Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol

But also, what I've learned from all this is that I'm somehow more familiar overall with Eminem's discography than The Police's :negative:

Is every song by The Police creepy or just the one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

venus de lmao posted:

I dunno, that's the only one I know.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

venus de lmao posted:

A lot of them are.

It's sorta their thing.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

According to Estelle, American men are "five foot seven" whatever the gently caress that means.

Biplane posted:

They're all weird feet guys, I think.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It is weird to have five foots, or seven.

thepopmonster posted:

No, but it is odd.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

craptown posted:

Surprised they didn't discreetly transfer him to another server

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
That's bullshit because the church already ruled on the water content of the liquid used in baptisms when they allowed beer to be used.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I came across the record of a kid who'd been emergency-baptized with beer by the midwife in the early 1700s. Then over a decade later, a new priest heard about it and rebaptized the kid, a pretty big no-no!

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Multiple baptisms? That's a slippery slope to refusing to dance and not saying hi to me in the liquor store.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Pentaro posted:

The dog who is so angry he cannot move. He cannot eat. He cannot sleep. He can just barely growl. Bound so tightly with tension and anger, he approaches the state of rigor mortis.
This was my reply in the original thread. :hfive:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

venus de lmao posted:

There's a few. But they aren't cluelessly creepy. I think you're supposed to eventually notice that "Every Breath You Take" isn't actually a love song, and despite the jaunty tune "Don't Stand so Close to Me" is about a dangerous situation.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Facebook Aunt posted:

"Don't Stand so Close to Me" is about a dangerous situation.
Uh, yeah, I suppose that’s one way to put it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Facebook Aunt posted:

There's a few. But they aren't cluelessly creepy. I think you're supposed to eventually notice that "Every Breath You Take" isn't actually a love song, and despite the jaunty tune "Don't Stand so Close to Me" is about a dangerous situation.

I grimace every time I hear about a couple using "Every Breath You Take" as part of their wedding, in whatever capacity.

Same for "I Will Always Love You", which is about a breakup.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I will always love you is about a professional parting not about a romantic relationship at all

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I grimace every time I hear about a couple using "Every Breath You Take" as part of their wedding, in whatever capacity.
FWIW, so does Sting.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I will always love you is about a professional parting not about a romantic relationship at all

Wanna hear it through the office PA as layoffs are announced.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Message In A Bottle isn't creepy, I don't think? I've never exactly closely examined the lyrics, though, I could be wrong.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Message In A Bottle isn't creepy, I don't think? I've never exactly closely examined the lyrics, though, I could be wrong.

Oh it's about some freaky loving poo poo. You don't even want to know.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Our wedding rsvps included a spot for a song request to add to the playlist, and my Aunt was offended that we didn’t include her request of Escape (the pina colada song)

Drunkenly explaining to her that a song about people seeking an affair didn’t quite match the vibe we were going for was a real highlight of the reception

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Uh, yeah, I suppose that’s one way to put it.

Yeah, it is. The song can be read a few ways depending on the listener's bias. But the only inappropriate thing that actually happens within the text of the song is a teacher giving a student a ride home on a rainy day. And that's mostly inappropriate because everyone knows she has an obvious crush on him.

The song sets up a dangerous situation where several bad things could happen. It evokes dread. Which is in contrast to the bouncy tune.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Malachite_Dragon posted:

100 billion bottles wash up on the shore. There aren't anywhere near 100 billion humans on earth. QED most of the bottles he receives are from non-humans.
:barf:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It's nihilistic at best, it's a song about someone wallowing in their loneliness and waiting for someone to come save them and then at the end of the song they realise that billions of other people are also hopelessly alone and desperate. That doesn't make them feel better though, the lyrics for the second half of the song are just "Sending out an SOS" repeated dozens of times until the song fades out

Walking On The Moon is fine, it's about a guy walking home from a girl's house and he's so goddamned elated it feels like gravity isn't holding back as much

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 02:24 on May 1, 2024

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, it is. The song can be read a few ways depending on the listener's bias. But the only inappropriate thing that actually happens within the text of the song is a teacher giving a student a ride home on a rainy day. And that's mostly inappropriate because everyone knows she has an obvious crush on him.

The song sets up a dangerous situation where several bad things could happen. It evokes dread. Which is in contrast to the bouncy tune.

He is also explicitly attracted to her and afraid people will notice. It references Nabokov; come on, man.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blue Footed Booby posted:

He is also explicitly attracted to her and afraid people will notice.

Everyone already noticed, the kids have started talking poo poo in the classroom and then "Strong words in the staff room/The accusations fly"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Synchronicity is about being attacked by a lake monster

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blue Footed Booby posted:

He is also explicitly attracted to her and afraid people will notice. It references Nabokov; come on, man.

He's attracted to her, the one teenager who is giving her all to trying to attract him. There is zero indication that he is attracted to any other teenager. Zero indication that he is a predator who became a teacher to gain access to children. He references Nabokov while having a nervous breakdown about the situation. It could happen to you. I think that's the point of the song. Anyone can suffer from inappropriate biological attraction.

My boobs didn't pop out the day I turned 18. I was an early bloomer, I was menstruating at 11 and had C cups by 14.
Sometimes I caught grown men looking. It wasn't pervy when they would glance and then look away, that's just dudes boob-radar alerting them to boobs in the area. Sometimes they'd even look embarrassed for noticing, which was funny. It was pervy when they'd have a good long stare. When they'd look me up and down, taking it all in. It was pervy when grown men driving by catcall a 12 year old. Kinda pervy when some old man gives you a "compliment" about how well you're growing up. Kinda pervy when HS seniors shout to a 14 year old "you want fries with that shake?"

It was the duty of every good man more than 2 years older than me to pretend to not notice I had boobs and hips and a dump truck rear end. That's the standard. Treat kids like kids. Expecting men to never actually experience an inappropriate attraction is not a reasonable standard, the point is that as a responsible adult you have to deal with it like a responsible adult.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Whereas my Facebook aunt just posts chotchkes she finds at antique stores.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I would simply not stand so close

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

oldpainless posted:

I would simply not stand so close

more like oldpestless

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Don't post.

Don't post.

Don't post where I can see.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Crystal Lake Witch posted:

Our wedding rsvps included a spot for a song request to add to the playlist, and my Aunt was offended that we didn’t include her request of Escape (the pina colada song)

Drunkenly explaining to her that a song about people seeking an affair didn’t quite match the vibe we were going for was a real highlight of the reception
You're beautiful
Every breath you take
I like pina coladas
I will always love you
Perfect day

In that order.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Facebook Aunt posted:

100 billion bottles wash up on the shore. There aren't anywhere near 100 billion humans on earth. QED most of the bottles he receives are from non-humans.
It's a song about the great Pacific garbage patch.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

FoolyCharged posted:

Alas! Poor Yorick! I knew him, Hor...

Whoops. Wrong skull. Who the hell is this guy? Pumaman? Numaman? Bah, just some peasant nobodies heard of.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Don't Stand So Close To Me is a drat good song. Probably one of their best. I think Facebook Aunt's interpretation is solid, but I do still wish it was about something else. Like how I always feel inhibited singing along to Boys Boys Boys, one of my favorite Lady Gaga songs (not that there is anything wrong with liking boys boys boys of course)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTLypnpiJ3E

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I just found a quote from an old interview on Sting's official website which clarifies what he thought the song was about, if anyone wants the mystery ruined. If you like the song you're probably happier not knowing.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 12:06 on May 1, 2024

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I just found a quote from an old interview on Sting's official website which clarifies what he thought the song was about, if anyone wants the mystery ruined. If you like the song you're probably happier not knowing.

In the grand scheme of things authorial intentions don't matter that much though.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Facebook Aunt posted:

Bottles Georg, who lives near the beach & sends 90 billion messages annually, is an outlier & should not have been counted

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The spectrum of Police songs is honestly wild. You can go from songs about war and the anxiety of the modern human experience, all the way over to a guy singing about his blow-up doll or shouting "WELL TELEPHONE IS RINGING, IS THAT MY MOTHER ON THE PHONE".

The percussion is pretty much always on point though. Thanks Stewart Copeland!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A friend of mine played with Copeland once, he was a tremendous rear end in a top hat.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:gaz: cause at 5 o’clock they take me to the gallows pole :gaz:

Zanno posted:

the sands of time for me are running low :(

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Baron von Eevl posted:

A friend of mine played with Copeland once, he was a tremendous rear end in a top hat.

Imma read this as has and be happy with that