Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

mellonbread posted:

I tried reading Necroscope, but got bored when they did a multi-chapter deep dive into the chosen one child protagonist doing his middle school math homework.

:mad: It's important when he meets Pythagoras and August Ferdinand Mobius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I'm a fan of the World of Darkness RPG and one of the more interesting clans in it called the Tzimisce is supposed to be based off the monsters in the Necroscope books. I was thinking of trying them out. Far as I can tell, they're all available on Audible, which is very cool.

Just curious what folks here think of them?

The only Horror Lit I've read is Stephen King, who I mostly read for the story and characters, not really to be scared or for grossness.

Also my searching for just random posts on the author of Necroscope led me to this audiobook:
The Greatest Horror Stories of the 20th Century It has "The Viaduct" by the author as well as other stories read by various actors which is cool. Might introduce me to other writers to look into.

quote:

This collection of classic horror tales is as remarkable for its literary value as for its scream factor. You'll hear stories by the masters of the genre, past and present, including "The Graveyard Rats" by Henry Kuttner, "Passengers" by Robert Silverberg, "Calling Card" by Ramsey Campbell, "Something Had to be Done" by David Drake, "The Viaduct" by Brian Lumley, "Smoke Ghost" by Fritz Leiber, "Coin of the Realm" by Charles L. Grant, "Sticks" by Karl Edward Wagner, and "Casting the Runes" by M.R. James.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
While I haven’t read Necroscope itself, I can tell you that if the Tzimisce are your jam, horror lit has you covered. Flesh-shaping horror-transhumanism is a whole thing, and body horror in particular is a deep well. It’s not super my thing (I’m more of a haunted houses and cosmic horror kind of guy) so other posters here will be better able to help you, but definitely stick around and get some recommendations!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Kestral posted:

Flesh-shaping horror-transhumanism is a whole thing, and body horror in particular is a deep well.

I will always take any recs anyone has in this vein

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

NikkolasKing posted:

So I'm a fan of the World of Darkness RPG and one of the more interesting clans in it called the Tzimisce is supposed to be based off the monsters in the Necroscope books. I was thinking of trying them out. Far as I can tell, they're all available on Audible, which is very cool.

The only Horror Lit I've read is Stephen King, who I mostly read for the story and characters, not really to be scared or for grossness.

Also my searching for just random posts on the author of Necroscope led me to this audiobook:
The Greatest Horror Stories of the 20th Century It has "The Viaduct" by the author as well as other stories read by various actors which is cool. Might introduce me to other writers to look into.

I wanna say one of these involves a genuine out-loud "holy poo poo"-tier twist, if I'm remembering the title to the actual story. Prob try to go back thru and find out if I can and see if I can track if it's the one I'm thinking of

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

UwUnabomber posted:

:mad: It's important when he meets Pythagoras and August Ferdinand Mobius.

It's also the first sign of Harry's powers and the reason Sir Keenan Gormley finds out about him in the first place. The point is that Harry isn't doing his homework; his maths teacher's father - who died 30 years previous - is doing it for him.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I really enjoyed All The Fiends Of Hell, mainly because you're no wiser to the nature of the invasion at the end of the book than you were at the beginning. Never explain horror to me.

Also the modus operandi of the aliens/demons/things is much creepier than eviscerating them, or devouring them, or dissolving them into goop. They really really need to kill all humans, but apparently just to turn them into ornaments?? Baffling. I love it!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Just for a change of pace, I am one of the people who loved The Only Good Indians but found My Heart Is A Chainsaw to be a bloated mess. I wanted to DNF it but I forced myself to finish and was still disappointed. Definitely not reading the sequels.

I have been listening to The Wishing Pool by Tananarive Due. Pretty solid so far, I love her writing. Then I got the Jordan Peele edited Out There Screaming anthology up next.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kestral posted:

While I haven’t read Necroscope itself, I can tell you that if the Tzimisce are your jam, horror lit has you covered. Flesh-shaping horror-transhumanism is a whole thing, and body horror in particular is a deep well. It’s not super my thing (I’m more of a haunted houses and cosmic horror kind of guy) so other posters here will be better able to help you, but definitely stick around and get some recommendations!

Yeah that is kinda my deal. I love RPGs which let you play as what would be, in most stories, the bad guy. Maybe you even still are the bad guy, but the whole point is to get in the bad guy's head and understand their hosed up psychology. Whether it's the Tzimisce in WoD or Zon-Kuthon and his like in Pathfinder, that is my jam.

(I already read Hellbound Heart years ago, by the by lol)

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah that is kinda my deal. I love RPGs which let you play as what would be, in most stories, the bad guy. Maybe you even still are the bad guy, but the whole point is to get in the bad guy's head and understand their hosed up psychology. Whether it's the Tzimisce in WoD or Zon-Kuthon and his like in Pathfinder, that is my jam.

(I already read Hellbound Heart years ago, by the by lol)

While I’ll still need to let others do the heavy lifting on recommendations here, your mention of wanting to get in the villain’s head plus body horror makes me ask: do you have any tolerance for sci-fi in your horror? Because if so, Peter Watts did a story called The Things that is John Carpenter’s The Thing from the perspective of the alien, and it’s great.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Necroscope vampires aren't really doing that much flesh-sculpting but they're pretty gross in other ways. I'd say read the first one and see if it grabs you. They get progressively weirder in a silly (imo) way. I take it you already read any WoD tie-in novels?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ravenkult posted:

Necroscope vampires aren't really doing that much flesh-sculpting but they're pretty gross in other ways.

I'm guessing you didn't get past the first book, then.

I'm definitely with you on the "gross in other ways" part, though. Lumley took a look at the romanticised Anne Rice vampire bollocks and said "Hell no, vampires are literally leeches, they're absolutely revolting" and ran with it past any sane limit.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I never finished the last Necroscope book I posted about in here because it's gross as gently caress. I will some day but not right now. There's a lot of flesh sculpting.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Jedit posted:

I'm guessing you didn't get past the first book, then.

I'm definitely with you on the "gross in other ways" part, though. Lumley took a look at the romanticised Anne Rice vampire bollocks and said "Hell no, vampires are literally leeches, they're absolutely revolting" and ran with it past any sane limit.

I stopped at the third one I think.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kestral posted:

While I’ll still need to let others do the heavy lifting on recommendations here, your mention of wanting to get in the villain’s head plus body horror makes me ask: do you have any tolerance for sci-fi in your horror? Because if so, Peter Watts did a story called The Things that is John Carpenter’s The Thing from the perspective of the alien, and it’s great.

I love Dead Space so sci-horror is just fine in my book. I'll definitely check that out.

ravenkult posted:

Necroscope vampires aren't really doing that much flesh-sculpting but they're pretty gross in other ways. I'd say read the first one and see if it grabs you. They get progressively weirder in a silly (imo) way. I take it you already read any WoD tie-in novels?

I haven't, actually. I prefer audiobooks (due to a visual impairment) and I don't think there are any of those, even fan ones. I will use TTS if need be but it doesn't work so well for fiction, you know?

But I honestly didn't even think about the novels. That's a good idea.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ravenkult posted:

I stopped at the third one I think.

Then you already saw a hell of a lot. Like, in book 3 siphoneers are still living people turned into water pipes.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
With Necroscope, I didn't mind the body horror half as much as the constant feeling Lumley was typing it with one hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

It was the necropedophilia for me.