Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Count Roland posted:

And for anyone else reading the site is useful not just as a handy resource of info, but it is filled with calculators as well. Want to understand ohm's law, or figure out how fast something moves after falling for 15 seconds, or see how mass changes relativistically with velocity? The site will do it for you.

No thanks, buddy, AI will handle that grunt work for me.

e: help, my satellite is on fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I don't care if Count Dooku himself championed them, curved hilts look dumb

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Some of those straight-bladed silhouettes would make rad spaceship profiles. TSEWW TSEWW PKKKKWWWRRRRHHH

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm surprised more space wizards weren't using pistol grips

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Argh, my weak brain and eyesight insists on reading those century annotations as temperatures.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A gunless gunblade?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Fencing rapiers effectively have a curved grip because you're not supposed to fist grip the sword, you hold them with the grip diagonal across your palm and with your index finger on the far side of the blade. They sometimes have finger rings for that reason. The actual grip is straight but the way you use it functions like a curved one.

Because you hold them point towards the enemy, and the alternative is breaking your wrist to do that, so a pistol grip makes sense for the same reason. You're pointing the sword at people.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 13:11 on May 22, 2024

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
What does honorable mentions mean? They have a country right there next to them.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

zedprime posted:

What does honorable mentions mean? They have a country right there next to them.

The others lack honor

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A quick Google of the shotel says that it's actually double edged, so that's probably it. There's clearly a primary and secondary edge, but both are sharp.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I had the same thought and did my own research but the kord, yatagan, and kampilan are explicitly back swords. The shotel is an odd duck and is seen as sickle based but it's only double edge, at least in the rank and file version, is a false back edge focused at the tip as it's a stabbing weapon with extra capacity for slashing. The majority of the back edge remains dulled to be used for shield bracing like a back sword.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

The kord isn't a "sword", it's a "long knife"

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Found the drama club:

Not pictured: the dozen blue dots that thought they deserved lines with these pink dots too and would have become redpilled incel MRA Redditors if they had been born a decade or so later.

I was a theater kid and gently caress was it ever dramatic.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

also for some reason dude with 8 partners & gal with 5 partners didnt hook up

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When your graphics editor is colorblind and/or illiterate:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

RoastBeef posted:

Here's a copy of the paper

A condensed version is available here here

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Platystemon posted:

When your graphics editor is colorblind and/or illiterate:

That bottom graph is kinda bad too to be honest. The values on the axes aren't labeled so you can't see at a glance which belong to which graph line. And there's no labeled values for the ground speed graph at all.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Carbon dioxide posted:

That bottom graph is kinda bad too to be honest. The values on the axes aren't labeled so you can't see at a glance which belong to which graph line. And there's no labeled values for the ground speed graph at all.

the units are on the labels, which is p funny to me. choosing to believe the plane was flying ~600 ft AMSL

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Mr. Fix It posted:

the units are on the labels, which is p funny to me. choosing to believe the plane was flying ~600 ft AMSL

And flying at nearly 37,000 knots

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Carbon dioxide posted:

And since ground speed is constant, why graph it? Just state it.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

ynohtna posted:

Argh, my weak brain and eyesight insists on reading those century annotations as temperatures.
You're not the only one. If you cook a blade in Ethiopia at just below room temperature it gets a reverse curve! :science:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

What is "electron flux"? Also, what is "isolation of the wire"?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

jjack229 posted:

"Flux" literally means flow, specifically the amount of a thing going through a specific area, so it's flow of electrons aka current

Isolation of the wire I think means how well it's grounded. Electricity takes the least restrictive path to the lowest potential, so if it's grounded poorly then it might be through the bird.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

jjack229 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6yD35nN8Zg

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://x.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1794189757016342775?t=SlJAjFy4Kd9V3QaSJz08vA&s=19

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Zach later turned this into a comic on his site https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/ethics-5

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Microplastics posted:

Zach later turned this into a comic on his site https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/ethics-5

It's interesting because it really is the exact same thing, just slightly simplified and made funnier by "Hitler concentration".

Oh and it being self aware and the AI one not

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
"More/less ethical" could also be "more/less ethanol"

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

They had me in the first line. Decade notable for a lack of war: the 1940s.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I'd think 1930's television would rate worse.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The bottom left chart on scientific breakthroughs points to what seems to be a serious issue. Scientific progress is as rapid as it's ever been (although the signal to noise ratio in the literature could be higher), but it's largely not visible to the layperson as it was back in the middle of the century. How do we communicate that there's progress in algebraic statistics or non-convex optimization or synthetic biology to people who have nowhere near enough background to know what those things are?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Leviathan Song posted:

They had me in the first line. Decade notable for a lack of war: the 1940s.

The chart for "most war" has a clear spike in the 1940s though

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

ultrafilter posted:

The bottom left chart on scientific breakthroughs points to what seems to be a serious issue. Scientific progress is as rapid as it's ever been (although the signal to noise ratio in the literature could be higher), but it's largely not visible to the layperson as it was back in the middle of the century. How do we communicate that there's progress in algebraic statistics or non-convex optimization or synthetic biology to people who have nowhere near enough background to know what those things are?

I think this is where Big Science has a role as a standard bearer. If CERN or ITER or the latest space telescope is doing something cool-sounding with flashy pictures it kind of persuades non-experts that that ‘science’ is making progress.

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man where can one find that good 1930s tv programming. What a dumb chart.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Erainor posted:

Man where can one find that good 1930s tv programming. What a dumb chart.

1936 Summer Olympics played back to us FTW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUsACggHyQM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

source