Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Are you talking about Thousand Year Door? Because that's a 20 year old game lol

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Are you talking about Thousand Year Door? Because that's a 20 year old game lol

They're doing a bit about how all the Paper Mario sequels changed things from being straight-forward JRPGs to more gimmick stuff.

(Super Paper Mario was great though don't come at me.)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Getting rid off that pesky "RPG" stuff was clearly the right call on Nintendo's part.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Vandar posted:

(Super Paper Mario was great though don't come at me.)

:hai:

Yeah, I liked that one a lot, if only it hadn't turned out to be a harbinger for the weird decision making guiding that franchise.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Ariong posted:

This one is going to be difficult to communicate through text but I’ll do my best. Satisfactory is a resource-gathering and base-building game in the vein of Factorio or Minecraft if you squint, with a focus on designing and building factories and production lines for increasingly complex products.

The story is thin but serviceable by design. You are an employee of a company called FICSIT Inc. and your job is to go down to an alien planet and harvest its resources. That’s it really, your character has no name and every part of their body is obscured by a hazard suit. However, a lot of detail was put into rendering a world that is both beautiful and verdant in a familiar way but also has cool weird alien stuff, like dog-sized hummingbird-looking creatures that open their beaks to reveal flower-like mouths that seem to be designed to lure in insects.

Anyway, it’s a very chill game with a very lonely sort of vibe, at least when you’re playing singleplayer. The only “character” is the company AI that gives you the tutorial and VERY occasionally chimes in to give you information about something. Again, calling this a character would be very generous, it has no personality. The only stuff you ever hear from it is stuff like…

code:
Constructors will allow you to automate the creation of certain items you can produce at the crafting bench.
or…

code:
This material is made of various sulfides. It likely has useful incendiary properties. New research options have been added.
Stuff like that. It’s basically just a voice for what would otherwise only appear in tutorial popups.

So just now I was exploring a new part of the planet, looking for a vein of quartz crystals. I heard a noise I had never heard before, sort of a distorted… wooshing noise? Almost like signal interference. Then…

This was the first time the AI’s voice had ever chimed in without being directly prompted by me doing something new for the first time. I hadn’t heard it in like 10 hours of gameplay. Furthermore it was slightly… wrong. Like it was a slightly distorted recording being played back. I don’t know quite the right way to describe it, but between the contents of the message and the way it was delivered I instantly understood what was happening: This isn’t real. My character is hearing a voice that isn’t there.

So yeah, I almost pissed myself. It wasn’t a particularly original or sophisticated bit of psychological trickery, but it was very effective considering that in dozens of hours of gameplay the game had not done anything close to this. Anyway, I looked around for the artifact (unfortunately the dialogue had not triggered while the thing was actually in my line of sight as intended) and found it was a black sphere surrounded by enemies. As I fought them, I kept hearing things.

Unfortunately nothing else about the artifact has been implemented.

Its kinda funny that all those artifacts have been in the game since very early in the beta, and they've not mentioned them in any of the updates. The game does hit 1.0 at some point this year, so I'm kinda curious where they go with them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminds me of when in Subnautica you encounter a creature that uses a hypnotic effect to draw in prey (called the Mesmer, naturally) and when it's using that on you, you hear the voice of your PDA telling you to continue approaching that beautiful creature.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I will never get over the fact that the Somersloop is just a stussy.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Randalor posted:

But... Zephon isn't out yet...

Demo version.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

SerthVarnee posted:

Demo version.

And is this demo version in the room with us right now?

I was checking it on Steam's phone app, but I don't think it shows the demo option on there.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Randalor posted:

And is this demo version in the room with us right now?

I was checking it on Steam's phone app, but I don't think it shows the demo option on there.

Demo was for last weekend.
I'm totally not just saying what the note is telling me to say.

No I'm not trying to blink in Morse code! I have a tick!
Viva Medici!

Speaking of Medici (Just Cause 3) , I absolutely loved the radio broadcasts, with that poor kidnapped celebrity, who'd try to spin the destruction of military bases as great acts of environmentalism and benevolence.

Just the good old dictator being a loving and caring ruler, blowing up the gigantic doom fortress in order to restore the great view of the mountains.

SerthVarnee has a new favorite as of 14:21 on May 24, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Condemned: Criminal Origins is hilarious, I am reeling over this statistic. I thought they were implying here there are 28 assaults every week on another 28 citizens. Assuming they actually mean the crime rate was say 10% and rose 28% to therefore be like 12.8%, that's still a GIGANTIC jump for a city of hundreds of thousands. No wonder everyone in this city is shaped like a linebacker.

edit: this statistic completely reflects the gameplay. There is one normal person for every 20 insane people who hit you with rebar pipes.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 21:10 on May 25, 2024

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I want more spooky urbex games...

(No, not like that.)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I want a game where I can explore a hotel and all 500 of its rooms

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Meowywitch posted:

I want a game where I can explore a hotel and all 500 of its rooms

This game is so lazy. It's like they designed just one room and copied & pasted like 500 times.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The person on the left looks like a wrestler serial killer who's wearing an old lady's face. This wasn't Unreal 3 but they had the Brick Shithouse character-models down pat.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Lobok posted:

This game is so lazy. It's like they designed just one room and copied & pasted like 500 times.

That sounds incredible

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
does it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A hotel is an irl roguelike

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Spooky's Jumpscare Mansion has 1000 rooms

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

It was so lovely to see that once again, Croteam found a way to put their composer Damjan in their game.

The Talos Principle 2 opened with five straight hours of actual wish fulfillment as a massive fan of Croteam and the first Talos. No puzzles at all (outside of a museum dedicated specifically to old puzzles :3:). Just robot socialization, exploration and a heartwarming followup on anything you could imagine resulting from the first game.

Another great aspect? I could have left to do puzzles whenever, so anyone uninterested in the story followup can just get right to it!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 07:12 on May 26, 2024

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yeah, they really knocked it out of the park. Somehow I completely missed they were making a sequel so when it came out it was an amazing surprise and then it just kinda blew my mind how they just kept topping themselves. The only slight thing dragging it down was that some of the environmental puzzles required a LOT of walking around to figure out and solve, but other than that it was pretty much perfect. Also, no more time rewinding!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Condemned: Criminal Origins is hilarious, I am reeling over this statistic. I thought they were implying here there are 28 assaults every week on another 28 citizens. Assuming they actually mean the crime rate was say 10% and rose 28% to therefore be like 12.8%, that's still a GIGANTIC jump for a city of hundreds of thousands. No wonder everyone in this city is shaped like a linebacker.

edit: this statistic completely reflects the gameplay. There is one normal person for every 20 insane people who hit you with rebar pipes.

That reminds me of Dredd which depicts America as a hellish dystopia where the crime rates are at an apocalyptic level. And yet the crime rate is four times lower than actual real life America.