Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the manzai guy from 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
shishido

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nancy-chan

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Arakawa Masumi

The Chairman posted:

you can definitely play Ishin whenever, the references are almost exclusively "this guy in Ishin looks like a guy in another game", and there's absolutely nothing you'd have to know about the mainline games to understand what's happening in Ishin

This is not quite true. The references are sometimes "This guy from actual history who does xyz looks like a guy from another game who did yxz." You won't have trouble following the plot of Ishin, but you migth miss out on some really understated comedy if you don't know anything the mainline games.

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 4, 2024

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Kuze easy. Like, yeah, Kiryu manages to down him fairly decisively each encounter (and this is a young, not-quite-yet-a-loving-monster Kiryu at that), but no one else in the series has had the tenacity to keep coming back for it besides Majima. Real "I didn't hear no bell" energy.

Re: Play Order, I always recommend going in release order once you're past the remakes. So that'd be 6 -> Judgement -> Like a Dragon -> Lost Judgement -> Gaiden -> Infinite Wealth.

While that's mostly just me being pedantic, the ones that are a must are doing Lost Judgement after Like a Dragon (a huge core of LJ's plot is built on a major event from Like a Dragon), and Gaiden between Like a Dragon and Infinite Wealth (it is literally designed to bridge the gap between the two).

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Shyrka posted:

After player characters and Amon, who are the strongest fighters in the series?

She canonically overpowers Kiyru (twice) and Majima.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

DanielCross posted:

Kuze easy. Like, yeah, Kiryu manages to down him fairly decisively each encounter (and this is a young, not-quite-yet-a-loving-monster Kiryu at that), but no one else in the series has had the tenacity to keep coming back for it besides Majima. Real "I didn't hear no bell" energy.

Re: Play Order, I always recommend going in release order once you're past the remakes. So that'd be 6 -> Judgement -> Like a Dragon -> Lost Judgement -> Gaiden -> Infinite Wealth.

While that's mostly just me being pedantic, the ones that are a must are doing Lost Judgement after Like a Dragon (a huge core of LJ's plot is built on a major event from Like a Dragon), and Gaiden between Like a Dragon and Infinite Wealth (it is literally designed to bridge the gap between the two).

I agree with Gaiden but if you played Judgment -> Lost Judgment without YLAD its honestly not that big a deal. Like you're never not fighting organized crime guys in loud suits even if officially they're not part of an established clan anymore so it doesn't matter in LJ that much, and really now that Infinite Wealth is out it's really not even that big a deal there because half that game is about rogue yakuza leaders undermining Daigo and sparking a national crisis, which is also the basic plot of Yakuzas 3-6, so the fact that they're officially dissolved while acting exactly the same doesn't mean much

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DanielCross posted:

That's only because of Kiryu letting him live to fight him again, though.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

I agree with Gaiden but if you played Judgment -> Lost Judgment without YLAD its honestly not that big a deal. Like you're never not fighting organized crime guys in loud suits even if officially they're not part of an established clan anymore so it doesn't matter in LJ that much, and really now that Infinite Wealth is out it's really not even that big a deal there because half that game is about rogue yakuza leaders undermining Daigo and sparking a national crisis, which is also the basic plot of Yakuzas 3-6, so the fact that they're officially dissolved while acting exactly the same doesn't mean much

I agree in general, but like, from the perspective of someone who cares about the story of the overall series and not just the stories of each individual game, learning about the Great Dissolution when it's first revealed in LaD is a massive mic drop moment, right after Ichiban is finally reunited with Arakawa and when you first get to see Daigo, while learning about it in LJ is like, Yagami dropping a casual line about it at the very start of the game. If someone cares about seeing the whole series in the order that delivers the story most effectively, rather than just taking the games individually, then you absolutely have to hold LJ until after LaD.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I started Yakuza 5 and I'm already really enjoying it. The opening bit was probably one of my favorite yakuza openings, and I really dig the whole tone of Kiryu's early chapter here. Also I appreciate that the game lets me get tiger drop super early and just destroy every random encounter with it.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Man in Black getting no respect

Mine is probably the strongest boss when taking into account Kiryu's relative age/abilities, which is unfortunate since I don't care for Mine at all

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I feel like Man in Black should've been Amon. I'd literally never loving seen Amon until Sodachi makes a comment about a 'hidden boss looking guy' in 6 and you see him around the corner. He should've been integrated more into the games, since I still don't know what Man in Black's whole deal is other than blowing up Kiryu's phone with tutorials and being a bitch of a fight in Kiwami 2.

edit: Also I'm playing Gaiden now, and my god please get a new photograph of the Morning Glory kids. You made new models for them in 6, it shouldn't be hard! All that said, it still feels almost like an old friend seeing that Yakuza 3 rear end lineup.

Shyrka fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 5, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
MvC Morrigan sprite rear end photograph.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Nuebot posted:

I started Yakuza 5 and I'm already really enjoying it. The opening bit was probably one of my favorite yakuza openings, and I really dig the whole tone of Kiryu's early chapter here. Also I appreciate that the game lets me get tiger drop super early and just destroy every random encounter with it.

Hell yeah, y5 is great. Kind of a mess but a delightful one, and that moody opening is a delight. Enjoy!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Y5 is super frustrating because Kiryu's section is one of the best yakuza games ever and then everything else happens

Saejima's city is so annoying to navigate that I started to wish he was back in prison

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kojiro posted:

Hell yeah, y5 is great. Kind of a mess but a delightful one, and that moody opening is a delight. Enjoy!

Most yakuza games seem to be a bit of a mess in some way. But I'm really enjoying the taxi stuff even, too. If this was the whole game it'd definitely be up there in my top like three yakuzas. But I'm taking it real slow and haven't played anyone else yet.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Y5 is super frustrating because Kiryu's section is one of the best yakuza games ever and then everything else happens

Saejima's city is so annoying to navigate that I started to wish he was back in prison

I liked Haruka's part as a change of pace, and I liked Shinada as a character, if not necessarily his fighting style (though it wasn't so bad that it ruined the experience for me). I won't disagree with you about Saejima's part, and I honestly don't remember anything about Akiyama at all and he probably didn't need to be there, though it's always nice to see him I guess.

The plot overall is a mess for sure, but the game is so big you're never gonna be able to track what's happening at any given time anyway so whatever

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

I liked Haruka's part as a change of pace, and I liked Shinada as a character, if not necessarily his fighting style (though it wasn't so bad that it ruined the experience for me). I won't disagree with you about Saejima's part, and I honestly don't remember anything about Akiyama at all and he probably didn't need to be there, though it's always nice to see him I guess.

The plot overall is a mess for sure, but the game is so big you're never gonna be able to track what's happening at any given time anyway so whatever

I actually thought Shinada's whole buddy-cop thing with his loan shark, his smut-writer job and his baseball side story were all really good but his combat style is so bad and his city is like a bland version of Kamurocho and his trainer is such a weirdo incel that it was fighting my enjoyment the whole time.

I didn't hate the idea of Haruka as an idol doing dance battles but she has such a flatly nice personality and there's so little variety that it gets old quick, and Akiyama isn't even doing funny and morally questionable moneylender/cabaret owner stuff or playing off his secretary so his whole thing seems like a wash. Basically they took the best city, Sotenbori, and made it kinda boring, which I did not think was possible after Y0 and YK2.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk if you finished the Shinada training but Leo stops being such an insufferable goober by the end.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Akiyama [...] he probably didn't need to be there, though it's always nice to see him I guess.

I'd say that pretty much describes his entire presence in the series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the only real point of akiyama in 5 is that you can do completely ridiculous juggles.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Would 5 have been a better game if they removed Akiyama and let Haruka fight instead? Yes, absolutely. But I still like Akiyama anyway.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

They cut the wrong character from the 4 roster.

Anyway I've finished the taxi missions, they were really fun and it was a neat little storyline. Now to actually do the plot next time I play.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

ZiegeDame posted:

Would 5 have been a better game if they removed Akiyama and let Haruka fight instead? Yes, absolutely. But I still like Akiyama anyway.

Where's that gif/video of Haruka doing an essence of smoking heat action.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

mmkay posted:

Where's that gif/video of Haruka doing an essence of smoking heat action.

I got you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZURNR3uuHGA

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Thank you, I only saw the one heat action previously. Good music choice.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Nuebot posted:

They cut the wrong character from the 4 roster.

absolutely not

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

While I warmed up to Tanimura by the end, his introduction is by far the most unsympathetic I've felt towards any character in the franchise. Corrupt cop immediately going out to beat up a guy who complained to his boss about him is a tremendously bad look.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
list of cool things about tanimura

1. throwing a man off a building to persuade him not to kill himself

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
The thing to remember about Tanumura is that he does not give a poo poo about Japanese crimes and criminals, he's only there to support the immigrant population of Kamurocho, which he does (relatively) admirably insofar as doing extortion to squeeze out cash he can give to Little Asia.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Shinada's fighting is the only one I really liked by the end of 5, the man's good

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

A Bystander posted:

Shinada's fighting is the only one I really liked by the end of 5, the man's good

Ban this sick filth

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

My god, Kiryu's reaction to losing at pocket circuit in Gaiden is incredible. You see him genially clapping away and think how he's so much more mature now, only for him to turn away with the most intense look of teeth-gritted rage I've ever seen on the man.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Shyrka posted:

While I warmed up to Tanimura by the end, his introduction is by far the most unsympathetic I've felt towards any character in the franchise. Corrupt cop immediately going out to beat up a guy who complained to his boss about him is a tremendously bad look.

Didn't Akiyama tell multiple women to basically prostitute themselves or they didn't want his loans badly enough? Corrupt cop was more interest, imo, than guy who's so rich he's basically just a plot device to fund everything.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

back on my Like A Dragon bullshit

i had no idea this crazy staircase was there in YLAD7, i honestly thought they added it in IW to give you a cool way to get up to Ichiban's apartment. some level designer was playing the long game with that one

one thing i really liked about YLAD7's title screen is that it changes as the plot goes on, whereas Infinite Wealth's is only ever the 'two characters standing back to back in a black void' thing. Advantage: YLAD7

conversely one thing i didn't remember about YLAD7 that is just the worst is the lack of checkpoints during dungeons/etc. that first big seiryu clan raid with multiple minibosses that goes on for like an hour and then has a 20 minute cutscene afterwards? not a single save point in there, even in the rooms with little HP/MP recovery coolers and item boxes! compare that to IW which even had the courtesy to break up especially longwinded cutscenes with a little checkpoint just in case you don't have 40 minutes to hear Chitose's entire backstory. Advantage: Infinite Wealth

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Aoyama is a real bastard, I'm really digging 5's story so far. Please tell me 6 carries over the cool food buff system.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I've only just started 6, but since it's on the new engine, so far it looks like the system that Kiwami 2 would have (5 different XP colors and hunger level).

Edit: it also has vending machine drinks with buffs.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 9, 2024

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Aoyama is a real bastard, I'm really digging 5's story so far. Please tell me 6 carries over the cool food buff system.

It’s pretty much the Kiwami 2 food system if you’ve played that, if not you fight goons the empty your belly and get five kinds of experience you dump into your stats (strength, defense, heat, HP, agility). It’s a very whelming system, if only because 6’s exp distribution for food kinda sucks, taking a lot of the fun out of fighting for actual tangible stats.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

It’s pretty much the Kiwami 2 food system if you’ve played that, if not you fight goons the empty your belly and get five kinds of experience you dump into your stats (strength, defense, heat, HP, agility). It’s a very whelming system, if only because 6’s exp distribution for food kinda sucks, taking a lot of the fun out of fighting for actual tangible stats.

Dang, I always forget 6 is on the new engine or whatever. I really like 5's system for food, real shame it's so short lived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That's something that's always bothered me about this series. They put so much effort into all these restaurants and food and drinks and then they don't quite give you a compelling reason to really dig in and savor it all. Infinite Wealth probably did it best, with the combo bonuses and conversations, but even then, once you have enough money you're just buying everything on the menu and not really paying attention what you're doing.

K2 and 5 come pretty close but it's not quite there for me either for some reason. maybe the next one will nail it