Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

90s Cringe Rock posted:

stubborn skill-grinder:

“To think he would descend just to talk to a rockhead like you.”

Rockhead? That was an insult, a verbal attack.

The warrior returned all attacks.

Without thinking about it, Orodan instinctively activated the skill… and Arvayne grunted and his eyes narrowed.

“What was that? It felt as though you deeply offended me… was that some sort of social skill?” the old man pointedly asked.

“No… it’s my Mythical skill… apparently it can return all attacks… even if they’re verbal.”

this story is stupid as hell

e: “I thought you’re the God of War? How can you freeze time?” Orodan asked.

“A trifling matter once you wrestle time into submission,” the God of War casually explained.

Okay this is loving awesome though, that would fit perfectly as an epic destiny in 4e D&D. Link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Peachfart posted:

But Tristan now has a very smart bird friend. Probably smarter than Angharad lol

don't forget cat

normally this might end poorly for bird but I'm not convinced Mephistofeline can leap except to a surface he has established a rapport with

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Finished In To The Mire

Pretty good, but apart from some setting details here and there, just felt like accomplished standard fantasy rather than insane web serial fantasy

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

stubborn skill-grinder:

this story is stupid as hell

I got to the part where he was handed a thick textbook and memorized the entirety of it in fifteen minutes, because what is a challenging book if not an opponent? I hate how much I’m enjoying this.

NinjaDebugger posted:

Okay this is loving awesome though, that would fit perfectly as an epic destiny in 4e D&D. Link?

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/83294/the-stubborn-skill-grinder-in-a-time-loop

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It took me far too long to realize that the haunted book is the most mysterious older woman in the story, and therefore the primary romantic interest.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Him fighting some ancient spider dragon while his mentor struggles to relax and read a book cos he's got the war god hooting and hollering in his head

e: As Orodan had come to learn, skill combinations removed the skills used in the combination from his Status altogether.

The thing was getting rather clunky and unsightly nowadays. So the more skill combinations, the better.

He's gonna end up with one maxed-out skill, isn't he?

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 1, 2024

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

mossyfisk posted:

It took me far too long to realize that the haunted book is the most mysterious older woman in the story, and therefore the primary romantic interest.
oh my god I didn't even think of that

the book is just his type

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Stubborn Skill Grinder is the type of fiction that you are too busy enjoying to care how bad parts of it are.

The entire personality of the MC is there in the title. He KNOWS there are smarter ways to do things, he just doesn't care.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I risked my sanity by trying some new webfictions, so I might as well review them.

Neon Dragons - A Cyberpunk Isekai: Follows a similar mold as Jackal Among Snakes and Memoirs of a Small Time Villainess, except this reincarnated MC wakes up in the Cyberpunk game they wanted to play, with a system. And the author really wants you to know that, to the tune of thousands of words about how the main character grinds her athletics skill by going jogging every morning. I guess maybe there's some appeal to readers that really want to read a story about an MC min/maxing a system the author made up to be min/maxed, but I dropped it and don't regret it. Oh, and apparently Patreon subscribers can vote about skill choices, which probably would have saved me the bother of giving this one a chance.

Cultist of Cerebon: The MC is a reincarnated earth human (of course) that apparently never read a fantasy story in their life because they thought it would be a good idea to become a cultist to a lovecraftian god of flesh and transformation, but it kind of worked out, the god is surprisingly chill and there's less body horror than you'd expect (but not none). Then plot happens and a military coup topples the local church and wants a new, less influential source of divine magic and starts promoting all the minor religions and cults that were previously oppressed. Enter the MC trying to take advantage of the situation and also gain levels, because it's a LitRPG.
Okay, this one was right off the best rated page, so it wasn't too big a risk to my sanity. It's by the author of A Nerubian's Journey and A Sect Elder's Journey, and it shows. It's a story about a main character using clever plans and whatever resources they can get to overcome challenges, and hey, it's pretty alright if that's what you're looking for. I mean, they were able to get me to actually read a WoW fanfiction with the Nerubian one, which is saying something.

The Years of Apocalypse - A Timeloop Progression Fantasy: This story is Mother of Learning. Well, not literally, the characters are different, the plot is (probably) different, the.... uh, the title is much more generic? But it's still about a student at a mage school who witnesses their school being destroyed by a surprise military attack and then wakes up a month later, over and over.
However, it still works surprisingly well. There's a lot you can do within the framework of a time loop story about trying to save a magic school that Mother of Learning didn't already do, and this story is pretty well written for all that it's apparently a new author. The reveals about the overarching plot are interesting, the characters are fun, the occasional action scenes are well written and keep the tension at a good level. Definitely my favorite story I've read recently and I'll probably be subscribing to the patreon; recommended for anyone that enjoyed Mother of Learning and would like to read more like it, especially if it's been long enough since reading MoL that the similarities won't bring things down. And even though it's only three months old, there's a lot of it and it's getting released fast; either the author already pre-wrote much of it or they have the writing pace of pirateaba.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cerebon was fun but stories with daily updates have ruined me so much that fortnightly feels glacial.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Cerebon was fun but stories with daily updates have ruined me so much that fortnightly feels glacial.

I very rarely read a story update by update, I mostly wait until there's a lot out and then binge it all, then maybe come back later if it was particularly good. That's why I only got to reading Cerebon now.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Bremen posted:

The Years of Apocalypse - A Timeloop Progression Fantasy: This story is Mother of Learning. Well, not literally, the characters are different, the plot is (probably) different, the.... uh, the title is much more generic? But it's still about a student at a mage school who witnesses their school being destroyed by a surprise military attack and then wakes up a month later, over and over.
However, it still works surprisingly well. There's a lot you can do within the framework of a time loop story about trying to save a magic school that Mother of Learning didn't already do, and this story is pretty well written for all that it's apparently a new author. The reveals about the overarching plot are interesting, the characters are fun, the occasional action scenes are well written and keep the tension at a good level. Definitely my favorite story I've read recently and I'll probably be subscribing to the patreon; recommended for anyone that enjoyed Mother of Learning and would like to read more like it, especially if it's been long enough since reading MoL that the similarities won't bring things down. And even though it's only three months old, there's a lot of it and it's getting released fast; either the author already pre-wrote much of it or they have the writing pace of pirateaba.

Thanks! This sounds right up my alley.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
I guess while we are on the topic of new webserials.

This one isn't new but I kind of enjoyed the first 2 story arcs, and the general plot premise.

The Young lady is a reborn assassin An assassin from Earth is reincarnated as the villainess character in a Visual Novel game he played, as killing people for money and being an otaku are very similar hobbies. Now reborn as the young lady and trying to avoid interacting with the protagonist to avoid a bad end. He/she finds themselves caught up in strange events that draw upon his former profession as an assassin.

The story hooked me in the first 2 arcs by minor spoiler the assassin realizing that he was reincarnated not because a hero was needed by the Goddess to fight evil but because they needed a killer to fight evil. I thought it was a somewhat enjoyable read hitting those Manga tropes like isekai, villainess, otome game, reincarnator etc. Which is how I fell into it but, the last 2 arcs feel imo terribly planned/written and probably would have done better as a book instead of a web serial to tighten up the plot and character motivations as they feel extremely scatter brained, and while other worlds have their own rules. The world DWS crafted for their webserial doesn't fit very well, though it could be blamed on visual novel game rules.

I at most would recommend the first 2 arcs, but not the latest ones as I feel like though I love the premise (anti-hero doing good stuff) just kind of falls apart a bit. Though I am interested in how this ends with finding out the how/why reincarnation which is teased a bit.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Chillyrabbit posted:

The Young lady is a reborn assassin An assassin from Earth is reincarnated as the villainess character in a Visual Novel game he played, as killing people for money and being an otaku are very similar hobbies.
this just reminds me of those incredible videos where they got a hitman to play Hitman and comment on the kills

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm reading Slave Origin Playthrough at the moment. I hesitate to say it's good, but I'm continuing to read it so it must have something. Very slight twist on the LitRPG elements in that there's no such thing as a status screen - the reader can see the system messages but the protagonist is just making educated guesses at what must be happening.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

this just reminds me of those incredible videos where they got a hitman to play Hitman and comment on the kills

A real life hitman watches StealthGamerBR's highlights video posted:

"This... this man scares me"

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

https://youtu.be/Vt_rsMwl4_c

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

quote:

Marcus Graham has been handed a raw deal. As a student of military history, he wants nothing more than to help the world learn from human conflict. But his increasingly hostile college is blocking his lectures and threatening to cancel him for speaking his mind. War is just too triggering for the young minds of this generation.
didn't even check the author name, it could literally be by the Paranoid Mage guy or something, but if this is what you lead with to sell people on your poo poo you know it's gonna be grade a premium feces

e: oh my god lmao

quote:

Welcome to Fantasy General - the Army-Building Isekai

Features:

Small-large scale battles ranging from shady underground caverns to open-field skirmishes.

A story focused on military strategy with detailed battle maps.

Political intrigue between fantasy races (Elves, trolls, orcs/goblins, lizardmen, Ratlings) each with their own kingdoms and motivations.

Characters with realistic thoughts and actions.

A protagonist who's IQ is above room temperature

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

IQ is such a reliable indicator. Discussing it is almost always a red flag. 🚩

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

That sounds like what you'd get if Larry Correia threw his fedora into the serial ring.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

I read a post by someone saying that he only reads rationalist webfiction because it's the only fiction worth reading. I bet that guy and this guy would be friends.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

LLSix posted:

IQ is such a reliable indicator. Discussing it is almost always a red flag. 🚩

Also, let's be real. People don't care about the IQ or INT stat. It's the perceived WIS stat that they rage over

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Frankly, INT being a stat that really commonly shows up in litrpg stuff bothers me. The fact that D&D used Vancian magic (memorization of big edifices of, if not logic, than at least complex concepts) meant that Intelligence made sense, but most of the time when I see it used, it's in the D&D sense, when there's no reason that "bein' magic" and "bein' smart" should be correlated at all, and either you end up in the trap of "increased INT makes you actually smarter," which is hard to write a good story around, or it's JUST the magic stat and doesn't actually make you smarter, in which case it should be some other word.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Once again, Ar'Kendrythst flies where others stumble.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Just wanted to say that I'm quite happy with this thread since the SS patreon discussion was split off, and I hope they're happy with it too.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Yeah it's nice not to have to lost with spoiler tags. A hassle to edit.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I would post more about other web serials I'm reading but pgts is effectively on hiatus and everything else is piling up behind attempting to finish Reverend Insanity.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Ramie posted:

I read a post by someone saying that he only reads rationalist webfiction because it's the only fiction worth reading. I bet that guy and this guy would be friends.

imagine making GBS threads on this media diet

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Bremen posted:

:madmax:

Thanks for the kind words! For the record, I pre-wrote about 20k, and have been pounding my face against the keyboard as fast as I can to write the other 160k. I wouldn't quite put myself at pirateaba levels of writing insanity, though. And yes, the story is very obviously inspired by MoL.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Wittgen posted:

Once again, Ar'Kendrythst flies where others stumble.

This.
Also Epilogue 3 comes out tomorrow and if it is as good as the other stories, Patreon is worth it. Arcs, the author, has also been hard at work on a new story that will be coming out at some point in the future.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Uranium Phoenix posted:

:madmax:

Thanks for the kind words! For the record, I pre-wrote about 20k, and have been pounding my face against the keyboard as fast as I can to write the other 160k. I wouldn't quite put myself at pirateaba levels of writing insanity, though. And yes, the story is very obviously inspired by MoL.

Oh hey, didn't realize you were a goon. Grats on the story and enjoy my :10bux:.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Read Delve

A real litRPG maths sickos webserial. Competently written, if very slow, I can't imagine reading this one serially. Get the feeling this was heavily heavily influenced by Mother of Learning and Worth the Candle in various ways, especially all the self soul manipulation antics. I've got to say, let's bring liberal humanism and industrialisation to fantasy land is getting less and less interesting the more I read in that subgenre.

A real problem of litRPGs in general is compounding abilities, which is a narrative/balance problem in real life RPGs as well, there's just so many options that combat becomes overwhelming. Far prefer the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure thing of finding new applications of very specific powers.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 4, 2024

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Is Delve the one where the MC gets in trouble for using a cleaning spell?

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

LLSix posted:

Is Delve the one where the MC gets in trouble for using a cleaning spell?

Yes, but I thought it was really well done.

"We don't let people show off gigantic flashy magic in the town because nobody knows what it's going to be" isn't an insane take.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Dropped delve after the eighth interminable dream soul surgery chapter. In the time it takes Pirate to make you fall in love with an entirely new continent and caste of characters, Delve has the protagonist describe being bored while going for a hike in the woods.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
did he finally fix his own soul / get out of his own head

because that was a real "are they still on Namek" situation

then again I'm salty because the author dropped the "even before the mighty lost culture there were isekai'd roman ruins" and then just did nothing with it

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Velius posted:

Dropped delve after the eighth interminable dream soul surgery chapter. In the time it takes Pirate to make you fall in love with an entirely new continent and caste of characters, Delve has the protagonist describe being bored while going for a hike in the woods.

This is around where I dropped Delve as well. There's slow story telling and there's 'why am I reading this still?'.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
Stuff did actually happen in Delve since then! The story is on hiatus currently though.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Peachfart posted:

This.
Also Epilogue 3 comes out tomorrow and if it is as good as the other stories, Patreon is worth it. Arcs, the author, has also been hard at work on a new story that will be coming out at some point in the future.

It looks like Arcs posted the first 120k words of what might be his next story today. Epilogue 3 to come later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I love delve. But I need to read it in large chunks. Like months of backlog.