Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Muscle Tracer posted:

The best though is when absolutely none of these rules are actually shown to you, you just get a text pop-up about whichever is the first in the list that your password didn't meet, over and over again.

you mean like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I know it's a curmudgeony thing to be mad about (I mean what is the Pet Peeve Thread for if not irrational frustrations) but people who don't understand the concept of 'single file' really bug me.

Just now I was walking down a section of sidewalk that's made inconveniently narrow by bicycle posts on the one side and a local bar's patio railing on the other. This couple was walking towards me and I was all the way over, right against the patio railing, and the dude didn't budge, so guess what happened? We collided and he stumbled.

I'm a pretty considerate person, like I'll be the first to walk in the road if there's someone coming by in a wheelchair or with a stroller or other mobility issues. But if you are a grown-rear end able-bodied man and you can't be arsed to step behind your friend for a brief moment, you are getting bumped into.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Drivers that rush to the end of a merge lane that get mad when you don't slide out of their way when they try to bully their way into your lane with their truck.

Added bonus when they follow you for a few blocks before obviously giving up and turning around.

Learn to drive and how to regulate your emotions.

Indolent Bastard has a new favorite as of 12:26 on May 8, 2024

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Indolent Bastard posted:

Learn to drive and how to regulate your emotions.

NO! DAD! DIE IN A FIRe

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Podcasts that upload old episodes. It's not a loving radio station, the old episode is still there just as accessible as ever. Uploading old episodes is entirely to artificially increase their numbers by depending on people to either not realize they're downloading an old episode or relying on subscriptions that automatically download it. It feels exploitative and scummy and I hate that it seems like more and more podcasts do this.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I actually get requests to upload old episodes a lot with my show. The RSS feeds have caps so the old episodes don't show up in them sometimes. We get folks who want to hear the really early stuff. We don't actually do it, but the demand seems to exist at least.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

credburn posted:

Podcasts that upload old episodes. It's not a loving radio station, the old episode is still there just as accessible as ever. Uploading old episodes is entirely to artificially increase their numbers by depending on people to either not realize they're downloading an old episode or relying on subscriptions that automatically download it. It feels exploitative and scummy and I hate that it seems like more and more podcasts do this.

Sometimes they’re not available

Or sometimes they need to take a break and so they just upload an old one.

It’s not scummy. People should be able to read and see what it says

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Well, that makes sense. That's definitely not happening in these feeds in seeing though, releasing an episode from last goddamn year

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah idk then. Sounds like a crappy podcast imo. The ones I’ve seen do that either do it because the episodes are fairly lost due to merging podcast feeds (stitcher I think?) or they’re taking a break so they post an older one, like 10 years old episode.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I will say I have a similar peeve, which is for any podcast that releases "previews" on their main feed, which are always like two to five minutes of the actual episode along with an ad for microdose gummies or whatever. That one is absolutely designed to puff up numbers for other stuff. Like I know when I was approached by a publisher about writing some books related to my show, the first they asked for was raw impressions and downloads per month, and it'd be real easy to juice those numbers in a way they'd never care about by releasing snippets or 10 minute micro episodes or something.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

theironjef posted:

I actually get requests to upload old episodes a lot with my show. The RSS feeds have caps so the old episodes don't show up in them sometimes. We get folks who want to hear the really early stuff. We don't actually do it, but the demand seems to exist at least.
But... if they want to listen to an old episode they can just go download it? They're not asking for you to republish the entire archive from the start, are they? So they'd still have to rely on you to decide which episodes to put into the feed? :confused:

CelticPredator posted:

Sometimes they’re not available

Or sometimes they need to take a break and so they just upload an old one.
That first one makes some sense (although it would be better to just fix the archive rather than republishing the old, missing episode) but the second is just bullshit. I won't even notice if a podcast I listen to takes a week (or month) off, but if they put up episodes I've already listened to I'm going to be annoyed. It's a bait and switch.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
When you subscribe to a great podcast and they put an old one in the feed it’s guaranteed to be a total banger. And the form has been around long enough that it’s quite likely that I never heard the episode on original release, and if I did I’ve either forgotten the details or learned so much about the context that it’s even more interesting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tiggum posted:

. I won't even notice if a podcast I listen to takes a week (or month) off, but if they put up episodes I've already listened to I'm going to be annoyed. It's a bait and switch.

Okay but other people would notice when they took a week off

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
It is frustrating to me because, anecdotally, the way I listen to podcasts lends to cause incidents where I find myself listening to a podcast for like fifteen minutes before realizing I've heard it before. It's not like they audibly announce this is a repeat. I know this is resolved through my own attention, but if it wasn't a practice it also wouldn't be a problem.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Tiggum posted:

But... if they want to listen to an old episode they can just go download it? They're not asking for you to republish the entire archive from the start, are they? So they'd still have to rely on you to decide which episodes to put into the feed? :confused:

That first one makes some sense (although it would be better to just fix the archive rather than republishing the old, missing episode) but the second is just bullshit. I won't even notice if a podcast I listen to takes a week (or month) off, but if they put up episodes I've already listened to I'm going to be annoyed. It's a bait and switch.

If you're like me and you're at a sort of semi-pro, been doing this for a while level, doing a bunch of work on archives or rehosting can be expensive and time consuming for very little reward. I'm not saying that to suggest that you're just wrong, like I said I don't repost old episodes. I'm just saying it because it's a regular thing I have to tell fans. It takes forever to upload old episodes to youtube and costs money for hosting space to store them as downloads, and in both cases I'm not capable of monetizing that by comparison to current episodes. Not big enough to make youtube affiliate status, and old files won't have relevant ads on them anymore unless they're on a dynamic hosting thing, which would involve reposting them, heh.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
TV shows that overuse the trope where they start out with some super dramatic event and keep cutting back in time. It worked in that one seinfeld wedding episode, and it can work in general if it's well done, but otherwise it's just lazy writing, like clickbait youtubes that spoil the most interesting part of the video in the first 10 seconds. If the plot isn't interesting enough to keep me drawn in for the entire episode length to find out what happens in the end, it's not worth airing.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
:getin: media res

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I should really change doctor's office, even though the doc I got this time seemed fairly nice.

Booking an hour at my previous doctor:
Pop in to the national health website, book an available appointment online, done. (Before that got standardized, use their web portal to do the same.)

At the new one.
Check on the website, see that they still don't accept online bookings, 2 years later.
They say you can request one through a form, but they don't reply to that and just let it time out after a few days.
You call them, and the phone immediately goes into a 2-3 minute schpiel about:
"We've changed name and location (2+ years ago), you can also book hours online, here are our incredibly variable phone hours."
And then they just ignore the phone for 20 min until the lunch break hits and the hold-bot goes 'we're not currently open, please call back later.'.

It's faster to just travel in and book appointments in person.
(And why yes, the phone hold is an incredibly obnoxious one that notifies you that there's unfortunately nobody to answer right now every 30 or so sec.)

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

what the gently caress is up with websites and apps calling things GIFs when they are actually just MP4s with awful resolution

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wraps, tortillas, souvlaki bread, etc. that comes in packs of five. That's not divisible by anything. Put one more in there. :argh:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Tiggum posted:

Wraps, tortillas, souvlaki bread, etc. that comes in packs of five. That's not divisible by anything. Put one more in there. :argh:

It's divisible by 1

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Me looking up from my prayer mat...souvlaki bread?!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Dopilsya posted:

Me looking up from my prayer mat...souvlaki bread?!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Breakfast sausages come in packs of 14. Do you think I'm feeding one person 2 sausages a day every day of the week? Just make every sausage like 10% bigger and make it 12 sausages.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
People who are out of office for a defined period of time, but set their out of office to last indefinitely, so you still get their stupid auto responses etc even when you KNOW they're in today

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

People who are out of office for a defined period of time, but set their out of office to last indefinitely, so you still get their stupid auto responses etc even when you KNOW they're in today

this is a power move and i respect it.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I love the 'this email is not consistently monitored' auto reply like that's a really cool way of saying gently caress you to the world and I respect it

What does annoy me though is when it's HR people. Your entire job is to forward emails and distribute essential resources and powers from behind emails, so kindly do it??? Do the three hours of work a week and then you can euthanize stray cats or whatever your hobby is

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Not sure if this is an actual peeve or just something that baffles me but how do people still not understand PowerPoint? Like real basic poo poo. I've been in multiple meetings with people sharing PowerPoint and they just screen share the PowerPoint window in editing mode, like with the menu on the top and the sidebar with the list of slides and all! Like, my guy at least start the slide show?!

Back when I was in college in the dang stone age a professor showed me how to save the thing as a "PowerPoint Show" that just loads the thing straight into Slide Show mode. I think if I did that I'd blow people's goddamn minds, and I am by no means a PowerPoint expert!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

I've been in multiple meetings with people sharing PowerPoint and they just screen share the PowerPoint window in editing mode, like with the menu on the top and the sidebar with the list of slides and all!

This is, by far, the most common way I've seen PowerPoint used. Like it's just how people think you're supposed to do it.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Silver Falcon posted:

Not sure if this is an actual peeve or just something that baffles me but how do people still not understand PowerPoint? Like real basic poo poo. I've been in multiple meetings with people sharing PowerPoint and they just screen share the PowerPoint window in editing mode, like with the menu on the top and the sidebar with the list of slides and all! Like, my guy at least start the slide show?!

Back when I was in college in the dang stone age a professor showed me how to save the thing as a "PowerPoint Show" that just loads the thing straight into Slide Show mode. I think if I did that I'd blow people's goddamn minds, and I am by no means a PowerPoint expert!

To be completely fair, if your org uses MS Teams, poo poo is just broken sometimes. Actually, a lot of the time. I've seen that particularly have to be done because full screening the presentation in screen share mode (that is, not "sharing PowerPoint through Teams" which often fucks up) will just crash the application altogether.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Honestly I could write a whole two pages of posts ITT about Microsoft Teams but I won't.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

To be completely fair, if your org uses MS Teams, poo poo is just broken sometimes. Actually, a lot of the time. I've seen that particularly have to be done because full screening the presentation in screen share mode (that is, not "sharing PowerPoint through Teams" which often fucks up) will just crash the application altogether.

Oh? In fact we do use Teams! Well this is why I grumble about it here instead of calling anybody out during a meeting for not knowing how to use PowerPoint. :)

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I can see why sometimes closed captions are a little bit off, like they miss a word or two. But it really bothers me when you get a sentence that's just completely different, ESPECIALLY in scripted stuff where you could presumably just copy-paste the script for a starting point. What gives?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's especially nice when it completely undermines a joke or takes away any gravitas.

This would be a fun time to have an example at hand. Post over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Muscle Tracer posted:

I can see why sometimes closed captions are a little bit off, like they miss a word or two. But it really bothers me when you get a sentence that's just completely different, ESPECIALLY in scripted stuff where you could presumably just copy-paste the script for a starting point. What gives?

i was under the impression that in cases where it's an entirely different sentence, the cc IS the script, and the actors did an ad-lib that made the final cut