has disadvantage to attack them and they have advantage?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Hollismason posted:

Wait so do Gloomstalkers get advantage on their attacks in their first round due to the unseen foe rules? Is that what I'm missing? I mean I know their invisible to dark vision in darkness. So anyone attacking them has disadvantage to attack them and they have advantage?

Assassinate gives advantage against any creature that hasn't taken a turn yet

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Hollismason posted:

At level 3 your initiative is boosted and you get a bonus attack and damage in the first turn. If you're in darkness then you are invisible and therefore have advantage on anything without blindsight to your location. At level 11 you can reroll any one miss.

If you multiclass 3 levels of Rogue Assassin you also get advantage regardless so long as you act before your target in the opening round.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Assassinate gives advantage against any creature that hasn't taken a turn yet

Ah he's talking about multiclassing. Okay I was wondering.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Hollismason posted:

Ah he's talking about multiclassing. Okay I was wondering.

Yeah, basically it’s just a highly synergistic class. It does quite well on its own (particularly in darkness), but it shines when you bring in other elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
Yea, the gloomstalker ranger and shadow monk really shine in our underdark campaign.

Though the gloomstalker started leveling rogue and the monk fighter, because both classes kinda become boring at higher levels.