Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Marx Headroom posted:

Can anyone recommend some good single bladed nippers that aren't $60 like Godhands?

I use these and they've been working great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Tom Guycot posted:

... I had a look through the lists of them, saw a few that had an ok look and not all weird…

To the Z’gok, Acguy and Gyans reading over my shoulder: :ssh: He’s not taking about you…

I hear you, 45-years of needing to one-up the last robot has lead to some pretty wild designs. Idk if it’s just Stockholm syndrome after watching most of the UC shows but I really like the ‘this time the samurai-robot is fighting a gladiator/knight/weird swamp monster’ aesthetic.

If you want to hue closer to the Real Robot style, maybe check out the Demi variants from Witch from Mercury.

ETA:

Marx Headroom posted:

Can anyone recommend some good single bladed nippers that aren't $60 like Godhands?

I would recommend getting the $60 Godhands when they’re on sale for $45 :smugdog:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

monsterzero posted:

I would recommend getting the $60 Godhands when they’re on sale for $45 :smugdog:

Thanks to everyone except this poster for the nip recs!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Marx Headroom posted:

Stedi MS-106 and MS-107. Dispae 3.0.

Buck Wildman posted:

I use these and they've been working great

Litterally what I was using last night.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

I've been using Dspiae 3.0 nippers for a few months and am very happy with them.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Synthbuttrange posted:

Welcome to plastic crack. Nice job on the brass arm, gives it a nice asymmetry!

Thanks, yeah, I knew I needed some kind of asymetry to it, and I had some copper tape around that I thought might work decent for a look of a repaired part from something else. If I wasn't lazy I'd redo the bit on the forearm as I made some mistakes applying it that lead to it not looking as nice, but eh, its enough for my unskilled putzing around.

Funny enough these were the other 2 I was deciding between, but robot sniper thingy won out. Sorry to seem like I'm putting down the gandems that look "weird", I'm just not really a big anime person so a lot of those over the top busy designs are just not my bag is all!

I finished up the kit assembly today, and applied the decals, and yeah again, I have to echo I'm overall really impressed with the mechanics and structure of these kits. I haven't built a model in over 20 years since i was a kid, but it really brought back that fun zen experience of assembly. A+, even from someone whos never seen a gundam, or any giant robot anime stuff. I don't know if I'll do another down the road, but maybe, it was kinda fun to do a model again, or maybe it will just be a kick to get back into doing some model building in general.

Either way, I still have to finish up this one, I need to dremmel out some scratches and damage, and then do some paints, but right now I've been playing around with how I want to weather it and doing a bit of test on one of the feet.

I don't know what the "best practices" are or anything, but I think I'm happy with the grime/rust on the leg using some black, burnt umber, sienna, and red. I know I've seen people talk about doing 'panel lining' specifically, but I'm thinking I'd rather define those lines with grime, as I don't really want to give it a sort of cel shaded look but something more physical.

The foot though I wanted it to look appropriately grimy like its been stomping through mud but i'm not sure i'm entirely happy with how it looks so I'm going to wipe that part off and test something else there, If anyone has any tips for that kind of thick muck look, I'd be really curious to know the techniques.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tom Guycot posted:

Sorry to seem like I'm putting down the gandems that look "weird", I'm just not really a big anime person so a lot of those over the top busy designs are just not my bag is all!

There are plenty of people who love nothing but the more uniform or grunt type suits so it's nothing to apologizing for! The classic Zaku mooks are some of the most popular designs in the whole franchise, something not even the creators allegedly expected. One of the best things about having such a huge franchise with so many designs is that you really can just pick the stuff you like and ignore the rest because gently caress 'em.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Grunts grunts grunts grunts!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

grunts

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
acguy remains the best

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
That’s not how you spell Gogg

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tom Guycot posted:

Funny enough these were the other 2 I was deciding between, but robot sniper thingy won out. Sorry to seem like I'm putting down the gandems that look "weird", I'm just not really a big anime person so a lot of those over the top busy designs are just not my bag is all!

I finished up the kit assembly today, and applied the decals, and yeah again, I have to echo I'm overall really impressed with the mechanics and structure of these kits. I haven't built a model in over 20 years since i was a kid, but it really brought back that fun zen experience of assembly. A+, even from someone whos never seen a gundam, or any giant robot anime stuff. I don't know if I'll do another down the road, but maybe, it was kinda fun to do a model again, or maybe it will just be a kick to get back into doing some model building in general.

If you want some Bandai-made robots that aren't tied to an anime franchise, have you heard the word of our lord and saviour; 30 Minute Missions? :catholic:

They're built as well as High Grades, if not innovated several design techniques in the more recent ones, and infinitely customizeable with a LOT of accessory and weapon sets available. Even some vehicle sets too (That can also have their parts repurposed and integrated into robots).

There's also 30 Minute Fantasy coming soon, an adjacent line with a more magical look (Medieval knight armor).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want some Bandai-made robots that aren't tied to an anime franchise

Yet.

There's also 30 minute missions Armored Core 6 kits releasing later this year.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tom Guycot posted:

The GMs and their descendants and lookalikes are some of the cleanest and most "hardware" looking mobile suits in the franchise. A lot of people like Zakus for that as well, but in my experience their pig nose and exposed cables were an acquired taste.

When regular-vehicle Youtube modeler Plasmo did his first Gundam for his channel, he also chose the GM Sniper 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbJRtnQvsOM

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MechaX posted:

That’s not how you spell Gogg

gogg is great. but is not best.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Yet.

There's also 30 minute missions Armored Core 6 kits releasing later this year.

That said, the AC6 kits aren't really that similar to the mainline. Less option parts, more detailed designs, and a lot more expensive. If you like Armored Core designs, they're probably going to be great, but it's not the same as the cheap and easily customized standard 30mm kits.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Phy posted:

The GMs and their descendants and lookalikes are some of the cleanest and most "hardware" looking mobile suits in the franchise. A lot of people like Zakus for that as well, but in my experience their pig nose and exposed cables were an acquired taste.

When regular-vehicle Youtube modeler Plasmo did his first Gundam for his channel, he also chose the GM Sniper 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbJRtnQvsOM

God that finished result looks so good. I'm always in awe of people with those model painting skills, it makes me feel like a clumsy 2 year old bashing away with crayons.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Big Bizness posted:

Seriously though. It got a crappy action figure around when the game came out but it's one of the coolest designs in the series and NEEDS a proper high detail model

https://twitter.com/nainicut/status/1785832581268979872

https://twitter.com/nainicut/status/1721011824064430405

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

Ooh what a cool looking bot! Very nice effect with the arm. I'll have to work my way up to getting creative like that.

I don't think I posted when it actually happened, but my grade 5 class and I finished the model we were working on for relaxation time at school. It's a little squiffy in places but I'm happy with it for a first go that I often handed over to a bunch of kids to work on instead of me.

At the end of the school year, I got a gift card which went right back into buying more models for this year with my new class. :twisted:

Finished one and current progress on new one.

Third one waiting.

I continue to know nothing about Gundam other than I think these ones look cool. It is a lovely little hobby and I am surprised at how many of my kids are super excited by and into doing it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

Thanks, yeah, I knew I needed some kind of asymetry to it, and I had some copper tape around that I thought might work decent for a look of a repaired part from something else. If I wasn't lazy I'd redo the bit on the forearm as I made some mistakes applying it that lead to it not looking as nice, but eh, its enough for my unskilled putzing around.

Honestly your sentiment is pretty common in the Gunpla community, at least in discussion circles if not in sales, so you're in fine company. Of my backlog, 4 of them are Gundams, and 10 are various flavors of grunt (or grunt-equipment; I have a Type 89 Base Jabber in there).

At any rate, don't worry about things like "best practices." This isn't software engineering, it's art, and what you enjoy and want to convey is more important than some grognard weeb insisting your GM Sniper II isn't the exact color scheme and weathering for the places the GM Sniper II was deployed in November 0079.

(Same rule applies to armor and other modeling, by the way.)

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Very nice. I'm not on Twitter so I can't see the thread but is the 3D model data they made available anywhere? I know someone with a printer, would love to take a crack at painting it.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
Painted the Master Asia figure that came with my MG Master Gundam:

Before

After

Pretty happy with how it came out despite not know how to paint eyes to save my life lol. Still beats my first attempt:

:q:

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer
That's a neat paint job and congrats on the improvement!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If anything, you've captured the spirits of both characters perfectly.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

woah great job

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
drat, that shading. It ended up looking really nice and subtle underneath the final paint!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

test fit of my 30mm spinatio shogun to make sure I'm happy with the customization I did before detailing. I think it's going to be slightly different from this but it's in the ballpark

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Nerobro posted:

Stedi MS-106 and MS-107. Dispae 3.0.

Litterally what I was using last night.

What's the difference between Stedi and Dispae? Trying to debate on which snipper I should get and the difference between them all

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Local hobby store ended up selling that FSS Neptune kit from Volks that I was eyeing for a bit, so that's disappointing.

But I was able to pick up a restock of the Jehuty model from Kotobukiya, so that's rad.

Don't know if I dodged a bullet there though or if this is just a lateral move. Kotobukiya's kit quality seems to cover the entire spectrum, bad to good. Dunno about Volks; I have a Temjin kit somewhere in my closet but I've never seen them do anything major.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Hey friends, I've been absent from this thread for ages because I haven't finished a gunpla kit in almost 4 years. I finally finished one to my liking today. If I can post a little too long about it I'd appreciate it.

I started this kit in 2020 just before the pandemic. I finished the torso head and arms, but ran out of like 2 colors that I needed to finish the legs. Then the pandemic hit and everywhere was out of stock of the paint I needed. The days became weeks became months became years and I had functionally quit the hobby, despite how much real-estate it takes up in my garage.

I hosted my first build day in years last week and had a few friends over to snap together some kits and watch anime vhs tapes (something I used to do every week in the before times). That was all it took for me to get the itch again. I bought the paint I needed and got to work. This morning I put the final layer of clear coat on and called it complete.

I always have a really hard time finishing kits even when supplies aren't in stock because every step I take towards completion I get more and more anxious that I'm going to gently caress it up. I can snap kits together without a care in the world but the more time I invest, the more scared I get that I'm going to ruin it beyond repair (it's happened before, I think the last kit I posted about here was an MG Guncannon that was going great until it wasn't).

May I present for the thread, my MG RX-78-2 Ver. 3.0. The kit I left half-done for almost 4 years.

Bonus shot of the photo setup lol

As usual when I look at it almost all I can see are things I'd like another shot at. But that's just gonna have to wait for the next kit I suppose. But when I look at my kit that's posted in the OP of this thread, which at one point was the best kit I had ever made, I can definitely see that I've improved. Just never seems that way when I'm in the thick of it.

C&C kind of welcome but tbh if someone could just say "looks cool" that's really what I need, because I think already know where most of the flaws are.

/sadsackpost

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
drat that’s a clean as hell paint job, excellent job!

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Null of Undefined posted:

I always have a really hard time finishing kits even when supplies aren't in stock because every step I take towards completion I get more and more anxious that I'm going to gently caress it up. I can snap kits together without a care in the world but the more time I invest, the more scared I get that I'm going to ruin it beyond repair (it's happened before, I think the last kit I posted about here was an MG Guncannon that was going great until it wasn't).

I really relate to this feeling.

It's awesome that you've returned to the hobby and are facing down the hard parts of a finishing up a high investment build. It came out great, the effort really shows. Nice work!

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Yeah that looks sick, nice work. Very clean.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Hey friends, I've been absent from this thread for ages because I haven't finished a gunpla kit in almost 4 years. I finally finished one to my liking today. If I can post a little too long about it I'd appreciate it.

I started this kit in 2020 just before the pandemic. I finished the torso head and arms, but ran out of like 2 colors that I needed to finish the legs. Then the pandemic hit and everywhere was out of stock of the paint I needed. The days became weeks became months became years and I had functionally quit the hobby, despite how much real-estate it takes up in my garage.

I hosted my first build day in years last week and had a few friends over to snap together some kits and watch anime vhs tapes (something I used to do every week in the before times). That was all it took for me to get the itch again. I bought the paint I needed and got to work. This morning I put the final layer of clear coat on and called it complete.

May I present for the thread, my MG RX-78-2 Ver. 3.0. The kit I left half-done for almost 4 years.

Bonus shot of the photo setup lol

As usual when I look at it almost all I can see are things I'd like another shot at. But that's just gonna have to wait for the next kit I suppose. But when I look at my kit that's posted in the OP of this thread, which at one point was the best kit I had ever made, I can definitely see that I've improved. Just never seems that way when I'm in the thick of it.

C&C kind of welcome but tbh if someone could just say "looks cool" that's really what I need, because I think already know where most of the flaws are.

/sadsackpost

I could go all art critique but honestly this is great work. I think the best part of the story is the hanging out with friends and having fun

as for the, "oh no I'll eventually gently caress this up feeling". here's the real artist secret: everyone fucks up all the time. what matters is that you accept it as a part of your process and you find a way to either fix it or come to terms with it. sometimes a mistake turns into a fun aside in your artist statement

so my point is no stress my goon. we're all learning

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Thanks y’all <3

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Willo567 posted:

What's the difference between Stedi and Dispae? Trying to debate on which snipper I should get and the difference between them all

Honestly? Not a whole heck of a lot. I haven't bought the MS-107, but the Dispae is "within the margin of error" the same of the MS-106. I haven't compared new for new yet, so every time I've tried the Dispae 3.0 they've been a couple thousand cuts newer than my MS-106's. It's not much of a debate, really. You won't go wrong.

(This is after buying almost 10 sets of nippers to avoid buying godhands..)

Thanks y’all <3

This is a really good job. You should be proud.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i guess i should start my mg grandpa 3.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Deviant posted:

i guess i should start my mg grandpa 3.0

The only advice I have for you is try to get different hands because these ones suck

Edit: OH and get a waterslide sheet for it because the stickers it comes with also suck. That's what I did.