Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

We're thinking at getting one of those inexpensive 10' pools to throw up for a couple months each summer for the kids to splash around in. Problem is, the only part of my lawn that's even approaching level is near the street. Which is noisy.

I've got a 5' wood fence up, and saplings planted behind it, which should eventually do some work cutting down on the noise, but we're several years away from that. So for the time being, I've effectively only got a bare single-board-thickness fence between my lawn and the busy road. The location in question is probably 60-80ft from the road.

I see people tossing around the term mass loaded vinyl, which is apparently a sheet of vinyl that's been impregnated with some special sand etc to effectively cut down on noise level. It's not the cheapest stuff though. I've also seen other people mention using roofing rolls of various sorts.

Anyone have experience with trying to cut down road noise? What worked, didn't work, how high you built, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I got a gas line question.

I want to be able to center my oven under the vent hood. This gas line was installed when there was a bank of cabinets there with a stovetop. Now it's blocking the oven from getting in the right position.

After some research I thought I'd get a gas outlet box and install it in the wall behind the oven: https://www.lowes.com/pd/PRO-FLEX-Quarter-Turn-Ball-Valve-Mip-Gas-Outlet-Box/1001235038

It seemed simple to just move the supply pipe and run it straight up inside the wall. However, the situation down in the laundry room isn't ideal. It's open ceiling, which is great. But the green wall in the kitchen sits on top of a big double beam. So it's not just a matter of drilling through a subfloor and a 2x4 floor plate. You can see it here:

Measuring from the edge of the pipe it looks like drilling up just next to the beam would get me a hole that runs in the surface of the green wall.

There are some angled holes drilled in the beam for electrical wires. It doesn't feel right to drill an angled 1 inch hole (or whatever) hole then run a gas pipe through the beam. But that would get me into the wall cavity.

How can I best get the gas pipe out of the way and up to code?

Here's what I've thought of:

1. Drill an angled hole through the beam and into the wall. Run a pipe through the angled hole. Then up to a gas outlet box
2. Go Straight up through the floor. Terminate it low enough that the oven can sit over it. Run a flexy line to the oven
3. Go straight up through the floor. Terminate it low enough that the oven can sit over it. Run it into the wall then to a gas outlet box

I don't know if any of these are legal or safe.

At the moment I'm not planning on doing this myself. I'm going to talk to a plumber about it. I wanted to get the thread's advice so I have some knowledge going into that conversation.

IF #2 is correct then I might DIY it. But my wife would prefer I didn't.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Hard to get oriented from the basement photo. Which direction does the gas line need to go?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
One joist bay over to the left and like 1.5 inches into the double uh 2x12? beam that's behind it in that shot. Positioning it left to right is easy. Longer pipe, maybe change the elbow angle a bit. Getting it running inside the wall seems hard. Like I said coming through the wall from below involves a hole in the beam. Coming up straight through the floor then turning and entering the wall is possible because there's about 5 inches of clearance under the oven.

[

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 23, 2024

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m sure it’s against code to drill up through a structural beam which is why they ran the pipe below and through the floor. Your best bet would probably be running it to the other side of the stove. You could probably do that easily but YMMV depending on comfortable you feel with working on gas lines.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Hmm. Maybe instead of moving it left I'll move it to the right. That would let me get the oven in the correct spot. I'm making the cabinet to the right of the stove myself so I can fit it around the gas pipe/leave an access door for the shutoff.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Can you run a flex line there? Might be able to find a different routing option that way.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

What if you move the oven forward instead and build a box shelf behind it to cover the gas outlet and give yourself a ledge to put spices and tools on

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Option #2, if I'm reading you right, is absolutely the solution. Come up through the floor as close to the wall as you can in the joist bay to the left of the current one. Cap a few inches above the floor, add flex. Should fit nicely in the oven's rear recess.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Okay I should probably replace the caulking in one of my showers. What's the best goon-approved product? Mildew/mold resistance a huge plus, seems to be a bigger issue in that bathroom than I've ever seen, I'm constantly having to clean the shower despite using a timed bathroom fan that runs for 45 min after the shower is used (and during).

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

brugroffil posted:

Me this morning: "man I don't feel like dragging the 12' ladder out of the shed to clean some gutters"

My 70yo father in law:" hmm my chimney might have a leak better build some scaffolding and re-tar and caulk it all"

....you know what, this is a better way to go than a lot of the alternatives. Your father in law seems like a cool guy.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Vim Fuego posted:

One joist bay over to the left and like 1.5 inches into the double uh 2x12? beam that's behind it in that shot. Positioning it left to right is easy. Longer pipe, maybe change the elbow angle a bit. Getting it running inside the wall seems hard. Like I said coming through the wall from below involves a hole in the beam. Coming up straight through the floor then turning and entering the wall is possible because there's about 5 inches of clearance under the oven.

[

I have a really dumb question:

Isn't there a recess in the back of the stove - usually the bottom half - that's deep enough to let you slide the stove over it?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Nope. The gas intake comes out of the bottom of the oven. So it looks like dropping the pipe low enough that the oven will clear it is the answer. Well that's the easy option!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Ohh, I was reading that picture as the pipe would be hitting the side of the oven if it was centered on the hood. Yeah, just shorten the pipe, ovens are designed for this.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

devmd01 posted:

Finally completed the landscaping for the patio remodel. We have just a few more details left and this project will be done, mostly waiting on Pella at this point to manufacture and ship the door we’re adding from the house directly into the screened in space. The money has totally been worth it, it’s a really nice place to hang out for a fire or just to read a book in the shade.

Before:

What a beautiful and inviting yard! Good job. Enjoy the screen porch.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Screened porches own bones. Ours is our summertime living room (and WFH spot).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How do people get their porches screened in? Are those big box DIY kits worth it?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Table saw, brad nailer, screen material, 2x4s. My friend's dad made panels that went between the posts that he could take down for winter.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It also depends on how nice you want it to look. I watched my dad do it probably a dozen times as a kid with screen material and a staple gun, just fixing it to the posts that were already holding up the roof over the deck. His later, fancy, variation was to sandwich the screen material between whatever structural stuff he was staple gunning it to and some 1x2s to provide a bit more of a seal and a more finished look. Why yes that was right after a friend gave him an old nail gun, why do you ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I curse the day one of the previous home owners got a nail gun. There was no problem they thought couldn’t be solved with more nails. I think every time their workbenches felt loose they’d just go nuts with framing nails. I was taking the rickety things apart yesterday and some of the joints were more nail than wood. Very tedious removing the long rear end nails but I wanted to reuse as much wood as possible