Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Hey Duckman, when you've got a moment, I need an assist with an upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Alright, question about activating an unlocked phone.

My dad has a Pixel 2 that is finally giving up the ghost. Through a sale and a bunch of google store credit, I picked him up an unlocked pixel 8.

What is the best way to actually get the phone activated on verizon? The internet seems full of conflicting info or half-information that doesn't give a full picture.

We can't use the SIM from his old phone, since it is not 5G. I assume I can just request a new 5G SIM from verizon and throw it in and call verizon to make the switch in the account? This feels like the easiest way unless I am missing something. My dad is remote and while he is more tech literate than most 70 year olds, I would rather make it as simple as possible to walk him through.

There is also the eSIM method, I guess? I don't really know anything about that - but if it saves the step of getting a new SIM it might be easier? I dunno - any insight into this would be appreciated.

Looking for any general guidance here or a link to a complete list of steps to actually get it up and running. I have no concerns about setting up the phone after it is activated on the network. Thanks in advance.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ROJO posted:

My dad has a Pixel 2 that is finally giving up the ghost. Through a sale and a bunch of google store credit, I picked him up an unlocked pixel 8.

What is the best way to actually get the phone activated on verizon? The internet seems full of conflicting info or half-information that doesn't give a full picture.

We can't use the SIM from his old phone, since it is not 5G. I assume I can just request a new 5G SIM from verizon and throw it in and call verizon to make the switch in the account? This feels like the easiest way unless I am missing something. My dad is remote and while he is more tech literate than most 70 year olds, I would rather make it as simple as possible to walk him through.

There is also the eSIM method, I guess? I don't really know anything about that - but if it saves the step of getting a new SIM it might be easier? I dunno - any insight into this would be appreciated.

Looking for any general guidance here or a link to a complete list of steps to actually get it up and running. I have no concerns about setting up the phone after it is activated on the network. Thanks in advance.

Hit up your local corporate Verizon store, not an affiliate, and have them authorize/authenticate the phone. I was able to properly authorize/authenticate my P5>P8P, but the SIM was 5G. It's not a terribly straightforward process to do it through the website as the old phone needs to be de-registered and the new phone properly authenticated on the same SIM.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Branch Nvidian posted:

Hey Duckman, I'm getting double billed for the Disney Bundle on my account. I've got an $18 account charge for it and then a $10 charge on one of my lines for it too. I've clicked around on the site and can't figure out a way to fix this on my own, I assume I need to call customer care :negative:, or worse go into a store?

It has been months, I've tried repeatedly to get this fixed. I've been credited twice for the $18 charge at the account level. I can't remove it from my account because I'm not on a plan that includes the bundle perk anymore. Customer Service tells me to contact Disney about it, but Disney isn't billing me for that, they're billing me directly now via another payment method. I'm positive this is some BAN level SKU on my account, but no one seems to be able to remove it. I feel stupid making some kind of "I'm gonna take my business elsewhere!" statement, but also idk what to do since I'm being charged an extra $216 a year for something I'm now paying for on my own because that $18 isn't granting me access to Disney services.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ROJO posted:

As headline said, go to a corp store and you’ll be good, SIM cards are free.

Set an appointment here : Vzw.com/storelocator

Branch Nvidian posted:

It has been months, I've tried repeatedly to get this fixed. I've been credited twice for the $18 charge at the account level. I can't remove it from my account because I'm not on a plan that includes the bundle perk anymore. Customer Service tells me to contact Disney about it, but Disney isn't billing me for that, they're billing me directly now via another payment method. I'm positive this is some BAN level SKU on my account, but no one seems to be able to remove it. I feel stupid making some kind of "I'm gonna take my business elsewhere!" statement, but also idk what to do since I'm being charged an extra $216 a year for something I'm now paying for on my own because that $18 isn't granting me access to Disney services.

I PMed you ideas I think will help with this.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Duckman2008 posted:

I PMed you ideas I think will help with this.

I am also being charged by Disney while the bundle is on my Verizon account, can you PM me too please?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kensei posted:

I am also being charged by Disney while the bundle is on my Verizon account, can you PM me too please?

PMed

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011
I just wanted to see if there is a better plan I should be signed up for. Currently have three phone lines on unlimited welcome and three lines for watches (two apple watches and a Verizon gizmo, these are all for kids).

I previously was on prepaid and was perfectly happy but we switched to contract plans when we added the third phone line. We got a phone with the new line but otherwise brought our own phones and purchased the watches.

I am trying to compare prepaid lines but the Verizon website is not letting me see the lines on my account correctly and I am missing on the prepaid site if/where they offer prepaid watch lines. My main goal is just to make sure I am not missing anything and wildly over paying.

I don't have DMs but am happy to share an email so I don't clutter up the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cascadia Pirate posted:

I just wanted to see if there is a better plan I should be signed up for. Currently have three phone lines on unlimited welcome and three lines for watches (two apple watches and a Verizon gizmo, these are all for kids).

I previously was on prepaid and was perfectly happy but we switched to contract plans when we added the third phone line. We got a phone with the new line but otherwise brought our own phones and purchased the watches.

I am trying to compare prepaid lines but the Verizon website is not letting me see the lines on my account correctly and I am missing on the prepaid site if/where they offer prepaid watch lines. My main goal is just to make sure I am not missing anything and wildly over paying.

I don't have DMs but am happy to share an email so I don't clutter up the thread.

You should call the telesales line at (800) 256-4646

They’ll get you a quote, they’re the only department that can move postpaid to prepaid (and they’re happy to do it).

Note: if you got a phone on the add a line it was likely a 3 year contract for the free phone, you could still switch but if there’s a balance you just have to pay it off.