Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Honestly I don't see myself using anything but Excavator PA. The extra carry weight is immensely helpful (200 extra pounds with leg mods) and it has enough DR to get you to the point of diminishing returns. The best thing you can do is get other forms of damage resistance through effects like Overeaters, and it was real easy to get on Excavators. I managed to piece together a full set just player vendor hopping and I don't think I paid more than 1k caps for any single piece.

I started running a bloodied build on it and I don't have any issues with survivability. The mirelurk queen can definitely be a PITA though, I found out her poison attacks/effects can be completely invisible which means you always have to be moving. I was wondering why I'd start randomly dying against her until the wiki informed me she'll leave clouds on the ground with her spit attack that won't render properly. Love the jank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Books On Tape posted:

Not sure what just happened.

My camp is right next door to the Wayward. I was happily riding my Pepperoller semi afk when I heard some commotion. There were 2-3 death claws on my porch attacking me and my house. Did someone kite them over trying to kill me and my house out of jealousy of my amazing camp? Where are there death claws near the wayward?

Anyway I just server hopped. Problem solved.

Sometimes mobs just spawn and attack your camp. I've been playing a few weeks again and yesterday was the first time I've been attacked at camp by something that doesn't just spawn there already. Never seen deathclaws but definitely had a shitload of super mutants in years past.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 24, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mothmen keep attacking my camps and I didn’t do nothin to them

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I haven't played since 2021, so I'm not even sure what I should be working if I return (other than the eternal slow bullion grind). I guess flamethrowers or automatic melee? I was a Heavy Weapons (Final Word) PA-user before, so I guess I should grind cores to make my PA legendary while keeping an eye out for Beast of Burden?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
if they don’t up the droprate on this loving pepper shaker i’m gonna beat someone to death

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Someone asked me if I had a plan for one and I didn’t but we talked for a second and I told them I was heading to radiation rumble but had no fuel

They gave me 4000 fuel 😭

It was so sweet

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

The Lone Badger posted:

I haven't played since 2021, so I'm not even sure what I should be working if I return (other than the eternal slow bullion grind). I guess flamethrowers or automatic melee? I was a Heavy Weapons (Final Word) PA-user before, so I guess I should grind cores to make my PA legendary while keeping an eye out for Beast of Burden?

you don't particularly need to grind for anything, you can get a chainsaw and there are a great many super strong build/legendary mod combos that will feel great if you're into melee. same goes for flamers, they've always been very good and now ammo just falls out of the sky so you probably won't ever have to craft ammo again. go to the Whitespring Refuge (now a free fast travel point) and do the short questline Responders Reborn to unlock Expeditions and do some expeditions, they are immensely lucrative and pretty fun :)

they are also another currency grind (stamps) but they're pretty fun anyway

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Anybody want a free Enclave plasma gun with a couple of mods on it (Stabilized Flamer Barrel, Stabilized Stock)
not that these are optimal mods, and only the basic receiver sadly, but any Flamer barrel is kind of a big deal/very rare if you're into plasma flamers

somebody should have taken me up on this, it turns out the barrel is the rare thing to get, the (somewhat debatably) best capacitor is the Prime Plasma Gun capacitor, the plans for which drop from the Scorchbeast Queen and are not that unreasonable to get compared to finding loose mods for the barrel. Cya shitlords

yes those are trash legendary mods, that's fixable
e: if you want one of these, your best option by far is to just do the Dropped Connection event, checked the Watoga vendors well over a hundred times and never found a loose mod for this gun except for a couple of night vision scopes. I've gotten multiple Enclave Plasma Guns with barrel mods and reflex sights from about 8-10 runs of Dropped Connection (they generally come with rifle stocks, I modded them to the basic pistol grip)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 24, 2024

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

radaway and decontamination arches will remove mutations in the process of removing rads (and rad-x will suppress their effects) BUT! if you never use either of those two methods to remove rads, you can get away without running Starched Genes, although the low level of rad regen on armor is probably going to annoy you. You can take the epic perk What Rads? and it provides enough regen to cover any casual amount of rads (you can't stand unprotected in a nuke zone but it very easily clears off stuff like "oops I stepped in radpoopie")

I guess if you stacked enough rad regen armor effects it would be fine, it'd be a pain collecting that poo poo but once you have it you don't have to worry about it any more.

Hellcat armor has extra physical damage reduction, it doesn't help especially more vs other types of damage (energy, burn, poison, rad)

I'd say the other half of starched genes is arguably more important since it prevents you from catching random mutations you don't want when you get irradiated. You can't pick and choose which mutations you cure, so trying to clear one means playing the radaway lottery.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
I've managed to acquire or craft some quad guns to play around with and...the results are mixed? I made a Quad/Rapid/250 DR while reloading railway rifle and the larger ammo capacity is very convenient, especially as an automatic, but it still feels like I'm dumping a whole magazine into anything even moderately tanky, and fighting mirelurk queens and behemoths is a slog. At least the ammo is cheap.

I also came into a quad/Hitman's/rapid reload plasma gun (just a regular one, not an enclave one), and this feels like it could be something. 2 out of 3 legendary effects are trash, but it still feels like it hits harder as an automatic rifle than the railway rifle did. Are regular plasma guns any good as a flamer, or is that just the enclave one?

Amusingly, the best time I've had with a quad gun is with the quad/last shot/reduced weight cryolator I found in someone's vending machine for 1000 caps. I threw a crystalizing barrel on it and took it to Scorched Earth and I honestly had a blast. I don't know how much damage I was doing, but I froze everyone and everything that spawned, and looked cool doing it. So I guess that's a win?

While not a quad gun, I threw some legendary modules at a Tenderizer and got Executioner/Faster Swing Speed/Reduced AP Cost, and with Hack and Slash and some VATS perks this thing is pretty fun as a comedy melee option! I already greatly miss the Vampires on my auto-axe in melee, but VATS teleporting up to baddies and hitting them with a Dark Souls-esque ludicrously oversized hammer is a good time, especially when Hack and Slash pops. Given how disappointed I was in the pepper shaker, it's nice to get a potentially usable weapons from Meat Week. Thanks Graham!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Plasma gun automatic with commando or guerilla build is really satisfying, very loud and good with a lot of luck/crit perks and crit buff food. If you feel like you're having to use a ton of ammo with railway or plasma guns you should probably be targeting weak points in VATS and trying to leverage criticals as much as you can. Sneak attacking with a Fixer is great and all but it's also great to not have to worry about sneaking and just sprint around blasting people's faces off before the sneaky sniper types are even in the room. I've been running a lot of Atlantic City expeditions with my Guerilla (full auto pistol) character still using the Slug Buster (AA/Crit damage preset plasma gun from the Buried Treasure raider side main quest) and it feels really satisfying to consistently carry the run with a big variety of teammates. Just upgraded the Slug Buster with a Prime capacitor and gave away 4k or so regular plasma ammo to some level 25 guy :kiddo: