Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Crab Dad posted:

Meeting with my CMC on Friday to review.
I’ve already made sure my evals and awards are all squared away.

They're gonna give you a NAM for being on top of all of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

McNally posted:

They're gonna give you a NAM for being on top of all of this.

Y’all silly.
Just got out of my meeting. Big take away is I’m a dummy for forgetting to include my civilian occupation in the package. Apparently it’s a big deal for reserve boards and kind of important since I’m an gs IT. Anyways only got two small gaps that are being addressed and a few additional inclusions and gtg.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Crab Dad posted:

Y’all silly.
Just got out of my meeting. Big take away is I’m a dummy for forgetting to include my civilian occupation in the package. Apparently it’s a big deal for reserve boards and kind of important since I’m an gs IT. Anyways only got two small gaps that are being addressed and a few additional inclusions and gtg.

That's funny because officer boards don't give a poo poo about your civilian life. They only really care about graduate degrees being in your record if you're going for O-5+.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
The reserves giving a poo poo about your occupation is folklore passed down for years that I've never once seen bear fruit.

A guy I served with is up here because he took lcs orders and he looks old as gently caress but he's younger than me.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/paulmcleary/status/1787592297099481525?t=yx3KFv9wFA-ivBuC96BaiQ&s=19

A buddy from the Bataan ARG 2011-12 long deployment is on their right now as a Senior Chief. I have to imagine being a khaki underway is better than as a blueshirt. During that deployment, they stuffed us staff and augmentees in Snipes Castle. Every shower and toilet worked but man was that a culture shock

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/paulmcleary/status/1787592297099481525?t=yx3KFv9wFA-ivBuC96BaiQ&s=19

A buddy from the Bataan ARG 2011-12 long deployment is on their right now as a Senior Chief. I have to imagine being a khaki underway is better than as a blueshirt. During that deployment, they stuffed us staff and augmentees in Snipes Castle. Every shower and toilet worked but man was that a culture shock

Good thing we have like a thousand DDGs so we can... keep the same one on station month after month.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Don't forget to do your annual "Don't go to Russia to meet your online date" GMT due by COB at the end of the week! :chiefsay:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Don't forget to do your annual "Don't go to Russia to meet your online date" GMT due by COB at the end of the week! :chiefsay:

lol a goddamn staff sergeant was that stupid

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Hey I was in the brig with that guy!

Cool dude, lied about leave for pussy. Actually a chief that I ended up respecting.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Letter to the board and enclosures submitted. Nothing to do now but wait.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Crab Dad posted:

I have been led to believe that this means you’ll get a personal phone call at 0900 by an Admiral congratulating you on your promotion to E9 or something tomorrow.

Good luck anyway.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

Good luck, you don't need it as you're a shoe in

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Nystral posted:

I have been led to believe that this means you’ll get a personal phone call at 0900 by an Admiral congratulating you on your promotion to E9 or something tomorrow.

Good luck anyway.

MCPON crabdad when?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I work with a guy who was a master chief in the navy and whenever he gets too navy for things I give him a solid aye aye shipmate or aye aye master chief and it really reminds him to chill out we're an NGO now and most of the volunteers are retired white people.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Elendil004 posted:

I work with a guy who was a master chief in the navy and whenever he gets too navy for things I give him a solid aye aye shipmate or aye aye master chief and it really reminds him to chill out we're an NGO now and most of the volunteers are retired white people.

My coworker is a medically retired E3 marine (he tripped down a hillside in Afghanistan) and he insists on calling me chief from day one of working with him over a year ago. I just sort of cringe because if I called him sarg I’d most likely make his day/week/month.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Crab Dad posted:

My coworker is a medically retired E3 marine (he tripped down a hillside in Afghanistan) and he insists on calling me chief from day one of working with him over a year ago. I just sort of cringe because if I called him sarg I’d most likely make his day/week/month.

Call him "corp" and defend by saying you thought he had fallen down the career ladder when he was in.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
My plan after retirement was to call anyone I worked with that I didn't like "Chief". My first job post grad school was at an equine-assisted mental health facility. My first day there I was being introduced to the horses.

"That one there is the oldest horse we have. He was about to be slaughtered at an auction house and one of our friends bought him and brought him here. He doesn't get around very well anymore, has a hard time seeing and generally doesn't know where he is sometimes. He needs extra patience."

His name was indeed Chief. So my days still started with me saying "Good morning, Chief" as a civilian.

Clearly I was a Disgruntled E6 that took my angst out on the goats, which made me a poo poo bag. Never mind that I had some pretty good reasons to distrust the Goat Locker. Anyway during one of the first days of SARP Counselor Training, the instructor was talking about biases, and that we all have them. Then he asked if anyone was aware of any biases they have so I raised my hand. Didn't realize I was going to be the only one of 28 students (2 E5s, about 10 E6 and the rest 7-9) to do so. And I definitely wasn't expecting the shotgun question of "ok, so what bias do you have?" I was on the spot so I just said, "I.....don't like...Chiefs." The classroom was full of HARUMPHing and remember this is like day 2 of 10 weeks. One of the Master Chiefs did approach me and say that he was sorry to hear that and if there was anything he could do, to let him know. I told him that it wasn't everyone of course, and I had worked for some very good Chiefs. But on the whole I trusted them way less than the O gangers for whatever reason.

Anywell, we started with 28 students and ended with around 12 after 10 weeks. Most of the washouts were the Khakis. One Master Chief was in my small group and he REFUSED to use first names so they were like, back to the fleet with you. Another SC, the biggest mouth breather in the class, was sitting at his desk and he told a couple other Chiefs to "just do what they say here and when you get to your command, you know how to lead and act. This touchy feelly poo poo is bullshit" or something to that effect. Mind you, we knew that the classroom had an open mike directly to the office of the guy in charge of training us. He was gone that afternoon.

In conclussion, Chiefs are a land of contrast

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011

Deus Ex Macklemore posted:

In conclussion, Chiefs are a land of contrast

Yeah. I got out almost 20 years ago and went to the vendor to work in engineering, and over the past couple of decades I've become an SME on certain aspects of our system. I was pretty humble when I transitioned to civilian life and I knew fully well that there was *a lot* of stuff I didn't truly understand.

New arrivals fresh from the fleet are a mixed bag. Many of them think they understand things they do not understand, but honestly I'm not entirely certain it maps to seniority. I see a lot of former E5s show up thinking they're hot poo poo, and I've also seen a lot of former khakis show up thinking they're hot poo poo--but I wouldn't say I see more of the latter than I do the former.

Now, the ones WHO CAN'T SHUT THE gently caress UP about having been a Chief--they're almost certain to be problem children.

(On the other side of the coin, I've worked with people who I didn't know were Chiefs--hell, who I didn't even know were in the Navy. They show up, grind away and eventually I'm like "you've done this before, haven't you?" The ones who say "yeah I got out a couple years ago after 20" always impress me because a lot of khakis can't go five minutes without reminding everyone.)

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I've worked with a lot of good chiefs, but only one good Chief's Quarters

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gonna be volunteering at Los Angeles fleet week this year.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Here's a long story that at it's best is just a dumbass liar and at worse a dumbass stolen valor dipshit.

We are getting our driveway redone and the crew was here this week doing it. I mentioned to the owner of the company, who is working this project, that I ws jealous that him and his boys got paid to dig in the dirt. He said that he could hire me so I could play along but I told him that the VA has asked me politely to please not work. He asked what branch I was in and I said Navy and he said he was Special Warfare, that he was a Frogman. I asked him what his rate was and as he walked away I swear he said "LT First Class." I didn't push it because they were working. Also I'm old and there is a super good chance I misheard him.

I asked him later where he was stationed and he said "Coronado" very quietly. Then he said he deployed to Afghanistan and was part of Operation Overwatch to "look after the pussy-rear end Marines." This was the second or third time he had disparaged the Marines for being "pussies". The first time was when I mentioned our 93 year old former Marine neighbor and how I wsa "still kind of scared of him" with a laugh. He made sure to say that he wasn't afraid of any Pussy Marine. I know I've said it before but a couple of years ago he was on his way outside with his machete because one of the other neighbors was threatening his girlfriend with a bat and beating up her car. Obviously I'm not ACTUALLY afraid of him, but he is still crazy as gently caress.

That night I got in touch with a good friend of mine that was a Seal Uber Driver guy with the SWICC pin or whatever they call it. He got in touch with his old CO because apparently there is a list of everyone who made it through BUDS or something like that. You guys aren't going to believe this but he wasn't on the list anywhere. Normally I would keep loving with a guy like this, asking more and more detailed questions, but they aren't finished with my driveway yet (dug it up, laid a poo poo ton of stone, will be back in a couple of weeks to finish the job) and I want a good driveway.

So I have no clue if this guy went to bootcamp and failed out or what, but it was loving great to encounter one of these assholes in real life. The last time this happened was a former Army guy who in 8 years had about 12 different jobs including helicopter pilot as an enlisted person. What a hero.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

MarcusSA posted:

Gonna be volunteering at Los Angeles fleet week this year.

I'm working it too for city of LA. We're doing an disaster exercise followed by a seminar on the Iowa. I was on the Iowa in December and the smell of the head instantly took me back 24 years to when I was still in.

Maybe I'll buy a DD 214 veteran hat to wear around.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I'm working it too for city of LA. We're doing an disaster exercise followed by a seminar on the Iowa. I was on the Iowa in December and the smell of the head instantly took me back 24 years to when I was still in.

Maybe I'll buy a DD 214 veteran hat to wear around.

Boo well I’m still going to the NYC event for anyone in town.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
If the phony seal guy is using that in any way to promote his business you can let the seal foundation know about it. They may pay him a visit and publicy humiliate him. They enjoy doing that.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

King of Bees posted:

If the phony seal guy is using that in any way to promote his business you can let the seal foundation know about it. They may pay him a visit and publicy humiliate him. They enjoy doing that.

No, not yet. When I talked to him on the phone he said they were a "Minority Hiring" Contractor and I almost asked if he offered Disabled Vet discount but I'm not that guy. Usually. Seems odd he didn't lead with "Vet-owned" business.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

No, not yet. When I talked to him on the phone he said they were a "Minority Hiring" Contractor and I almost asked if he offered Disabled Vet discount but I'm not that guy. Usually. Seems odd he didn't lead with "Vet-owned" business.

Could be your garden variety slug that just tells people what they think they want to hear.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Here's a long story that at it's best is just a dumbass liar and at worse a dumbass stolen valor dipshit.

We are getting our driveway redone and the crew was here this week doing it. I mentioned to the owner of the company, who is working this project, that I ws jealous that him and his boys got paid to dig in the dirt. He said that he could hire me so I could play along but I told him that the VA has asked me politely to please not work. He asked what branch I was in and I said Navy and he said he was Special Warfare, that he was a Frogman. I asked him what his rate was and as he walked away I swear he said "LT First Class." I didn't push it because they were working. Also I'm old and there is a super good chance I misheard him.

I asked him later where he was stationed and he said "Coronado" very quietly. Then he said he deployed to Afghanistan and was part of Operation Overwatch to "look after the pussy-rear end Marines." This was the second or third time he had disparaged the Marines for being "pussies". The first time was when I mentioned our 93 year old former Marine neighbor and how I wsa "still kind of scared of him" with a laugh. He made sure to say that he wasn't afraid of any Pussy Marine. I know I've said it before but a couple of years ago he was on his way outside with his machete because one of the other neighbors was threatening his girlfriend with a bat and beating up her car. Obviously I'm not ACTUALLY afraid of him, but he is still crazy as gently caress.

That night I got in touch with a good friend of mine that was a Seal Uber Driver guy with the SWICC pin or whatever they call it. He got in touch with his old CO because apparently there is a list of everyone who made it through BUDS or something like that. You guys aren't going to believe this but he wasn't on the list anywhere. Normally I would keep loving with a guy like this, asking more and more detailed questions, but they aren't finished with my driveway yet (dug it up, laid a poo poo ton of stone, will be back in a couple of weeks to finish the job) and I want a good driveway.

So I have no clue if this guy went to bootcamp and failed out or what, but it was loving great to encounter one of these assholes in real life. The last time this happened was a former Army guy who in 8 years had about 12 different jobs including helicopter pilot as an enlisted person. What a hero.

It's possible he's a BUD/S dud, but a BUD/S dud wouldn't make the mistake of saying "LT First Class", ranks are drilled into you, like week 1-2 of boot camp, before anything else, you're not even through boot camp and on to BUD/S yet. Guy's an idiot and a liar, and if he's using that to promote his business or anything it's one of those stolen valor things you hear about/see.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 18, 2024

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I have a friend who is getting ready to retire and ask questions about transitioning from active duty to MSC. Is there anybody here that would not mind connecting via email with my buddy with any questions he may have?

I appreciate this in advance. He's a good dude.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

You should get him in a room with some marines and ask them all about their time in the service

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

I have a friend who is getting ready to retire and ask questions about transitioning from active duty to MSC. Is there anybody here that would not mind connecting via email with my buddy with any questions he may have?

I appreciate this in advance. He's a good dude.

If he's looking to sail as a CIVMAR can PM me. Crab Dad also knows a bit since he interacts with them a bit more I think. If he's just looking for the military to civilian license thing the USCG does thats online, I've never looked beyond the USCG site but iasknmc@uscg.mil had usually been pretty helpful about any licensing issues I've had. This has changed a bit, especially with the pandemic. Feels like resources are getting scarce at the NMC. The printers they used for our documents previously gave us passport like books but those all died so our licenses now come on a slightly fancy piece of paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I can only talk about quality of life issues and my knowledge is getting a few years old. While I worked alongside of them for a year ultimately I decided not to apply because i have family at home still.
But if I was single…