Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I thought it was AHE the year of our Lord the Holtzman Engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEoQAoEGLhw

Remind me again, the Dune calendar might say the first book occurs in 10191 but it's not our current calendar, right? Because if it was then 10,000 years before Dune would be near to modern day, right?

Not Frank Herbert so i won't be going near it. :shrug:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Failson deserves every penny he can milk outta his dad's stuff. I will, however, never be interested in it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

pnumoman posted:

Failson deserves every penny he can milk outta his dad's stuff. I will, however, never be interested in it.

:agreed:

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEoQAoEGLhw

Remind me again, the Dune calendar might say the first book occurs in 10191 but it's not our current calendar, right? Because if it was then 10,000 years before Dune would be near to modern day, right?

Yeah, it's not our current calendar. The Fandom wiki points to a quote in the appendices of the first book that indicate it's at least another 10,000 years from now to when their calendar starts, so they're probably somewhere in the AD 20000s.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Warhammer 20K

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The semi-canonical Dune Encyclopedia has this timeline

Before Guild
19000-16500
Early human civilizations on Terra.
Aleksandr creates the First Empire.
Rise of the Roman Empire, which conquers the known world, except for China and India.
Fall of the Roman Empire.
After provincial rebellions and minor jihads, the Imperial Seat retreats to Byzantium.
The Great Struggle or the "Century Without an Emperor" begins.
Discoveries in America. Madrid attains the status of the Imperial Seat.
Battle of Englichannel. Imperial Seat moves to London.
The Golden Age of Invention begins (development of radio, television, atomics, rocketry, genetics, and the computer).
China ends its resistance and joins the Empire.
An intraprovincial war culminates in the first use of atomics and the Imperial Seat is moved to Washington.
The Golden Age of Invention ends.
The Little Diaspora begins. The solar system is colonized.
Due to colonization, the Terran population is eventually outnumbered by 20 to 1.
After a planetoid strikes Terra, Ceres becomes the Imperial Seat.
13402-13399
The Rescue of the Treasures from Terra.
Terra is re-seeded. By Imperial edict, it is set aside as a natural park.
etc. etc.

So 14245 BG corresponds to 1945 AD, then the Spacing Guild (and Landsraad, and the Corrino dynasty) was founded in 16190 AD, and the Paul took the throne in 26386 AD (and Leto II took his final cart ride in 29914 AD)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
After an incident in which Ceres was involved, Terra had become impacted by an asteroid

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tree Bucket posted:

After an incident in which Ceres was involved, Terra had become impacted by an asteroid

Gundam moment

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

What if Paul had a giant robot to pilot around?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Less duncan, more gundam

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FMguru posted:

So 14245 BG corresponds to 1945 AD, then the Spacing Guild (and Landsraad, and the Corrino dynasty) was founded in 16190 AD, and the Paul took the throne in 26386 AD (and Leto II took his final cart ride in 29914 AD)

It doesn’t really matter on this scale, but there’s a lost century somewhere.

The number of years between the defeat of the Spanish Armada in A.D. 1588 is consistent with the “Discoveries in America” in 1492, but both are inconsistent with the end of the Second World War, which would have happened in 1845 if either of the other two are taken as fixed points.

Either way, Rome somehow falls circa A.D. 100 or A.D. 200 and becomes an empire multiple centuries before the Common Era.

Putting the fall of Rome in the reign of Trajan (at the beginning of the second century) is sort of consistent with Constantine designating Constantinople as the Imperial City though. If we take Gibbons’ date of 476, the Empire retreats in 676, and I can’t see how that makes any more sense.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 16, 2024

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Rome was an empire, or at least a hegemonic power, a couple centuries BC

676 is around the time of the early Umayyads conquering most the Roman east and Persia

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah it makes a certain amount of sense that Imperial Space Historians of the distant future would know and care more about Rome’s undisputed dominance over the known world, with the defeat of Carthage in the Second Punic War in 201 BCE, than about Rome’s internal political structure.

Justifying a date of 300 BCE is a little harder.

The entire life of Alexander the Great happens 356–323, so figuring one hundred years after ‘Aleksandr’ doesn’t help disambiguate.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
[sneers future historian-ishly] clearly the so-called British leader during the First Atomic War is a mythic figure intended to depict the numerous cultural and political forces at work at this time. I mean, come on, his name is "Victory-City Temple-Mountain"

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I don't think the timeline has to match exactly, considering that the location of Sol is implied to be forgotten.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tree Bucket posted:

Less duncan, more gundam

Put Duncan in a Gundam

Hell, they probably would if they could. Now I'm picturing a Gundam antagonist coming back after being confirmed dead repeatedly and turns out they're cloning him over and over.

Anyway, I always found that timeline to be a pretty funny commentary on historical narratives and how people view the past through the biases of the present. It's not meant to be accurate history, it's showing how the people of that setting 'know' the past. Sol is only relevant to them as a historical curiosity, like wherever in Africa humans first evolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
https://x.com/edwardodell/status/1791056493048950935