Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

raminasi posted:

making a url shortener is a foundational programming skill so it's totally understandable to make you prove you can do it in 45 minutes. a company can't survive unless all of its devs can do that.

gotta get it debugged and tested before the 40 minute free zoom meeting limit runs out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

corona familiar posted:

gotta get it debugged and tested before the 40 minute free zoom meeting limit runs out

the place I work at is so stingy with full zoom licenses that they've lost out on candidates because there weren't enough licenses to go around for all interviewers for the interview volume. they have assuredly spent more on extra hiring effort than licenses for all interviewers would cost

not understanding that dev time is a cost is typical for this place, so at least its in character

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nobody ever acts like dev time costs the $50-$300/hour that it does. and $50 is more like offshore peeps

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
mine sure as poo poo did to justify bucking important usability updates.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

nobody ever acts like dev time costs the $50-$300/hour that it does. and $50 is more like offshore peeps

we spend that dev time implementing the boss's lovely ideas. if we considered the cost, or better yet did a cost/benefit analysis, we'd find that none of this work is worth doing. but the company doesn't have any other ideas, so if we pointed this out, they'd just fire all of us

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If we considered the cost of dev time, we'd also have to consider the cost of meetings. If we did that, the entire Management class would be jobless overnight and we can't have that now can we!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

i think expensify or similar built a plugin for their google calendar that would show cost of the meeting based on salary of attendees

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
it was shopify.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Company meetings are great if you wfh, peak posting time

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
One time though I was doing dishes or something during a meeting and they pulled the whole "hey X can you stay on after everybody else leaves?" and whoops now I was in a three-person meeting getting called out lol

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

koolkal posted:

Company meetings are great if you wfh, peak posting time

"all hands" means "all hands to posting stations"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if you show up to company/all hands meetings

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

My new team is 100% WFH, but does seem to have a "cameras on during standup/team meetings" culture. Fortunately that doesn't extend to larger org meetings, except for whoever is speaking. I did get randomly called on to speak (just as a "you're new here, introduce yourself") during one of the larger org meetings last week, and fortunately I was paying enough attention and was camera-ready at the time. After I did my intro, though, I think my manager realized their faux pas and apologized on Slack for putting me on the spot.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

lol if you show up to company/all hands meetings

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
For some reason, our stand-ups, one-on-ones, and other small meetings tend to be camera-off while our giant meetings where somebody is usually sharing their screen anyway tend to be camera-on.

I don't have a camera hooked up to my desktop computer, so gently caress em

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

CPColin posted:

I don't have a camera hooked up to my desktop computer, so gently caress em

this and "sorry, Linux issues" are my go-tos

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

corona familiar posted:

Yeah, I use that one every time I miss a meeting notification because I was switched over to my personal user

It's technically sort-of true

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

corona familiar posted:

this is clown poo poo

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
my last job had a physical office but lots of remote people and hired a new cto between when I applied and when I was onboarded. he mandated a “cameras always on for all meetings” policy and the people he brought as managers parroted that

he’d also do online monthly all-dev psyche-up morning rallies to get us excited about the work we were doing, including inspirational quotes from navy seals who may or may not have done war/drug crimes. the first one he did killed my morale for a day and a half

so I recorded a long video clip of me mostly holding still, smiling at the camera and occasionally nodding in agreement and looped it with the OBS virtual camera plugin on my personal machine

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Captain Foo posted:

this is clown poo poo

turn on you are monitor

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Captain Foo posted:

this is clown poo poo

i’ll stop using the linux issues one once i can screen share reliably on wayland :waycool:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

lousy hat posted:

my last job had a physical office but lots of remote people and hired a new cto between when I applied and when I was onboarded. he mandated a “cameras always on for all meetings” policy and the people he brought as managers parroted that

he’d also do online monthly all-dev psyche-up morning rallies to get us excited about the work we were doing, including inspirational quotes from navy seals who may or may not have done war/drug crimes. the first one he did killed my morale for a day and a half

so I recorded a long video clip of me mostly holding still, smiling at the camera and occasionally nodding in agreement and looped it with the OBS virtual camera plugin on my personal machine

Dennis Hopper as the CTO when he finds out he’s seeing a camera loop

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Hed posted:

pop quiz, jack, invert this binary tree

jack if the typing goes below 55wpm the bomb goes off

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Hed posted:

lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Hed posted:

Dennis Hopper as the CTO

"Why ? Why would a nice guy like you wanna kill a feature?
You know that the PO really likes you. He likes you, he
really likes you. He's got something in mind for you. Aren't
you curious about that? I'm curious, I'm very curious. You
curious? There's something happening out there, man.
You know something, man, I know something that you don't
know. That's right, jack. The man is clear in his mind, but his
soul is mad . Oh yeah. He's getting re-orged, I think. He hates all
this, he hates it! But ... the man's ... uh ... he reads spec sheets out
loud, alright? ... And a voice! A voice. ... He likes you because
you're still on schedule. He's got plans for the feature. Nah, nah, I'm not
going to help you, you're going to help him, man. You're going
to help him. I mean, what are they going to say, man, when he's
gone, huh? Because he gets re-orged, when it re-orged, man, when it
gets re-orged, he gets re-orged. What are they going to say about him? What, are
they going to say, he was a productive man, he was a man who embodied
our corporate values, he had plans, he had a PRD? Bullshit, man! Am I going to be the one,
that's going to set them straight? Look at me: wrong! ... You!"

rotor fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 7, 2024

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
A friend and former coworker/classmate who's a senior-ish guy at a privately owned company with less than 50 people (not a startup, not trying to go public, has been around a while and actually makes a profit, not based in figgie land though) let me know they were hiring and I ultimately got the job and accepted last week. I'm taking a slight pay cut but I'm leaving a big tech job that I'm exhausted with and I already know from the people I interviewed with and my friend giving me unfiltered information on what it's like that I'm going to be so much happier at this new place.

Maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into being more ok with taking a small pay cut but I feel like the environment at this new job is going to be a way better fit for me and with how much happier in general I expect I'll be that makes the ~10% cut in salary per year worth it.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

ThePeavstenator posted:

A friend and former coworker/classmate who's a senior-ish guy at a privately owned company with less than 50 people (not a startup, not trying to go public, has been around a while and actually makes a profit, not based in figgie land though) let me know they were hiring and I ultimately got the job and accepted last week. I'm taking a slight pay cut but I'm leaving a big tech job that I'm exhausted with and I already know from the people I interviewed with and my friend giving me unfiltered information on what it's like that I'm going to be so much happier at this new place.

Maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into being more ok with taking a small pay cut but I feel like the environment at this new job is going to be a way better fit for me and with how much happier in general I expect I'll be that makes the ~10% cut in salary per year worth it.

it sounds like you made a smart choice, op

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Money is important but it isn't everything.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

counterpoint: it mostly is though

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Got shot down for a position for not having enough "enterprise" PHP experience.

Eat me.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Frozen Peach posted:

Eat me.

dodged a bullet imo

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Frozen Peach posted:

Eat me.

enterprise php is probably zend php 5.6

i'd rather kill myself tbh

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they're allowed to just say poo poo. might be cuz of your incorrect number of freckles (too much or too little), for all you know

Mantle
May 15, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

I've worked at a similar type of company (lifestyle business, 50 people) in the past and it was the best dev experience I've ever had due the culture of growing slow and growing with the right cultural hires. I would 100% go back if they wanted me at 90% salary. Hope it works out for you!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
But would you 90% go back for 100% salary? Makes u think.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Applied for a company and within 30s I had a email in my inbox requiring me to do a 90 minute coding exercise before even getting to talk to anyone.

some fucks posted:

Here's what you'll work on during this 90 minute exercise:

Provide feedback on a co-worker's Pull Request for a fullstack web app (35 minutes)
Perform some calculations involving dates and money to generate an invoice (55 minutes)

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

lmao they're just using applicants as unpaid mechanical turk labor

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

do the exercise but gently caress up all the calculations

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

reply w an invoice instead of a solution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachy Nietzsche
Jul 26, 2007

This thread's like staring into the void.
I moved to the Netherlands January of last year (2023). I am here under my spouses visa and it allows me to work for any Dutch company without the need for sponsorship. I can also still work for any US company, with freelance being the easiest to manage. I already have a freelance company that I am registered to that can handle all the payments / contract paper work.

When I first started applying to Dutch companies for iOS Dev positions I was at least getting responses but failed to get past either the tech screens or make it to the final interviews. Some of them baffled me because I felt like their culture matched my preferences to a tee and they seemed enthusiastic to move forward. But would then be passed up on. After about October of last year I stopped even getting email rejections, just ghosted completely. I kept a spreadsheet and I applied for 1200 jobs in about an 8 month period.

The one wall I cannot seem to push past is finding any freelance positions in the US for iOS Deverlopers. Most of the sites I came across seem to just be recruiter bait and switch sites and sometimes they ask me a couple questions, say they will reach back but never do. Anyone recommend any reputable US nomad freelance job posting boards?

Also for any Euro goons reading this, is it uncommon for companies to hire outsides their base country even if the job is full remote? I guess I still have trouble understanding how open the EU is to letting someone work for a France based company but be remote in like Spain. Or is there a bias against hiring people residing in the Netherlands?