Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

i thought that the invited court jester was supposed to roast the president and not slobknob him at those events lmao

you can tell when the empire is in terminal decline when the emperor forbids laughing at him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

get a loving grip

https://twitter.com/DanaBashCNN/status/1785725450527842512

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The pro Israeli students attacked the protesters in LA

Here’s why this is just like Nazi Germany

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Jewish students are being attacked and are unsafe!

The Jewish Voice for Peace students.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
it's jew on jew antisemitism. The most pernicious kind of all

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Ain't got nothing on Mel.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1786076967164358848

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

good for them

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

bedpan posted:

if you go back and look at the reality winner story, the intercept did some very strange and stupid stuff in how they spoke with the government about the material and what information they shared

hmmm no pretty sure glenn greenwald did all that personally to sabotage reality winner and ruin her life because he loves trump and putin and everyone else at the intercept was mostly blameless in comparison its why they had to fire him

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
yeah that's what i heard too, pretty f'ed up imo

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

:catstare:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Back in April 2023, Fox News showed Tucker Carlson the door. At the time, I shared a few thoughts on his firing and offered my best guesses for his life after Fox News. Let’s see how I did.

quote:

Carlson's exit from Fox News could pave the way for an even more powerful and influential future for him. If he chooses to establish his own media company, it will undoubtedly have the financial backing he needs to turn it into a powerhouse. For ideologically-focused investors who prioritize political results over profitability, that could mean a totally guardrail-free version of Carlson (not that Fox was doing a great job keeping him on message, but it’s clear that there were some lines, however few, that he couldn’t cross on air).

It is important to acknowledge the cases of Bill O’Reilly, Glenn Beck, and Megyn Kelly, whose careers took different trajectories after leaving Fox News. These examples of relative1 fizzles may have led us to underestimate Carlson's post-Fox staying power. His fanbase is… a bit different, and his specific presence in the world of the extreme right can’t be overlooked.

And I'm not saying this is likely, but… Carlson's political influence could potentially translate into an eventual run for office, even if not immediately. When he says something, people on the right listen. He really can’t be underestimated. He’s a smart guy with impressive public speaking skills. He’s not some bumbling Sean Hannity-type.

Or, hey, maybe I’m totally wrong and he’ll fail at whatever he does.

In fact, to truly understand how far off base I was with that guess, I’m going to insist that you watch this 5:02 video by Kat Abughazaleh of Media Matters for America. She does a great job explaining just how bad the past year has been for Carlson’s career:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu6o8L6Z8Ak

quote:

One year ago today, Tucker Carlson was fired from Fox News. And I'm happy to report it's been a rough year for America's squeakiest fascist. I've been saying for years that Tucker needed Fox a lot more than Fox needed Tucker. But to be totally honest, I didn't expect him to fall this hard, this fast.

In 365 days, Tucker Carlson went from the number one cable news host in the country to giving up $20 million so he can interview unhinged lunatics on a dying website.

It's impossible to overstate how influential Tucker was as a Fox News host. His time slot was the most-watched cable news show in the country. He was the conductor of the Fox Orchestra and by extension, the GOP. … He was one of the most powerful men in America, but then he got fired. Don't get me wrong, he still has an audience with the far right, but because he's made such a fool of himself, because he's failed to stay relevant in the mainstream, Tucker's lost his title as puppet master.

When he was at Fox, his rhetoric was being broadcast into millions of homes every single night. And that is why he was so dangerous. There are a million right-wing cranks online, but there was only one Tucker Carlson. We still don't know why Tucker was fired. There are so many rumors from a sexual harassment lawsuit to a handshake deal with Dominion. I don't really think it's worth speculating about though. I think we should just be grateful that he got fired in the first place.

Rarely am I happy to say I was wrong, but this is certainly one very pleasant exception. I was wrong. Carlson’s career has taken a massive hit since leaving Fox. Sure, he’s still a millionaire many times over. And yes, he still has millions of fans. That’s nothing to sneeze at, for sure. But this is a man that people, myself included, used to think might one day become (a horrible, tyrannical) president. He’s just a year removed from being one of the most influential political voices in the country, and that’s just wild to me.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/goodhorsemen/status/1786458949505667392?t=A1pFEjNOajA0sqMhmXpyqw&s=19

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

but surely the prose of the entire book doesnt read like this right

right?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40XSav1LgyA

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Even the most tik tok poisoned teenager couldn't read and comprehend (or even enjoy) that surely :whitewater:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

But this is a man that people, myself included, used to think might one day become (a horrible, tyrannical) president.

lmfao

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Chewbecca posted:

Even the most tik tok poisoned teenager couldn't read and comprehend (or even enjoy) that surely :whitewater:

It’s for people our age that still want to feel cool and with it

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

If Chuck Palahniuk had been born 40 years later and hit in the head with a hammer.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If you want something written by a meme-brained millennial but actually good, there’s Gideon the Ninth.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Measurehead wrote a novel.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

Back in April 2023, Fox News showed Tucker Carlson the door. At the time, I shared a few thoughts on his firing and offered my best guesses for his life after Fox News. Let’s see how I did.

In fact, to truly understand how far off base I was with that guess, I’m going to insist that you watch this 5:02 video by Kat Abughazaleh of Media Matters for America. She does a great job explaining just how bad the past year has been for Carlson’s career:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu6o8L6Z8Ak

Rarely am I happy to say I was wrong, but this is certainly one very pleasant exception. I was wrong. Carlson’s career has taken a massive hit since leaving Fox. Sure, he’s still a millionaire many times over. And yes, he still has millions of fans. That’s nothing to sneeze at, for sure. But this is a man that people, myself included, used to think might one day become (a horrible, tyrannical) president. He’s just a year removed from being one of the most influential political voices in the country, and that’s just wild to me.

deplatforming works really well. see also alex jones

but yeah i had no idea his career had taken such a nosedive and it owns

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

babypolis posted:

deplatforming works really well. see also alex jones

but yeah i had no idea his career had taken such a nosedive and it owns

durrrrrrrrrrr

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MonsieurChoc posted:

If you want something written by a meme-brained millennial but actually good, there’s Gideon the Ninth.
but this girl is gen z, not millenial. you have to accept that our time is over, that the world is moving on

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

im finally starting to see where them old farts who are mad at the kids today are coming from

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Chewbecca posted:

i can read and comprhend it but did not enjoy it and ive never used tiktok

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Megamissen posted:

i can read and comprhend it but did not enjoy it and ive never used tiktok

my eyes glazed over at the first line so i have no idea if the rest was even words.

NYT columnist demands students allow reporters to twist their words and openly lie about their cause and is extremely angry they refuse to engage with peggy noonan, lol

https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/status/1786771884496830733

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Good. Those kids are smart.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

its good girls have their own bronze age pervert

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Harik posted:

my eyes glazed over at the first line so i have no idea if the rest was even words.

NYT columnist demands students allow reporters to twist their words and openly lie about their cause and is extremely angry they refuse to engage with peggy noonan, lol

kids telling each other not to talk to the media is probably the single scariest development for the elite out of this round of protests and they are making GBS threads blood over it

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

kids telling each other not to talk to the media is probably the single scariest development for the elite out of this round of protests and they are making GBS threads blood over it

They learned it from Donald Trump who refers to the media as "The Enemy of The People" (he's right, you know!). :chaostrump:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Who would pass up the opportunity to talk to Peggy Noonan?!

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Harik posted:

note that this is the guy whose nepo baby son Theo had that featured article in the Atlantic slandering the protesters

and who is now defending daddy by trying to dictate what his Stanford professors post:

https://x.com/tab_delete/status/1786894099930554777
https://x.com/tab_delete/status/1786923469638345067
https://x.com/hakeemjefferson/status/1786927198588596658
(original email is next post if anyone cares)

I don’t think it’s unnecessary deference to credentialism to say that I genuinely don’t know anyone who would have written imperatives to one of their professors using their first name - that’s like an entirely inconceivable level of being an entitled little poo poo

I’m sure we can all look forward to him getting his own spot at the NYT soon

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

LGD posted:

I genuinely don’t know anyone who would have written imperatives to one of their professors using their first name

american problem

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Titles are used to place one man above another, insist on referring to your doctor on a first name basis.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

exmarx posted:

american problem
we have to judge this sort of stuff within the context of the culture, even one as backwards and deferential as that of america

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

LGD posted:

note that this is the guy whose nepo baby son Theo had that featured article in the Atlantic slandering the protesters

and who is now defending daddy by trying to dictate what his Stanford professors post:

He deleted but I caught it

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
In Australia you call teaching academics by their first names, sometimes even nicknames if they have them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Chewbecca posted:

In Australia you call teaching academics by their first names, sometimes even nicknames if they have them

Probably not a good idea when you're demanding that they stop posting about a genocide