Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

He also still wants to use the old NUC as an external hard drive, is that possible or would we have to pull it out of the box?

If he's only looking to access the files and doesn't want to gently caress with setting it up as a file share I reckon pulling the drive(s) and using a usb enclosure like this 2.5" sata enclosure and/or this m.2 nvme/sata enclosure would be better (this is assuming that nuc uses m.2 and not msata). Old nucs are great servers if he's willing to janitor it a bit but sounds like he's trying to keep it simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't think the GPU compatibility changed, or not much at least - you can already put in 3.5 or 4 slot cards (my 4090 is exactly 3-slot so I could fit a set of slim fans on top). But I agree there's no reason for me to go back to the A4 size cases except for portable gimmick builds.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I’m sorta headed the other way, I don’t see a reason to make anything bigger than mITX now that add in cards beyond a GPU and custom water cooling are basically dead. Although I’m mostly talking about cases where you can still add a 280 AIO in.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 24, 2024

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

orcane posted:

I don't think the GPU compatibility changed, or not much at least - you can already put in 3.5 or 4 slot cards (my 4090 is exactly 3-slot so I could fit a set of slim fans on top). But I agree there's no reason for me to go back to the A4 size cases except for portable gimmick builds.

I have an opposite problem because I got an incredible deal (MSRP) on a liquid cooled 4090, so finding something that fits that is challenging.

pentium166
Oct 15, 2012
Yeah, the main reason I still have a big ATX case for my gaming PC is the stack of increasingly antique 3.5" hard drives in it. Once I can swing some big SSDs to replace all of my current storage, I'd like to get a much smaller case. I'll settle for smaller mATX cases if it means cheaper/more variety for motherboards, though.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

If you aren't using a riser for a sandwich style case, the video cards are almost all 3-4 slots, so the height of an mATX case is a non-issue. The extra width is basically a non-issue, since the PSU has to go somehwhere, and they're more and more being put in the front of the case.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

According to him, his backups are an external drive (I don’t remember if it’s hard disk or solid state) plus BackBlaze for the internal SSD. Doesn’t sound like a backup strategy to me at all, but he’ll need to be convinced otherwise. What advantages does a NAS + RAID1 have over an external drive and cloud (aside from the obvious answer of “a lot”)?
BackBlaze is a fine backup solution, I've been using them myself for years. Just make sure it's set to back up the data he cares about.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Collateral Damage posted:

BackBlaze is a fine backup solution, I've been using them myself for years. Just make sure it's set to back up the data he cares about.

quote:

I use BackBlaze, but it only covers the CPU, not the external hard drive. to cover the external drive requires an extra payment.

He considers himself an intermediate user, so forgive any misunderstandings on his part. :v:

It sounds like his options depend on if he plans on using AI or any other GPU-reliant functionality. If so, then the MS-01 would be the better choice as it apparently supports the addition of an Nvidia GPU, plus the multiple drive bays/slots are nice. If not, the Venus 790 would apparently be more than enough, plus it has a VESA mount which is pretty cool Gordon. (Though he could get the MS-01 anyway and just not add a GPU, right?) If he really doesn’t wanna think about this poo poo at all, then I’ll tell him to suck it up and get used to macOS.

If I understood correctly, then I’ll run these options by him. Thanks!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

DIY Perks went and did a thing. It's neat and incredibly intricate... but that's an insane amount of work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ6ueTe8KQM

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

retirement goals, right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

but god imagine how you would feel when you started to get a little intermittent noise from one of the fans