Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Took a mental health day today by which I mean "dropped out of a town hall teams meeting after 15 minutes" and went AWOL for the day to sit around outside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

tehinternet posted:

Healthcare IT:

lol, lmao

I’m in healthcare IT and while faxes aren’t in my job description it sounds like I’m staring down the barrel of MAC filtering for all patient care devices and I can tell it’s going to be a shitshow forever because of it

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Hotel Kpro posted:

I’m in healthcare IT and while faxes aren’t in my job description it sounds like I’m staring down the barrel of MAC filtering for all patient care devices and I can tell it’s going to be a shitshow forever because of it

Have y'all looked at something like medigate or ordr? Or even Palo's IOMT stuff if you happen to be a palo shop.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
A week or so I mentioned we had some nightmare cabling issues in a new aquisition, but had one site left. That one was worse. They had a few jacks on the wall that were a single Cat5 run that they split out to turn into 2 jacks.

Thankfully, we have permission for a full recable, and will actually run brand new cables and go to a new cabinet and everything.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hotel Kpro posted:

Healthcare IT here too and lol we do that using like 3 different appliances, Cisco ISE being one of them, and you are right, it is an ongoing shitshow that will last forever and ever and ever.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

rafikki posted:

Have y'all looked at something like medigate or ordr? Or even Palo's IOMT stuff if you happen to be a palo shop.

We have medigate, but medigate or something about the way it’s configured sucks because it doesn’t see everything on the network, some of the things it does see have no MAC address, and other things have no serial number so there’s no way to tell which device it is if multiple ones show up. And some things have two MAC addresses like the Statstrip glucose meters, one for wired and one for wireless and you can see the wired one, or the wireless one, or both, or neither in medigate

I’m not sure how well this will all work out

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

oh my godddd please don't make me help the CEO setup their touch biometric laptop sensor.

they can just type a password like the rest of us. fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Thanks Ants posted:

Took a mental health day today by which I mean "dropped out of a town hall teams meeting after 15 minutes" and went AWOL for the day to sit around outside

The best of days.

I'm due for one of those.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
WELP.

Microsoft’s latest Windows update breaks VPNs, and there’s no fix

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2320535/microsoft-windows-update-may-break-vpns-and-there-is-no-fix.html

quote:

Microsoft has no fix at the current time, the company said. “We are working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release,” the company said.

Unfortunately, the list of affected clients is rather lengthy: Windows 11 (23H2, 22H2, and 21H2) as well as Windows 10 (22H2 and 21H2).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If only more of us bought onedrive storage this could have been prevented.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Microsoft doing the lord's work.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Internet Explorer posted:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Internet Explorer posted:

:emptyquote:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I don't get using the emoticon. you can just do it. is it like a weak loophole from when gbs used to whine about it. wasn't that like a decade ago

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Old habits die hard I guess.

Unfortunately it seems nobody I directly associate with has been granted a free vacation via this update.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Coworkers job listed the day after he puts in his two weeks notice - seems kind of rude imo. Is that normal?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Presume they need a replacement for the role

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dandywalken posted:

Coworkers job listed the day after he puts in his two weeks notice - seems kind of rude imo. Is that normal?

Absolutely normal and shows a sane employer, would you prefer that it go unfilled or get slow-walked and stuck in bureaucracy?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Always remember that companies aren't families.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Often times, a company will only give you a limited amount of time to backfill a vacancy. If you let the open headcount go too long, they decide that you really didn't need it anyways.

Also, it's actually respectful to the rest of the team to try to get a backfill as quickly as possible since being understaffed sucks.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

And if they can get someone in ASAP the person leaving can train them. Win-win.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
please pray for me, for it’s that time of year again where I must fight the lonely fight against that great devil, change windows*.

Change Windows may be the most persistent bad tech practice that I run into. It inevitably leads to increased coupling of releases and encourages a permission structure for downtime inducing changes that can be avoided with better, and crucially *rapid* software development practices.

This is obviously downstream of good observability but once you have decent monitoring and o11y for your services, and have monitors in place for things like request rate, error rates, and latency it becomes significantly *safer* to engineer for zero downtime rapid releases that let you reason about the impact of changes in isolation from one another. Any company that isn’t stagnating needs to perform migration regularly, and doing more, smaller migrations more rapidly forces you to develop automated systems that enable your development efforts.

Obviously you should still announce and publish your changes. But limiting them to specific windows is anathema to mature software development organizations. They are a crutch for startups and should die as quickly as you can kill them.

*if you have guaranteed downtime or customer impact obviously that’s a different story but this should be a very rare event!

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 2, 2024

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dandywalken posted:

No, most companies are not backfilling open headcount

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

let's discuss it at the CAB

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't have change windows I have possible unplanned DR tests

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Intern hired 2 weeks ago attempting to exfiltrate financial data including 18 CC numbers (this is a finance intern so he should have access to this data I guess), my dude, you hosed up, you hosed up badly and I do not feel bad at all about what is about to happen because you did it in the dumbest way possible; attempted to email his personal email address (which contains his full name) from his company email with an attachment containing all the info directly.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
I highly recommend deleting that comment. Despite the LOLs.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I presume that's a "the police are charging you" level of gently caress up

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

I presume that's a "the police are charging you" level of gently caress up

I would assume no, we're in the business of helping folks get out of prison (or helping them after they're out), not sending them.

Accipiter posted:

I highly recommend deleting that comment. Despite the LOLs.

Not worried at all about this, dude is just gonna get canned.

This will likely just be a good lesson in "someone is always watching, just because you don't get your hand slapped when you put it in the cookie jar, doesn't mean it won't get slapped after you take it out"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

MF_James posted:

Intern hired 2 weeks ago attempting to exfiltrate financial data including 18 CC numbers (this is a finance intern so he should have access to this data I guess), my dude, you hosed up, you hosed up badly and I do not feel bad at all about what is about to happen because you did it in the dumbest way possible; attempted to email his personal email address (which contains his full name) from his company email with an attachment containing all the info directly.

lol jesus christ

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

MF_James posted:

I would assume no, we're in the business of helping folks get out of prison (or helping them after they're out), not sending them.

Not worried at all about this, dude is just gonna get canned.

I mean he should be

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

MF_James posted:

Lol he didn't even screenshot with his phone? Jesus people are bad at crime.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

jaegerx posted:

Lol he didn't even screenshot with his phone? Jesus people are bad at crime.

We would have caught this too, checkpoint has really good image recognition.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

MF_James posted:

We would have caught this too, checkpoint has really good image recognition.

notes can do OCR on iPhone.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

jaegerx posted:

notes can do OCR on iPhone.

oh derp yeah I was thinking like a screenshot in the email rofl.

Yeah, I dunno with the 100 other ways to do this, why in god's name did you do it the dumbest way possible?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

MF_James posted:

oh derp yeah I was thinking like a screenshot in the email rofl.

Yeah, I dunno with the 100 other ways to do this, why in god's name did you do it the dumbest way possible?

I'm impressed he didn't even wait a minute to figure out the system.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Dude just wrecked his entire career, and for basically nothing.

See it so often in security, but man it never ceases to amaze me how dumb people are.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

For real, you could create a card skimmer faster than becoming an intern.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Considering the shitshow that my company is, I wouldn't be surprised if he thought he'd get away with it, hell 7-8 months ago he would have (I've been here about 9-10) had I not pushed to implement at least DLP alerting, we still aren't automating anything because :reasons: but at least we have (some) knowledge of what's going on and I will hopefully get the go-ahead to do some automation on the alerts soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MF_James posted:

Maybe it's because I'm old but I'd consider pencil and paper. Or just memorising it, I assume your software can't read thoughts :tinfoil: