Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Beerdeer posted:

So Ultimate Black Panther is just regular Black Panther. Yawn.

Regular Black Panther is just Batman right now so it's fine

I gotta say from the light smattering of BP comics I've read, Wakandan politics are a lot more interesting in the context of how they relate to the rest of the world than just internal stuff. Not even grappling with what they would mean in the context of there being real-world countries reacting to them, you could have them only interacting diplomatically with Latveria, Atlantis, and Krakoa (RIP) and that'd be more interesting than people getting mad at T'Challa at his approval ratings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is there an option on Amazon for the red band blood hunt? I'm not seeing anything.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Blood Hunt #1 is a pretty good read, but it definitely needs something. I really hope the core Mackay book characters can keep the main mini as excellent as Doctor Strange and Moon Knight without harming the solo titles or the overall story too much.

Issue one isnt an awful setup but the level of push and tie in support it is getting seems even more absurd now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there an option on Amazon for the red band blood hunt? I'm not seeing anything.

I believe that's an exclusive for shops.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Synthbuttrange posted:

Had a dream last night that I got furious with Tony Stark because he started advertising Avengers stuff in-universe with ai generated images.

He probably would too.

'TONY did you pay Ultron for the ad artwork instead of real people?'
'Ssshhhhh Vision's right here, also Ultron would get it done cheaper!'

Is it okay if he uses the post cw2 Tony ai

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I didn't know the red band Blood Hunt was print only. Anyone got pictures of the differences?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It is? Too violent for us internet users I guess lol

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its impossible to put a digital comic in a brown paper bag so they're not allowed to sell them

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In Louisiana and Texas, they'd have to get copies of your ID and Amazon doesn't have time for that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Maybe this is the key to saving floppies and local comic shops. Every physical comic Marvel publishes comes with two extra pages of nudity and gore that aren’t included in the online or trade versions.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Endless Mike posted:

In Louisiana and Texas, they'd have to get copies of your ID and Amazon doesn't have time for that

I'm not sure what's in blood hunt but get fury is available online and that has a page where a guy gets part of his skull cut off with a machete

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

site posted:

I'm not sure what's in blood hunt but get fury is available online and that has a page where a guy gets part of his skull cut off with a machete

As an American, I am turgid with excitement to witness this

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

Wolverine has been extremely gnarly during the current storyline going on as well.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I bought the Blood Hunt Red Band but haven't seen the normal version.

I could maybe guess one of the added pages. It appears there are 8 total additional pages.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Codependent Poster posted:

I didn't know the red band Blood Hunt was print only. Anyone got pictures of the differences?

I've seen one on Twitter just now, which involves the last page.

In the normal version, Blade stabs Strange in the back. In the Red Band version, Blade cuts Strange in half at the waist.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Wanderer posted:

I've seen one on Twitter just now, which involves the last page.

In the normal version, Blade stabs Strange in the back. In the Red Band version, Blade cuts Strange in half at the waist.

Why would he do either of those things?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
he's the bad guy

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
If you skipped Blade's recent solo series, which just wrapped a couple of weeks ago, I think it's going to play into Blood Hunt. It's not a bad read.

tl;dr - Blade was tricked into releasing an ancient evil spirit, and in order to oppose her, went further into exploring his vampire powers than ever before.

What I suspect is going on is that Blade went full vampire and has either organized them into a crusade to install himself as king, or gassed them up to get them mowed down as a way to dismantle Dracula's vampire state.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

site posted:

This is the funniest part of the Red Band gimmick, honestly

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Blood Hunt kind of reminded me of Age of Khonshu mixed with any time the Avengers are up against a group of foes with powers matched up against their own abilities (e.g., Ashen Combine, Black Order). I guess the difference this time is that they'll need help from others to overcome the odds instead of doing it themselves. I'll follow along but I'm going in with low expectations, and the gimmick/tie-ins don't help.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I just hope Moon Knight comes back and sets this all right.

Also poor Dr. Strange can't catch a break under Vulpes. Seems dumb to do that right in front of Clea though. She's the scarier of the two.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

I just hope Moon Knight comes back and sets this all right.

That’s the feeling I had reading it, that somehow it would involve Konshu getting free so Marc can come back

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
lol at the gimmick of selling the red band Blood Hunt in a sealed bag the same week Get Fury comes out.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So been thinking too much about Spiderman TAS and going down a rabbit hole of different Spiderman adaptations which just leaves me with questions about the original comics I never read.

Are the Symbiotes evil? I hear there was a recent retcon where the human host made them evil, but that strikes me as weird since all iteration of Black Suit Spiderman I've seen tells the basic story of how Peter Parker, the nicest guy on Earth, starts to lose his goddamn mind when he puts on the Symbiote.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

NikkolasKing posted:

So been thinking too much about Spiderman TAS and going down a rabbit hole of different Spiderman adaptations which just leaves me with questions about the original comics I never read.

Are the Symbiotes evil? I hear there was a recent retcon where the human host made them evil, but that strikes me as weird since all iteration of Black Suit Spiderman I've seen tells the basic story of how Peter Parker, the nicest guy on Earth, starts to lose his goddamn mind when he puts on the Symbiote.

The '90s animated series was the first time the symbiote saga was told as Peter being behaviorally changed by it. In the original comics there were glimpses of it being alive and the reader knows it eventually starts taking him out on patrol while he's asleep but Peter only wanted it gone after his suspicions took him to Reed, who confirmed he was host to a symbiote. It wasn't making him evil or super macho or selfish or whatever.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah in the original story the symbiote was puppeting his body to crime fight while he was asleep, which was exhausting him. After getting it checked by Reed he learned it was starting to permanently bond to him, and Peter was not ok with having a strange alien merge with his body and start feeding off it, no mater what the benefits were. After the separation the Symbiote was locked up by Reed for a while, where it developed a grudge. It eventually escaped and hid in Peter's apartment to bond with him, were while fighting his own body he eventually got to the church and used the bells to separate from it. The Symbiote actually dragged Peter to safety because his damaged body at the time was at risk of dying from such close proximity to the bells before vanishing.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like the stories where Peter and the symbiote make up and bond together. The symbiote isn't evil!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I liked the one venom story where they hosed

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

I like the stories where Peter and the symbiote make up and bond together. The symbiote isn't evil!

It wasn't evil before. But in the most recent Venom book (the few issues I read before I got tired of Knull-adjacent cosmic shenannigans) it was a pretty big rear end in a top hat

The symbiote cat seems like a decent sort, though

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

site posted:

Is it okay if he uses the post cw2 Tony ai

He'll cause another ai uprising because he refuses to pay aiTony for work.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I always got the feeling that Tony avoids true AI because he saw what happened with Hank and Ultron and was like "Well, I'm not a screwup like that guy"

Excluding that one time in Quesada's run where he created a AI for the suit that went Single White Female on him.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Not a big iron man reader but I definitely remember 'suit is going rogue and tony is not inside/incapacitated' being a plot point at least twice. And once was its own miniseries. Wonder if anyone's kept count.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

The '90s animated series was the first time the symbiote saga was told as Peter being behaviorally changed by it. In the original comics there were glimpses of it being alive and the reader knows it eventually starts taking him out on patrol while he's asleep but Peter only wanted it gone after his suspicions took him to Reed, who confirmed he was host to a symbiote. It wasn't making him evil or super macho or selfish or whatever.

Not sure about that. It's the symbiote who drives Peter to beat the absolute piss out of Firelord who, man, just came to Earth looking for some 'za.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dawgstar posted:

Not sure about that. It's the symbiote who drives Peter to beat the absolute piss out of Firelord who, man, just came to Earth looking for some 'za.

He was wearing a black costume but that wasn't the symbiote. The symbiote had been removed by then (twice!) and Peter was sporting a simple fabric version of the black costume that Felicia gave him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

He was wearing a black costume but that wasn't the symbiote. The symbiote had been removed by then (twice!) and Peter was sporting a simple fabric version of the black costume that Felicia gave him.

When goth gf wants a goth bf...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

Fair enough! I must have figured that's why Spidey was able to beat somebody with the Power Cosmic.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Not a big iron man reader but I definitely remember 'suit is going rogue and tony is not inside/incapacitated' being a plot point at least twice. And once was its own miniseries. Wonder if anyone's kept count.

stark doesn't really have a consistent belief on the subject. that is, when it comes up at all it varies widely based on the era and author. recently, he's been mostly pro-ai, in that he has friends who are ai and can understand that they are sapient. but well, iron man has also fought A LOT of evil robots over the years.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gaz-L posted:

When goth gf wants a goth bf...

It wasn't too long after we find out she's not much attracted to Peter so she really could have suggested some black make-up as well.

Dawgstar posted:

Fair enough! I must have figured that's why Spidey was able to beat somebody with the Power Cosmic.

I don't know if DeFalco ever explained why he did that story because yeah, it is a wild power disparity. Maybe he wanted his own version of the battle Spider-Man had against Juggernaut that his predecessor did, which is a stone cold classic. Really fun and enjoyable story, though.

Also, a sick as hell cover for the first issue of the story. Ron Frenz is such a hugely underrated Spider-Man artist.

edit: wtf, why is it only half the image. How did that happen
edit2: ok, that's better

Lobok fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 2, 2024

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Milotic posted:

I read both Black Panthers, and honestly the Ultimate universe isn’t really blowing me away with its novelty. I read USM 1 and whilst it was novel, I thought Parker came across as self-absorbed. Core concepts in the wider setting we’ve seen before.

He does, but like, it's the very first issue, and that's his starting point to grow from. I already like where it's gone, 4 issues in. The most recent issue was well written. My only real complaint is that there's very little Spider-Man so far, but I suppose it's early days. The art and colouring in USM is also really stellar, and worth the price of admission imo.

I agree with you on Black Panther. I don't think it helps that the tone is so heavy handed and self-serious throughout - like there's a constant air of faux prestige to the writing that I find a bit suffocating.

Ultimate X-Men is beautiful so far, but still feels right at the beginning. It kind of reminds me of those small press indie comics that cost way too much, but have beautiful artwork and very little dialogue, and just feel like nice art objects to own. Only, it's a take on one of the biggest titles in comic books. There are a few things starting to peek through there narratively that could turn out to be really interesting. I hope the 'orign story' side to all this doesn't get dragged out for too long and it feels like things are up and running sooner rather than later though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The biggest failing of USM right now is the action, yeah. I know everything's written as six issues so I'm hoping for a slam-bang finish to this first arc but so far the "Spider-Man" aspect has not been super impressive.