Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
AI comics is going to wind up giving us freaks with 4 fingers and a thumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Train AI on Greg Land and it'll merely put it in the original photos he used to trace instead.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/artbytesslyn/status/1789585280845922513

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao webtoon finds out new ways to suck what the hell.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

And people still use it to upload their comics...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I think anyone already on there is pretty much stuck or they lose their comic because of lovely contracts

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Synthbuttrange posted:

I think anyone already on there is pretty much stuck or they lose their comic because of lovely contracts

I meant that I saw artists (including some who already had big webcomics) joining them way after the previous big reveals.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Numero6 posted:

And people still use it to upload their comics...

I can sort of understand because it feels like signing up with Hiveworks or something probably feels like a much more risky proposition but please read your contracts, people. Or even better high somebody who reads contracts to read them.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Dawgstar posted:

I can sort of understand because it feels like signing up with Hiveworks or something probably feels like a much more risky proposition but please read your contracts, people. Or even better high somebody who reads contracts to read them.

hiveworks was absolutely nothing like this even tho they sucked dog rear end for other reasons. my comic was lucky to crack 1-2k ok updates and i got 100 bucks a month for it. which was, frankly, a severe overpayment considering how little i must have been making hiveworks in ad revenue and how little money ad rev makes. 40k (USA ONLY!) page views is a hysterically stupid amount for 100 dollars lol.

e: i also kept my IP the entire time. ppl signing anything with webtoons are stupid, greedy, and make comicking a worse place bc theyre stupid enough to think of themselves as the protagonists of reality

fun hater fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 13, 2024

fun hater
May 24, 2009

i have been bitching and moaning about webtoons for literal years. the numbers are obviously fake unless youre so high on your own supply, you actually think you have over 10000 readers or 54366464565564 page views on a comic. the commenters dont have profiles, so you cant even tell theyre real. the site requires you to upload your comic sliced into chunks as part of their pathetic antipiracy measures. and the payment system is putrid; having to pay per page is the kind of thing people joke about as a solution, not something considered seriously by anyone but total psychopaths.
you have to be a huge idiot, a vile and greedy individual, or a literal child to fall for a webtoons contract, sorry. its embarrassing what these ppl did to themselves for nothing

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Evan Dahm put Vattu on there and is currently also putting 3rd Voice (in addition to his own site). And a few dozen pages of Rice Boy.

Hope he didn't give up is IP to use them. He mentioned putting stuff on there to get more readers, grow his audience. Just how to do "discovery" in days like these.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Uthor posted:

Evan Dahm put Vattu on there and is currently also putting 3rd Voice (in addition to his own site). And a few dozen pages of Rice Boy.

Hope he didn't give up is IP to use them. He mentioned putting stuff on there to get more readers, grow his audience. Just how to do "discovery" in days like these.

sad to hear this line get trotted out bc its evident that there is no audience on webtoons worth catering to. if you want money, they dont have it bc theyre kids. if you want critique, they dont have it bc theyre mass consumers of art. and theres no way for a community to form in comments sections that barely has real ppl in it.

also how does it help discoverability if your audience is locked to an app lol. theyre not leaving the app!!!!

the way other creators treat this website is insane. i have felt loving insane trying to explain why the website is a pit and artists are just selling naver/webtoon their credibility so naver can make fat stacks off them with 0 return

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
A few Hiveworks artists are doing it too. I can't imagine they are getting many new viewers either in such a saturated site that only "spotlights" a handful of comics, often the same ones.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

isasphere posted:

A few Hiveworks artists are doing it too. I can't imagine they are getting many new viewers either in such a saturated site that only "spotlights" a handful of comics, often the same ones.

i left hiveworks bc they were largely stupid and greedy people, so this is unsurprising and explains why the boss was whining at me in DMs to lay off webtoons publicly lol

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

fun hater posted:

sad to hear this line get trotted out bc its evident that there is no audience on webtoons worth catering to. if you want money, they dont have it bc theyre kids. if you want critique, they dont have it bc theyre mass consumers of art. and theres no way for a community to form in comments sections that barely has real ppl in it.

also how does it help discoverability if your audience is locked to an app lol. theyre not leaving the app!!!!

the way other creators treat this website is insane. i have felt loving insane trying to explain why the website is a pit and artists are just selling naver/webtoon their credibility so naver can make fat stacks off them with 0 return

Just wanted to quote what he wrote.

Scroll down this page:
https://rice-boy.com/archive.news.php

September 17 2021 posted:

Also I’m trying out webtoon and tapas; Vattu is being serialized there with a few scenes a week basically just as an effort to get more eyes on the thing. I don’t fully understand these platforms but it is absolutely true that the internet has mostly moved away from the old-timey webcomics Personal Website Era. of course I will continue to have this clunky and outmoded website until the day I die, probably.

The only other times "webtoons" came up when I did a search on that page was linking to the site.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

fun hater posted:

It does explain why so many of the comics on there I follow are now "on hiatus" which does include Batman Wayne Family Adventures which I don't think has updated since December.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Uthor posted:

Just wanted to quote what he wrote.

Scroll down this page:
https://rice-boy.com/archive.news.php

The only other times "webtoons" came up when I did a search on that page was linking to the site.

i think it greatly benefits naver/webtoon for people to believe that the time of the 1.0 website is over and while dahm's note sounds resigned and unhappy abt the situation, im not sure why webcomics' collective solution was simply to look toward the overly evil corporation to save us from the fact that art is unprofitable.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
From the looks of it Evan Dahm's webtoons stuff is on canvas (i.e. stuff that the ToS considers "user posting" so you keep the rights to your stuff, but don't get as much money) as opposed to the "prestige" Originals stuff where all the contracts/"big money"/get screwed out of your rights stuff happens. Still not ideal in that it promotes webtoons as the place to upload your comic but at least he hasn't put himself in a position that's screwed himself over rights wise. I feel like with a lot of modern webcomics that aren't full into webtoon stuff you have creators uploading them onto a ton of different platforms (comicfury, tapas, social media sites) at once and just treat webtoon as one of those platforms.

On an opposite note, KC Green (who's been posting a lot of his smaller recent projects to Webtoon via canvas) has said he's gonna move away from using webtoon and has been revamping his site to host said projects.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Boy it sucks that webcomic creators can basically either go to webtoon (and not get paid), host their own website (and not make money from ad revenue vs hosting fees), or maybe get something published via Iron Circus (and not get paid)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

thetoughestbean posted:

Boy it sucks that webcomic creators can basically either go to webtoon (and not get paid), host their own website (and not make money from ad revenue vs hosting fees), or maybe get something published via Iron Circus (and not get paid)

I'm probably behind on any Iron Circus drama, but last I remember there was some Spike said / they said about payment/firing practices? Did something worse or more definitive come out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Space Fish posted:

I'm probably behind on any Iron Circus drama, but last I remember there was some Spike said / they said about payment/firing practices? Did something worse or more definitive come out?

Not recently, to my knowledge, but multiple artists have talked about not getting paid for books they’ve released/had reprinted from Iron Circus and Spike never addresses that and instead brushes it off as “internet drama” so I generally don’t view it as “he said, she said”