Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

I think you have it correct for it being there primarily so you can read it and not worry about it going away before you're done.

I think this is what Steve said they were for when they first added them. I can't find which video he says it in, but this is the first video in which they appear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5nNjujMB0E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Imagine thinking there's too much data in a performance review/comparison video and that instead of informational charts you'd rather just see another 10 seconds of Steve's talking head instead.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

biznatchio posted:

Imagine thinking there's too much data in a performance review/comparison video and that instead of informational charts you'd rather just see another 10 seconds of Steve's talking head instead.

it could just be a website (which it is, so everybody wins)

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Nobody is forcing anybody to watch it. The videos help pay the bills and I'd rather Steve were genuine to himself and provide true and accurate information rather than the bullshit that Linus and others do for clicks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I will always respect a creator who does what they want more than a creator who does what the algorithm demands of them.

I think Steve could get more views by doing meme thumbnails, crossovers with garbage people like Mr. beast, and stunt bullshit (let’s run this cooling loop on Target brand marinara sauce!!!!!!!!!!!! [Sponsored Content]) but I’m glad he doesn’t even if it hurts him a bit.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Frankly I kind of like his talking head bits. If i just want to roll around in chart gore the website is good for that and at the end of the day all I really care about is a run-down of whatever the latest video card du jour is.

On the rare occasion that I'm actively shopping and need to see where, exactly, the NVidia ASROCK PGA PRO EXTREME 4200 vs the AMD EVGA TURBO PROP 6969 ANIME EDITION then I'll start flipping through charts, but for the other 99.99% of my life I'm mostly just looking for someone to tell me what's new and if I should care.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Frankly I kind of like his talking head bits. If i just want to roll around in chart gore the website is good for that and at the end of the day all I really care about is a run-down of whatever the latest video card du jour is.

On the rare occasion that I'm actively shopping and need to see where, exactly, the NVidia ASROCK PGA PRO EXTREME 4200 vs the AMD EVGA TURBO PROP 6969 ANIME EDITION then I'll start flipping through charts, but for the other 99.99% of my life I'm mostly just looking for someone to tell me what's new and if I should care.

That's how I watch GN too, when I do. Talking head bits for an explanation, skim/skip the charts, but when I was shopping for a GPU, I was going through it all to hear what he had to say about the results.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

No.. every single youtube tech channel should be the same homogenous algorithm chasing stew, all just churning out the same content, style and video length

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
GN would definitely benefit if they hired actual writers and editors to help shepherd Steve a bit, but the reality is that nobody reads websites anymore (even good ones like GNs) so video is what you gotta do. The kind of schedule pressure they’re under is insane; how they manage to keep up their level of output at its quality level is impressive.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Steve is probably the only tech Youtuber who does old fashioned TV news-style knock on the door to demand answers journalism

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

kefkafloyd posted:

GN would definitely benefit if they hired actual writers and editors to help shepherd Steve a bit, but the reality is that nobody reads websites anymore (even good ones like GNs) so video is what you gotta do. The kind of schedule pressure they’re under is insane; how they manage to keep up their level of output at its quality level is impressive.

Frankly I'm more impressed that they're doing the opposite:

Taking the time to turn Steve's video scripts into website articles that I'm sure have gently caress all traffic but that he wants to do as a passion project.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I hope GN never devolves into algorithm chasing clickbait sponsored content slop. When I click on a GN video I know exactly what I'm getting myself into and it's why I'm there.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The other thing I like is that when they do industry drama videos it tends to be because of something that's legit hosed up and involves someone in a position of power (big youtuber, industry people, someone's boss) taking a direct poo poo on people who aren't in a position to effectively respond.

Their hearts are pretty clearly in the right place when it comes to things like not treating your employees like poo poo, and while they can get a little self-congratulatory at times man it's nice to have criticism of a youtuber be more "oh they pat themselves on the back too much for helping people getting hosed by their scumbag boss" rather than "they are actively creating hostile work environments, protecting sex pests, or otherwise being terrible people."

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Basically I think that the 2nd EK video was pretty unnecessary -- hiring lawyers & drone operators and going Pamana Papers Junior Nerd Edition is just like, extremely over the top for what is really not some unprecedented situation. "Small international company with financial problems stops paying people and plays sketchy and unethical games with money" is very dog bites man news.

A better writer could have made a better version of that video, but only to a point. It just just doesn't have enough oomph for a great story.

But the problem for GN is they don't know before they investigate, and they don't have the budget to do half the work and then not make a video. So they have to punch it up the drama and do a lot of filler over-explaining and repetition.

So I think we just have to accept some dud stories as the price for GN doing investigative journalism, which I do want them to do.

(Alternate possibility: all that drama was because Tech Jesus is a bit unworldly and naive, and he really did think he was doing the Panama Papers of tech.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FuturePastNow posted:

Steve is probably the only tech Youtuber who does old fashioned TV news-style knock on the door to demand answers journalism

there aren't that many non-youtubers in journalism willing to do that, either

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Frankly I'm more impressed that they're doing the opposite:

Taking the time to turn Steve's video scripts into website articles that I'm sure have gently caress all traffic but that he wants to do as a passion project.

I'm glad they're taking the time to do that though because websites and articles are helpful as gently caress if i web search a question and need a quick answer without scanning a video.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Korean Boomhauer posted:

I'm glad they're taking the time to do that though because websites and articles are helpful as gently caress if i web search a question and need a quick answer without scanning a video.

Oh yeah, and the fact that they've got older stuff makes it even more useful. You can stitch together their graphs ot get a basic idea of how old hardware compares to new hardware. For example, they haven't benchmarked the 1070 in forever, but if you know what a 1070 vs a 2080 looked like, and know what a 2080 vs a 3070 looked like, and know what a 3070 vs a 4080 looks like, you can start to get at least a ballpark feel for how much of an improvement you'd see moving from a 1070 to a 4080.

It's not perfect and hardware nerds will wrinkle their noses because of shifting test rigs etc., but from a purely consumer standpoint where you don't care if things are fudged a few percent and are just looking for the broad strokes it's invaluable.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh yeah, and the fact that they've got older stuff makes it even more useful. You can stitch together their graphs ot get a basic idea of how old hardware compares to new hardware. For example, they haven't benchmarked the 1070 in forever, but if you know what a 1070 vs a 2080 looked like, and know what a 2080 vs a 3070 looked like, and know what a 3070 vs a 4080 looks like, you can start to get at least a ballpark feel for how much of an improvement you'd see moving from a 1070 to a 4080.

It's not perfect and hardware nerds will wrinkle their noses because of shifting test rigs etc., but from a purely consumer standpoint where you don't care if things are fudged a few percent and are just looking for the broad strokes it's invaluable.

this is why LMG was right when they started redoing all their tests every time on all the various cards, cpus, etc.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Arivia posted:

this is why LMG was right when they started redoing all their tests every time on all the various cards, cpus, etc.

shame they couldn't manage to take all that "new data every time" and put it into their charts without introducing huge errors

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Branch Nvidian posted:

shame they couldn't manage to take all that "new data every time" and put it into their charts without introducing huge errors

Or without just being poo poo to their employees or deciding that some products just didn't deserve to be bought regardless

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Branch Nvidian posted:

I hope GN never devolves into algorithm chasing clickbait sponsored content slop. When I click on a GN video I know exactly what I'm getting myself into and it's why I'm there.

I want them to do an April Fool's video like that. Thumbnail of Steve doing the mouth open eyes bulging look, sponsored by some junk, and the rest of the video is an actual GN video of whatever the clickbait title is.

"Is NVidia DYING?" and it's analysis of their Q1 financial report with the conclusion "no"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Serperoth posted:

I want them to do an April Fool's video like that. Thumbnail of Steve doing the mouth open eyes bulging look, sponsored by some junk, and the rest of the video is an actual GN video of whatever the clickbait title is.

"Is NVidia DYING?" and it's analysis of their Q1 financial report with the conclusion "no"

thumbnail has an arrow pointing to a stock chart

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think Steve’s professional courtesy would stop him doing such an outright parody of Hardware Unboxed.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

No.. every single youtube tech channel should be the same homogenous algorithm chasing stew, all just churning out the same content, style and video length
Content needs to be a completely homogeneous paste designed to appeal to algorithms that consumers can be force-fed in between algorithmically selected ads, because the computer knows best.

kefkafloyd posted:

Let's not lose sight of the fact that it's based on a lie - Facebook started pushing videos hard because it'd mean keeping people on their site for longer, thereby exposing them to more ads that Facebook could sell.
However, they forgot to mention that CPM rates weren't anything like what they were saying, and instead artificially inflated numbers for the express purpose of enticing people away from other platforms thereby killing them.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Let's not lose sight of the fact that it's based on a lie - Facebook started pushing videos hard because it'd mean keeping people on their site for longer, thereby exposing them to more ads that Facebook could sell.
However, they forgot to mention that CPM rates weren't anything like what they were saying, and instead artificially inflated numbers for the express purpose of enticing people away from other platforms thereby killing them.

Yes, what Facebook said in 2014 was absolutely a lie and ruined a ton of good sites. What makes it worse is that in 2024 Google is complete poo poo so it’s harder than ever for written websites. Especially because so much of the audience for tech content is on YouTube.

I was mostly praising them for their success in the face of the insane overhead video imposes on people and how successful they are in the face of current tech media challenges.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’ve always been a little hazy on why exactly Facebook saying a thing about ad performance on their own website had the entire planet following along without the slightest doubt or intent to verify that fact in their minds.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’ve always been a little hazy on why exactly Facebook saying a thing about ad performance on their own website had the entire planet following along without the slightest doubt or intent to verify that fact in their minds.

2014 facebook had a lot of advertising clout. if they said a thing, it had to be true, because an ad giant said so.

and advertisers are idiots.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also decision making executives never consider the possibility that a fellow executive is trying to gently caress them over.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

njsykora posted:

Also decision making executives never consider the possibility that a fellow executive is trying to gently caress them over.

When they do they think that the smart one getting a fast one over on this rube

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Shugojin posted:

When they do they think that the smart one getting a fast one over on this rube

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://www.youtube.com/live/hZL_qri7x5w?si=FDVAjvguVw0vlTEw

only posting this for the title

if it changes: I am not buying a super computer

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 4, 2024

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

trilobite terror posted:

https://www.youtube.com/live/hZL_qri7x5w?si=FDVAjvguVw0vlTEw

only posting this for the title

if it changes: I am not buying a super computer

please warn when posting LMG videos some of us do not want that poo poo infecting our youtube algorithm thanks

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

BobHoward posted:

please warn when posting LMG videos some of us do not want that poo poo infecting our youtube algorithm thanks

Agreed, but you can also go into your watch history and delete individual videos.

Very useful when some goon has tricked you into opening a virulent video. :crobear:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Xakura posted:

Agreed, but you can also go into your watch history and delete individual videos.

Very useful when some goon has tricked you into opening a virulent video. :crobear:

Even without goon links i find myself using that function all too often for fear of contamination. :D

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

My default behaviour is opening stuff in private browsing. If I want something to count, or add it to watch later, open it logged in. Keeps my algorithm tolerable

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
I know all this, just saying that it's nice to tag what you're linking. I do not wish to have to spend even a millisecond on closing the window when it's a LMG video, just make it possible for me to glance at your link and move on. Common courtesy.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

BobHoward posted:

I know all this, just saying that it's nice to tag what you're linking. I do not wish to have to spend even a millisecond on closing the window when it's a LMG video, just make it possible for me to glance at your link and move on. Common courtesy.

I think it's also a thing that many people have embeds enabled, so they see the video without clicking it, not considering that it isn't like that for everyone.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Xakura posted:

I think it's also a thing that many people have embeds enabled, so they see the video without clicking it, not considering that it isn't like that for everyone.

TBH the embedding function seemed to break for me last night when I posted it. Not sure if it was the structure of that particular link or what, but I tried uploading it multiple times using the Video link and they wouldn’t work, I had to use the URL link.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

BobHoward posted:

Ya just be considerate and in-line your videos so ppl know what they're clicking on, drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Serperoth posted:

My default behaviour is opening stuff in private browsing. If I want something to count, or add it to watch later, open it logged in. Keeps my algorithm tolerable

Speaking of managing your Youtube video history for algorithm purposes:

I have youtube premium, but when I look in my account, I have a few different Sub-Users...one for my alias, one for my real email, and some other random one based off my user name. They're basically just different display names under the same premium-enabled account.

My question is: can I do what op is doing, but instead of incognito, can I have Safari and Chrome on my taskbar, and use different sub accounts to curate two video histories?

The problem is, I can't use the incognito thing because I need the system to recognize I have Premium. But before I put effort into making this dual ecosystem I wanted to make sure this was possible and most importantly, that my watch history will be completely separate (and therefore the algorithm generated separately) if I use two sub accounts under the same overall Youtube Premium google account. Or, if Youtube will recognize that these are sub accounts under the same main account and use a combination of BOTH video histories to generate an overall algorithm?

gently caress I hope this makes sense sorry lol in effect it's just:

Open Safari and Youtube = sub account with a throw away video history for stuff I don't want tainting my poo poo
Open Chrome and Youtube= my main sub account where I am ok/want videos to affect my algorithm

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 4, 2024