Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The little twist that lower decks is in fact a follow-on to lower decks is a great realisation too, even if it wasn't also part of a character arc moment that had clearly been planned for four seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Lol, at the of the episode, Culber walks in on Book playing a monochromatic "Asteroids" knockoff on his viewscreen, complete with vector-inspired graphics and bleepy bloop noises.

CULBER: Why don't you play the simulator on the holodeck?
BOOK: I can always tell it's not a real ship.

Book minimizes his window of flying polygons.

The real problem is that the holodeck doesn't get the buttgroove of his chair right.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I was planning on signing up for Paramount but then all that news about them pulling the other Trek show spooked me. Also, there are too many streaming services and I don't like it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

LRADIKAL posted:

I'm pretty shocked that people in this thread haven't TRIED Lower Decks. People are torture watching Discovery and Picard and being like "Voyager was... good?" but haven't watched one episode of the comedy cartoon version? The thread that loved Seth McFarland's TNG knockoff?

I put it off for years, and only decided to watch it a few months ago.

I wasn't interested for so long because every cartoon since Rick & Morty has felt too samey. A hyper competent, too-smart-for-their-own-good lead who is really smug and dismissive of everyone around them, but it's all a facade because they're secretly an emotional wreck. All the previews and early stuff I saw from Lower Decks made it seem like mostly that same template. Plus all other nutrek that existed at that point had been utter trash. Trying to combine those two things didn't fill me with confidence.

It still has a lot of Rick and Morty influence, but turns out its actually pretty good. Ultimately the main reason I gave it a chance was the DS9 episode. When I'm done I'm eventually going to give SNW a chance because of the Lower Decks episode.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Amazon Prime had the first season of SNW for free some months ago, and I absolutely loved it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ferengi Stunbed Entrepreneur just absolutely failing at refuting all the complaints

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I could see thud as a ds9 or ld episode

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Worf: something something something sense-oars

naem
May 29, 2011

redshirt posted:

Ferengi Stunbed Entrepreneur just absolutely failing at refuting all the complaints

because of, the implication

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

oh, worf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoKSgctYzjM

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

LRADIKAL posted:

I'm pretty shocked that people in this thread haven't TRIED Lower Decks. People are torture watching Discovery and Picard and being like "Voyager was... good?" but haven't watched one episode of the comedy cartoon version? The thread that loved Seth McFarland's TNG knockoff?

Lower Decks makes me involuntarily cringe too much to enjoy it, but the people making it have their hearts in the right place. I suppose for me part of the issue also is that picard/discovery have killed any interest I have in further Star Trek stories and that's not really fair to LD

The Orville was a great show in its own right because it sucked me in with its world and its characters the way Star Trek used to but without the baggage of now being a lovely brand with no creative Integrity anymore

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Tunicate posted:

it is the sort of thing quark would do

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I complimentary hesperat

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Quark would make sure to mention the reliable companionship of a holosuite.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Oh god. S7 E14, Neelix fucks :cry: :cry: :cry:

Was not prepared

And he used Tuvox’s quarters for his stabbing’ cabin

WHY

The General
Mar 4, 2007

For that scene afterwards :laugh:

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I'm glad neelix fucks that one time.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I’m sorry to be the one to tell you this, but whenever Neelix is not on camera, he is having sex.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

When Tuvok also isn't on camera...

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Oh god. S7 E14, Neelix fucks :cry: :cry: :cry:

Was not prepared

And he used Tuvox’s quarters for his stabbing’ cabin

WHY

Just be thankful that Klingon was roughly his own age and level of development.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

She was at least 18.

So in Neelix terms, a cougar.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Respect to Voyager for having Neelix pissing Tuvok off well into S7 in the most irritating and humiliating ways. And Neelix will always have the memory of Tuvok being his best buddy.:lol:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You know Neelix banged out a few more kids and the first one was named Tuvok in his honor.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Someone help me out here: Somewhere else on The Internet I have been called out for suggesting that Marc Alaimo himself was creeped out by how much fans loved Gul Dukat. I'm pretty sure I did not imagine that and it came from somewhere so give me a source.

My alt.star-trek honor depends on it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't know about the actor specifically, but apparently the producers/writers didn't like that some fans liked Gul Dukat and then explicitly made him more evil on the show.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Fabulousity posted:

Someone help me out here: Somewhere else on The Internet I have been called out for suggesting that Marc Alaimo himself was creeped out by how much fans loved Gul Dukat. I'm pretty sure I did not imagine that and it came from somewhere so give me a source.

Ira Steven Behr said something like that, but I dunno about Alaimo.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Fabulousity posted:

I'm afraid you may be wrong on this one:

From Memory Alpha:

Behr observed that, throughout the seven years of portraying Dukat, Alaimo always maintained his assertion that Dukat was, at heart, a good person. "Until the very end, he wanted Dukat to be the hero of Deep Space Nine." (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion (p. 696))

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't know about the actor specifically, but apparently the producers/writers didn't like that some fans liked Gul Dukat and then explicitly made him more evil on the show.

I always thought this was a big misstep. The fact Dukat is so convinced he’s doing the moral thing and has a tiny shriveled burnt speck of conscience he has to keep stamping down is what makes him such a great villain. Making him accept that he’s evil undoes the whole point of the character.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

counterfeitsaint posted:

Here's the thing with the D-7 that turns up. The population on that ship is... not high, and they've been going for a long time.

Every Klingon on that ship is inbred as fuuuuuck.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

galagazombie posted:

I always thought this was a big misstep. The fact Dukat is so convinced he’s doing the moral thing and has a tiny shriveled burnt speck of conscience he has to keep stamping down is what makes him such a great villain. Making him accept that he’s evil undoes the whole point of the character.
Yeah once you get past 'Waltz', he just isn't the same. The only good episode with him after that is the one where he is running the Pah Wraith cult on Empok Nor.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I don't really disagree with making sure nobody likes Hitler. It sucks, but it had to be done. RIP.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

It's funny 'cause Dukat always talks about how progressive and merciful he was compared to others but doesn't really name anyone as the real villainous mastermind.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I’m sorry to be the one to tell you this, but whenever Neelix is not on camera, he is having sex.

the question is having sex with what?

its the food isnt it

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Regular Wario posted:

the question is having sex with what?

its the food isnt it

How else do you think the hair pasta maintains its luxurious shine and volume?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Here's the thing with the D-7 that turns up. The population on that ship is... not high, and they've been going for a long time.

Every Klingon on that ship is inbred as fuuuuuck.

But you’re forgetting about Klingon biological redundancies. They have extra genes for exactly this scenario.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Extra chromosomes

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Klingons live a long time, so they're only half as inbred as you think

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I'm afraid you may be wrong on this one:

From Memory Alpha:

Behr observed that, throughout the seven years of portraying Dukat, Alaimo always maintained his assertion that Dukat was, at heart, a good person. "Until the very end, he wanted Dukat to be the hero of Deep Space Nine." (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion (p. 696))

Alaimo would justify Dukat's actions out of character so I don't think he was trying to rein it in. Like he was trying to get them to write a Kira romance so he could make out with Nana Visitor

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

Tunicate posted:

haa holy poo poo just the other day a friend was discribing his (extremely gullible sounding) friend going through exactly this. Quarked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Ugh imagine working at a restaurant desperate enough to risk that shitstorm just to get a couple one-tops slowly nursing an appetizer and a glass of wine