Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

First Qud run in a few years ends in an ignominious death in the Rust Wells, which I was exploring in a very cavalier fashion because I was level 10. Cornered in a dead-end hallway by a Slumberling that I'd either failed to see or didn't see at all.

I was doing a True Kin horticulturist guy with a bunch of cooking skills, which I was enjoying a lot! Not sure what's next or if I'll just wait for the UI revamp to come around.

e for page top: How do y'all feel about the stuff in Qud like the Slumberlings that can be a surprise run-ender? I guess most of those are negated by the ability to play in normal RPG mode and just save at towns or whatever. Slumberlings in particular can be avoided via clever play, though Snapjaws will just wake them up and get everyone killed which is what I assume happened here. That said... I feel like Snapjaws should know better.

What are some other famous avoid or die or defeat only with clever tactics monsters in Qud?

JonBolds fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Most of the real "you have one turn to identify this threat correctly or you die" bullshit has been ironed out, but it's fun looking back at some historical examples:

• steam used to deal double or triple digit damage, not sure about the exact mechanical cause (stacking within the same tile, maybe?). fire ants + water = instant death

• there was like a single patch that lasted half a day where turret warning chirps didn't stop auto-explore

• plasma on release was wildly overtuned and at high concentrations could just delete endgame characters, and coincidentally the primary source of plasma was an enemy that exploded into a thick cloud of it on death

• canned have-it-all used to have neutron flux's effects in its list of possible cooking outcomes

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I got got by a neutron slime when I opened a door once. On the same turn I opened the door I immediately died to a weight of 1000 suns splash drop attack. Noooo thank you.

And sometimes I'll get disintegrated by a really high level esper which feels unfair but I roll with 250 glimmer so like. The gently caress do I have to blame at that point.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Argh, my personal pet peeve! It really annoys me how it's used in the exact opposite of what the words mean. Just say that stuff is too strong/hard, nobody will take away your nerd cred.

-----

My favorite way of sudden dying was not realizing that the the Alchemist is on my current floor and casually slamming open his door and walking into his suicidal living room.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

It makes perfect etymological sense if you assume people are talking about "tuning" in the sense of tuning a dial and not "tuning" in the sense of getting a string instrument just right.

e: similarly, compare "overshoot / overshot," indicating that there isn't actually a consistent standard for this in English; "overdesigned" is available for the opposite sense of the word and is if anything less ambiguous for that meaning; finally, i don't know that "overtuned" actually has any significant usage outside of gaming to be confused with to begin with.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 30, 2024

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Temporal Fugue + Hand-E-Nuke is my favorite, although it's less "bullshit" and more "what did you expect". Can't really get mad that juggling chainsaws leads to losing a hand, you know.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Most of the real "you have one turn to identify this threat correctly or you die" bullshit has been ironed out, but it's fun looking back at some historical examples:

• steam used to deal double or triple digit damage, not sure about the exact mechanical cause (stacking within the same tile, maybe?). fire ants + water = instant death

I have been avoiding steam incredibly carefully after some deaths to it at the point when this used to happen and so had not realised that it had been changed lmao

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The only genuine bullshit deaths I've had recently have been from decarbonizers and I swear to god those tracking beams aren't working properly at the moment. I know how to not stand in a bit glowing red line thank you

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

• canned have-it-all used to have neutron flux's effects in its list of possible cooking outcomes

I'm pretty sure this is still the case but it's much more likely to happen with wild rice

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

I'm pretty sure this is still the case but it's much more likely to happen with wild rice

It's not. I reported it as a bug in this very thread and it was fixed pretty quickly. :v:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

oh, I guess it isn't very noob friendly even if you're most likely to get a free armor boost out of it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

it is admittedly extremely funny and given the biome you find Wild Rice in i feel like it, by contrast, comes with sufficient contextual warning

conversely i'm not sure you even needed to actually cook with CHIA from your inventory to roll the dice on neutron flux, or if it could sneak into a recipe as a randomly generated "whip something up" ingredient, in which case just about any attempt at cooking had like a 0.01% chance of instant death

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Lmao, I still get incredible nervous every time I change screens in a river.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

just about any attempt at cooking had like a 0.01% chance of instant death

This is simply a realistic simulation of my culinary abilities :smuggo:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
We have a sneak peek alpha version of our new patch-in-the-works ready for you all to play!

It's Steam-only for now. Use code springmoltingalpha24 in the Private Betas field under the 'Betas' tab. (right-click Caves of Qud in Steam > Properties > Betas).

What to expect:
The UI is feature complete. Internal testing shows the UI to be stable and quite playable on both PC and Steam Deck. However, much of the final polish work including pixel-perfect small-screen layouts and performance optimization is not yet complete.
Design content including the Joppa rework is unfinished and in-progress, so it is not representative of the final release content yet.

How to help:
We'd love any feedback you have about the UI, but we're especially interested in cases where functionality is broken or the UI locks up / becomes unresponsive.
Please post your issues in the beta-bugs channel of the caves of qud discord if you have access, or this thread if you do not.

Thanks, friends. Live and drink, and enjoy.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 1, 2024

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It makes perfect etymological sense if you assume people are talking about "tuning" in the sense of tuning a dial and not "tuning" in the sense of getting a string instrument just right.

I believe it is from tuning in the sense of an engine on a high-performance vehicle, where being “overtuned” can literally damage the machine or worst case scenario cause massive damage.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

I have a quest to enter the Cage of the Divine Adventurer and it's not triggering when I try. Is it failing because this is the wet Cage of the Divine Adventurer?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

goferchan posted:

I have a quest to enter the Cage of the Divine Adventurer and it's not triggering when I try. Is it failing because this is the wet Cage of the Divine Adventurer?

"Enter" is probably just borked, I'll check.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Just popping in to say that I've kept a side eye on Qud for some time and have finally started playing the darn thing. It's fantastic. The mood alone is keeping me coming back.

I made a very minor contribution (an alternative key layout for tenkeyless-keyboards) during the alpha and scored a free Steam copy, but since I prefer GOG and want to drop a dime in the bucket for Freehold, I recently bought a copy there. Thanks for keeping it up to date on multiple platforms, and for keeping it DRM free! These matter to at least a few of your players. (In my case, it means that I get to sneak in some sessions on my work laptop from a flash drive.)

Side note: For a roguelike, I'm pretty happy that I only had to change only around 10 keys to make it functional with an HJKLYUBN scheme.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

goferchan posted:

Qud noob here, picked up the game for the first time in several years and I'm having a good time. Tried a random village start and the first quest I got was to go sit on a legendary chair in a nearby settlement. Completed without incident, came back and was rewarded these -- looking them up I think I got really lucky right? How cursed am I to have something terrible happen this run?

edit: I have wings, do they still work when I'm flying?

You're gonna be Gile-Shidding your pants.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

"Spread Klanq onto a Girshling Corpse" no longer works, possibly because there is no longer (normally) such a thing as a "girshling corpse" without some additional descriptor.

e: this might just be a problem with defanged girshling corpses in Red Rock; i'm having some trouble testing it via wishing since i don't know of any way to force the game to give you specific Klanq requirements as part of his quest

will report back when i find some girshlings who drop corpses (and when i don't accidentally destroy them by leaving the Butchery toggle on)

e2: unintentionally completed the quest on a different criteria, woops.

also, very disappointed to learn that at some point since the beta Girsh Nephilim chords can no longer be duplicated with polygel :mad:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 3, 2024

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

doctorfrog posted:

Just popping in to say that I've kept a side eye on Qud for some time and have finally started playing the darn thing. It's fantastic. The mood alone is keeping me coming back.

I made a very minor contribution (an alternative key layout for tenkeyless-keyboards) during the alpha and scored a free Steam copy, but since I prefer GOG and want to drop a dime in the bucket for Freehold, I recently bought a copy there. Thanks for keeping it up to date on multiple platforms, and for keeping it DRM free! These matter to at least a few of your players. (In my case, it means that I get to sneak in some sessions on my work laptop from a flash drive.)

I don't imagine it's available yet on GOG, but speaking as someone who just started playing a couple weeks ago, the "new UI" beta on Steam is glorious -- you're in for a treat. I'm sure the Qud oldheads were all accustomed to the original system but I found a few things (trade, inventory management) pretty rough. It's much more intuitive now and has let me focus on learning the fun parts of the game.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

goferchan posted:

I don't imagine it's available yet on GOG, but speaking as someone who just started playing a couple weeks ago, the "new UI" beta on Steam is glorious -- you're in for a treat. I'm sure the Qud oldheads were all accustomed to the original system but I found a few things (trade, inventory management) pretty rough. It's much more intuitive now and has let me focus on learning the fun parts of the game.

I'm just dabbling for now in anticipation of the new UI. There's a lot to absorb, this game really grew in a lot of directions. One thing I really like is how many options there are to fine tune the experience, because I definitely have my preferences.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
I usually go to the Stilt before searching historical sites but I decided to at least go see what was in this one this save... turns out it was a cult of dogs, cannibals, and the odd glowcrow and I powered through it.

Unfortunately didn't get much out of it loot-wise, artifacts sucked and there wasn't much else and I'm a mutant so I couldn't use the cybernetics stuff, but still!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

If you travel (say, by digging) to the bottom of the Taproot before starting Tau's quest, neither of the relevant NPCs you need to complete it spawn.

e: rebuilding the zone fixed it pretty handily but still not ideal

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 5, 2024

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

t3isukone posted:

I usually go to the Stilt before searching historical sites but I decided to at least go see what was in this one this save... turns out it was a cult of dogs, cannibals, and the odd glowcrow and I powered through it.

Unfortunately didn't get much out of it loot-wise, artifacts sucked and there wasn't much else and I'm a mutant so I couldn't use the cybernetics stuff, but still!

I sprint to the stilt immediately now to see if it has worthwhile enough merchants to bother with the rest of the run. I'm both a powergamer and very lazy

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Swerving thru every bazaar tile one by one is like playing hold em when the dealer starts laying down the river. “Okay, vintner and haberdasher, I can still win this… armorer and snail farmer, okay… gunsmith and hatter…… two hatters and a goat farm……”

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I'm a criminal and I feel no shame in wishing in a schematics drafter or bookbinder if I get 0 of them in the stilt, ngl.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's the right thing to do

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I know the bottom right stilt room is at least partially fixed but I think some more guaranteed merchants would be nice. I once had four hatters and no bookbinder or schematics drafter

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Did they fix the "walking into a closed door triggers 2 turns, one to open and one to move?" Because if there's a turret on the other side, there's no warning chirp.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I know the bottom right stilt room is at least partially fixed but I think some more guaranteed merchants would be nice. I once had four hatters and no bookbinder or schematics drafter

Tbh there’s something to be said for not having a bookbinder. I’m susceptible to getting caught in a “turret farming -> bookbinder(s) -> library XP” loop that just becomes my entire game. Ideally you want your Skinner box loop to include actual gameplay!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Why is one of my offhand limbs say only 65% chance to attack whereas the other two are 96% chance? I was looking at my gear and I don't see why that one limb wouldn't get all the bonuses. None of them are robot arms

VVVV Thanks!

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 5, 2024

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Lakbay posted:

Why is one of my offhand limbs say only 65% chance to attack whereas the other two are 96% chance? I was looking at my gear and I don't see why that one limb wouldn't get all the bonuses. None of them are robot arms

Your regular, comes-default offhand limb has a base 15% chance to hit plus whatever you get from skills, which with the full skill tree equals 65%.

Multiple Arms has only a 10% base chance that increases with both mutation level and skills, but mutation level only affects the arms that you got from the mutation.

If you got even more arms somehow (chimera limbs, Crystal Delight, Helping Hands, a certain deep endgame boss drop) they would also have the 15 + 50 = 65% chance to hit. (I think. Not 100% sure about Helping Hands' base chance.)

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Ah this historic site only has eyeless crabs, I hope the relic is good

*legendary star kraken at the very bottom*

At least I got an achievement for it lol

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
you killed it? good job!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Does the AI know how to use Suppressing Fire? Eventually I'll get a freeze ray and it won't matter but I'm looking for a low-tech way to get Fugue clones to pin an enemy down (since enemies constantly ignore them to home in on the player instead, for some reason).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Are "lost Mechanimist pilgrims" meant to be eligible legendary lair-holders? Running into a lot of them this run.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Path of Archa crossover when Unormal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I’ve seen Mechanist pilgrim legendaries, but none lost in a way that you can’t correct by talking to them.

Whats irritating is that unlike other Mechanist legendaries you can come across, they don’t carry Eater’s Nectar.