Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
EDIT: Thought better of this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

MF_James posted:

Intern hired 2 weeks ago attempting to exfiltrate financial data including 18 CC numbers (this is a finance intern so he should have access to this data I guess), my dude, you hosed up, you hosed up badly and I do not feel bad at all about what is about to happen because you did it in the dumbest way possible; attempted to email his personal email address (which contains his full name) from his company email with an attachment containing all the info directly.

Why would any finance person need access to the raw credit card numbers? They care about transactions not the card numbers. That’s a failure to secure PCI info.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

vanity slug posted:

let's discuss it at the CAB

Let’s not

Our CAB process is hosed. Nobody understands what a change should be and nobody ever raises concerns about changes being made because technical staff are so silo’d under non-technical leadership that nobody knows enough to object

rip

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 3, 2024

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mustache Ride posted:

Why would any finance person need access to the raw credit card numbers? They care about transactions not the card numbers. That’s a failure to secure PCI info.

Yup.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

tehinternet posted:

Let’s not

Our CAB process is hosed. Nobody understands what a change should be and nobody ever raises concerns about changes being made because technical staff are so silo’d under non-technical leadership that nobody knows enough to object

rip

there's an upside here, where you can kind of do whatever you want so long as you file your paperwork

I have seen major technical fuckups gets shielded by leadership completely because the cab places the responsibility fairly high up the food chain

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
2 different people this morning saying they need access to a shared mailbox...which is already granted... Neither knew to click on the little expand button in Outlook.

It's job security I guess.

Also got a phone call for an infrastructure admin role, which would probably be a step up, but no pay is listed and might double my commute (and be the wrong direction to carpool with the wife as we do now).

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Mustache Ride posted:

There are dozens of reasons why a finance person might need access to the raw credit card numbers, including the possibility that these are literal company cards. Maybe we can avoid jumping to conclusions about a company that's doing enough DLP due diligence to catch the exfil attempt

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

ilkhan posted:

2 different people this morning saying they need access to a shared mailbox...which is already granted... Neither knew to click on the little expand button in Outlook.

It's job security I guess.

Also got a phone call for an infrastructure admin role, which would probably be a step up, but no pay is listed and might double my commute (and be the wrong direction to carpool with the wife as we do now).

Umm help!! my Outlook email only goes back so far!! what do you mean click "Load More"??? I NEED HELP

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

MF_James posted:

Intern hired 2 weeks ago attempting to exfiltrate financial data including 18 CC numbers (this is a finance intern so he should have access to this data I guess), my dude, you hosed up, you hosed up badly and I do not feel bad at all about what is about to happen because you did it in the dumbest way possible; attempted to email his personal email address (which contains his full name) from his company email with an attachment containing all the info directly.

Lmao. Jesus christ

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Does anyone here manage a MS365 tenant and have you run into issues with your company's emails being sent to quarantine due to "URL detonation reputation"?

Apparently, this setting is now the default in M365 (or it is as of today in ours) and it can cause any messages with the same url as the sender's domain in the body or subject of the email or in attachments to be quarantined.
The URL doesn't have to be scored as anything risky, it just needs to exist in any of the previously listed places.

Needless to say, our business development group is losing their minds right now because they can't put our company URL in any emails they send or in any attachments they send.

I don't like when people put their email address in their emails signature because, much like signing your posts, I can tell what your email address is because you've just sent me a message from your email address.
When you're a desperate business development or marketing person, that's a different story, I guess.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

How today is going:

This guy's laptop was shipped off to Dell for repairs last week

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I hear that's called winning.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I think our corporate absorption is essentially complete with rolling out Netskope. Just waiting for them to say "good enough" and prevent us from disabling it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

teethgrinder posted:

I think our corporate absorption is essentially complete with rolling out Netskope. Just waiting for them to say "good enough" and prevent us from disabling it.

Ah, let me know how the Netskope rollout goes. I almost rolled it out at my last place before I left.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone ever set up a two way trust bridge between two entra tenants? Any advice.

We're moving from regular azure to government azure and boss wants an intermediate step where the former @company.com and @company.onmicrosoft.us will both work until everyone gets settled in instead of just severing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The closest thing to what you want is cross-tenant sync which is unavailable for government tenants.

From experience you want to shut people's old accounts down as quickly as possible. If you think there's stuff in the old tenant they might need to reference then invite all the new accounts to the old tenant as guest users and put them in security groups so they retain access to SharePoint etc.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We're GCCH and we had to move drat near everything to our corp overlords commercial tenant and had to use a 3rd party product to do the migration.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My boss asked my coworker to change something on the VPN.

By Monday.
Actually start the work at 4am Sunday specifically.
He “””requested””” this at 4:20pm today.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

No

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

The closest thing to what you want is cross-tenant sync which is unavailable for government tenants.

From experience you want to shut people's old accounts down as quickly as possible. If you think there's stuff in the old tenant they might need to reference then invite all the new accounts to the old tenant as guest users and put them in security groups so they retain access to SharePoint etc.

I wanted to just :sever:, but my manager didnt like that because people would be big mad over a slight inconvience.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I got offered a job in town with an office like it was a perk.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I would much rather they look at you apologetically before saying so TBH

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

jaegerx posted:

I got offered a job in town with an office like it was a perk.

Well, there are weirdos (in these forums even), that would consider that a perk. Of course, normal human beings see through their bullshit, but you can't blame them for trying.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Everyone has a price, for enough money/perks people will commute to an office

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tbf if I accepted a job that made me come into the office it would need to offer an office

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Hotel Kpro posted:

On a related subject, any central New Jersey goons? How much should I ask for the jump and they want me onsite everyday. :smith:

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 4, 2024

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Gucci Loafers posted:

On a related subject, any central New Jersey goons? How much should I ask for the jump and they want me onsite everyday. :smith:

What is the proportion of getting ready for work and commuting to and from it compared to the hours in a work day? No less than that.

I.e. if it takes you two hours a day to get ready for work and travel back and forth, you want at least a 25% raise because time is money.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hotel Kpro posted:

Lmao companies offering enough money? Get outs here

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Kibner posted:

What is the proportion of getting ready for work and commuting to and from it compared to the hours in a work day? No less than that.

I.e. if it takes you two hours a day to get ready for work and travel back and forth, you want at least a 25% raise because time is money.

this. it's a huge loss time in your life getting up early, getting ready, commuting.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

CommieGIR posted:

Lmao companies offering enough money? Get outs here

My commute time is on the clock so it's whatever to me. It's not my time that's being wasted at that point

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Ah, let me know how the Netskope rollout goes. I almost rolled it out at my last place before I left.
Relatively simple on PCs, complete nightmare on Macs, but I had to adapt Jamf directions for Mosyle. I don't know what the deal is but it's taking a hell of a long time to deploy from Mosyle. I feel like they're having problems currently they're not fessing up to as other aspects of it are misbehaving.

Lots of teething pains finding all the obscure things that depended on our static IP before, but once it's configured for the site/app, it seems to work infinitely faster than our previous VPN methods. But we don't have control over it and it reports everything to our owner. It's being used for DLP which is annoying as poo poo. Also getting occasional SSL-related and other glitches which aren't reproducible so far :rolleyes:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd be fine with doing 2 days a week in an office if I could walk/cycle there within 20 minutes. I'm never going back to spending 90 minutes on trains four times a week.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My new place is 3 days a week in the office, scheduled with your team so working together and meetings is optimized around that (rather than just doing a video meeting in the office vs doing it at home). The office is downtown so there's lots of good places to get lunch, and for me it's a 20 minute door to door commute by the train that's right by my house. There's also quite a bit of effort put in by leadership to encourage a culture where being in the office is actually enjoyable.

I do notice a very different tenor in how we work together on in-office days vs WFH days. I also notice that the way we work together in person is drastically different (in a good way) from how we worked together at my last job pre COVID when there was no WFH allowed.

I think part of that culture is hiring people who will work well in this environment, but then a bunch of intentional work around creating a culture and environment that sustains in office work. It takes a lot more than just mandating butts in seats to make it happen.

And for me, in my situation, I'm very happy with it all!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

My new place is 3 days a week in the office, scheduled with your team so working together and meetings is optimized around that (rather than just doing a video meeting in the office vs doing it at home). The office is downtown so there's lots of good places to get lunch, and for me it's a 20 minute door to door commute by the train that's right by my house. There's also quite a bit of effort put in by leadership to encourage a culture where being in the office is actually enjoyable.

I do notice a very different tenor in how we work together on in-office days vs WFH days. I also notice that the way we work together in person is drastically different (in a good way) from how we worked together at my last job pre COVID when there was no WFH allowed.

I think part of that culture is hiring people who will work well in this environment, but then a bunch of intentional work around creating a culture and environment that sustains in office work. It takes a lot more than just mandating butts in seats to make it happen.

And for me, in my situation, I'm very happy with it all!

Are you a single-site organization?

If so, I broadly agree with you based on my memories of when all my coworkers were in the same building with me. Once my team included people spread over a few hundred miles, I jumped right to "it doesn't matter where anyone is located, we communicate online."

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Edit - Sorry found the proper thread for this question.

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 4, 2024

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Zorak of Michigan posted:

If so, I broadly agree with you based on my memories of when all my coworkers were in the same building with me. Once my team included people spread over a few hundred miles, I jumped right to "it doesn't matter where anyone is located, we communicate online."

This is a big deal. When my last company started turning the screws to get people to come back to the office, my team had become distributed across five different geographically disconnected cities, for eight people (we had one "main" office with half of us, the rest scattered). You don't get "more collaboration" if you force that dynamic back into offices. You get either people having fewer face-to-face discussions because the people in offices don't want to disrupt the people around them, or you get "the office people" collaborating with each other and the others either working together or just in silos.

I'm sure you can build a team where that hybrid structure is very "collaborative." But man, when all you have to work with is a big open boiler room made out of concrete that bounces every whisper into your ear holes, it's pretty loving difficult.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
As far as I can tell the only people who like in office are either the most annoying person in the office who want a captive audience, boomers, and bootlickers (managers). And sometimes they're more than one person.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

It’s in downtown San Antonio so I’m looking at a 30 minute commute both ways. So unless they’re fine with me in office for 2 days a week from 10am to 3pm then it won’t happen. Traffic at that time would make it around 30 minutes total.

Plus I expect a lunch

E: it is appealing though because it’s owned by a Native American and they generally serve the reservation needs so I’d be traveling to some reservations.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 4, 2024

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I go in 3 days a week but yeah most people moved away so they don't even have to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Yeah, were a small tech company with less than 100 employees, all in a single office. This would all be drastically different if we were spread out. None of this would work if we were spread out and had to regularly work with people from other offices. Which, the fact that we don't have other offices (while easy for such a small company) is one of the intentional decisions they've made to support people being in the office. And in our case I think the WFH days help us structure the work as well. For example, the sales team schedules more calls/demos on their WFH days because it's easier to do at home with less office noise around you.