Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

tokin opposition posted:

just dipshit checking myself, anyone here use snipe-IT for inventory management? god help me but I'm going to push for a move to it even with my boss being herself

We use it. It does a pretty good job for what it is (basic asset management with checkout features and a reasonable security model for granting other users i.e. HR theoretically limited permissions to do things). They've added some nice features including SAML SSO though I don't believe they have SCIM yet, and while you can of course host it yourself I think it's a relatively cheap cost to have them host it - something like $400/year.

Well, relatively cheap if you don't work for a poo poo nonprofit with an idiot moron boss but uh

ah

well

nevertheless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

It's good, used it at my last job

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
snipeyhead owns, Jerm owns, everyone is very respectful by default and will also publicly tell you to gently caress off if you're a dick in their issues

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Love Snipe-IT. Used to host it myself, and yeah the creator is awesome and was responsive when I had bugs/feature requests ... that was a long time ago though.

I'd use it now but my company was already on AssetPanda which is just fine.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

So where are the freshservice stans even it comes to inventory? I always see snipeit recommended, demoed it briefly but higher ups didn't go for it back then

Has anything used IT Asset Tool? One of my techs wanted to check it out.

Started a proof of concept for Zammad helpdesk this week, seems promising to replace solarwinds

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Freshservice is good, but it's inventory features are overly complicated, and targeted at orgs doing ITIL and connecting everything in a dependency graph for change management.

Snipe-IT is for physical objects that you give to people, and has a way better user experience over all.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

The Fool posted:

Freshservice is good, but it's inventory features are overly complicated, and targeted at orgs doing ITIL and connecting everything in a dependency graph for change management.

Yeah, this pretty much nails it.

If you don’t stay on top of it or do a half-assed rollout, it can be a mess too.

In a perfect world where everyone attaches assets to tickets it could potentially be super useful for diagnosing weird gremlins or seeing patterns within the environment but… it’s nearly impossible to get most people to leave good notes, let alone actually do something.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Vulture Culture posted:

snipeyhead owns, Jerm owns, everyone is very respectful by default and will also publicly tell you to gently caress off if you're a dick in their issues

I kinda want to see what that looks like.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Used snipeit on recommendation from this thread, it's really good, but like with all asset management, not being the one stuck keeping on top of the asset management is key.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Potato Salad posted:

I kinda want to see what that looks like.
This one came up quickly in an issue search for "gently caress"

https://github.com/snipe/snipe-it/issues/3245

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Thanks for the feedback all, I don't think it's going to work but I can't help but try and improve this shitfest even when I think my time here is finite. Sadly im already the person required to keep on top of it, but anything would be better than our two hundred+ excel file approach. (Two per user plus three master ones filled with macros that break weekly. In case you were wondering, I've already gotten pushback from my coworker about changing this.)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Vulture Culture posted:

This one came up quickly in an issue search for "gently caress"

https://github.com/snipe/snipe-it/issues/3245

Goddamn they put up with a lot of aggressive bullshit for a good long time in this one.

Also, I'm gonna steal this next time I need to very gently, mostly-professionally tell someone to gently caress themselves:

quote:

Toodles,

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

CloFan posted:

So where are the freshservice stans even it comes to inventory? I always see snipeit recommended, demoed it briefly but higher ups didn't go for it back then

Has anything used IT Asset Tool? One of my techs wanted to check it out.

Started a proof of concept for Zammad helpdesk this week, seems promising to replace solarwinds

I use SnipeIT and it’s good for what it is but I’m at the point where I’d like something with a probe and scans, which SnipeIT isn’t. We are large enough that I can justify a couple thousand a year something better now.

Tested freshservice’s asset tool since we are on pro licenses already and I wasn’t super impressed compared to something like lansweeper but I’ll be looking more into options later this year.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

We are on lansweeper now, and they are jacking our price up 3x :-( so I'm looking for alternatives there too. Might get NinjaOne to replace it, although that isn't exactly the same type of tool

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Officially at the MSP and not the client anymore as of this week, tentatively took my first couple of tickets. Shadowed over one pw change and a user getting decommissioned and a new one being added, booted a server remotely, and changed an account's display name. Nothing too much, but I need to get out of the strict shift mindset of the call center, and get more used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Take lots of notes, don’t be scared to do things you don’t know how to do yet, and ask questions. Don’t have people do things for you when you can help it, ask them to help when you hit a wall.

Good luck!