Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Fit on old wooden doors like that can be a real pain in the rear end, because you have to watch like a hawk if you plane or trim at the height of summer when it's sticking, because a bit too much, and yowza, you have a humungous gap come New Years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

This is why hobbit doors are optimal

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

Interior wall I'll be working with:

Can't believe I'm typing this, but with that wood on the walls this might be one of the only times where a sliding barn door wouldn't look out of place.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Enos Cabell posted:

Can't believe I'm typing this, but with that wood on the walls this might be one of the only times where a sliding barn door wouldn't look out of place.

But it would still be poo poo at being a door.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Enos Cabell posted:

Never sliding barn door.

(Except maybe on a barn.)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I hadn't considered it here before, but it just might be the best solution here.

I mean, the main thing I need it to do is keep the cats out of the workshop they love to knock things around in, and it seems like it would accomplish that? Hmm.

I guess the inconvenience is that its only properly closeable from one side? Which wouldn't be ideal.

Esc Ctrl PgUp
Jan 1, 2023

Cats will absolutely find their way through the bottom of a sliding door that isn’t latched tight.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Esc Ctrl PgUp posted:

Cats will absolutely find their way through the bottom of a sliding door that isn’t latched tight.

And if it's heavy enough, possibly hurt themselves in the process.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just got the rebate from my utility for putting in a high efficiency hvac and smart (zwave-only) thermostat. Not going to complain about $600, that can go right back into paying it off.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Speaking of sliding barn doors, I'm not a big fan but having trouble convincing my husband of a viable 2nd option, given how the desk sits a swing door would obscure him quite a bit. Is there a better type of door option? Moving the desk somewhere else is technically possible, but there aren't a ton of options with current furniture+this room is about to become a baby space

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Spikes32 posted:

Speaking of sliding barn doors, I'm not a big fan but having trouble convincing my husband of a viable 2nd option, given how the desk sits a swing door would obscure him quite a bit. Is there a better type of door option? Moving the desk somewhere else is technically possible, but there aren't a ton of options with current furniture+this room is about to become a baby space

A retractable mesh baby gate? Or do you need an actual door door.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Spikes32 posted:

It's not an easy solution but double pocket doors could work nicely here.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
We need a door door for sound proofing. Hubby working at the desk is ... Not quiet during his six am meetings. I would like better sound proofing too to block the TV in the den.

Double pocket doors would require rewiring the light switch and power outlet though wouldn't it?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Double doors that swing into the hallway?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Spikes32 posted:

We need a door door for sound proofing. Hubby working at the desk is ... Not quiet during his six am meetings. I would like better sound proofing too to block the TV in the den.

Double pocket doors would require rewiring the light switch and power outlet though wouldn't it?

A barn door is going to be better than empty air at sound proofing, but still pretty bad at it.

edit: is there a particular reason why you need/want that really big opening? You could frame in a normal sized door frame in the existing space. Have it open to the left so it's not in your husband's face when open.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

HappyHippo posted:

Double doors that swing into the hallway?

The hallway is the main entry to the house (the front door is behind the right wall) so if they were open they would block that door. I wonder if any barn doors are made of better sound insulation materials. Pocket door is probably the actually right choice , several other spaces in the house have them, but would be much much more involved to install.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Barn doors just float in space and aren't actually sealing against the walls which is why they are so terrible at most things but particularly sound blocking, the construction of the door is kind of immaterial. Assuming all the wires on that desk are plugged into that same wall, I think you'd have a problem with a barn door here anyway because it would need to either go onto the wall where the desk is (blocking an outlet), or the wall where there is a light switch (blocking the light switch), unless you were planning to have it on the other side of the wall.

If a pocket door is not an option I'd probably do some kind of french doors so it won't feel like the space is so closed off and you would not be blocking the area as much when the doors are open compared to a single in-swing door.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 2, 2024

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
There's another outlet we could connect the desk to on the adjacent wall. But good point about barn doors not actually sealing against the wall. Time to look into quotes for getting pocket doors I guess

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Spikes32 posted:

There's another outlet we could connect the desk to on the adjacent wall. But good point about barn doors not actually sealing against the wall. Time to look into quotes for getting pocket doors I guess

Overhead garage door. Do it

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BigFactory posted:

Overhead garage door. Do it

Germany has these shutters on most houses it seemed like: https://www.hawkeyewindows.com/european-window-and-door/rolladen-rolling-shutters/

Just put one of those up, added benefit: room now doubles as a panic room

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Spikes32 posted:

Is there any reason you need to have that big a doorway? You could also frame in a smaller door in that space. Have it open to the left and it would solve the problem of the open door blocking in the desk, while letting you close the room off from the rest of the house.

Pocket doors are awesome and it's going to be the more aesthetically pleasing choice, but putting in a smaller door is probably going to be cheaper.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I would put in french doors with lots of glass to let light through, then use the pins to keep the right door almost always closed, the left door would be the main operating door and not interfere with the desk. On occasions where you want both open, then open both.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I wonder if a heavy curtain might be a viable option here? I don't have a good feel for how it'd compare in terms of sound deadening to the other options being offered here...it'd certainly be easy to install and wouldn't require re-framing the opening.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Those walls are getting ripped apart if you go with pocket doors.

They need a pocket, which means the studs all have to come out and be turned 90-degrees, and there have to be two rows of them to make it.

So the wall will be nearly twice as thick as it is now.

Moving the wiring will be the least of your concerns.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Alternative: How about doubled folding doors that open into the room? I quite like the folding doors my house has a lot better than the pocket doors I had in the past. They wouldn't risk hitting the desk and wouldn't come out as far, and your doorway is more than wide enough they wouldnt overly narrow it either. Way, way better than narrowing such a nice large hallway opening to a normal width door, imo.

You could also just get a heavy curtain and tie it up and out of the way when he doesnt need the soundproofing. For that big an entry it would probably be the easiest AND most effective solution, if you like that style.

As an idea of how it would look here is the double folding door I have in my house:

I also have folding doors elsewhere throughout the house and I quite like them. Like I said, way better than pocket doors

Speaking pocket doors, they were genuinely a major source of childhood trauma for both me and my brother! (different events and different pocket doors too, lol, but like I still legit have nightmares involving them). I do not recommend anyone get pocket doors ever for any reason, they are the worst. Just too much that can go wrong, and ugly to boot.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 3, 2024

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I just got a folding doors look ok. So that might actually work out. And you're right it would be nice not to narrow the entry just to use a normal sized door. The idea of widening the entire set of walls, is not fun .

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Spikes32 posted:

The hallway is the main entry to the house (the front door is behind the right wall) so if they were open they would block that door. I wonder if any barn doors are made of better sound insulation materials. Pocket door is probably the actually right choice , several other spaces in the house have them, but would be much much more involved to install.

how do you install pocket doors on existing walls?

is the trick that you don't, and instead you build new walls to accommodate the doors?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Uh

Yeah. You have to make a pocket.

Without a wood stretcher, it gets complicated fast.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

While my folding doors are cheap and ugly I think a good folding door can easily be one of the most aesthetically pleasing style of doors, creating a nice non blocking decorative "frame" for the door when open. Although who knows how much those pretty ones cost

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
It's called a pocket door because the door stows into its pocket dimension when you open it.

(What I want for my hallway portal is something like a barn door, but it can seal into the opening somehow and then the barn door should also have a smaller normal door inside it.)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Vault door! I have actually seen a door like that and it was very cool but no idea whay they are called or where you might find one.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 3, 2024

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

buy an old bank, they usually come with one

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

GlyphGryph posted:

Vault door! I have actually seen a doors like that and it was very cool but no idea whay they are called or where you might find one.

You mean like an iris?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Nah, literally like in Fallout where it rolls to where the opening is, then seals down into it.

I wouldn't mind it being clunky since it would only be used when we had company.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah I was imagining the slide and seal of a fallout style vault door, but with a normal walk through in it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Folding doors have the same basic problems as barn doors do re: huge air gaps that make them terrible at either sound dampening or keeping hold/cold air on one side of them. Admittedly they do look better than barn doors, but that's not saying much, pretty much anything better than tacking an old beach towel to the door frame with finishing nails looks better than a barn door.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

My non-closet folding doors have less of an air gap than several of my standard interior doors do, for what its worth. They do perfectly fine at both sound dampening (too good, actually) and keeping in hot air (at least the ones installed on my bathroom).

A perfectly installed folding door may still have more of an air gap than a perfectly installed normal door, sure, but for the stated purpose they would be more than sufficient I think, and they have other functional advantages.

They have the advantage of looking better than normal doors, too, not just barn doors, if you have a wide doorway that spends most of its time open, imo.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 3, 2024

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Bead curtains need to make a comeback

We have a barn door separating our downstairs family room from a large spare room (entry is about 2x as wide as a normal door) which I use as a workout room and god drat that was handy for moving everything in but it would suck if the spare room were used as an actual bedroom.

Minimal sound isolation, huge rear end gap around perimeter, no real way to lock it so it doesn't look like crap.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 3, 2024

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
We're getting our front and side "yards" replaced with 2" compacted decomposed granite. The guys doing it said we needed to kill off all of the grass/weeds first before they come in and remove the dead plant material and bring in the stone. They recommended spraying with roundup until everything is completely dead. Looks like there are a bunch of glyphosate options at domyown.com, is the right answer to get the cheapest concentrate, dilute it per the instructions and go to town? This seems to be popular, am I on the right track?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I would either do pocket doors (best sound protection and best visual look, but most invasive and expensive to install) or double French doors (much easier to install, look fine, allow light to pass through, and provide good sound protection. The easiest thing with sound is closing the air gap on top and bottom of any door.