Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol that is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQHucgG6es4

naem
May 29, 2011

alexandriao posted:

Wheres Shax

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

redshirt posted:

I don't have Paramount

Neither do I but I'm still a nerd.

It's not that difficult.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

Neither do I but I'm still a nerd.

It's not that difficult.

Gasps!

But what you imply would break the law!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The General posted:

When handling any firearms, it's important to do safety checks.

Explicitly telling your peons to check to make sure is another level of caution and makes sure that Ensign Ricky doesn't accidentally melt somebodies arm off because the phaser he grabbed from the locker was last used for boring a hole in rock to save miners on Trovab 6.

My headcanon (which didn't exist until now) is that when the weapons go into their racks in the armory to recharge, they're automatically set to the safest setting: minimal stun with the safety on.

Except on Voyager, of course.

If you're a freak like Geordi who keeps a phaser in your dresser like that one episode with the shapeshifter (just looked it up: Aquiel), then who knows what your phaser is kept on. (Also, Memory Alpha in the synopsis of that episode says Riker states all weapons in weapons lockers are automatically set to "level one," so I guess my headcanon is right.)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*Wakes up at 2AM
*pees in the sonic shower
*Stuns self back to sleep

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

redshirt posted:

Gasps!

But what you imply would break the law!

In the Star Trek universe Star Trek would be free hence it is ethical to steal it.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

In space no one can hear you stream.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Endless Trash posted:

In the Star Trek universe Star Trek would be free hence it is ethical to steal it.

Stealing? More like replicating. :smug:

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Stealing? More like replicating. :smug:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*Is sent to 100 years in the Mind Prison for downloading an episode of Season 4 Discovery

Kurash
May 12, 2008

I got sick of Mariner by S2E1 and stopped watching. The series also felt a little too bait-y at times, tricking me into caring about something before revealing it to be a gag. Not usually a deal breaker but it felt like my chain was being yanked far too often.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

I'll blame Rick & Morty's likely influence on some of the choices. It had some pretty good writing otherwise.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

But Discovery is the mind prison

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kurash posted:

I'll blame Rick & Morty's likely influence on some of the choices. It had some pretty good writing otherwise.
McMahon did work on Rick and Morty, but Lower Decks gets better as it progresses

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Never watched Lower Decks but that clip pretty much guaranteed I will never start

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I am also a self-serious loser who hates fun

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I feel in good company then

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*back from the Mind Prison, feeling great!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I legit watched all of Season 1 of Disco on Netflix in Rome, because it was available on non American Netflix. Legally.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Sorry No. 6 I got high and had a sandwich and now I'm sorry I called you a loser, we're all star trek fans here

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Squiggle posted:

Sorry No. 6 I got high and had a sandwich and now I'm sorry I called you a loser, we're all star trek fans here

IDIC

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

galagazombie posted:

I’m sure there’s long term irreversible damage to your nervous system if you get hit with the stun setting too much too often . Getting hit once or twice with months in-between won’t do anything, but getting zapped on a near weekly basis for years will have you end up as next episodes moral quandary/metaphor.
I can imagine it now…

*Guest Star convulsing on floor*.
Riker: Just what the hell is happening doctor?
Crusher: *crouching and waving medical tricorder* He gone in Neuro-phasic shock from that stun blast.
Riker: That’s impossible. No phaser could generate that kind of damage!
Crusher: Not normally no, but large, regular, exposure over a long enough time could degrade the nervous systems trans-physic integrity.
Riker: But how could that have happened?
Data: I believe I may have discovered a solution Commander. I have discovered that the Ambassadors bed has been illegally modified with phaser emitters set to go off at the 24 hour intervals corresponding to the start of his homeworlds night. I believe he may have been using the stun setting as a kind of sleep aid.
Crusher: That would explain the damage.
Riker: Like shearing a sheep too often till you skin it.

I can't help but feel that every single person posting in this thread would be better at writing an episode of trek than any writer that's ever looked at Discovery

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

alexandriao posted:

I can't help but feel that every single person posting in this thread would be better at writing an episode of trek than any writer that's ever looked at Discovery

This is inarguably true, even for the people that are still bothering to watch that show

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

"The Stun Bed" is still legal in 30 star systems.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

you know the breen don't look that bad without the helmet on. green crystal skull face. kind of badass. kind of reminds me of a robitussin gel cap.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
The thread could write an episode of Trek in separate posts exquisite-corpse-style and be better than Disco

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

if this thread wrote an episode about the troubles and drama the crew is having with the new stun beds then that would be better than anything written in the new trek era

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Come to think of it, I can't name a single green Star Trek alien that's ever not looked dorky.

Orions? Give me a break. The Gorn, star of the most famous lame TV fight of all time? Whenever they put all that green lighting all over the Borg?

They just need to stay away from green.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty shocked that people in this thread haven't TRIED Lower Decks. People are torture watching Discovery and Picard and being like "Voyager was... good?" but haven't watched one episode of the comedy cartoon version? The thread that loved Seth McFarland's TNG knockoff?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lower Decks' Wej Duj is genuinely one of the best entries in the Trek canon.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 4, 2024

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
"No Small Parts" is better than anything Discovery has done.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Paramount plus is like $12 a month, and you can binge LD in less than a month.

There’s a cheaper version with ads for $6 iirc, but they don’t even bother to time the ads with breaks in the show. It’s torture.

Paramount plus is also a piece of poo poo app but it’s got a lot of Trek on it and some cheesy new Westerns too.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

NuBeavis and Butthead is hilarious, and NuFrasier isn't the worst thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My Second Re-Reg posted:

"No Small Parts" is better than anything Discovery has done.
I could probably find 10 LD episodes that are better than any single Disco episode

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Come to think of it, I can't name a single green Star Trek alien that's ever not looked dorky.

Orions? Give me a break. The Gorn, star of the most famous lame TV fight of all time? Whenever they put all that green lighting all over the Borg?

They just need to stay away from green.

Spock. :colbert:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

This weeks Disco pretty good :eyepop:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Lol, at the of the episode, Culber walks in on Book playing a monochromatic "Asteroids" knockoff on his viewscreen, complete with vector-inspired graphics and bleepy bloop noises.

CULBER: Why don't you play the simulator on the holodeck?
BOOK: I can always tell it's not a real ship.

Book minimizes his window of flying polygons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Just finished up Voy s1 again and “get the cheese to sickbay” still makes me lol every time I hear it.