Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
moving slightly away from the labor rights issue, people are overly connected and think access new info thats updated sec to sec is meaningful and useful.

like micro weather forcasts, like if im bunkering down in a storm, resolutions of mins and feet are cool technological marvels, but not useful in the big picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yes, it's bosses, not employees. There's always the lingering thought of "If I don't respond tonight, will that come back to bite me come review time? Will this affect my raise?" You can blame it on a company's culture in general, sure, but in this instance it comes from the top.

I and, from talking with people, many of my coworkers, friends, and family have already long since given up on that as any sort of motivating factor when it comes to our day to day labor. It simply does not make sense as a motivating factor. You don't get good raises from staying at one company. You make money jumping jobs. That's why the managerial class loving hate it so much and try to convince people to not do it, except they also won't stop rewarding it because they also want to "steal" labor from competitors. Year on year raises at basically forever capped at 2-5%, no matter the industry, and anything more than that is treated like having to figure out a way to create world peace and requires every world leader to sign off on it. But leaving a job? Easy 25%+. I managed to get back to back 100%+ raises over the course of 5 years. Why the gently caress would I bother caring about a yearly raise that's playing by Calvinball rules? I'll just leave for a competitor and get at least 25% or more, easily making up for the last couple of years worth of lovely raises.

And that's all separate from "bonuses" which require insane amounts of effort for less than zero guarantee of any sort of pay out. Our company has a bonus calculation system that is more arcane, complicated, and gives us less personal agency in the result than loving Las Vegas slot machines or WoW Raid loot tables. Yet, they'll act like the hypothetical "target bonus" they gave me is some amazing piece of compensation that I should be drooling over. There are like 4 percentage checks, after the 50:50 coin flip of "does the board even want to give a bonus". None of which I have any actual control over since the "personal performance" rating is capped across the whole company above a 3/5 rating.

In the end the calculus breaks down to this: How much harder would you work over the course of a day for an extra $17? Or $2 over the course of an hour? And that's not just saying "do something a little quicker", it means "Would you not go home till 12am for $17?". Would you give up your weekend for $17? Would you skip a family or friend's or child's birthday for $17? Would you do that every day for a whole year only to end up with nothing because of a coin flip? gently caress no.

No one is fooled anymore. The starting point is "We will not give you money if we can find a way to justify it", and they can use any reason or no reason to justify it. So why the gently caress would or could it be a motivational factor?

Faxanadus
Oct 16, 2023
Utah just passed a transphobic bathroom bill and has put up yet another one of those online snitch forms up just in case you wanted to report someone who you think is using the wrong bathroom or locker room. :rolleyes: I'm sure this one in particular isn't about to be flooded and/or hacked.... again. I don't remember how many times this has happened already but it's been quite a few:

https://ut-sao-special-prod.web.app/sex_basis_complaint.html

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://www.404media.co/utah-bathroom-bill-hotline-form/

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
https://twitter.com/50TurnParty/status/1788217127327175104

Hahahahahahahahahaha the Cybertruck is designed entirely to kill anyone stupid enough to own one.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Shadowlyger posted:

Hahahahahahahahahaha the Cybertruck is designed entirely to kill anyone stupid enough to own one.

Who the gently caress was responsible for that bit of genius design? There's going to be a lot of broken fingers when cybertrucks are more prevalent.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Shadowlyger posted:

Literally learned to break his finger lol

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Kwyndig posted:

Who the gently caress was responsible for that bit of genius design? There's going to be a lot of broken fingers when cybertrucks are more prevalent.
My bet is that the force required varies significantly between vehicles. Cybertrucks have issues with panel alignment and stuff. Depending on all that, more or less force might be required, so it's probably easier to just program the controller to increase the force until it latches. That blows for the people who get their fingers cut off, but w/e.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
excuse me, but the panels have micrometers of precision.

yes its mega or giga micrometers but still micrometers.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Cyberfrunk chopped my arm off. . . Still love the truck tho

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
It’s quite the robotic approach to the problem, “something in way of door so disintegrate whatever it might be to close door…” to the point where you’d have to ask has anyone working on the cyber truck ever used a door.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

In fairness, it's not automatically re-closing itself. It's only applying more force if someone keeps pushing the close button over and over again despite the fact that it's clearly failing to close due to an obstruction.

Still a stupid and unsafe design, but it's mostly only dangerous to various edge cases, such as unsupervised kids playing with the button in an overloaded trunk. It's not going to go Finger Guillotine 9000 on a healthy adult who's sober and unimpaired but accidentally fat-fingers the button or something. At least, unless they're doing something stupid like repeatedly pushing the close button with various body parts blocking the trunk door to show off for Youtube how smart and safe Tesla's latest deathtrap is.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the GBS thread also made jokes its like those people that over pack their luggage and do things that technically make it fit but put stress on the zipper.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

cat botherer posted:

My bet is that the force required varies significantly between vehicles. Cybertrucks have issues with panel alignment and stuff. Depending on all that, more or less force might be required, so it's probably easier to just program the controller to increase the force until it latches. That blows for the people who get their fingers cut off, but w/e.

My guess is this combined with rear end in a top hat managers. Any time you yell at a dev for not doing precisely what you ask, you increase the risk of them turning into evil genies who never delete emails. At that point, if you tell them "use as little force as necessary" and don't qualify it with anything about safety, you will get exactly what this truck does.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm probably just an old fogey luddite, but i still really don't understand why powered trunks exists. i guess it's really handy for folks with a limited range of motion, but it's now just a standard feature? what's the use case driving this mass adoption?

like i currently a drive a cheap car without power locks, and that is a bit of a pain when i need to let in a passenger, or someone forgets to lock their door when exiting, but i've never in my decades of driving run into a situation where i thought "gently caress, if only i could open and close my trunk with a button on the fob instead of using the car key/release latch in the cab"

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'm probably just an old fogey luddite, but i still really don't understand why powered trunks exists. i guess it's really handy for folks with a limited range of motion, but it's now just a standard feature? what's the use case driving this mass adoption?

like i currently a drive a cheap car without power locks, and that is a bit of a pain when i need to let in a passenger, or someone forgets to lock their door when exiting, but i've never in my decades of driving run into a situation where i thought "gently caress, if only i could open and close my trunk with a button on the fob instead of using the car key/release latch in the cab"

It's actually really convenient to pop open the truck as you're walking up to the car with a cart full of groceries and then pressing the button to have it close up as you're walking the cart back to the cart storage area.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's actually really convenient to pop open the truck as you're walking up to the car with a cart full of groceries and then pressing the button to have it close up as you're walking the cart back to the cart storage area.

don't try to gaslight me on this, it won't work

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
And honestly I don't think it's a bad design to have the actuator apply (slightly) more force/torque to close the door if it detects something blocking it. If you've ever flown on a plane then surely you've seen the people try to close the overhead compartment, fail, and then slam it harder with more force. It's the same concept.

The bad design is that the closing door is literally just sheet metal and is capable of cutting dicks off due to how it's designed.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

same

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

And honestly I don't think it's a bad design to have the actuator apply (slightly) more force/torque to close the door if it detects something blocking it. If you've ever flown on a plane then surely you've seen the people try to close the overhead compartment, fail, and then slam it harder with more force. It's the same concept.

The bad design is that the closing door is literally just sheet metal and is capable of cutting dicks off due to how it's designed.
A human closing an overhead compartment would probably notice if the obstruction was a small child's spine, and then not force it closed, anyway.

There are good reasons why automatic garage doors need to pass the paper towel roll test, and why idiots feel comfortable jamming their arms into elevator doors that are closing.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don't think doors should be designed to crush things down to size when they are too large.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Yeah I’m thinking getting stuck between a set of Subway doors. Automatic, bags or whatever can get in the way, and when they’re closing you really want to close them. Rule 1: no choppy choppy.

cauliflower_lemon
Jan 30, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
076A483D-A0DA-40F7-99DE-B26455FF4AA4

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
While it's convenient in the moment, there's a reason every other company errs on the side of not squishing things in the way. It can damage the object, it can damage the car, it could be that the object is a finger or a child.

The important thing is avoiding liability "my car door cut off my penis" lawsuits.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

cauliflower_lemon posted:

076A483D-A0DA-40F7-99DE-B26455FF4AA4

Windows is now activated

Also if your car storage compartments aren't functional guillotines and trash compactors then you aren't living.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Just think of the irony when the angry mob puts Elon's neck on the back of a cybertruck

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
It’s perfect tech nightmare poo poo because undoubtably,already plenty have died or been maimed as humanity has battled to tame the automatic door over the past 100 odd years.

To the point where we have countless safe examples, various standards in all aspects of life and if all else fails the threat of litigation.

But we’ll reinvent the wheel like it’s not an idiom for idiotic engineering.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
It's fun to poo poo on Tesla and their cars I think are giant pieces of overpriced and over hyped poo poo but...

Regarding the dude breaking his finger: he kept intentionally telling the car "yes, please close the loving trunk like 5 times", which seems like something you'd do if you were really trying to close the loving thing rather than having an appendage stuck in it, in which case, you'd stop trying to close it. At least the first 2 or 4 times.

Kind of makes sense in this instance, no?

Then again, of course, the fact that you can tell the car to do it all is loving stupid so, yeah. If it was a grocery bag or a suitcase then maybe just move that poo poo a little.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm going to guess the same person dumb enough to drive a Tesla is probably dumb enough to continue trying to shut a door rather than check for an obstruction to clear.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The “learning algorithm” bit implies that next time you use the trunk it’s going to start out set to ‘guillotine’.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Professor Beetus posted:

I'm going to guess the same person dumb enough to drive a Tesla is probably dumb enough to continue trying to shut a door rather than check for an obstruction to clear.

The problem, of course, is that just about everyone has moments when they are stupid (often when very tired), not just Tesla owners, which is why sensible people try to design things and systems that minimize harm when that happens. Of course, in this case I am not even sure what the use case is ---- people generally don't want their groceries chopped up by the trunk, either!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The Lone Badger posted:

The “learning algorithm” bit implies that next time you use the trunk it’s going to start out set to ‘guillotine’.

Worth noting that the "learning algorithm" or whatever they're calling it is likely something like

code:

var trunkMotorForce = 1

onClosingObstruction() {
  haltThenMove(nextState = opening)
  trunkMotorForce = trunkMotorForce * 2
}

onTrunkClosed() {
  trunkMotorForce = 1
}

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Crain posted:

I and, from talking with people, many of my coworkers, friends, and family have already long since given up on that as any sort of motivating factor when it comes to our day to day labor. It simply does not make sense as a motivating factor. You don't get good raises from staying at one company. You make money jumping jobs. ...

As a manager, my advice to my team is: there's two ways you can go about a raise, at least in every tech company I've seen.

You can ask me directly, and I can debate for six months with finance & HR over a 3% bump.

Or you can interview somewhere else, get an offer for a 25% increase, bring that offer to me, and then I can pitch it as "gently caress look how valuable they are, we need to match or we lose them!" and then for the employee, it's win-win. Either we say yes, they stay where they are & get a fat increase. Or we say no, and they take the new offer and leave.

It's not how it SHOULD be, but it's how it is. I know for me, I was haggling over a £2k bump, and ended up with a £10k bump when I presented a competitors counter-offer.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

OddObserver posted:

The problem, of course, is that just about everyone has moments when they are stupid (often when very tired), not just Tesla owners, which is why sensible people try to design things and systems that minimize harm when that happens. Of course, in this case I am not even sure what the use case is ---- people generally don't want their groceries chopped up by the trunk, either!

Yeah, it's just emblematic of a lovely overall design approach. All this is well-covered ground. There are regulations and best practices that can tell you down to the newton what forces you shouldn't surpass in order to prevent harm, or how to otherwise minimize risks of pinch points. But the designers here apparently just went "eh gently caress it" and operated under the assumption that they're clever enough to just wing it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Morrow posted:

While it's convenient in the moment, there's a reason every other company errs on the side of not squishing things in the way. It can damage the object, it can damage the car, it could be that the object is a finger or a child.

The important thing is avoiding liability "my car door cut off my penis" lawsuits.

But you signed the EULA when you first booted your car

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

https://www.npr.org/2024/05/08/1250073041/chatgpt-openai-ai-erotica-porn-nsfw

quote:

OpenAI, the artificial intelligence powerhouse behind ChatGPT and other leading AI tools, revealed on Wednesday it is exploring how to "responsibly" allow users make AI-generated porn and other explicit content.

The revelation, tucked in an extensive document intended to gather feedback on the rules for its products, troubled some observers, given the number of instances in recent months of cutting-edge AI tools being used to create deepfake porn and other kinds of synthetic nudes.

Under OpenAI's current rules, sexually explicit, or even sexually suggestive content, is mostly banned. But now, OpenAI is taking another look at that strict prohibition.

"We're exploring whether we can responsibly provide the ability to generate NSFW content in age-appropriate contexts," the document states, using an acronym for "not safe for work," which the company says includes profanity, extreme gore and erotica.

Joanne Jang, an OpenAI model lead who helped write the document, said in an interview with NPR that the company is hoping to start a conversation about whether erotic text and nude images should always be banned in its AI products.

"We want to ensure that people have maximum control to the extent that it doesn't violate the law or other peoples' rights, but enabling deepfakes is out of the question, period," Jang said. "This doesn't mean that we are trying now to create AI porn."

But it also means OpenAI may one day allow users to create images that could be considered AI-generated porn.

"Depends on your definition of porn," she said. "As long as it doesn't include deepfakes. These are the exact conversations we want to have."

There are already sexbot apps you download today from your iPhone or Android app stores so I guess it makes sense that OpenAI want to get in on that to open up more revenue streams.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mourning Due posted:

As a manager, my advice to my team is: there's two ways you can go about a raise, at least in every tech company I've seen.

You can ask me directly, and I can debate for six months with finance & HR over a 3% bump.

Or you can interview somewhere else, get an offer for a 25% increase, bring that offer to me, and then I can pitch it as "gently caress look how valuable they are, we need to match or we lose them!" and then for the employee, it's win-win. Either we say yes, they stay where they are & get a fat increase. Or we say no, and they take the new offer and leave.

It's not how it SHOULD be, but it's how it is. I know for me, I was haggling over a £2k bump, and ended up with a £10k bump when I presented a competitors counter-offer.

The BFC advice seems to be "almost never take a counter offer." The thinking is that the business will assume you're now planning to leave regardless (and/or that now you know they consider your position important enough to provide a counter offer and you might feel safe to be more Uppity). So, they will begin work to find a replacement immediately, and as soon as that's ready (possibly hiring them to "take some the load off you" and having you teach them everything) show you the door.

This is, of course, advice the U.S., so business in Europe that by law must consider workers to be People may have a harder time.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mourning Due posted:

Keep in mind that taking a counter-offer like this is risky. Your job may not be able to replace you now, but by doing something like this, you're letting them know that they can't necessarily count on having you around long-term, and that they should start preparing to be able to replace you, just in case (a lot of people who take counter-offers still end up quitting within a year or two anyway, realizing that they were dissatisfied about more than just the pay).

And in the US, where an employer can fire you at any time for any reason, the combination of "forcing the company to give you a big unplanned salary increase" and "forcing the company to make sure they're ready to replace you" tends not to be good for your job security.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

At the time of writing this Ipad Pro commercial is at 50% negative on Youtube, due to it's poor response among creators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntjkwIXWtrc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Main Paineframe posted:

Keep in mind that taking a counter-offer like this is risky. Your job may not be able to replace you now, but by doing something like this, you're letting them know that they can't necessarily count on having you around long-term, and that they should start preparing to be able to replace you, just in case (a lot of people who take counter-offers still end up quitting within a year or two anyway, realizing that they were dissatisfied about more than just the pay).

And in the US, where an employer can fire you at any time for any reason, the combination of "forcing the company to give you a big unplanned salary increase" and "forcing the company to make sure they're ready to replace you" tends not to be good for your job security.

This behavior is exactly what leads to "it's better to just bounce". Asking for a raise, bringing up a counter offer, even bringing up a desire to transition to a different type of work within the same company, just puts a target on your back. Some places can be great for helping employees grow into new areas of expertise, but that's simply them recognizing that they can spin it as retention and saving on recruiting my developing internally. But: They don't want you to stop doing the job you were in, most places I've been where they allow this kind of career expansion still expect you to do your original job description, you're just taking on more work, because they don't want to hire a replacement.

The only reason to take Mourning Due's advice (no offense) is to pad your bottom line when looking for a new job anyway. Get the offer, get a counter offer that exceeds the original offer, turn back around and re-interview with a higher minimum salary requirement. Or just directly go back to the people who gave you the original offer and use the counter offer for more money there.