Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I became lactose intolerant in my 30s and had to basically give up ever eating at a restaurant again because so many places add milk to everything for no reason. I'm sure avoiding beef or gluten is even less possible. Even if you directly ask, the staff will lie to you because 999 times out of 1000 the person asking can eat the thing in question and they just want them to shut the hell up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Both beef tallow and milk make things delicious.

I am sorry part of the light in this world has gone out for both of you.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

How are there always bongos on FB marketplace until I want a set? And there's a glut of djembes!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I proofread technical reports as part of my job. I have developed some very specific pet peeves...

I'll see poo poo like this way too loving often: the property measures approximately 5.9537 acres. Or "the the elevation is approximately 593 feet above mean seal level."

Those seem like pretty specific numbers to me, boss! Are you approximating or are you being exact?! Pick one! Approximately 6 acres or approximately 600 feet above mean sea level. It's okay!

There is also an epidemic of them hyphenating measurements. Like "the property measures 6-acres." Every time. I don't know who told them that measurements get hyphenated, but I want to punch them in the mouth. If you say "The 6-acre property" then that's fine! No issue there boss. It's like they know they need to use hyphens sometimes but they don't know when, so they just do it all the time.

I've given up on correcting every case of them overusing hyphens. I am not the hyphen police. As long as it's readable, it gets a pass. But the measurement thing I nitpick to hell cuz it looks stupid. I don't want us to look stupid. People are paying us money for these reports!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

There is also an epidemic of them hyphenating measurements. Like "the property measures 6-acres." Every time. I don't know who told them that measurements get hyphenated, but I want to punch them in the mouth. If you say "The 6-acre property" then that's fine! No issue there boss. It's like they know they need to use hyphens sometimes but they don't know when, so they just do it all the time.
Ugh, YES. Now you see it in articles produced by supposedly respectable news organizations, too, especially with ages: "She was diagnosed when she was 8-months-old." :argh:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Dip Viscous posted:

I became lactose intolerant in my 30s and had to basically give up ever eating at a restaurant again because so many places add milk to everything for no reason. I'm sure avoiding beef or gluten is even less possible. Even if you directly ask, the staff will lie to you because 999 times out of 1000 the person asking can eat the thing in question and they just want them to shut the hell up.

Just start carrying lactaid pills with you. Assuming it IS just lactose intolerance and not some other sort of dairy allergy/reaction.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Brawnfire posted:

How are there always bongos on FB marketplace until I want a set? And there's a glut of djembes!

too many djembe. not enough bongos. i have seen this, this is true. my theory is djembe have become the white dread buttlock ras trent false yogi vegan drum circle instrument of choice

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I am surrounded by gross incompetence and it baffles me. My peers at work, the people on my crew that I manage, other drivers on the road, other posters on this forum. Seemingly all of them are unable to effectively function at a basic level.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Hirayuki posted:

"She was diagnosed when she was 8-months-old." :argh:
But she was an eight-month-old child!

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

my theory is djembe have become the white dread buttlock ras trent false yogi vegan drum circle instrument of choice

They haven't already been this for decades? My crunchy pagan yoga mom got me one when I was in high school.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Why are there so many image filetypes now, and why do they have such janky, uneven support distribution. I'm sure a webp is 1% smaller in filesize than a jpeg or something, but how have they been around for YEARS and still aren't supported by things like Google Slides or Imgur?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Waste of Breath posted:

They haven't already been this for decades? My crunchy pagan yoga mom got me one when I was in high school.

the white unidread buttlock movement has indeed lasted decades

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Why are there so many image filetypes now, and why do they have such janky, uneven support distribution. I'm sure a webp is 1% smaller in filesize than a jpeg or something, but how have they been around for YEARS and still aren't supported by things like Google Slides or Imgur?

Webp seems to exist solely to be a pain in the arse. Websites love to give them out but refuse to accept them, so if you download a picture you have to convert it before reuploading it anywhere.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Then after you convert it the site that refuses to accept webp uploads converts it back to webp, with a larger file size than what you converted it to.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Is there any practical purpose to webp other than forcing me to take a screenshot of the image I want?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Is there any practical purpose to webp other than forcing me to take a screenshot of the image I want?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Anthologies/ short story collections should always go at the end of the section

Also, stop making every sci fi/ fantasy book into a series

oldpainless has a new favorite as of 01:51 on May 5, 2024

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

credburn posted:

People need to stop backing up at concerts! For fucks sake, it happens all the time.

If anyone touches you at a concert you punch them in the face. Hopefully they repay the favour because getting punched is an honour.

That's what being in the pit is all about.

If you don't bleed it isn't a real concert.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That being said I only go to concerts when the band is called something like Disembowelment or Cock and Ball Torture

so I might be biased.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Also, stop making every sci fi/ fantasy book into a series

loving seriously. I've basically given up on reading fantasy because i refuse to pick up book one of the madeupword trilogy, which itself is part one of the notarealname saga. One book, one story, with a start and an end, please.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Has anyone written a fantasy book since Tolkien and resisted the urge to put a map at the start of the book?

Or will people refuse to read fantasy when there's no map?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Maps, and family trees, are indispensable parts of Fantasy literature.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Elissimpark posted:

Has anyone written a fantasy book since Tolkien and resisted the urge to put a map at the start of the book?

Or will people refuse to read fantasy when there's no map?
Pratchett famously resisted having maps of Discworld in the books.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

When people cancel on plans in a way that sounds ambiguous. Like "I'm finishing work late so I'm not sure I'll be able to make it for a 18:00 start." Do they mean that they don't know if they'll be there on time or not? No. Do they mean they know they'll be late but will still be there at some point? No. They mean that they won't be there at all but they don't want to actually say that.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

People who defend companies or products against any suggestions or improvement. Like the Bandcamp music player doesn't have a volume control. I googled it and there were people saying "Just adjust the volume in your mixer/computer" and "If they added it there would be people with problems" as if every single video/audio player in the last 30 years didn't have a volume control. And I hate that "Just turn down your computer volume" take because computers can multitask and I may be playing a game and listening to bandcamp. And I need to have Bandcamp volume at 25% to match the game. Luckily there was a browser add-on to add the volume slider.

That also leads to my other peeve, many games these days have super low volume. I assume it's because the sound designer wants to have extremely high dynamic range, but it's very rare that a game's sound design is as good as it thinks.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The "introduction" to a book should be written with the assumption you haven't yet read it. Don't tell me how the book ends in the second sentence of your intro, Daryl!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

stringless posted:

Pratchett famously resisted having maps of Discworld in the books.

For a while.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Muscle Tracer posted:

The "introduction" to a book should be written with the assumption you haven't yet read it. Don't tell me how the book ends in the second sentence of your intro, Daryl!

Idk, I think any worth while intro will have to be able to discuss the book as a whole, which necessitates spoilers.

It is pretty stupid that really you should read the introduction at the end, I agree.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Brawnfire posted:

a glut of djembes

This phrase pleases me; I don’t know why.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This is a very mild one, but people who don't respond to a greeting or say thank you. I was just raised to be extra friendly and polite but the number of people who come into my work and completely ignore a "Hey folks how're you?" and just say what they want is pretty high and it does tick me off a mote.
"Hi there, how's it going?"
"GUITARS?"
"Yeah that's actually next door; we're not connected internally so you have to go back outside and make a left."
*they leave without acknowledging, sometimes with a pouty face on*

Actually worse than that are the people who come up to the counter and just start reciting their phone number without saying what they want us to do with their account on the POS. Nine times out of ten it's some sort of payment.

Yet worse are the phone calls from someone who wants us to deliver something or buy it over the phone and have an Uber driver come pick it up. We have a very specific policy for third-party sales that the driver has to come into the store and get the actual buyer on the phone so we can confirm it. The other day some dipshit yelled at me over the phone over it. People are so poisoned by Amazon and their apps that they think they can get anything they want at the touch of a button.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Mister Speaker posted:

This is a very mild one, but people who don't respond to a greeting or say thank you. I was just raised to be extra friendly and polite but the number of people who come into my work and completely ignore a "Hey folks how're you?" and just say what they want is pretty high and it does tick me off a mote.
"Hi there, how's it going?"
"GUITARS?"
"Yeah that's actually next door; we're not connected internally so you have to go back outside and make a left."
*they leave without acknowledging, sometimes with a pouty face on*

Actually worse than that are the people who come up to the counter and just start reciting their phone number without saying what they want us to do with their account on the POS. Nine times out of ten it's some sort of payment.

Yet worse are the phone calls from someone who wants us to deliver something or buy it over the phone and have an Uber driver come pick it up. We have a very specific policy for third-party sales that the driver has to come into the store and get the actual buyer on the phone so we can confirm it. The other day some dipshit yelled at me over the phone over it. People are so poisoned by Amazon and their apps that they think they can get anything they want at the touch of a button.

This is definitely a *me* problem, but I hate "How's it going?"

I can't read nuance or body language very well and find myself always in a real awkward state because I know that the person is just saying "Hello." but the other part of me is overwhelmingly saying THE MAN ASKED YOU A QUESTION YOU NEED TO ANSWER IT and then I find I can't really well navigate between a polite response (I know "Good, you?" is the equivalent of just saying "Hello" back but I can't do it, I just can't do it) and a genuine one (this person does not need to know that I'm going through some serious poo poo internally right now and lately), so I try to just make a joke, offhand, but it always comes across extremely ingenuine feeling, and I hate it. The best I can do is say, "Oh, you know," which usually gets a "I know how it is," or a smile and a nod. Then I go hyperventilate out of view in the cereal section for a few minutes.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I stick with the universally beloved “working hard or hardly working”

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Wink+finger guns, the best greeting AND response

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I've tried out "the horrors persist" meme in person at work, which seems to get sensible chuckles.

I work on a psych ward, so individual results may differ.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Passwords:

Change Password

Create a password for your account.
Password Requirements:

Passwords must be at least 15 characters but no more than 128

At least 1 lowercase letter

At least 1 uppercase letter

At least 1 number

At least 1 special character, no spaces allowed: @_#/,;~`%&=':!$*+().{}|?><^[]-"\

You cannot use your birthdate, SSN, name, phone number, or ZIP code

When changing a password, your new password must have at least 8 characters be different

When changing a password, your new password must be different than the current and 10 previous passwords

You cannot change your password more than once every 24 hours

Enter your password below. Note that:

All passwords expire in 60 days and will need to be changed prior to expiration. You may want to note your password expiration date on a calendar. As a security precaution, your password should never be written down.

When entering your password below, you will know your password meets the password requirements when all lines above are green. If there are any red lines, go back and adjust the password to meet the requirement identified.

You are required to sign in at least once every 180 days to prevent your account from being deactivated.

A dreadful pain in the rear end for a site that I visit maybe once a month.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Just get a PW manager. I use Keepass, works pretty well. It's local based, not a cloud service, so you don't have to worry about data breaches or anything.

TBLALV
Aug 5, 2022
I also like to keep rear end

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

At a certain point it'd be easier for everyone to require a new password for each login.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dip Viscous posted:

At a certain point it'd be easier for everyone to require a new password for each login.

Swear to God that's what my company portal does. Every time I want to check a paystub or book time off it wants an all new password and stable of security questions. It's the most annoying thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The best though is when absolutely none of these rules are actually shown to you, you just get a text pop-up about whichever is the first in the list that your password didn't meet, over and over again.